Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey there is an SA thread about this.

This vTuber phenomena has infected every discord I am a part of after I accidentally pushed someone into the rabbit-hole roughly a year ago and then they proceeded to pull me into it too.

It's been a wild ride and my workload is suffering because I spend more time doing this:

rather than actually work.

Still waiting for Kaichou and Haachama to return from their suspension. It really sucks that it was made to be three weeks, as they could have really used Coco's prescence this week to sort of bridge the gap between HoloJP and HoloEN. Instead it is going to just be a collab between Subaru and Kiara tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Okayu was just as powerful as I suspected. She'd make an amazing face for a TTRPG.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
My favorite part about Miko is really just how unrelentingly gay she is and I stna her for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S5E41mrTEo
When she says "issei", you just hear the disgust at the idea of a boyfriend.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Don't worry about it, I forget about it routinely, the internet just has a weird memory for the really pointless stuff.

Paper Lion posted:

imagine being routinely clobbered in a cat and mouse battle of wits and intelligence by the second dumbest person at your job

Nene gets away with a lot because she is constantly confused, has zero poker face and because of that, everyone second guesses themselves when dealing with her.

Well, the exception is Botan who can read Nene like an open book. But this has an odd way of paying off as people will prioritize killing off Botan or Okayu if they are not imposters.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Was just reading some comments on a clipper and they just decided to reveal the previous identity of Gura and I'm just so effing tired. I wish people really wouldn't.

It isn't anything problematic, but I wish people were better than that and just respected the intent of keeping privacy.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Makes me wonder how much of hololive's auditions are about making sure people mesh well within the culture of the company itself, because all of them seem to get along really well. It probably doesn't hurt that HL has people like Fubuki and Coco, who both seem to see hololive as a single entity instead of a more disparate loose group of streamers.

I'm guessing they at least filter for basic bigotry given how gay all of the girls seem and it wouldn't fly very well if someone were less than okay with that.

Also, looking at how unambiguously gay all the new Hololive members are.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I hate it so much when two separate streams I wanna watch airs at the same time. Meme challenge with Coco and Hachama or Kiara bottom lefting Fire Emblem again?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yo, maybe it'd be kinda cool, to you know, not talk about prior identities of vtubers, since anonymity is kinda part of the appeal of the package and drag in a bunch of bad vibes?

At least limit it to when it's really relevant?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Schneider Heim posted:

The HoloEN girls being mega-supportive of each other is one of the things I love most out of them, the wholesomeness is off the charts

It's kinda funny, generation 4 was initially seeing each-other as rivals, but Coco effectively brought them all together by helping them out with troubles during the debut week, generation 5 had the whole Aloe disaster, which ended up making that generation a family that runs thick as blood and this has sort of become the new MO of Hololive and that seems to be why HoloEN is so close-knit.

Heck, so far HoloFive is the only generation to work on a house collectively for their own generation in the Minecraft server.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Callie's problems are even worse than usual, bless her soul. I'm using audio from Botan right now, cause she knows her poo poo.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
That was an immensely intense round.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
In a way, I am kinda glad Aloe got to participate even if as an actual imposter viewer joining. Bitter sweet.

Also RIP VOD watchers, losing Callies perspective is a real loss to everyone because she saw some fun poo poo and had good stuff to say between technical difficulties.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I felt like people in the Among Us game kinda resolved the bad mood Gura was in by the end by apologizing at the end to her and effectively giving her virtual head-pats.

That the community decides to drag it out in the aftermath is really the only problem here, it was a bad round for Gura and there was a lot of communication barriers, but it was never Iofi/Callie/Risu's "job" to provide translations, they were there to have fun. It might illustrate the importance of Kiara for handling communication and bridging the gap that undeniably exists between JP and EN. It is a bit of a miracle that everything up to this point has gone so smoothly and it is a testament to the importance of Kiara in HoloEN imo. She was always feeling like she was the one without any kind of talent compared to the rest and really took that one negative comment about constant translations to heart and I still see people moaning about it, even as she has heftily stepped it back.

Anyway, that's all I have to say, devoting even this many words to a single collab is overthinking it. It'd be water under the bridge if people had a healthy approach to this (outside of these boards at least).

Basically,

Namtab posted:

That said, dont overthink it

dfghajgjfhdgkadghfjkdf

I didn't expect people to notice this interaction, my notifications have been dead since.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I read some of the comments on the Japanese press release, it was a mistake. loving why are people so loving racist.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Getting up at 3am to watch this live.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Will the princess fall over again?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I never realized I needed this in my life, but Korone and Callie are a great match.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
They just switched to Japanese and Korone's screen is the cutest thing while Mori forgot to change anything.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Lyer posted:

Finally was able to watch the entire Pekora/Moon collab and it was great. Pekora feeding Moona lines to say to Botan was good, but outside of that it felt like a "normal" Pekora playing minecraft with Moona stream. Which is to say, is really loving good. I wouldn't call it an amazing stream by itself, but I think it's important because we got to see real some heartwarming personal growth for two people who have had issues opening up to others and it's nice to see that in an otherwise lovely year for human relations. Hopefully this will give them confidence to have more official collabs in and out of minecraft later. I really want to see a Usada Kensetsu collab, CEO Moona, Pekora, Kiara, and Coco, where they all (just Moona and Pekora, the other two just die a lot) build something really neat.

When you consider how much of a nervous wreck Moona was leading into this stream, it's more or less god's miracle that it worked out this well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlOKP7PnSY4

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The theme of that stream was to kinda let herself go wild, so probably not worth taking too seriously.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'd totally watch Gura finish her childhood dreams, since I've done so for many of my own childhood dreams.

I think it'd be really nice if people figured out common lockups for that game near the end game figured out how to circumvent said bugs and sent it to her ahead of stream though.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

The Algorithm just played a video for me of a vtuber actor irl singing so maybe watch out if a live action japanese music video shows up on your screen.

I'm not one for Kayfabe but it's almost disconcerting seeing a real face with the voice.

The algorithm has been really bad with this lately. I've tried to maintain a bit of respectful distance to their past identities, but then suddenly YouTube just shoves it in my face like hey, maybe you'd be interested.

I regret yelling at a few friends for digging around now.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
How does Fubuki customize the character like that anyway? I'd be interested in picking up playing it (I apparently already own it) if I could change it like that.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

DalaranJ posted:

Who is the woman replacing(?) Rushia, with the pink ponytails?

From a while back, but in my head-cannon that's her lich form, since Callie is the grim reaper.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Perfect for page 777.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It happened on Watame's stream last night too. So I think the problem is YouTube-wide.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Patware posted:

pikamee is an electric

i don't know why but i see electric-coded characters have sharp teeth a lot

Because of jumper cables.

Jerkface posted:

We need more vtubers representing the most apex predetor: human maids

Oga from Holostars really needs a butler outfit. That still shows his nipples.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 29, 2021

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Huke at the time the pacifier was revealed:
https://twitter.com/hukeweb/status/1389699893422215168

Roughly translates to "I've done it now" or "I messed up".

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Brunom1 posted:

I noticed that as well. It kinda looks like a flat texture, which is quite jarring compared to the quasi-3D quality the rest of her has.

The secret to Live2D is that it is all flat texture surfaces moving about to give a sense of depth. The illusion works because we can contrast and see how the elements interact. But when it comes to a tail you have really only two options. Make it always face the viewer or move like a chair.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Jerkface posted:

tfw bubba on Ames head has better rigging than 2 million subs vtuber

I know this is people's go-to number for success, but the average number of people watching her streams are about the same as some other tubers, she's got only number 17 in most super chatted, so her audience is probably on the younger side.

One of the numbers she's very successful in, but there's a broader picture as well and we don't have access to all of the data there.

Each girl has their own struggles to deal with.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Hiro Protagonist posted:

The interesting thing for me about Kiara is that she went from my least favorite HoloEN at debut to my favorite right now. At debut, everything about her was over designed, from there character design, to back story, to general vibe. Now it's clear that was just because of Kiara's unbridled enthusiasm for everything, but at the time, it was a bit off-putting.

The irony, I think, is Kiara seemed inauthentic for the same reasons she now seems to be one of the most authentic people within Hololive. The weird forceful flirty with Calli has normalized, and has seemed less like cynical preemptive shipping now that it's clear Kiara is gay as hell, and is great friends with Calli. The weird fried chicken manager backstory background has become a hilarious basis for her whole relationship with chat, and her dumb design has become weirdly endearing.

When everyone debuted, Kiara felt like she was the one without a niche, but I think her niche is that she's the infectious extrovert, the glue between HoloEN, and connecting HoloEN to HoloJP.

This sums up how I feel about her too. I think the moment that sealed it in for me was when she was moderating dialog in the Among Us stream, since we also got a glimpse of how hard that can be later when Iofi tried to do the same thing.

She and Coco serve the same role from opposite ends and I think Hololive has become a warmer and more welcoming place due to them.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I don't even have time to watch all of my favorites in Hololive, never mind following others outside of them.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Ryuran is a fairly active member on the Watame fan discord and has a reputation for being a "bad boy".

The Watame fan discord is also the only discord I can follow because it's less active than the rest.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I recall Callie changed her on-screen behavior after receiving some Marshmellows telling her she is dog water, which convinced her that children are watching her show.

Which is a fair assessment of anyone actually using dog water as a pejorative.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

paranoid randroid posted:

more specifically she spent like five minutes making fun of the people talking poo poo in her mentions and used that guy as an example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOibrqfRbAY&t=3s

It's a pretty girl-boss moment.

EDIT: Also the reality I learned from looking online is that it is an insult used exclusively by people playing Fortnite.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's literally the poo poo-posting meme review, not necessarily the golden egg meme review.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

leather fedora posted:

At least someone appreciated this week's behemoth of a meme:
https://twitter.com/tsunomakiwatame/status/1396316367964368896

Watame... Truly precious sheep.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Wudz posted:

Importantly she no longer looks like a zero years old baby, instead looking like small child. How exactly do years work wherever she's supposed to be from

My head-cannon: it works like on Earth, revolutions around the sun, but she's from the moon and the moon doesn't revolve around the sun, but around the Earth and Lunarian logic follows that they are all 0 years old as the moon has yet to independently revolve around the sun.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's a little bit difficult to judge from 12 little pages, but we will see. Not incredible for or against, but it's a bit interesting that the characters memes are being turned into their weapons and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I feel like a mess right now and it's not just because it's 5 am here.