Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I love that Choco-sensei managed to unravel a Miko-fied mess on two separate occasions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Adding to the discussion about how much the Hololives are making, I've seen Korone tweet on at least two separate occasions about having to delay or cancel a stream because she had to work late. Could be Hololive-related work of course (signing merch, recording songs, listening to lectures about idol purity, I don't know), but you'd think Yagoo would let his talent go home to do the streams that actually make him money. Makes me think whether maybe she has a regular job to supplement her Hololive income, and if a subscriber powerhouse like Korone can't get by on Hololive money alone, I doubt any of the others can.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

nielsm posted:

When we're those tweets? August 2020 Korone's channel took in around $47k gross in superchats.

Source: https://playboard.co/en/youtube-ranking/most-superchated-all-channels-in-japan-monthly

The latest one was from August 12th:
https://twitter.com/inugamikorone/status/1293439119922626561

Also here she's talking about working in a bakery, but that might just be part of her character:
https://twitter.com/inugamikorone/status/1196351209675743232

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

god drat coco's really raking in 150k a month in superchats

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Exia posted:

Mio announced that she will be returning on September 5th

https://twitter.com/ookamimio/status/1301822675841462273

great!!

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Botan is good and chill, and doesn't feel like she's forcing herself to play a character.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

I like Ninomae, which is written out with the kanji for the number 1, but reads "the one before 2"

Didn't a recent anime do the exact same pun? I want to say Wasteful Days of High School Girls.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

5G are starting their time on the MC server and Miko’s back yay :unsmith:

i love this thumbnail

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Tae posted:

Probably Choco since she gave the quiz about knowledge, then Kanata who scored the highest by a mile.

Link for the lazy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMiCRn8YwAI

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

trucutru posted:

Holy poo poo! that hololive moments manifesto is freaking long! It may as well be stimpire.txt but like gently caress I am going to read more than the opening paragraph to find out.

more like simp-ire dot txt

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Trihugger posted:

I'm kinda surprised how under the radar this clip has gone. No memes about Suisei's mom joining Hololive EN Gen 2 or anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO95kKY_I60

It's insane to me that someone can play Tetris at this level while still talking and responding to chats.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Iofi's a really good artist too

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Eej posted:

Weird thing to say when they pretended nothing was wrong up until the exact point the Olympic commitee decided to postpone and their initial response was "the government will provide one disposable mask to each household"

Two washable masks, but yeah, lol. Also the masks are tiny and objectively worse than anything you can buy in a conbini or on the internet.

Japan's main saving grace with regards to the pandemic is that people were already used to wearing masks in public. The official government response has been fairly lackluster, and far less proactive than say many European countries.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

someone please find and emptyquote the post itt that was like "coco's 100% getting fired" so that we can all laugh at it, tia

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

blossommirage posted:

Streetlight Manifesto.

lol hell yeah

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

important statement from haachama and coco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBUcfqdrSmY&t=214s

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Oh Snapple! posted:

It continues to blow my mind that all of this happened due to reading youtube analytics

Cover managed to do everything wrong along the way. This could've blown over in a day or two after the initial Haachama stream, but they kept fanning the flames with their incompetence, and now several people are out of a job. Great job Yagoo.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Kanos posted:

I'm not really going to defend Cover's fumbling response here because I think the suspension of Coco and Haachama was dumb as hell, but what on earth makes you think anything they did or did not do would have caused this to "blow over" after a day or two? The nationalists have kept up this poo poo for literally weeks despite Cover openly punishing the supposed perpetrators, and they've been loud and angry enough about it that they've managed to convert "Haachama and Coco said Taiwan" into "Hololive is losing their entire bilibili audience". The antis had a confirmed target and nothing Cover could have said or done besides outright firing Coco and possibly Haachama was going to satisfy them.

Short of Cover bending over backwards and openly prostrating themselves to the whims of the Chinese audience in every regard(which would have almost assuredly included firing Coco), I don't really see any other path that could have been taken that would not have ultimately resulted in some kind of major rupture. Hell, even if they took that route and fired Coco to try to keep the Chinese antis happy, you'd just have the same problem except the JP and EN audiences would be mega pissed off instead and people are still losing their jobs unfairly.

Look it's probably easy for me to say this because I don't run a virtual idol agency, but they should've just completely ignored it. There is no winning with insane nationalists, so you just don't engage with them. Responding to these complaints in any way only validates them, and Clover's response (sucking up to China in the Japanese version and completely ignoring the China issue in the English one) was particularly hamfisted.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Raenir Salazar posted:

I get what you're saying here, but I think it's a matter of mindset here where I think many of us just want to enjoy these people as characters, whether it be to be chill, to laugh, to reset and recover from a world gone mad in a year that's drained all of us of a decade of our lives it's just nice to be able to immerse yourself in the world where you know these characters aren't "real" but because of that space makes it more endearing and enjoyable so its nice to not have to think about it to deeply.

Like it would be very stressful to actually consider how much of the content is affect vs interest for people for whom such content is relatable and I imagine dwelling on the individuals behind the kayfabe for some people might be too much of a slippery slope its just easier to avoid thinking about if everyone else also plays along.

I think the occasional glimpses of the real person behind the anime avatar are a big part of the appeal though, and that Hololive wouldn't be as huge as it is now if they all stayed in character 100% of the time. Things like Pekora's NEET life, Marine's troubled work history, and basically anything coming out of HoloHouse aren't just great content, they also make them more relatable. Or maybe a better example would be Miko's absence: Hololive could've tried to come up with an in-character reason for her three-month break, but the fact that they were fairly open about the real reason drew out huge fan support in a way that a kayfabe-compliant cover-up wouldn't have.

Of course there's a line between enjoying the occasional glimpse behind the curtain and straight-up doxxing, but luckily that's an easy line to draw ("did they volunteer this information on air, y/n").

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Raenir Salazar posted:

Right, I agree I tried to reference that the peeks we do get adds to the appeal, but it's also something that they 100% control, compared to say, people on an internet forum accidentally shakespearsing their way to new information.

Or compared to the YouTube algorithm deciding that I'm interested in knowing what Korone looks like in real life. Thanks a bunch, algorithm.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Twelve by Pies posted:

If it's the video I'm thinking of that's a joke video (it's a video clip of a dog).

I didn't click on it but the thumbnail showed a real person sitting in a chair from a webcam perspective.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Kata-Haro posted:

Yeah Flare mansion is definitely one of the most creative things on the server. Her sense of aesthetics is impressive.

Anyone know who built the upside-down house?

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

DrPaper posted:

I don't have any subs yet, so Idk how they do it, thought I'd ask. When they do a movie watch, they just tell you when they're starting the movie right?

Yeah. Some also have a timer with the current timestamp on screen, in case you need to sync up later.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Onean posted:

I just saw the 5th gen are playing Ark right now, and, uh, Polka?!

Polka's stream

Watching vtubers play Minecraft made me get back into Minecraft for the first time in years, but watching vtubers play Ark has the exact opposite effect. The more I see of this weird lumpy game the less I want to ever play it.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

The Among Us player base seems really bad

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Oh Snapple! posted:

I will happily take "that podcast sucks" chat over "people trying to toe the line on talking about previous identities"

I will happily take either over "zero context live reactions to ongoing streams"

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

dungeon cousin posted:

I'm not quite sure I know what an off collab is.

Offline collaboration, in the sense that they're in the same room together.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

pro-click, this rules

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Minrad posted:

isn't it an actual genetics thing that asian people have less sweat glands and thus stink less than caucasians

i seem to recall seeing many stories from white people going insane trying to find deodorant in japan/china

the genetics thing is true to some extent, but deodorant is easy to find, at least in japan

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I still haven't figured out if Cooking Simulator is supposed to be a purposefully wonky comedy game or if the devs intended it as a serious simulation and most people are just bad at it.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

leather fedora posted:

Fubuki will be hosting a word-description game in about 10 minutes. None of the usual suspects (except Miko) but that should make it all the more amusing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZmBM1JIvv8

Pekora is currently imitating a dryer. Quality content.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

kirbysuperstar posted:

Do they come from some royalty free repository or something?

Yeah, I forgot the name but they're from a Japanese site with a huge archive of clipart that is explicitly free to use.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/JeshyQt/status/1345598822328664065?s=09

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Jerkface posted:

The pepeloni, pepeloni. Knowest thou the pepeloni? The nay one? Forsooth, evermore do I request the domino, domino pepeloni; with naught pepeloni. Evermore, the pepeloni with naught pepeloni. Pepeloni! I am fond of pepeloni. Evermore do I request the cheese, cheese pan. How shall I articulate? Mayhaps an engraving will suffice. Evermore, I request, forsooth, the cheese pan that hath cheese on here, this part, the ear. Ear of pizza. Having done so I order, when I order the pepeloni the ear, it hath pepeloni on its surface. But I pluck it out. Begone, knave! Because I consume it not. Then I partake of the cheese pan pizza.

Needs more cackling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Kyte posted:

Please somebody teach these people that beer is not a substitute for water.

For those wondering about the linked image:

Him being an absolute weirdo aside, as far as I can tell his point is solid.

who loving cares, the skirt is off-screen 99.9% of the time anyway