Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Mod and OP OK'd this via PM already. I promise I won't spam you guys with more stuff if you're not interested. :smith:

A good friend of mine fell down the VTuber rabbit hole last year and decided to launch her own character/channel this year. I originally groaned at the idea because holy gently caress are there a lot of bad indie VTubers, but I have to admit that she's put together an actually good character and setup. So, I ate my words and said I'd help her get word out that she's starting. I'd like to share her with you folks to see if any of you would be interested in checking out her debut next week at 20:00 Pacific on 29JAN.. :) I actually think she's got something pretty awesome going on with this one. :)

Her ship crashed on earth while on auto-pilot (it was sandwich time) and now she's pretending to be a summer-camp counselor while she repairs it in secret. The kids have all gone home for the year, so she's streaming while she has the whole place to herself. Her content will feature video games, raiding the counselors' secret booze stash for drunken chat, gesture/figure drawing sessions as well as longer art projects (think Ina's art streams), and the occasional karaoke stream. Depending on viewership, she may also do Hindi-language streams on occasion since she is bilingual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Dt5SRzLF8

Her Channel

Debut week schedule:

Luna promises she won't kill you. Probably.

I'm trying to think of someone to compare her to (you know, "if you like X, you might also like Luna), but I'm honestly having trouble with that. She's sarcastic, witty, a good artist (not manga, FYI), but she sort of fits into her own little category personality-wise, at least among the EN-language tubers I've seen. Maybe there's a JP or ID who is comparable, but I don't speak the languages. As best I can tell, she's her own person and I'm honestly pretty hyped for the launch. :)

TL;DR?
1) Female EN streamer who streams in NA times.
2) Live2D, 1080p 60fps stream.
3) Remarkably high-quality rig/model for an indie, and I'm seriously jealous of her PC.
4) Games, art, singing, drinking, and collabs TBA.
5) Jan 29, 8:00 PM Pacific Time.

She says, "Be there or you'll miss out on the cookies." If you guys have any questions, I can relay them to her, or I can STFU and we can all go watch idiots in chat talk about Kiara and Calli's wedding for the hundredth straight stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Kyte posted:

That's a really good design! Only thing I'd point out is that the boing is a bit much. She might want to turn it down at some point.

I've passed the feedback along to her. Thanks! :)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Kyte posted:

That's a really good design! Only thing I'd point out is that the boing is a bit much. She might want to turn it down at some point.

Just to follow up: She turned it down a bit for the new promo video. Looks like the rigger hard-coded the boing in that "tee hee" emote, but it feels a bit less ridiculous now elsewhere. I recommended to her that she pull up a Calli video, and if her boing is boingier than the Queen of Boing, to tone it back until it's comparable.

Potty humor for everyone, courtesy of my buddy Luna:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLqwIlT_Ago

Unrelated to my friend's stream: I absolutely loving love Callie's streams. Something about her personality is just so delightfully approachable that I can't help but stan for her. I can't sit through anyone's streams for 2+ hours, hers included, but damned if I'm not checking in regularly when she is streaming. I was there just in time for crossing the 1M line and holy god, the rainbow of superchats + her general reaction were priceless. When you look at everyone in Gen1 HoloEN, Cover won the loving lottery with that group re: talent and personality across the board.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
If any of you folks are up at 20:00 PST / 23:00 EST tonight, my friend Luna is ready to go and is debuting tonight! :)

There won't be any singing in her debut due to copyright stuff (she doesn't want to un-archive her debut, understandably), so she's gonna close it out with improv art using fortune cookies + chat suggestions. (Think the old "in bed" game with fortune cookies, but say whatever insane poo poo comes to mind and she has to draw it on the fly.)

Week 1 is five days of Hat In Time, Death Road to Canada and art streaming. Singing will make its appearance in the near future, but she's not quite ready yet. Soon, though. :)

Direct link to the stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re72oHmbL4Y

(I'd say this was the last time I'd post her stuff, but I'd be a lying rear end in a top hat then. :haw: At least now, it'll be links to streams instead of stupid promo images / 1min clips.)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Sindai posted:

Made in Abyss continues to be surprisingly popular amongst vtubers

quote:

its cause they're all pedophiles

Yeah it's really weird how such a potentially intriguing plot got paired with WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU, WRITERS?!? If there was a way to scan everyone who ever watched it, you could probably find a great correlation between "people who didn't shout 'what the gently caress' at their TVs and promptly skip large portions of certain episodes" with unsolved sex crimes.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 30, 2021

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Takoluka posted:

Not sure I'm on board with her thoughts on modern art, but uhh... jizzbeans. That's a new one.

Mmmm tasty.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

It's actually cool she doesn't draw anime-style because I feel like that vtuber artistic market is pretty saturated anyway.

Be better if she drew cubism though.

She choked hard under nervousness on the art part. :( Hope it goes better for her next time. I think the rest of her stream went pretty well, but we'll see once she starts up more games and stuff. She'll be doing Hat in Time tomorrow, and then Death Road to Canada after that.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

Luna has to do an Among Us stream at some point, right?

What should we call Indy Luna to differentiate her from Princess Luna? Camp Counselor Luna? Captain Luna?

Among Us is absolutely on her list. She'll be pulling people in to play from chat, and then collabs with other streamers as well once she has a few more connections. Thanks so much for coming to watch her stream, by the way. I really appreciate you guys helping her feel good about the launch. :)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

Haha Gura was going to sing Ahoy as an encore

I took one look at "stream sponsored by crunchyroll" and realized that irony is well and truly dead.

Wudz posted:

Am I the only one who really doesn't get the "ara ara" thing

Gonna guess you're not a 13-yr-old with an oedipus complex. :v: IndySpaceLuna has been going back and forth on a joke "ASMara-ara" show just to cross the streams and see if it'll blow up the internet. Probably already been done a zillion times, though; neither of those themes do anything for me, so I haven't bothered checking.

In other news, IndySpaceLuna is playing a Hat In Time at 20:00 PST tonight if you're up for a show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pvqmfKmVhE

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

kiara just announced she and calli are going on their honeymoon next week

Hear that? That's the sound of ten thousand fan-artists hard at work raunching it up.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

golden bubble posted:

Can you believe Ina used to fit before she discovered anime and her love of art? She used be a lifeguard and participate in long swimming races before her friends introduced her to anime. Now going up stairs makes her ina-hausted.

*sigh* Anime ruins everything. :(

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

sliami posted:

why are you still vtube fans. Just to suffer

It started out as sort of a train-wreck kind of thing, and then I discovered that Callie was sorta cool. :3: Though seriously, I can barely sit through even my friend's streams, let alone streams for people I don't know. Those weirdo vidclippers who make summary videos of everyone's streams are right up my alley re: willingness to actually sit through this stuff.

(Coincidentally, this is also why I like VShojo's Nyanners -- she often uploads VOD highlights of her streams, so I get to laugh at 9 minutes of utter chaos instead of it being diluted by two hours of blah. Her Cooking Simulator video where she made pumpkin soup and borscht made me laugh harder than I've laughed in quite a while.)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
IndySpaceLuna got her first fan art this morning. She's pumped. :D

She'll be doing an art stream at 8PM Pacific tonight, followed by Death Road to Canada tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiRcvm63NaM

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

sliami posted:

She fuckin what

Her first EP hit #1 on iTunes USA, Global, and UK charts for a day or two, plus apparently (I didn't know this) Spotify too. Amazing what a sudden influx of like 250K+ purchases in a day can do, huh? (It actually reminds me a lot of the approach indie authors used to use on Amazon for visibility until Amazon redid the algorithm.)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tabletops posted:

I was gonna ask how many purchases in a quick burst it takes to get there. Is it really that many?

I made up a number, but it's probably way too high. She didn't have 1M+ subscribers back then, so my "eh, what if 25% bought?" thinking coming to 250K is nonsense. I have no idea what it takes to hit #1 on digital music charts.

[quote]
I don't know what I was expecting, but her twitter profile being (all-caps) "GREATBLACKOTAKU" was certainly not on the shortlist. I love it.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 1, 2021

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

There was discussion of the matter on Twitter after she topped iTunes. Some reviewers of the EP agree that it’s not the most technically proficient or impressive album, yeah.

Oh yeah it was definitely a fandom-spike and not actually "top of the list" good. From my perspective, it's kind of a who the hell cares sort of thing though. She's having fun with it (identityspoiler) and after years and years of her previous identity producing some pretty awesome poo poo (I legit enjoyed "Alcatraz") and getting only minimal recognition apart from one video that wasn't even for her own music, it's nice to see her top the charts even if it's for an EP that didn't "deserve it." I see it as a back-dated IOU being paid out. :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Fabulous.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
IndieSpaceLuna's stream has gone backward in time to where they're talking about Saturday Anime and the 1977 Hobbit movie. :lol:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

RealFoxy posted:

There's just a handful of vtubers on Twitter I've seen spend more time complaining they weren't given a shot, or arguing with people over some petty drama and trading the same ~100 or so followers between other vtubers that post a lot on twitter but rarely actually stream and I'm just not exactly sure what they're expecting. Anyone with the money or connections can drop $2k on getting an avatar commissioned and animated. That's probably the type of people who think Calli were dissing them in that track.

I'll shut up after this re: topic, I promise. :v:

When I started helping out ISL with her stuff, I clicked around people's twitter profiles as she was fleshing out her account, only to see people with thousands of twitter followers and not a single loving video. Nothing. Not a 3-min highlight video, not a debut, not even a loving 10-sec joke video like Ollie zipping across the screen and making car sounds. ISL didn't post a single goddamned thing until she'd gotten a few videos up, just to make sure there was something to look at even if it was as silly as her face overlaid on slither.io making chomping sounds. The idea of going out and being like "HEY NEW VTUBER HERE, NO I HAVE NOTHING TO SHOW YOU" was preposterous to her. Looking around Twitter, there are hundreds and hundreds of people showing up in feeds who have never created anything, even when their twitch/YT accounts are multiple years old. It legit blows my mind.

Sure, a custom Live2D is (relatively) expensive, but you can commission a custom-textured VRoid Studio model for $200-300 easy, and sub-$750 will get you a very acceptable custom 3D VRM, possibly even rigged for MMD if you want to create content that way. If you aren't too picky and are just getting started or don't have that kind of money, you can make your own free one or buy really cheap (<$5.00) outfit reskins off Booth to apply to your VRoid Studio model without dishing out for custom content. A perfectly good microphone for your average indie experiment will cost you $50, maybe $100 in COVID-times given the WFH scalping. OBS Studio or StreamLabs are both free. There are tons of free or sub-$10.00 overlays, etc etc. Reaper VSTs are free and it's a crime not to use them or an equivalent. You can seriously sit down to learn the software, drop $500 on a 3D model/cam/mic, and you'll look / sound better than 95% of all the people out there doing this. Even a teenager can get started doing this for like $50 or less (assuming they have a mid-tier PC or an iPhone, of course - that and reasonable internet are actual, legit barriers to entry). You don't need to have won the genetic lottery and have the voice/body of an angel, either; all you need to do is sit your rear end in a chair and not get up until you've made something, and yet people who claim loudly that they want to be VTubers still won't actually do it.

I saw the same thing back in my writing days - the real writers were kicking out actual published work (a novel every two months, a short story once a week, etc) while KBoards was full of people on year five of world-building their novel, and enough forum posts to fill a Brandon Sanderson novel. Most of my writing buddies stopped publishing because they're millionaires now and have retired off their royalties, and I bet if I ever go back to KBoards I'll see a bunch of the same people still talking about their epic novel that they're still working on from 2011.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 2, 2021

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
ISL decided to screw with the HoloLive Reddit a little and has a five-part series of "push all their buttons" drawings scheduled. Part 1: Kiariel, Gen1 member of HoloDisney.

As of this post, it is predictably well into the negative ratings.:lol:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

serefin99 posted:

...Does the Hololive subreddit not like Disney or something? That looks pretty good. Face is a bit wonky, but it's still miles and leagues above anything I could make.

It's really hit or miss on anything westernized. I mean, I get it given it's not what they're there for, but at least a few ppl take it as a personal affront. :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh, her. I didn't realize we were using initials now and thought this was just some random reddit drama.

quote:

its bad branding, to be one letter off of ISIL for your acronym. imo. not a market researcher though.

Sorry - I shortened it in this thread since for the purposes of most conversation here, when people talk about "Luna" they're talking about the HoloLive princess and not the random indie. I'll pick something else to describe her. :)

quote:

Is it? While I can't see the vote tally yet, reddit's telling me it has a 94% upvote rate, which absolutely wouldn't push it into the negatives (Luna's secondary post in the thread is at +2, also).

Yeah looks like it was a bunch of negatives out of the gate and now it's fine. It dropped as low as -6 and now is at +18. *shrug* My bad, jumped the gun there.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Ultima66 posted:

Also very strange decision to make Kiara a fish.

I passed along the stuff about the nose and head shape because she did that in her Calli art previously too and IMO it's not good (and I know she can make good faces, so I had no idea wtf was up). This one about why a fish, I can answer though!

Chicken of the sea :haw:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Pixelated zombies are never out of style. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HurY8LSiUY

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Indie Space Luna (Goona? Oh god that's the worst name yet) has posted up her schedule for the week. Twitter poll voted for Minecraft and Hollow Knight this week, so she'll be doing two minecraft streams, a hollow knight, and a split art/chat stream on Saturday to give early birds a chance to join in as well. Depending on the timing of RL stuff, she may also throw in a semi-surprise "play games with fans" stream for Among Us, but that's going to depend on real world things. She didn't want to promise more than she could deliver this week.

Tonight is Part 2 of "A Hat In Time" at 20:00 PST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUozx2MyF5c

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Lazy Saturday art stream starting in 2 min for Space Luna. She's switched over to a watercolor-specific program that she likes working with better than CSP, but the subject for the day is still going to be HoloDisney (Amelia today, redone as Tinkerbell) so skip it if that isn't your thing. :)

...though right now, she's talking about deadlifting dead deer for woodland workouts. :wtc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0W-1BRMQXk

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Potsticker posted:

This was a lot of fun.

Very important lore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0W-1BRMQXk&t=4342s

She had to make the stream private and edit it/reupload, because she just can't seem to stop calling herself by real name mid-stream. Here's the link in the public version with some extra scrubbing, set to your previous timestamp. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXnYEzjhFdc&t=4342s

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Potsticker posted:

LOL, I kinda glossed over that when it happened. It was a very "is she talking about someone else?" moment before realizing it was probably her real name. Sadly I wasn't able to tune in for the evening stream as I was busy elsewhere.

Yeah, one of the nice things about starting small, at least, is that there are only ~20-40 people there to hear it. :v: It also isn't as big a blow when she has to edit it out of videos and loses all the chat text as a result.

I figure the slipups are probably a result of not being used to the whole second persona thing that a lot of gamers/terminally-online folks have. I've been calling myself Sundae for literally 20 years now, and I'm pretty sure that (well, apart from the two decades thing, god I'm old now) most of the bigger VTubers have similar levels of comfort with online identities. Space Luna has never actually had an online persona at all apart from a sparsely-populated Facebook page; somehow, she managed to remain uninfected by the disease of modern internet until the pandemic locked everyone inside for a whole loving year.

On the topic of Ina's art (I'm really late to that conversation), what blows my mind most about it isn't even the quality (though she's really really good) but how loving fast she is for the quality she churns out in her dedicated streams.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 7, 2021

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Potsticker posted:

That's pretty impressive! I'm also in the camp where my internal name for myself is basically my internet moniker at this point. Space Luna definitely impressed me with how non scuffed of a stream she has for being so new. Very easy going and easy to watch, fun to interact with. Reading comments out loud before understanding them is probably the only thing that really stood out as something she could work on. Not just as like a "look out for troll names/comments" thing, but just like "this will make sure you're going to be able to respond to it."

I'll pass that feedback along to her before her next stream. Thanks! :)

Lyer posted:

The scary thing is how much better it gets if she actually puts in effort into it (Super Duper Nenechi).

100% agreed. That piece was so good. I also really loved her new year piece, but IIRC that one also took her quite a while between all the blender work and the drawing. So, so well done though.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

RealFoxy posted:

Korone streaming 20 hours a day

How is she not regularly burning out? :wtc:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Kyte posted:

I was surprised at how much shade was thrown at the previous rigging, so I went to check who was her previous rigger and turns out she never have one credited. It makes me wonder if her Live2D rigging was a test for doing the work in house or something.

Did I miss a re-rig on Kiara, by any chance? I was watching her chocolate stream last night (oh god phrasing) and the range of motion on rotation seemed way, way better than I remembered from earlier streams.

E: Also, unrelated -- has anyone seen a collection of VTuber desk/rig videos or photos? I'm trying to do a better job with cables and accessory positioning, and it's remarkably challenging to get a microphone, cam, and digital tablet positioned in a compatible way since you can't let anything block the streamer's face at any point without Live2D flipping out on you, and because you pretty much have to have at least a 3/4 front view or you're hosed on face tracking. Mimicking RL streamer setups only gets you so far since the human eye is more forgiving than Live2D interpretation programs.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 7, 2021

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Death Road to Canada, where everyone dies but a single dog named Reno. ~45 sec clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pHBdwT3ZB4

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Space Luna is going live right now in Minecraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd_X6pbs8D0

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I have a question, re: content for people who regularly watch Minecraft streams. How much variety are you expecting in activity during it? Or is simply active chat + chill what's fun about it? Space Luna and I had an argument after her stream last night, in particular about the hour she spent terraforming a desert mountain in a new server. My stance: She literally moved sand around for a full hour with nothing else to break the monotony apart from chatting, which must have been super boring to people. Her stance: She had to build a foundation for the base she wants to make, and chat didn't complain about it + watchers remained constant/went up, so people didn't leave out of boredom. (She is correct re: watcher count - it increased over the evening.)

The one thing we both have in common on this is that neither of us understands why someone would watch a streamer play Minecraft in the first place. She wants her streams to be entertaining, so if you have thoughts on what makes a Minecraft stream fun to watch, I'll gladly pass them along. :)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tae posted:

If the streamer is bored of minecraft, don't stream minecraft. It's that simple.

The streamer isn't bored of minecraft. She likes playing it, but doesn't understand why anyone watches it. Slightly different scenario. :)

Thanks for the answers, to everyone else.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Falls Down Stairs posted:

for real I think most vtubers are too young to have ever posted here

e: I'd be less surprised by Coco having ever lurked here than anyone in HoloEN

Haachama is actually Avshalom this whole time. :ssh:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
You know what my favorite thing is? Scheduling stuff weeks in advance, only to find out when you get to it that you've somehow put the same game in the same week as HoloLive TWICE. :suicide:

But yeah, if you're not tired of Hollow Knight yet, Space Luna has it scheduled for tonight (blind playthrough, new game).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg0kREZ6KLk

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

RealFoxy posted:

They'd be impossible, Twitch already had their own karaoke interface and they dropped support because of DMCA stuff (Or they just didn't want to support it anymore, they're never actually honest)

It was song license costs. They had a catalog of rotating songs they had licenses to use, but the general cost of them + keeping the catalog fresh was unpalatable.

Beyond that, anyone who sees Youtube/Google's copyright strikes as the worst thing ever has never had to deal with anything owned by Amazon (aka Twitch). Their policy is "shoot first, ask never" in everything they do regarding legal liability, and they will pull your content with no recourse or real means of appeal in a heartbeat. Meanwhile, Facebook Live has banned all streaming activities that create a music listening environment, whether you own the rights / wrote the song / blah blah or not. Their TOS update more or less just says "nope, we're not going to deal with this poo poo, no music performances whatsoever, even your own songs."

YT is the only even remotely reasonable game in town if you want to cover a song or do karaoke. They're still a bitch, but the rest are so much worse that it defies comparison.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Oh hell yes. I know what I'm spending this weekend doing. :v:

Absolutely unrelated to that: More minecraft tonight at 8PM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UjUpma81Fg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

HiveCommander posted:

I don't recall anyone saying their friend got recruited, but I think it was Sundae who said their friend applied to the VSinger role and wasn't a fit for it.
If anyone did get recruited, telling their friends would be a very bad idea. There's almost certainly an NDA they would be breaching, and would be a fast way to get fired pre-debut if their friends decided to talk about it on the internet.

Nah, she didn't go anywhere near VSinger. I saw someone claiming on Reddit that their friend was recruited, but (1) bullshit IMHO, and (2) it wasn't Luna.

quote:

I also noticed that the Holo EN sign up says gender irrelevant, which is interesting.

And then like five lines down, it says "all-female" so they probably mean "gender is irrelevant (but we're only going to pick women)" or "gender is irrelevant (as long as you can play a female character)."