Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Like a year ago I felt vaguely disdainful toward the whole virtual youtuber phenomenon but didn't really know why. Fast forward to now and I'm picking up Japanese language study again so I can listen to more of these goofballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

nielsm posted:

Yeah that's what really surprised me when I fell in mid July. These people are really pouring a whole lot of themselves into the characters, to the extent I think some of the "new-style" vtubers are in fact more real than many of the reaction-cam streamers. The vtubers are wearing an avatar as a mask and using a character voice, but I think that really allows them to put more of their real personality into it all, as the mask insulates their vtuber identity from their offline identity.

Thank you for listening to my TED talk.

With most twitch streamers who have face cams or whatever, we all know they're playing a character to some extent, but everyone's supposed to buy into the kayfabe, and sometimes it's really jarring when that breaks down, it creates a really odd kind of parasocial relationship. The best non-virtual streamers/youtubers are those just being themselves and having fun playing games. Paradoxically, vtubers having this layer of mask/insulation/distancing seems to allow them more freedom to just have fun and be genuine, as if making the artificiality obvious removes the need to pretend.

Yeah I've been thinking about this a lot.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

TRPG collab? These girls need to play CoC, obviously.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

they've already done that once before

How about some Delta Green then?

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I hope Gura isn't too beat up by Man Eater. It was a lot of fun despite the issues with game, she's definitely good at entertaining even when she's doing something she's not great at.

Half the fun of watching a steamer is often in seeing the process of them actually figure out the game over time, so I hope she takes that to heart.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I cannot get over how cute Ina's tiny waiting room squid icon is. It even has a halo!

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm a little afraid Calli won't be able to get used to this new normal for her and is going to get depressed from thinking her fortune and fame is undeserved. She seems legitimately wracked with guilt about it.

Imposter syndrome is a bitch.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Bloody Pom posted:

Meanwhile Gura just broke 400K. For comparison, Suisei only just hit 490K.

Apex predator indeed.

Sharks have to keep moving forward.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Watching streamers (virtual or otherwise) struggle with games and eventually overcome them is a huge part of the appeal for a lot of people. Gura seemed worried by that back during her first stream as well. Somebody needs to tell these girls it's okay to suck at games.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

That is a very powerful squirrel! How she doesn't have more subs I don't know.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

CJ posted:

Gura is hard carried by her design. She is a big meme but i think she's too shy/inexperienced to perform live on streams. Maybe she can upload some meme videos, or will improve once she gets more comfortable. Currently though i think the character could have been executed better by someone with Amelia's energy.

She needs to do a drinking collab stream with Calli and bust out some intoxicated singing.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

mightygerm posted:

Mori mentioned in her stream today how she was smiling so much lately that her face hurt. Also has some really interesting things planned like GMing a World of Darkness game.

Old WoD or New WoD?

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Despite already knowing Gura's singing was gonna be good, that blew all my expectations out of the water. Holy poo poo that girl can sing.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Can't be there for this ASMR stream, and it's unarchived, right? Anyone doing a recording?

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Somebody else put this better than I could but I don't remember who.

Before they debuted, a lot of fans subconsciously worried that Hololive EN would be a bunch of western weeb girls trying really hard to act and sound like anime girls and it would all be really cringey.

Instead we got a bunch of weeb girls just being themselves and it rules.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Lyer posted:

Ina just mentioned that next week is HoloEN's 6 month anniversary, crazy how time flies.

It really doesn't feel like it's been that long. Amazing how far they've developed in only half a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Grondoth posted:

One of the interesting things about the whole vtuber phenomenon, and something that I hope is a positive, is that it's exposing a lot of people to people they just otherwise wouldn't come in contact with. Not just cause of language and borders, but also because of the insular nature of anime nerds. I suppose I'm operating off of stereotypes that may be outdated, but I donno if everyone who hangs out in like, Marine's streams is the type of person who regularly just sort of hangs out with chatty women who speak at a million words a minute about everything.

I bring up Marine in particular cause I recently saw an animated clip of a story she told where she recalled going to a bookstore in another town and some dude pretended he knew her and tried to kidnap her. She delivered it with the same sort of cadence she delivered the story about when she was super pissed that her delivery guy wasn't bringing her food when he said he would so she watched anime while muttering to herself. Thing is, a lot of women have some sort of story like that, where they were harassed in public and it could've actually been really dangerous, and the first time you hear a friend of yours talk about some guy who followed her to her car and stood real close and watched her drive away like they're telling you about how the store was out of the chips they wanted loving changes your perception of things. Just like how the black guy you play D&D with in college mentions he got pulled over for no reason, it collapses walls and turns abstract ideas into concrete experiences. I think a lot of online anime nerds haven't had those types of conversations, so maybe people spending hours of their day listening to animes talk while playing videogames might hear something that makes them understand other people's lives.

Like, I wonder how many people in Ina's audience did a bit of a double take when her first instinct after being handed a drink was to check it, and Cali was like "yeah, that's a good idea, always check your drinks" and made sure to stress that it was an unopened can. "Did someone drug this drink they're giving me" might not be the first thought of some people, but holy poo poo is it the right first thought for a lone woman at a frat party.

It's 100% anecdotal, but I have seen some evidence of that out there in the wilds of the internet, in places where people discuss vtubers. I suspect you might be on to something.