Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

So who is ready to see McGregor knocked out by Pacquiao or Porier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If this is an exhibition match between Mac and Poirier will they be wearing bigger gloves or headgear or something?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Mr. Nice! posted:

So who is ready to see McGregor knocked out by Pacquiao?

I won't pay for it but I'll happily watch the highlight on youtube

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?

CommonShore posted:

If this is an exhibition match between Mac and Poirier will they be wearing bigger gloves or headgear or something?

Its just talk, their contracts don't allow it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

SA Forums Poster posted:

Its just talk, their contracts don't allow it.

Yeah they're just trying to spin up the hype machine.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mr. Nice! posted:

So who is ready to see McGregor knocked out by Pacquiao?

the mayweather-mcgregor fight was really funny so i'm amped

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

the mayweather-mcgregor fight was really funny so i'm amped

the aftermath was great. "He did better than anyone else" as if Maidana straight up doesn't exist.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Are McGregor stans going to bet on him again so I can make more free money off them?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Might copy and paste this into the new thread in a couple days but I was in the mood to write it now and get myself hype

UFC on ESPN whatever Holm vs Aldana

turning “vs. someone” into vs someone.

Hoo boy this is definitely a card that needs a breakdown post. It’s not too bad once you know who some of the people are. Is it a diamond in the rough? Probably not. But it’s not just rough.

Women’s Bantamweight: Holm vs Aldana
Everyone knows Holm – mostly aish aish, but occasionally :tviv:. Watching Holly Holm is like watching a Tyron Woodley fight – usually you’ll be disappointed but you tune in for the hopes of payoff. Now who the poo poo is Irene Aldana? Well Aldana is the Mexican boxer girl with a few submission skills who came over from Invicta. No, you’re thinking Alexa Grasso. Aldana is the other Mexican girl. She had a rough start to the UFC with a couple embarrassing losses, but she has turned it around, having won 5 of her last 6, and her only loss a split decision to the always-tough Raquel Pennington. In that time she also found her power again. Those of us who had seen her in Invicta knew she could crack, but she put previously undefeated Ketlen Vieria down clean in her last fight. Aldana fights in the tradition of Mexican boxers and she likes to come forward, and she’s not afraid to get hit. She could pull a good fight out of Holm, win or lose.

Heavyweight: Yorgan de Castro vs Carlos Felipe
Not as much to say here. De Castro is the fat guy who KOed Mark Hunt protégé Justin Tafa and then lost a lame split decision to Gr*g H*rdy because his foot hurt or something. He has big power and kickboxes well enough for a round. Carlos Felipe apparently lost to Sergei Spivak, but I don’t remember that.

Women’s Bantamweight: Germain de Randamie vs Julianna Pena
GDR is pretty fun to watch most of the time. She hits hard and is technically a former champ. She’s a classic dutch kickboxer, but she’s also a cop, so… Julianna Pena won TUF Rousey vs Tate then went on a 4 fight streak, but then she lost to Valentina by armbar in a bantamweight title eliminator and spent an enormous amount of time on the shelf due to a knee injury or some poo poo. She’s mostly a top-position GNP grappler. I don’t think her game is sophisticated enough to deal with GDR’s striking.

Middleweight: Dequan Townsend vs Dusko Todorovic
Townsend is a Light Heavyweight journeyman who dropped down to 85 after his unsuccessful ufc debut. He has only one win over a fighter I know in his whole career. He is 0-3 in the UFC and likely here because he was willing to go to fight island. Todorovic is an undefeated Serbian and a contender series product makinghis UFC debut. His wins are mostly stoppages, including a win over Kazuo Takahashi recorded as “Win – Pound – 1:41 – R1” at THE OUTSIDER 51. This is probably an alley-oop for Todorovic.

Prelims
Bantamweight: Kyler Phillips vs Cameron Else
Holy poo poo I hate the name “Kyler.” Kyler is a 1-0 UFC fighter who lost to Katona on TUF 27. Cameron is a brit on a 6-fight 6-stoppage streak making his UFC debut, and he has a 35 second d’arce over Paddy Pimblett. This looks like it has potential based on their records.

Welterweight: Carlos Condit vs Court McGee
:smith: gently caress. Condit is reduced to fighting Court loving McGee on the prelims of a TV card with a Holly Holm headliner. For those of you who don’t know, Condit is one of the most exciting fighters in UFC history and he used to just gently caress people up with flying spinning poo poo with blood everywhere. He’s a former interim champion too but lost his full title bids to GSP and Lawler in fights that he could have won. If any of this is news to you go watch some Condit fights. Now he’s on a 5-fight losing streak with 3 submission losses. Court McGee is like the platonic ideal of a forgettable journeyman. He won a season of TUF with Chuck vs Tito, and the only other remaining cast member from that one is Brad Tavares, another forgettable journeyman. Court is tough and he has a beard. He has pretty good cardio and fairly good technical fundamentals. He usually grinds his opponents down and finishes them brutally via split decision.

Condit could set a record for longest losing streak in UFC history. Don’t make me go confirm that.

Featherweight: Charles Jourdain vs Josh Culibao
Jourdain is the Canadian who had a really good split decision loss to Andre Fili. He also knocked out my man Doo Ho Choi :argh:. He’s mostly a grappler but he’s happy to brawl. Culibao is an Aussie who is coming off his first career loss, to Jalin Turner (who just choked out Brok Weaver like 2 weeks ago)

Middleweight: Jordan Williams vs Nassourdine Imavov
Nothing I like better than middleweights without Wikipedia pages. Let’s check Tapology. Williams – 9-3 American, contender series r1 TKO, and a couple of Bellator wins. Imavov – 8-2 Russian, UFC debut, looks well rounded.

Women’s Strawweight: :siren: Loma Lookboonmee vs Jinh Yu Frey
This has a chance to be a bad WMMA undercard fight. But this also has a chance to be loving hot fire. Loma is from Thailand and she has like 7000 actual Thai fights (as I assume all Thai people do) and she had a decent fight against Angela Hill. Jinh Yu Frey is the former Invicta atomweight champ. She’s coming off of a loss to the female Tim Elliot in her UFC debut. She uses a boxing-centric attack but she has shown some reasonably good grappling too, with the crazy gumbi-girl style.

Bantamweight: Casey Kenney vs Heili Alateng
Making me double check spellings today. Kenney is a judoka who choked out Louis Smolka in his last fight and also has a decision win over Ray Borg. His only UFC loss is to Dvalishvili so he might be actual good. Alatang is a 14-7 Chinese fighter who has gone 2-0 in the UFC with a win over Ryan Benoit. His record looks bad but if you cut off his early career he’s 10-1-1, and it looks like he used to fight a couple weight classes up.

Lightweight: Jessin Ayari vs Luigi Vendramini
Ayari is a Tunisian-German … grappler? Who is 1-2 in the UFC with his one win by split decision. He fought Darren Till at Welterweight though… Vendramini is a Brazillian who goes by “The Italian Stallion” :chloe: He made his debut against Elizeu Zaleski and got his face caved in brutally and now he’s at 155.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

wow Germaine 3rd bout on fight night card. What a fall from grace. Not that I don't think it's undeserved..

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

What's worse is that Condit isn't even headlining the prelims

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

CommonShore posted:

No, you’re thinking Alexa Grasso.

huh. you read this completely detached ex-fan like a book.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

JaySB posted:

What's worse is that Condit isn't even headlining the prelims

Why would he.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

Might copy and paste this into the new thread in a couple days but I was in the mood to write it now and get myself hype

I'll do that for you, dont worry.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also check out the new rules and feedback thread if you guys have thibgs to weigh in on. I think we (combat sports threads) are mostly decently ran if a bit small.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm going to start adding a prediction to each of my breakdown posts for comedy 6ers

Here's the one for this one. I want odds - my 6er vs your 1 day probe:

This one is a parlay. I predict that both Loma vs Jinh Yu Frey and Holm vs Aldana will be good fights with lots of action and/or finishes. If there's a dispute over whether they were "good fights" Mekchu has offered to be the arbiter.

Anyone want to take me up on this?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

CommonShore posted:

UFC on ESPN whatever Holm vs Aldana

god bless you but man this card might as well have been subtitled ESPN Broadcast Obligations, it looks loving dire. how is holly holm still headlining events?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

CommonShore posted:

I'm going to start adding a prediction to each of my breakdown posts for comedy 6ers

Here's the one for this one. I want odds - my 6er vs your 1 day probe:

This one is a parlay. I predict that both Loma vs Jinh Yu Frey and Holm vs Aldana will be good fights with lots of action and/or finishes. If there's a dispute over whether they were "good fights" Mekchu has offered to be the arbiter.

Anyone want to take me up on this?

Are "good fights" like 6/10 fights, so good for a Holly fight, or 8/10 fights, good for anyone?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BrotherJayne posted:

Are "good fights" like 6/10 fights, so good for a Holly fight, or 8/10 fights, good for anyone?

Good for anyone, or alternatively "Not the boring slog with nothing happening that people are predicting."

e. How is "I'm not angry that I wasted time watching that" as a criterion?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Foul Fowl posted:

god bless you but man this card might as well have been subtitled ESPN Broadcast Obligations, it looks loving dire. how is holly holm still headlining events?
Casual viewers hear the name and think "Oh, the one who beat Ronda Rousey?" and didn't see her half-dozen* snoozefests after that.

* The Cyborg fight was decent, and it was fun watching Nunes demolish her.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Her knockout of bethe is one of mmas all time feel good moments

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Esther Lin announced today shes leaving mmafighting as a photographer, as she hasnt shot a live event since March.

This sucks. Shes the absolute best.

mewse
May 2, 2006

TheTofuShop posted:

Esther Lin announced today shes leaving mmafighting as a photographer, as she hasnt shot a live event since March.

This sucks. Shes the absolute best.

That does suck, but good for her to recognize it's time to find something else. It sounds like her job during the pandemic has been to moderate youtube comments which is like, sheesh

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

CommonShore posted:

Good for anyone, or alternatively "Not the boring slog with nothing happening that people are predicting."

e. How is "I'm not angry that I wasted time watching that" as a criterion?

I'll take that bet!

poo poo, if both those fights rock it'll be worth a 6er

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I keep forgetting Volkanovski is champ. He's such a non entity even as he's a really good fighter.

I caught up on Petr Yan, who completely slipped under my radar right up until the Faber fight. Drop what you're doing and go watch Yan/Jin Soo Son. It's a loving dope fight.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/BloodyElbow/status/1311410523892846594

Oh Chris. Chris what is you doing.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It's not like he could put together enough wins to get a title shot anyway.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

It’d have to be a handicap match with him and Rockhold against Izzy to be interesting.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

izzy would hit him so hard he'd be pooping in a trash can for the rest of his life

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Joey McChrist posted:

izzy would hit him so hard he'd be pooping in a trash can for the rest of his life

Why a trash can?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

he already has a penchant for it https://www.mmamania.com/2015/4/10/8383123/ufc-video-chris-weidman-takes-dump-bedroom-trash-forgets-to-wipe-smears-rug-clean-up-mma

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Some Woodley beard vibes here.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BrotherJayne posted:

My definition is "did I say "OH poo poo" more than once to an exchange" and look away from my other monitor and pay attention.

Holm has never done that for me aside from the Correia and Rousey fights. So the bar isn't very high.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BrotherJayne posted:

I'll take that bet!

poo poo, if both those fights rock it'll be worth a 6er

OK you're now committed to this.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I used to be one of the biggest Weidman fans and this is just really sad to see lol

Your ship has sailed Chris, and it's alright to realize that

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Orange Carlisle posted:

I used to be one of the biggest Weidman fans and this is just really sad to see lol

Your ship has sailed Chris, and it's alright to realize that

i really think if he'd taken a decent break after the rockhold fight, and then taken a nice, easy tune up fight against Brad Tavares or something (i'm not looking up if that's a real fighter or someone i made up) he could have turned it around. Instead, he just kept going into really loving tough fights. I mean, it's kind of brave and also extremely loving stupid.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Romero changed him. As he tends to change people.

Edit: Can't wait to watch Romeros BKB debut in like a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Mekchu posted:

OK you're now committed to this.

Thanks boss!