Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Foul Fowl posted:

Poirier fights nothing like gaethje though, i think that’s a massive oversimplification

Look man I'm not trained in striking I just want to shoot the poo poo in a forum dedicated to concussed people to forget the hell scape outside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
I don’t recall specifics of max and Dustin but I clearly remember max just getting beaten up most of the fight. Dustin seemed a lot bigger and had a lot more behind his shots

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

nordichammer posted:

Look man I'm not trained in striking I just want to shoot the poo poo in a forum dedicated to concussed people to forget the hell scape outside

Fair enough, that’s why we’re all here

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Automator posted:

I don’t recall specifics of max and Dustin but I clearly remember max just getting beaten up most of the fight. Dustin seemed a lot bigger and had a lot more behind his shots

I think that was the key. There's a certain experience of being hit by someone with good power who is bigger than you where you just feel it through your body more, down into your bones, even on blocked shots. It wears you down more, or at least differently, than the same or similar power coming from someone your own size.

That fight really should be "weight classes matter.mkv" in the eternal phantom OP that doesn't exist. Both guys were fighting at an elite level, and landing cleanly, and that size difference made the fight for Poirier.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

CommonShore posted:

I think that was the key. There's a certain experience of being hit by someone with good power who is bigger than you where you just feel it through your body more, down into your bones, even on blocked shots. It wears you down more, or at least differently, than the same or similar power coming from someone your own size.

That fight really should be "weight classes matter.mkv" in the eternal phantom OP that doesn't exist. Both guys were fighting at an elite level, and landing cleanly, and that size difference made the fight for Poirier.

Thats exactly how I felt about the fight. I think max would certainly have a lot of success at 155 given the proper time to get up to that size, but at his current weight he was just bullied.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Ariel is reporting that UFC is looking Michael Chandler for Ferguson.

That would be... good

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

TheCool69 posted:

Ariel is reporting that UFC is looking Michael Chandler for Ferguson.

That would be... good

That's a trash fight compared to Poirier and one of the reasons they can consistently lowball fighters is that people are fine with lesser match-ups.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'd prefer Poirier/Fergusen as well but that's a pretty great matchup to introduce Chandler to the UFC

Obligatory "gently caress Dana White" for doing it at Poirier's expense, however

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

chaleski posted:

I'd prefer Poirier/Fergusen as well but that's a pretty great matchup to introduce Chandler to the UFC

Obligatory "gently caress Dana White" for doing it at Poirier's expense, however

You can't really believe the latter while also believing the former.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1306245795113570305

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I don't know chandler at all, what's his deal? Surely anyone but the ufc top 5 is getting mulched by Tony?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Southpaugh posted:

I don't know chandler at all, what's his deal? Surely anyone but the ufc top 5 is getting mulched by Tony?

Classic wrestleboxer style

Had a great fight with Eddie Alvarez on the same night as Hendo/Shogun 1. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HziG9DBfJf0)

Infamously got hit with a low calf kick vs Brent Primus, which deadened his leg. Then someone took his stool out from under him when he was trying to sit down.

I enjoy him and his fights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-LV7R6CTCU

LobsterMobster fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 16, 2020

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Southpaugh posted:

Close your eyes and think of a fighter. Whoever first comes to mind is good. Now remove every aspect of their style and personality that made you think of them or even remember who they are from day to day. You are now thinking of Michael Chandler. Bellator built an entire division around him in defiance of reason, their fans and God Herself

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Southpaugh posted:

Chandler has been in some amazing fights and he has produced some great KOs. He has wins over at least two former UFC champions in Alvarez and Bendo, but he's also not the champ right now having been KOed by a featherweight, and he also lost twice to Will Brooks, who the UFC poached and then he lost a whole bunch.

I think that he's on the short list for a "best all-time lightweight wrestleboxer" award but he might be past prime.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Dustin absolutely kicked Max’s rear end and Max even said so himself IIRC

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

leftist heap posted:

Dustin absolutely kicked Max’s rear end and Max even said so himself IIRC

It was a super interesting fight since you could see that, in a vacuum, they'd probablybe pretty closely matched, Max might have even had a small advantage, but Poirier had such a massive power advantage and sent Max flying every time he landed. Also, despite clearly being loving exhausted from about the third round onwards, Poirier was so well drilled that he was still shelling up and landing really good counters even as he was sucking air.

It was a cool as gently caress fight.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Southpaugh posted:

he's good but coming into the ufc like five years too late. the division is too loving nuts now. he'll probably have a bunch of good fights though.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Tezcatlipoca posted:

That's a trash fight compared to Poirier and one of the reasons they can consistently lowball fighters is that people are fine with lesser match-ups.

joke's on dana, i never pay for ufc.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Foul Fowl posted:

he's good but coming into the ufc like five years too late. the division is too loving nuts now. he'll probably have a bunch of good fights though.

sounds like a certain collegiate wrestling teammate of Chandler's

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/9/16/21440237/jan-blachowiczs-pre-fight-ritual-includes-touching-rope-from-hanged-man-he-found-in-forest

quote:

The UFC light heavyweight said he regularly returns to a forest in his hometown of Warsaw, Poland, to touch the rope used by a man he found who’d hanged himself. According to Blachowicz, the rope is a good luck charm that’s had “a 90 percent success rate since I started doing this.”

I'm sorry....what?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Jacare needs to go back to that gym in Ft Lauderdale and touch the elastic band Mike Perry accidentally hanged himself with

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Every time I fight I touch that body Logan Paul found in the woods, and now I win almost half the time

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

lmao USADA come on do your loving jobs and catch these cheats

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Great chandler posts fellas.

Lmao incredible.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Seriously.

Someone better slap the crack pipe out his mouth before he burns his lips

Poirier beat the brakes off Max

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

Size matters but I think it had minimal impact on that bout. Both guys are very close in size and had/have hard cuts to FW while not being big LW’s. Dustin already beat Max at FW and the simplest explanation is he is just a bit better than Max.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

wwwwhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

the gently caress.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This reminds me of that Key & Peele skit where the brazilian guy was so nuts it scared his opponent

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hmm.... Place of Power, gotta be.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Mekchu posted:

This reminds me of that Key & Peele skit where the brazilian guy was so nuts it scared his opponent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z-oJTZ1b5Q

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
I'd like Jared Cannonier to move back to LHW so that he can fight Jan.

Pre-fight, Cannonier molests his infinity gems, and Jan can tug on his mystical Polish suicide rope.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Speaking of MMA craziness and Cannonier, apparently his craziness goes way beyond his JO crystals and sets possibly a new record in the sport:

https://mobile.twitter.com/alexscaffidi_/status/1289566554338648065

:stare:

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/DamonMartin/status/1306439595714846728

i should maybe be excited for this to happen but eh. waiting until DC is gone and Jon Jones has "left" the division to return is some extreme cowardice and I hope I get to watch Dom Reyes thoroughly pound on him at some point in the future

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

chaleski posted:

Speaking of MMA craziness and Cannonier, apparently his craziness goes way beyond his JO crystals and sets possibly a new record in the sport:

https://mobile.twitter.com/alexscaffidi_/status/1289566554338648065

:stare:

The winning combination of Hotep and Q.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Troy Queef posted:

sounds like a certain collegiate wrestling teammate of Chandler's

I cannot imagine a point in askren’s career when gsp wouldn’t have given him ten times the rear end beating he gave fitch

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Phoneposting so Im not going to find a link but Karim Zidan has an article which documents MMA fighters and coaches who use their platforms for promoting conspiracy bullshit. Cannonier and Spike Carlyle (who is Anti Zionist but pro Israel :thunk:) we're standouts among standouts.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

Phoneposting so Im not going to find a link but Karim Zidan has an article which documents MMA fighters and coaches who use their platforms for promoting conspiracy bullshit. Cannonier and Spike Carlyle (who is Anti Zionist but pro Israel :thunk:) we're standouts among standouts.

Here's an article from 2 days ago which is the one I'm assuming you're talking about.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/9/15/21436458/comprehensive-list-mma-fighters-conspiracy-theories-qanon-covid-george-soros-politics

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yep. A familiar face will appear as you read

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

Yep. A familiar face will appear as you read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I miss when we were merely watching rapists, murderers and organized criminals give each other CTE to earn $10,000 and earn Dana White $3 million. Somehow that was a simpler, more pure time.

How much of this can be blamed solely on Joe Rogan's longtime involvement with the UFC?