Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Mekchu posted:

Thats nowhere close to a racist remark

To you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
https://twitter.com/ryanhall5050/status/1308127927163408384?s=20

whomst among us has not been misrepresented as pro-Hitler

that said if you listen to it you can get what he was trying to say, he just said it real dumb

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Like, I dunno, bear with me here, just spitballing...

...maybe when talking about people who should be allowed a chance at redemption, don't pick the one person the entire world can more or less agree is beyond redemption?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Some prime Diego Sanchez here.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

kimbo305 posted:

Read your user name as nordic channer.

I’ll give credit to Colby for actually being a gimmick if from here on out if he’s starts marking for AOC 2024, and no less. Until then, full time racist.

To be fair, there aren't any leftist MMA fighters out there.

In fact, I can't think of any leftist athletes in general. The only guy I can think of is that Wide Receiver on the Chargers and that's about it.

Rude_Dude
Jun 2, 2009

Forceholy posted:

In fact, I can't think of any leftist athletes in general. The only guy I can think of is that Wide Receiver on the Chargers and that's about it.

Kevin Lee spoke at Bernie rallies.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Forceholy posted:

In fact, I can't think of any leftist athletes in general.

Football and basketball players tend to be left leaning.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Forceholy posted:

Leslie Smith was fired from the UFC for trying to unionize the fighters, but they're definitely rare.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Izzy has been active at protests against police brutality.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Jeff Monson

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Who are the gamers

Stipe
Angie Hill
Megan Anderson
Mighty Mouse
Max Holloway

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

How quickly we forget Jon Fitch's skyrim twitter

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
DC doesn't game and his cringe selling of UFC 4 during an embedded episode proves it.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

henkman posted:

Jeff Monson

lil bit, yeah https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Jeff_Monson_Leg.jpg

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Forceholy posted:

DC doesn't game and his cringe selling of UFC 4 during an embedded episode proves it.

i don't know why you'd think that

https://twitter.com/dc_mma/status/648531259715551232?s=20

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

beep by grandpa posted:

Who are the gamers

Stipe
Angie Hill
Megan Anderson
Mighty Mouse
Max Holloway

I’ve never seen Izzy talk about gaming but he is most definitely a gamer.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ronda is or was a gamer. She used to mod a pokemon messageboard, after all.

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Forceholy posted:

This happened literally last month

https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/1298746117392396288

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
ryan hall had a heated gamer moment

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Forceholy posted:

the ufc in general operates on ice cold capitalist principles, literally destroying their workers' (sorry, independent contractors) bodies and brains for around 10% of the profit that the company generates. it's also an individual sport that requires a delusional level of self-belief to succeed so until someone very successful is willing to step away from a lot of money to organize i don't think it's gonna change.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

And look how that turned out

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Troy Queef posted:

The statement wasn't "leftist movements in sport are often successful in bringing change," it was "there are few, if any, leftist athletes"

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Foul Fowl posted:

the ufc in general operates on ice cold capitalist principles, literally destroying their workers' (sorry, independent contractors) bodies and brains for around 10% of the profit that the company generates. it's also an individual sport that requires a delusional level of self-belief to succeed so until someone very successful is willing to step away from a lot of money to organize i don't think it's gonna change.

Im always surprised at how little UFC pays out if only because they will want to portray the business as making a lot of money for the fighters to keep people involved in MMA. Seeing main card fighters tweet about how they have legitimately no money doesn’t exactly attract people to start MMA training.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Soothing Vapors posted:

https://twitter.com/ryanhall5050/status/1308127927163408384?s=20

whomst among us has not been misrepresented as pro-Hitler

that said if you listen to it you can get what he was trying to say, he just said it real dumb

Now the question is, will anyone listen to the whole podcast and transcribe it here so we can see if his position of "you have to hand it to sorry hitler" is dumb or not.

I am certainly not. I'm not interested in listening to a 4 HOUR LONG podcast about social media and debating with noted UFC nothingness "Ryan Hall" to see if his position on hitler being sorry for genocide is good or bad.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Troy Queef posted:

If you think being a leftist requires getting results then I don't think you get it.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
the american left is, broadly, much too cowardly to get any results

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Sorry I really didnt intend for that in what I was saying. I guess I should say I'm working on a mma project and am researching fighters and their lives and personalities and careers. Things like Colby going from a fighter with little to no attention to engaging in his maga schtick, be it a grift or legit and how it pays off or doesnt is interesting to me for these reasons.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

If you think being a leftist requires getting results then I don't think you get it.

Lol

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

piratepilates posted:

Now the question is, will anyone listen to the whole podcast and transcribe it here so we can see if his position of "you have to hand it to sorry hitler" is dumb or not.

I am certainly not. I'm not interested in listening to a 4 HOUR LONG podcast about social media and debating with noted UFC nothingness "Ryan Hall" to see if his position on hitler being sorry for genocide is good or bad.

Is Lex Fridman one of those podcasters who you can write off by name alone, like wherever Lowtax went to explain his side of the story?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

Is Lex Fridman one of those podcasters who you can write off by name alone, like wherever Lowtax went to explain his side of the story?

I've trained with him and he is a douche.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/MMAjunkie/status/1308156801037279235?s=20
the TUF 1 reunion years in the making, now with added weirdness because it's Diego Sanchez

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bonnar might be Diego's dad

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
wait what happened to totally legit human, josh fabia?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcJD6gffKSs&feature=youtu.be

Jack Slack with the goods, as ever

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Troy Queef posted:

https://twitter.com/MMAjunkie/status/1308156801037279235?s=20
the TUF 1 reunion years in the making, now with added weirdness because it's Diego Sanchez

What was Bonnar's BAC during that sighting?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

UFC 253 breakdown
Looking up fighters' tapology pages so you don't have to

For the Middleweight Championship
Israel Adesanya (c) vs Paulo Costa
A solid fight between a young champ and an undefeated contender. I feel as if this is something of a “new era” title fight as neither is an old/established commodity for the UFC. That’s refreshing, actually. That said, I’m not really sold on Costa or his wins, and I think that Adesanya is on a different level, and that the style matchup favours the champ.

For the vacant Light Heavyweight Championship
Dominick Reyes vs Jan Blachowicz
Reyes has looked solid lately, and had a good showing in his disputed title shot. Blachowicz has been getting some attention lately as being elite but I’m not sold on that. Sure, he put away Corey Anderson but so did OSP and Jimi Manuwa and Gian Villante. Other than that Blachowicz’s three fights have all been against fighters who moved up from middleweight, and he lost one of those by TKO, and took another to a split decision.

Kai Kara-France vs Brandon Royval
This is a strange matchup for the main card. Royval is 1-0 in the UFC with a submission win over Tim Elliot. Kai Kara-France is a kiwi striker with a 4-1 UFC record, who I find reasonably fun to watch. It’s not even that high profile of a fight at Flyweight, but it’s not a terrible matchup.

Ketlen Vieira vs Sijara Eubanks
Eubanks is in as a late replacement off of her dominant win over Julia Avila. Sarge is easy to mock because of her bad record, but I think that reflects her bad fight IQ. If she comes in with a gameplan of “get on top and use your loving awesome jits and punch hard” she might end up with a pretty brutal win here. Meanwhile Vieira is coming off of a KO loss to Irene Aldana, and most of her stoppages are by sub so that favours Eubanks. The x-factor is how inconsistent Eubanks is.

Hakeem Dawodu vs Zubaira Tukhugov
These guys both have names similar to fighters who fought in the last month. They aren’t those guys. Dawodu is a Canadian kickboxer on a 4-fight streak. Tukhugov is a Chechen sambo guy with a 3-1-1 UFC record. I see nothing worth mentioning on their records aside from Tukhugov was one of the guys suspended for the Khabib-Conor brawl.

Prelims
Brad Riddell vs Alex da Silva
I don’t know either of these guys. Riddell is a Aussie with two UFC decision wins over guys who I don’t know. Da Silva is a Brazilian with a 1-1 UFC record and whose 20-2 career record reads as if it were generated by a neural network programmed from Jungle Fight cards.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Riddell's a kiwi. He's a tough, experienced, march-forward kickboxer and his fight vs Mullarkey was a cracker.

Diego Sanchez vs Jake Matthews
Diego Sanchez is being cornered by Stefan Bonnar this time, so at least he has a coach who knows what fighting is. Jake “The Celtic Kid” Matthews is yet another Aussie with a mixed UFC record. Matthews should probably handle Sanchez, at least in the on-paper matchup of physicality, skill, and mileage, but who knows how Matthews will react to the sheer weirdness of being in the cage with Sanchez. The x factor is how drunk Bonnar is.

Shane Young vs Ludovit Klein
Young is yet another Kiwi, who lost to Volkanovski way back in 2017 (jesus Volk has been active). There’s nothing else noteworthy on his record. Ludovit Klein has an awesome name and is from Slovakia. He’s making his UFC debut with a 16-2 record with many fights in a promotion called OKTAGON. He seems to be a striker.

William Knight vs Aleksa Camur
Knight is an 8-1 contender series prospect making his big show debut, and all of his fights have ended in stoppage. Camur is a 6-0 contender series product who has a decision win over Justin Ledet. I don’t see anything interesting on their records, but Light Heavyweight prospects are always welcome.

Early Prelims
Jeff Hughes vs Juan Espino
Want some fatweights? We have fatweights. Hughes came in as a 10-1 contender series product and has now lost to Mo Greene, eye poked Todd Duffee, and then lost a decision to some dude. Juan Espino won TUF 28 and hasn’t fought since, though he completely stomped Mo Greene in the TUF tournament. This looks to me like a tune-up fight for Espino who is coming off of 22 months layoff.

Khadis Ibragimov vs Danilo Marques
Ibragimov is an M1 champ who is 0-3 in the UFC including a loss to Ed Herman in Moscow. Why is he still in the UFC? Danillo Marques is a Brazillian making his UFC debut with an unremarkable 9-2 record. :shrug: I GUESS. Light heavyweights, right? These guys don’t even look like prospects. I can’t even find anything like “both were late replacements.” What is this poo poo doing on my TV?

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 23, 2020

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Is this the first time there have been multiple title fights and the heavier guys were Earlier on the card?

I thought in general, the heaviest weight went last that night if there were multiple belts

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Normally yeah, but no Jones in a LHW title makes Izzy and Costa the bigger names to build a card around. Only other time I could see it happening now is a Khabib fight, but they wouldn’t need to stack that to get buys imo.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

SquirrelGrip posted:

Normally yeah, but no Jones in a LHW title makes Izzy and Costa the bigger names to build a card around. Only other time I could see it happening now is a Khabib fight, but they wouldn’t need to stack that to get buys imo.

Yeah that’s true but I feel like I remember “bigger” fights than the main being earlier due to the whole weight thing.

I personally always found it a little silly 🤷🏻‍♂️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

CommonShore posted:

UFC 253 breakdown
Looking up fighters' tapology pages so you don't have to

For the Middleweight Championship
Israel Adesanya (c) vs Paulo Costa
A solid fight between a young champ and an undefeated contender. I feel as if this is something of a “new era” title fight as neither is an old/established commodity for the UFC. That’s refreshing, actually. That said, I’m not really sold on Costa or his wins, and I think that Adesanya is on a different level, and that the style matchup favours the champ.

For the vacant Light Heavyweight Championship
Dominick Reyes vs Jan Blachowicz
Reyes has looked solid lately, and had a good showing in his disputed title shot. Blachowicz has been getting some attention lately as being elite but I’m not sold on that. Sure, he put away Corey Anderson but so did OSP and Jimi Manuwa and Gian Villante. Other than that Blachowicz’s three fights have all been against fighters who moved up from middleweight, and he lost one of those by TKO, and took another to a split decision.

Kai Kara-France vs Brandon Royval
This is a strange matchup for the main card. Royval is 1-0 in the UFC with a submission win over Tim Elliot. Kai Kara-France is a kiwi striker with a 4-1 UFC record, who I find reasonably fun to watch. It’s not even that high profile of a fight at Flyweight, but it’s not a terrible matchup.

Ketlen Vieira vs Sijara Eubanks
Eubanks is in as a late replacement off of her dominant win over Julia Avila. Sarge is easy to mock because of her bad record, but I think that reflects her bad fight IQ. If she comes in with a gameplan of “get on top and use your loving awesome jits and punch hard” she might end up with a pretty brutal win here. Meanwhile Vieira is coming off of a KO loss to Irene Aldana, and most of her stoppages are by sub so that favours Eubanks. The x-factor is how inconsistent Eubanks is.

Hakeem Dawodu vs Zubaira Tukhugov
These guys both have names similar to fighters who fought in the last month. They aren’t those guys. Dawodu is a Canadian kickboxer on a 4-fight streak. Tukhugov is a Chechen sambo guy with a 3-1-1 UFC record. I see nothing worth mentioning on their records aside from Tukhugov was one of the guys suspended for the Khabib-Conor brawl.

Prelims
Brad Riddell vs Alex da Silva
I don’t know either of these guys. Riddell is a Aussie with two UFC decision wins over guys who I don’t know. Da Silva is a Brazilian with a 1-1 UFC record and whose 20-2 career record reads as if it were generated by a neural network programmed from Jungle Fight cards.

Diego Sanchez vs Jake Matthews
Diego Sanchez is being cornered by Stefan Bonnar this time, so at least he has a coach who knows what fighting is. Jake “The Celtic Kid” Matthews is yet another Aussie with a mixed UFC record. Matthews should probably handle Sanchez, at least in the on-paper matchup of physicality, skill, and mileage, but who knows how Matthews will react to the sheer weirdness of being in the cage with Sanchez. The x factor is how drunk Bonnar is.

Shane Young vs Ludovit Klein
Young is yet another Kiwi, who lost to Volkanovski way back in 2017 (jesus Volk has been active). There’s nothing else noteworthy on his record. Ludovit Klein has an awesome name and is from Slovakia. He’s making his UFC debut with a 16-2 record with many fights in a promotion called OKTAGON. He seems to be a striker.

William Knight vs Aleksa Camur
Knight is an 8-1 contender series prospect making his big show debut, and all of his fights have ended in stoppage. Camur is a 6-0 contender series product who has a decision win over Justin Ledet. I don’t see anything interesting on their records, but Light Heavyweight prospects are always welcome.

Early Prelims
Jeff Hughes vs Juan Espino
Want some fatweights? We have fatweights. Hughes came in as a 10-1 contender series product and has now lost to Mo Greene, eye poked Todd Duffee, and then lost a decision to some dude. Juan Espino won TUF 28 and hasn’t fought since, though he completely stomped Mo Greene in the TUF tournament. This looks to me like a tune-up fight for Espino who is coming off of 22 months layoff.

Khadis Ibragimov vs Danilo Marques
Ibragimov is an M1 champ who is 0-3 in the UFC including a loss to Ed Herman in Moscow. Why is he still in the UFC? Danillo Marques is a Brazillian making his UFC debut with an unremarkable 9-2 record. :shrug: I GUESS. Light heavyweights, right? These guys don’t even look like prospects. I can’t even find anything like “both were late replacements.” What is this poo poo doing on my TV?

Breakdowns are great. TY.