Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Personally I always just scroll through the really bloated OP every month (this month's Seagal theme helped). I think the community here is just really small and most people who would be interested in posting about the UFC would already know who Dana White is and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That's very true, most people would. But there's an off chance that someone wouldn't. which makes it worth making the post

Also I'm incredibly drunk right now and would very much be willing to admit my take isn't the best one.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Memento posted:

once the shitheads stopped posting/were banned these threads got a lot better

I wrote the OPs for a couple of years, and there's a reason I stopped, that doesn't really apply anymore

I don't see how one is connected to the other. I also think folks like Keven, SkipMyPosts etc. were pretty entertaining and only occasionally got out of hand and even then it was pretty blatant they were just trying to get a rise out of overly serious people.

CommonShore posted:

Make the newbie info section like 3 paragraphs long and quote post it every time.

Though we did have a fight sports newbie question thread until recently. Maybe that can just be updated.

That was the plan and to front load it so its less likely to be skipped by a newbie.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Personally I always just scroll through the really bloated OP every month (this month's Seagal theme helped). I think the community here is just really small and most people who would be interested in posting about the UFC would already know who Dana White is and such.

It is small yeah. I just want to try and find ways to get more people posting/involved and not make this place seem like a place that's not interested in new people posting.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CommonShore posted:

Though we did have a fight sports newbie question thread until recently. Maybe that can just be updated.

I think it still works. Just doesn’t have much newbie traffic:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386280

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
https://twitter.com/TonyFergusonXT/status/1301692143010897920?s=19

I'm just in a constant phase of worrying about Tony

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.reddit.com/r/EASportsUF...tm_source=share

So after the review period of the game was done EA patched the game to insert ads in the middle of fights and gameplay.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
I think the last ufc game had averts but nothing like that giant black box blocking the screen, it would usually be on the octagon mat like how THE BOYS is there in the video too.

loving EA man

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/Phil_Sports/status/1302342473201713154

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Mekchu posted:

Keven, SkipMyPosts etc.

rip to both. keven was absolutely inscrutable and if he was not in character as a gimmick post, and that was a real man's character bleeding through his posts then that scares me. good poo poo.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Click here to chat about what's left of this card

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mekchu posted:

I don't see how one is connected to the other. I also think folks like Keven, SkipMyPosts etc. were pretty entertaining and only occasionally got out of hand and even then it was pretty blatant they were just trying to get a rise out of overly serious people.

That was the plan and to front load it so its less likely to be skipped by a newbie.

It is small yeah. I just want to try and find ways to get more people posting/involved and not make this place seem like a place that's not interested in new people posting.

Were you ok with those two posting the way they did? Or do you want to get new posters involved? Because you can't have both. Constantly white noise shitposting idiots are essentially the best way to make sure people who come into a community for the first time bounce straight back out.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Mekchu posted:

For next month anyone have ill feelings about adding a section of the OP thats more or less a "I'm new to MMA help me" section? As in who the movers and shakers are in the UFC are (eg who is Dana White) as well as where to get news and updates? I wanna make these threads as easy for a new person to check out and get involved with as possible.

the ops are long as gently caress, tbh. assumimg you can split it onto a few posts like "what is mma," "who are the champs," and "what the gently caress happened last month," it'd honestly probably flow better than the ops right now

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Memento posted:

Were you ok with those two posting the way they did? Or do you want to get new posters involved? Because you can't have both. Constantly white noise shitposting idiots are essentially the best way to make sure people who come into a community for the first time bounce straight back out.

I totally loved Keven's high-effort gimmicks but the low-effort shitposting by those guys and others drove me bonkers.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I would normally say it's a good idea, but I have to wonder who would be new at this point that doesn't just post. This site is small enough at this point that I think that anyone who wants to post about MMA knows whether they want to or not

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Memento posted:

I thought Keven was really funny, personally. He and dunc leaving was a huge blow to the mma threads here for me. I think the problem is less that the remaining posters are unwelcoming more than the website is just a relic with nobody left on it, with additional drama with the owner being a domestic abuser that nobody wants to support, that's supposedly selling it but hasn't. And say you do have a hypothetical new poster and they look at the thread and there's five new posts a day if that, and what's there is pretty dry. What is there to engage with that they can't find somewhere else? Who is coming to something awful to read a wall of text for card results they missed beyond the people that have been here forever, like you and me, who for whatever reason haven't left?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Memento posted:

Keven was quite genuinely funny. The others had good moments as well yeah.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I thought Keven was really funny, personally. He and dunc leaving was a huge blow to the mma threads here for me. I think the problem is less that the remaining posters are unwelcoming more than the website is just a relic with nobody left on it, with additional drama with the owner being a domestic abuser that nobody wants to support, that's supposedly selling it but hasn't. And say you do have a hypothetical new poster and they look at the thread and there's five new posts a day if that, and what's there is pretty dry. What is there to engage with that they can't find somewhere else? Who is coming to something awful to read a wall of text for card results they missed beyond the people that have been here forever, like you and me, who for whatever reason haven't left?

You're right. I'll look to trim up the OPs a bit since yeah they can be a bit lengthy/rambly.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 6, 2020

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I miss Kevan, honestly.

SkipMyPosts also wasn't that bad, once his gimmick was obvious.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Shite card.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Honestly, where would we go otherwise?

r/MMA? No thanks.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spb posted:

Shite card.

Yeah it was pretty rough. Considering next week's card is going to be equally bad its insane the UFC can't just like...you know...not throw a card on every weekend for a bit so good fights can happen.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mekchu posted:

Yeah it was pretty rough. Considering next week's card is going to be equally bad its insane the UFC can't just like...you know...not throw a card on every weekend for a bit so good fights can happen.

They have a card every weekend between now and December 12th, which gives them 40 cards this year. If they don't fit two more in, they miss out on significant bonuses from ESPN, hundreds of millions of dollars.

Dana would trot out his gardener vs his car detailer if he needs content. They're getting that money.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Memento posted:

I stopped reading these threads for a while after Keven and Dunc stopped posting

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

lol imagine thinking Keven was a bad poster

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

His gimmick was tiring after a while, and as with any gimmick poster, I think he had some weird strongly held opinions that were written off as jokes because he was a gimmick poster. He had a meltdown around the time of the Mighty Mouse Borg fight where he accused Mighty Mouse fans of being like Cyborg fans and I genuinely think he was being sincere, but people just kind of went "That's So Keven!"

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
To a newbie or outsider or casual reader who isn't in on the joke, gimmick posts just look like more shitposting. I guess SA doesn't have much new blood these days, but I'd bet there are long-time goons who are just checking out MMA for the first time.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I avoided these threads for years because the garbage posting was completely out of hand (it's the same reason I don't bother with the F1 thread when there's not a live race going on).

I don't think anyone wants this to be a strict, boring, serious-post zone - there are plenty of places on the Internet for that. But we've definitely had people who can't stop mashing the reply button despite having nothing interesting or funny to say, and I think the threads are worse off for it.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I'm cool with harmless shitposting in general but the outright personal attack posters that constantly ran people off were definitely a problem and I don't miss 'em

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I think the UFC threads, as they currently stand, would be open to hypothetical new posters and have informative OPs that could bring new posters up to speed. Im pretty sure I’m the only recent regular new poster to the MMA threads and I never felt like I was breaking into any clique or anything.

I’m not sure what else could be done for the OPs except to post the Wikipedia articles for the MMA rules and uh how Muai Thai, wrestling, bjj, and boxing work? There’s already a lot of useful info in the OPs.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I loved Dunc, Keven, Fatherdog et al, even if they were all weird assholes with personality disorders. It wasn't easy to post your way through all the injokes and not having a lot of the shorthand or background info about things could lead to things being slightly impenetrable. There always were posters who were happy to explain things though, shout out to commonshore and marching powder for being relatively normal.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

WhiteHowler posted:

I'd bet there are long-time goons who are just checking out MMA for the first time.

I fit this description. It was pretty easy to figure out what was going on. As long as the discussion was MMA-focused, I could google whatever I didn't know. When the topic is Steven Seagal or people who used to post here before I was paying attention, it makes a lot less sense to me.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
To be fair Steven Seagal doesn't make a whole lot of sense to anyone

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

WhiteHowler posted:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I avoided these threads for years because the garbage posting was completely out of hand (it's the same reason I don't bother with the F1 thread when there's not a live race going on).

The F1 thread between races is worse than ferrari during them, an absolute dumpster fire.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The F1 thread is like, frightening, I don't know how its allowed to exist

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Alaois posted:

The F1 thread is like, frightening, I don't know how its allowed to exist

there are many adjectives I'd use for it including, useless, inane, dumb as hell and full of idiots but frightening is certainly not one of them

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I mostly lurked in the mma threads here as some of the regular posters used to strongly disagree with most new posters/general thoughts, almost coming across as bullying. I never felt safe posting as I was always worried someone would jump down my throat or ridicule me for having an opinion that differs from theirs.
Even posting this, I’m half expecting someone to call me a snowflake, and to tell me to post somewhere else.

However it’s been leagues better the past ~2 years. Much more welcoming, and accepting.
There was a newbie that posted some general questions (late last year or something), and the amount of helpful responses they got here made me realize it’s changed for the better.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Dunc is the biggest loss for sure.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

TheReverend posted:

Dunc is the biggest loss for sure.

I think we can all agree on this.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bluedeanie posted:

I think we can all agree on this.

yep

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Kragger99 posted:

I mostly lurked in the mma threads here as some of the regular posters used to strongly disagree with most new posters/general thoughts, almost coming across as bullying. I never felt safe posting as I was always worried someone would jump down my throat or ridicule me for having an opinion that differs from theirs.
Even posting this, I’m half expecting someone to call me a snowflake, and to tell me to post somewhere else.

However it’s been leagues better the past ~2 years. Much more welcoming, and accepting.
There was a newbie that posted some general questions (late last year or something), and the amount of helpful responses they got here made me realize it’s changed for the better.

It really wasn’t that bad, you got made fun of for a bit but it was fine if you could take the L, only the mega weirds got run off permanently

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

dunc was such an exceptional gimmick poster that we're still coping with the years of bad gimmick posting that ensued as heartbroken fans tried to replace him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Who used to write the midcarders thread? That was an absolutely fantastic thread. I understand why it stopped. I remember the writer doing a big thing on Matt Wiman's long and quite interesting history in the UFC right before he got murked in 30 second by TJ Grant

Southpaugh posted:

I think Maias gonna get squashed tbh, but I'd still love to see him pull off some old man tricks (high level bjj) and win.
Wheres Fiziev, wanna see him again, the Diakese fight ruled.

Over the last couple of years, i'd found my interest in the UFC waning. I've worked out why: I hadn't picked someone who i'd decided would be champion one day and just stuck to that in the face of all contrary evidence. Fiziev will be champion. It is decided.

Also, Pereira is fun as gently caress. He's like if Yair Rodriguez had ever lifted a weight.