Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Wonderboys gonna fuckin crane kick edwards into space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Championship matches are tent pole events. It's not as straightforward when people come on at short notice. When fighters do late stage replacements, they generally know how the fights going to go.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Angies not gonna let her stay away from her like that in fairness.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I think Maias gonna get squashed tbh, but I'd still love to see him pull off some old man tricks (high level bjj) and win.
Wheres Fiziev, wanna see him again, the Diakese fight ruled.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Mekchu posted:

For next month anyone have ill feelings about adding a section of the OP thats more or less a "I'm new to MMA help me" section? As in who the movers and shakers are in the UFC are (eg who is Dana White) as well as where to get news and updates? I wanna make these threads as easy for a new person to check out and get involved with as possible.

Having read the feedback or whatever thread recently, I guess it would be better to have an every person's guide to MMA and so on in the thread title. Maybe a link to relevant YouTube for a history lesson, fighting in the age of loneliness springs to mind.

Ill be honest, I think the thread is more welcoming than it once was, can talk about this more in the other thread if you want but we've had a couple of new posters floating in this year and they mostly seem to be sticking around.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I loved Dunc, Keven, Fatherdog et al, even if they were all weird assholes with personality disorders. It wasn't easy to post your way through all the injokes and not having a lot of the shorthand or background info about things could lead to things being slightly impenetrable. There always were posters who were happy to explain things though, shout out to commonshore and marching powder for being relatively normal.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Mean Bean Machine posted:

i like this thread but its definitely #1 p4p in threads with the most derails about the mechanics of posting and other posters. i feel like we get people reminiscing about some guy who hasnt posted in 4 years or complaining about other posters every week

nope

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Thanks for the useless fatalism, very constructive.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Corn to the core.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Nicks still under contract right?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Hope Gerald derails the hype train. gently caress the UFC and their blatant marketeering.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I'd seen mckee at cage warriors once and he was lightweight champ? but like joining the ufc on short notice to be fed to an up and comer is some ugly poo poo.

Philips is very much a known quantity, like a much worse mark hunt. They absolutely count as randos to the ufc. I think a big marketing push will lead to some good fights but he's not likely to be champ if they throw him at the contenders like this. Big khabib being potentially something only khabib can do.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

We can only see and find out really, I'd really like to see him fight BB or Volkov or Blaydes before Stipe tbh. I think Blaydes is probably the next heavyweight champ tbh.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Goddamn it justin. Cejudo going is weird to me.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

:sickos:

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Eat This Glob posted:

someone should kneecap gaethje so the ufc can book tony v khabib again and we can find out what eldritch horrors will be unleashed

I want to see Gaethje and khabib destroy one another. One the other or both won't be the same after that

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Stephens time to change up his shtick and become a more well rounded fighter was a couple of years ago. As it is he's more disciplined than he used to be but he's still just lil heathen. Favourite thing he's ever done was get punched in the liver by aldo.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Disciplined gaethje did look a bit like poirier in the Tony fight though. That check left hook started to become painful to watch as Tony dove into it over and over again.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I don't know chandler at all, what's his deal? Surely anyone but the ufc top 5 is getting mulched by Tony?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Great chandler posts fellas.

Lmao incredible.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

He's definitely encouraged a lot of "out of the box" thinking. Also I think CTE may have a role to play.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

the yellow dart posted:

We've talked about this quite a bit in the grappling thread but its an extreme sport that attracts extreme people who tend to have extreme views. Monson is a great example of how his political/social views are extreme to the point where he vacillates between anarchism and supporting Vladimir Putin as if both are normal and good. The number of people I've done BJJ with who believe 9/11 is some combination of hoax or conspiracy is substantially higher than I ever imagined it could be.

I actually wouldn't be hugely surprised to see a leftist have positive things to say about putin. I can square why those two things can overlap anyway. Though the point about the general character of an MMA/BJJ gym membership is taken.

piratepilates posted:

lmao

At this point I'm not sure those conspiracies even count as unconventional, major cabinet members for (and including) the president of the united states openly believe and promote a lot of them. The secretary of housing and urban development for the past 4 years believes the egyptian pyramids are granaries. The head of the nypd union has a QAnon mug in his office in plain sight.

No they have become very mainstream over the last few years and Rogan has been platforming shitheels for years. Every guy I know under 50 knows who Rogan is and his penetration through the anglo sphere is truly international. Some of the shitheads he's had on, their bullshit sticks to people and hes entirely culpable in spreading these pernicious lies.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

JaySB posted:

I revert to my hot take where people just shouldn't take what comedians and celebrities take seriously.

That would be fine if people didn't turn the media they consume into a replacement for a personality.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

It's OK to hope against hope that Woodley would have smashed him. He was more than capable of it, but he's done. The guys got a 1000 yard ptsd stare going into the octagon. He needs to hang em up.

Woodley is one of those frustrating fighters who never really lived up to his potential, despite getting the belt. Glad Usman took it off him.

Covington needs to fight khamzat now.

Also I enjoy Kevin Holland but I feel like he needs to get his poo poo together or he's going to get smashed out of it.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I do genuinely believe that Dana approached a couple of fighters and asked if they'd be interested in being "the trump guy". And colby, a personality vacuum with nothing going for him, said sure. Dana and trump know each other, easy win for Dana to stroke his ego. So in that regard I firmly believe the whole thing to be a marketing exercise. So fake in that regard sure, but the material consequences of this are a fighter stumping for white nationalism.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

gently caress that fight was so bad. Rest of the card was great tho.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Costa gets countered into oblivion.

Could be r3 before that happens tho.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

The Automator posted:

PLATINUM MIKE PERRY

Came here to post this.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Welp, didn't want to see robbie die in there. Just bleed I guess.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

CommonShore posted:

Luque or Magny would be the best tests. Neither of those guys goes away easily.

It's gonna be a striker he can wrestle gently caress into oblivion.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

CommonShore posted:

To keep his momentum he needs to do more than wrestle someone to a decision.

We're still in the "HOUSTON ALEXANDER IS FOR REAL" stage of his career. For me the biggest question about him is how does he respond when his opponent doesn't easily go away. Consider that we've never seen anyone even hit him. Even someone like Bryan Barbarena would be good. Just give him someone notably tough. Once I've seen that I'll start looking at him as a contender.

Sorry when I say wrestlefuck into oblivion I mean pound his eyes out of his brain. Khabib-style. Question is if he sticks with welter or middle weight? I think middleweight is scarier right now?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Manny may actually knock him out so good.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Yeah last I'd heard of it that's basically what happened. Uhm, who knows what's the legal situation with the corsicans is however.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Can't believe people thought costa had a chance.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Nothing about costas previous performances said "Better kickboxer than Israel Adesanya" couple of tweets about femboys and he's got you all eating out of his hand.

Edit: He also lost the romero fight imo.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

gently caress masvidal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Romero changed him. As he tends to change people.

Edit: Can't wait to watch Romeros BKB debut in like a decade.