Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hello and welcome to the Fight Island monthly thread for the UFC. Sorry for the delayed thread I was feeling a bit under the weather suddenly. Anyway if you want to read the last month’s thread you can check it out here.

Things have..*cough* sorry, things have *cough cough* jeez I’m sorry I swear it’s not COVID...Anyway, I *coughcoughcoughcough*

**Mekchu passes out for a few moments, but suddenly he springs to his feet like a tiger ready to pounce**

Hello, it is I, Steven Seagal.

I’ve used astral projection to leave my body and send my spirit into this vessel. I am here to enlighten you both with regards to your martial arts prowess and to strengthen your spirit with the methods I, Steven Seagal, created during my time studying the art of Aikido.

Before we begin any journey, we must first learn of the journey’s of the past. As your spiritual leader, I will guide you on the right path meaning we must begin in the past.

August Recap

The month of the summer harvest began with a visit to the UFC APEX. This building is a beautiful and magnificent structure. When the UFC built it they called me to help lead a Tibetan prayer to bless the ground and keep the warriors safe while engaging in combat. Upon the buildings completion on July 31, 2020 Dana White, a close personal friend who hired me to help protect his children during middle school, invited me to officiate UFC Fight Night: Brunson vs Shahbazyan. The first of these great warriors to fight was Bobby Green and Lando Vanata, both great pupils of students who studied under me, excelled in putting together a great contest. Using my patented movements to deflect and defend oneself with minimal damage received over the course of their contest. Green won with a judge’s decision, but in my day when we fought in the street we would simply fight to the death. Next Vicente Luque used excellent knee strikes to dispose of Randy Brown. Luque has much promise and I am confident if he studies under me he will become a great fighter. In the co-main event Jennifer Maia took on and easily submitted, using my patented Aikido Arm Breaker technique, Joana Calderwood. I am proud of my student for doing so well to spread the message of my fighting style. In the main event, Derek Brunson used his excellent striking to put away Edmen Shahbazyan after crushing his spirit thanks to the breathing techniques I was able to help him with earlier in the night.

The next event the UFC held was a fight card that featured little pupils of mine and as such is not worth mentioning. UFC Fight Night: Lewis vs Oleinik had only two fights worth discussing at this time. First there was the fight between my nephew Christopher Weidman and Omari Akhmedov. As a Russian citizen I should have cheered for Omari, but my nephew and pupil from a very early age Chris was my true choice in that fight. Chris used the techniques I, his sifu, taught him over decades to win a clear decision and become a top challenger for the title. He once defeated the great Anderson Silva and I believe he can do so again. In the main event, my student from Houston, TX Derrick Lewis was able to defeat Aleksei Oleinik in the second round. Lewis used his striking to put away Oleinik who has spent his life studying an inefficient way of choking his opponents which he relied on only to fail in this fight.

Next we witnessed the most important event for the month, UFC 252: Miocic vs Cormier 3 which was personally my favorite card. First we witness a few rookies who used their low skillset in martial arts to fight one another. Merab Dvalishvili did the better job of using movement and manipulating his opponent, John Dodson, into bad positions. Next we saw a cheater in the form of Herbert Burns who missed weight get defeated by Daniel Pineda. When I was a part time professional fighter when I wasn’t doing operations for the US Navy Seals on loan from the CIA, I never missed weight. I believe that if Herbert Burns can come to my dojo and learn from me he will not have weight issues again. Then next we had a Heavyweight fight between teammates. I have always trained my pupils never to fight one another as that will lead to infighting and disharmony within the sacred realm of our dojo. Jairzinho Rozenstruik and Junio Dos Santos however did not care about the harmony of their gym and fought ruthlessly. Their foolishness led to dos Santos losing embarrassingly to a series of strikes that I would have easily countered using my hand placements and throat grabs, however they believe that is cheating in the UFC. In the co-main event another pupil of mine, Marlon Vera, came ahead victorious against a pretender of the holy art of Aikido Sean O’Malley. Vera used great distance control, a move I taught him in his training camp only once, and broke O’Malley’s nerve endings in his leg with a single strike. This led to Vera being able to finish the fight easily in only a few moments. In the main event my star pupil to date, Stipe Miocic, was able to defend his Heavyweight Championship in his first title defense since winning the title back. He won thanks to great controlling of the wrists that ultimately allowed him to defeat his attack while take no damage. It was a remarkable display and shows a great deal of the fundamentals of Aikido.

Unfortunately I was called away to a special operations mission that the US Secret Service required me for. I can only briefly explain the important fights that followed for the remainder of the month. First at UFC Fight Night: Edgar vs Munhoz former UFC Lightweight Champion Frankie Edgar defeated Bantamweight title challenger Pedro Munhoz in a split decision. I personally was unable to guide Edgar to this victory, but know that my meditation techniques taught to his coach who then passed them on to him is why he was able to come out as the victor.

Finally in the month UFC Fight Night: Rakic vs Smith was held. On the card we saw two women fight in a fight I did not expect. It was a great affair and one that is worth watching again and again. Alexa Grasso and Ji Yeon Kim fought to a decision. Grasso’s sifu was a former pupil of mine who helped instill the philosophies of fighting that I have developed over my time as a Sheriff in the American South West fighting drug dealers on the streets. Next we saw former UFC Welterweight Champion Robbie Lawler fall to the skilled practitioner of my Aikido methodology, Neil Magny. Magny’s great ability to control the distance, which is something I allowed him to learn from me during one of my retreats into the Colorado wilderness. He took a clear victory thanks to the judge’s also agreeing with my technique methodology. Finally Anthony Smith’s failure to effectively use write control and placement of strikes is why he fell to Aleksander Rakic in the main event. Rakic was too clean with his strikes and ability to negate Smith’s mediocre positional manipulation. Overall, Rakic has shown he is a potential fighter to keep my eye on to guide on his journey to a UFC championship.

UFC events in September

Because of the current situation in the world, many of the months fights aren’t formally finalized with the UFC. However thanks to my time as a student under HH Dalai Lama, I am prepared to predict the following fights will happen.

On September 5, we will see UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Sakai. Two of my students will be fighting on this card and are the only ones worth mentioning. In the main event Alistair Overeem will face his opponent Augusto Sakai in a Heavyweight contest of wills. Then in a Women's Bantamweight contest Sijara Eubanks will fight Karol Rosa. Truly a great night of fighting to showcase my fighting philosophies.

Then on September 12, there will be a lone fight on the whole night for UFC Fight Night: Santos vs Texeira as Thiago Santos will fight Glover Texeira in a contest at Light Heavyweight. My handlers at the NSA have told me that Roxanne Modafieri and several other fighters may also make an appearance.

On September 19, UFC Fight Night: Covington vs Woodley will also be a fight we will be treated to. Many of my pupils will be on the card but the main event is to feature Colby Covington and former UFC Welterweight Champion Tyron Woodley. Also expected on that night of martial arts is Donald Cerrone and Niko Price.

Finally on September 26 at a location classified, but I have been told where it is, the UFC will have UFC 253: Adesanya vs Costa. The main fight will feature a pupil of mine fighting. Israel Adesanya will defend his Middleweight Championship against Paulo Costa. Also on the card is another pupil of mine fighting for a Light Heavyweight Championship, as it was vacated by Jon Jones during the month at my advice. Fighting for the vacant championship is Dominick Reyes and Jan Blachowicz.

What To Enlighten Your Mind With

We have been watching old or random MMA events on the MMA Goons Discord and have floated the idea of watching some of the awful/silly 1960s martial arts movies they added to UFC Fight Pass (or potentially other stuff like Bloodsport, etc.). The link to join is here - https://discord.gg/SkR8ZeC

You can also watch an old event from the UFC Fight Pass library (or any non-Fight Pass library event) and do your own write up over in the Let's Watch: Random Old MMA Events! Thread - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3918401

My Current Champions

Men's Heavyweight Champion - Stipe Miocic(20-3)
Having worked his way up to the Heavyweight Championship, Stipe Miocic went on to be the winningest champion in the division amassing a startling title defense record of 3 title defenses. However Stipe’s legacy was stopped short after being knocked out by Light Heavyweight Champion Daniel Cormier (who went on to be a Champ-Champ) in the first round of their fight at UFC 226. Miocic disputed the loss, even though he was cleanly knocked out, and lobbied for a rematch. This took a full year to materialize and the whole time while Cormier was riding high as a defending champion in two divisions, Miocic stayed in Cleveland working his argument via Twitter. Eventually the rematch came to be thanks in part to Brock Lesnar using his appeal to the UFC to get a better paycheck off the WWE, making a DC/Lesnar fight disappear. Miocic was put in as a new opponent for Cormier for UFC 241 in 2019, a little over a year after their first meeting. This time however, Miocic went on to get revenge on Cormier and knocked him out following a setup via body punches earning his Heavyweight Title for the second time. Given the state of the UFC Heavyweight division, Miocic’s next opponent may be Daniel Cormier for a third time and a chance for DC to finally retire from MMA. Rumors are Stipe doesn't want to fight until COVID is taken care of as he's an active duty firefighter and Dana implied Stipe may be stripped due to inactivity. DC/Stipe 3 happened and while not entirely surprising in its results, several people felt it could have gone either way.

Men's Light Heavyweight Champion - Vacant
Daniel Cormier won the belt initially in May of 2015. After a series of defenses, Cormier lost the title in a rematch against Jon Jones, who himself was stripped afterwards due to testing positive for a PED. Jones eventually settled with USADA after a 15 month investigation. Cormier was reinstated as the champion, before himself being stripped due to being a dual-weight champion and competing more recently at Heavyweight. To determine the new champion, the UFC decided to pit Jon Jones against Alexander Gustafsson in a rematch of their barn burner from 2013. Jones subsequently was able to best Gustafsson and win via third round TKO victory, becoming Light Heavyweight Champion again. Jones recently defeated Thiago Santos but another legal issue has come up for the champion involving assault at a strip club in Albuquerque so maybe Jones will be stripped of the title...again. Jones will possibly face Reyes but some people think a rematch with Santos is warranted. In March, Jones got arrested for a DWI and improper use of a firearm (read: he was drunk driving and shooting his gun off) despite the quarantine situation in the US. As usual Jones got a slap on the wrist and then shortly after mocked former opponent Anthony Smith over Smith’s home being invaded by some random dude. Jones is still somehow beloved by some idiots. Jones is currently having Twitter slapfights/rants over the UFC not letting him go to HW and fight, while also donning the GI Joe uniform and taking his guns to protect businesses during the BLM protests/riots in ABQ. Jones decided to vacate his title during July in a bid to move up to Heavyweight, conveniently announced at the end of the DC/Stipe 3 fight. Having cleared out a division, Jones probably will earn an immediate title shot. The title is now to be fought for between Jan Blachowicz and Dominick Reyes.

Men’s Middleweight Champion - Israel Adesanya (19-0)
Israel Adesanya entered the UFC for his first bout on February 11, 2018. In less than a year (by 1 day) he was headlining a UFC PPV, thanks in part to the main event falling out, against Anderson Silva. To say he was a rising star is an understatement and fate seems to be willing to back him on that notion. Following Robert Whittaker getting another injury that put him on the shelf, Whittakers initial opponent Kelvin Gastelum was paired up with Adesanya to determine who would be the Interim Middleweight Champion while Whittaker recovers. At UFC 236 Adesanya was pushed to his limits by Gastelum, but the man known as “The Last Stylebender” showed that he wasn’t all hype and nearly finished Gastelum in the final moments of the fight, which certainly helped him clinch his Unanimous Decision victory and become the UFC Interim Middleweight Champion. His followup performance was that of near perfection as he faced reigning champion Robert Whittaker, who Adesanya KO’d with a solid counter hook in just two rounds. To follow that up, Adesanya wanted to face Paulo Costa but the latter was out with injury so Yoel Romero was sent in. The two more or less half fought for 5 rounds but saw Adesanya win the Unanimous Decision. Izzy/Costa seems like the most logical booking for the champ next.

Men's Welterweight Champion - Kamaru Usman (17-1)
Debuting in the UFC back in 2015, Usman took a slow and methodical approach towards working his way up the UFC’s Welterweight division en route to a title shot. Running through opponents Damian Maia and Raphael Dos Anjos most recently with dominant performances, Usman earned the opportunity to face Tyron Woodley in Woodley’s fifth title defense. Many presumed that Woodley’s size and power would be too much for The Nigerian Nightmare, but boy were those people wrong. Throughout the entire contest, Usman controlled Woodley easily on his way to a Unanimous Decision victory with Usman winning all five rounds on all three judges' scorecards. Woodley essentially never got any offense going throughout a 25 minute fight thanks to Usman’s style of smothering pressure. The next challenger for Usman was Colby Covington, who put up a challenge but ultimately was TKO’d in the 5th round of their fight. Usman was set to fight Gilbert Burns but Burns tested positive for COVID19 and instead Usman fought Jorge Masvidal who he beat soundly. A Burns fight is still expected to happen as his next bout.

Men's Lightweight Champion - Khabib Nurmagomedov (28-0)
Finally, it's Khabib Time. At the UFC 25th anniversary press conference, it was announced that Conor McGregor would be Nurmagomedov’s first opponent as champion. The bout went down at UFC 229 and, surprising some, Khabib dropped McGregor early in the fight but unsurprisingly relied on his wrestling to keep the Irishman down before submitting him with a crank. Post-fight however, chaos erupted as both teams got into various brawls. Khabib has said he would sit out his suspension, which he did until September before handily schooling Interim Champion Dustin Poirier. We really want Tony vs Khabib to actually happen this time as it’s scheduled to take place in April but because of Coronavirus Khabib is in lockdown in Russia. He will next face Justin Gaethje this month.

Men's Interim Lightweight Champion - Justin Gaethje (22-2)
Justin Gaethje came into the UFC off the winning streak he accumulated at WSOF. He put on a FOTY performance with Michael Johnson in his first fight and then would go on to become a household name thanks to his never boring fights. When he was paired up with Tony Ferguson to fight for the Interim Lightweight Championship we all knew there was a chance The Highlight would beat El Cucuy but we all hoped both guys would be better off regardless of the outcome. In just 7 fights with the UFC, Gaethje captured Championship Gold (yes its Interim but loving come on). He's won so many performance bonuses in just those 7 fights its insane. His wrestling is good, and his striking (when he is composed and patient) is hard to beat at the Lightweight Division. If Ferguson wasn't your pick to beat Khabib, Justin probably would be the next likely guy. He's likely to fight Khabib by the end of the year should things not blow up between now and then.

Men's Featherweight Champion - Alexander Volkanovski (22-1)
Quietly working his way up the ranks over the past year or so, Volkanovski finally assumed the throne of Featherweights in the UFC at the tail end of 2019. Besting Max Holloway in a 5 round banger by solid gameplanning and scouting of his opponent, Volkanovski was as humble in his victory as Holloway was in his defeat and promised to be a respectful champion. Alex and Holloway ran it back and Volkanovski came out ahead on the scorecards again despite having some trouble early on. Next up is anyone's guess but I think Volkanovski is gonna be a great champion. I don’t think it was personally.

Men’s Bantamweight Champion - Petr Yan (16-1)
A new addition to the UFC in mid-2018, Yan quickly made a name for himself with impressive finishes and victories over an ever growing number of ranked opponents. This all came to a climax for the Russian fighter when he faced off against former WEC Featherweight Champion Urijah Faber and won rather lopsidedly with a KO victory in the third round. Yan was then possibly the next to take on Henry Cejudo but Cejudo’s retirement thrust Yan into immediate discussions about who will get a shot at claiming the belt. Rather than face other ranked opponents like Aljamain Sterling, Yan was scheduled to fight against Jose Aldo for the vacant belt and took the fight towards the end of the scheduled time via TKO. A fight versus the aforementioned Sterling, given Sterling also won recently in declarative fashion, would be a good first test for the new champion.

Men's Flyweight Champion - Deiveson Figueiredo (19-1)
Joining the UFC with a 12-0 record, Deiveson would go on to make quick work of his early opponents before suffering a decision loss to Jussier Formiga. Bouncing back, Deiveson then went on to win two fights, one being a victory over former Flyweight title Challenger Tim Elliott. This earned the Brazilian a chance to fight for the vacant Flyweight Championship but missing weight by 2 ½ pounds meant that despite his eventual KO win over Joseph Benavidez, Figueiredo did not claim the title gold just yet. It would take another 5 months for Figueiredo to get a chance to fight for the gold in another fight with Joseph Benavidez, this time making the championship weight and winning again in clear fashion becoming the 3rd ever man to hold the Flyweight Championship.

Women's Featherweight Champion - Amanda Nunes(20-4)
Amanda Nunes claimed the Featherweight Championship with relative ease given the opponent she was facing was the long time problem known as Cristiane “Cyborg” Justino. After a quick KO in the first round we’re now left wondering “What is the Featherweight Division really for now that Cyborg is dethroned?” With Cyborg no longer in the UFC, and Nunes seemingly more interested in fighting at Bantamweight we’ll probably see the 145lbs division for women shut down. Just kidding the UFC put together a Featherweight bout for UFC 250 rather quickly so this division is somehow still alive. Nunes again dominated her opponent and we’re all left wondering “so really who is next for the GOAT?”

Women's Bantamweight Champion - Amanda Nunes (20-4)
Nunes headlined UFC 200 in July of 2016, putting a vicious beating on Miesha Tate and securing a rear-naked choke victory in a little over three minutes. She backed this up with a brutal 48-second TKO victory against former Women's Bantamweight Champion and WMMA pioneer Ronda Rousey in late December 2016. Nunes was slated to take on Valentina Shevchenko in a rematch of their March 2016 fight, with that match being moved to UFC 215 in September 2017. Nunes retained by a razor-thin split decision. Her next fight was against Raquel Pennington at UFC 224, which was held this month in Rio de Janeiro. Nunes spent four rounds mauling Pennington, then pounded out a clearly already finished Pennington in the fifth, to retain her Championship. Nunes then faced Cyborg for the UFC Women’s Featherweight Championship and much to the surprise of pretty much everyone, beat the long time feared Featherweight with relative ease. With her victory, Nunes became the first two division champion in Women’s UFC History as well as the first Champ-Champ in UFC Women’s History. Nunes next defeated Germaine de Randamie at Bantamweight and Felice Spencer and has basically cleared out two divisions at this point..

Women’s Flyweight Champion - Valentina Shevchenko(17-3)
The UFC’s Women’s Flyweight title was vacanted after Nicco Montaño failed to make it to the weigh-ins at UFC 228, citing a need to visit the hospital. This, in turn, left her bout with Valentina Shevchenko nullified. Having not fought in roughly 9 months, the UFC decided Montaño was no longer the champion of the division that they just made 10 months ago and instead opted to vacate the title. As a result of this, Shevchenko faced Former Strawweight Champion Joanna (Jędrzejczyk) at UFC 231 winning a clear decision victory. The next opponent for “Bullet” was Jessica Eye at UFC 238, who Shevchenko basically murdered and it was not a fun KO. Seriously, it was pretty heartbreaking if you have an ounce of sympathy in your body. Following this up, “Bullet” faced and avenged a loss to Liz Carmouche in a showdown in South America that nobody really remembers. Shevchenko then faced and defeated Katlyn Chookagian at UFC 247. Flyweight is a bit of a wasteland and thus a new challenger has yet to amerge, and an injury has put Shevchenko on the sidelines for the time being until one can step up and stake a claim.

Women's Strawweight Champion - Zhang Weili (21-1)
With the fall of Joanna Jędrzejczyk, Strawweight seemed to be lost with anyone who could serve as a dominant champion. Rose Namajunas had the best run with two bouts as a champion but fell to Jessica Andrade via a powerful slam. So understandably the idea Andrade is the new ruler of the division and would be for a while was held. However Andrade’s reign came rather abruptly short when she took on Zhang Weili in her first defense. The Chinese fighter has been on a tear since arriving in the UFC. Defeating the likes of Tecia Torres and Jessica Aguilar, the UFC promoted her to be the first challenger as they began their push further into China’s entertainment market. The gamble paid off as Zhang won in less than a minute. However, Zhang is not just a fluke fighter. She’s been undefeated in 20 fights in a row, with her lone loss being her professional debut back in 2013. Zhang then called out former champion Joanna, with the two facing off in an all out barn burner of a fight at UFC 248. Zhang was tested but persevered and ended up taking home the victory extending her win streak to 21. In happy news, Zhang got back home to China about 3 weeks after the event due to the coronavirus issues to be with her family.

Other Things to Ponder and Meditate On

In the ever crazy landscape that is MMA fight rosters, you can always head over to the B-League MMA: Grand Prixs and Untested Pee thread by CommonShore if your favorite fighter is unceremoniously fired via Twitter by Dana White.

Head over to the 2020 Best & Worst of MMA thread to post your memorable moments of 2020.

We have the Let's Watch: Random Old MMA Events! Thread thread which has been great to read about/relive events through other people’s eyes and worth getting in on yourself if you like writing.

Finally, shout out to DumbWhiteGuy for providing details for the MMA IRC channel.

irc.synirc.net #mma

Join your fellow MMA fans in discussing all things MMA in a place probably secure against nuclear armageddon - IRC has been around for so long I'm not convinced anything could kill it.

As previously mentioned there is also the MMA Goons Discord if you no longer use IRC because you are living in the 21st century - https://discord.gg/SkR8ZeC

As usual if there’s any mistakes please let me know and I’ll fix it as soon as I can.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

smertrioslol posted:

I mean it’s good, but it’s no Segal eating a carrot .

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

You guys think you're above the law. Well, you ain't above mine.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

evobatman posted:

So UFC 224 was this month?

When you are a reincarnated tulku like I, Steven Seagal, am time is not a thing we need to worry about.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Forceholy posted:

Isn't Segal in Russia on the lam for getting me too'd into oblivion?

Dunno about being in Russia atm, but he did get Me Too'd to nobody's surprise.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eat This Glob posted:

segal pooped his pants as a grown man and that's OK. it happens everyday all around the world. his baggy trousers allowed the turd to fall out onto the floor and everyone saw it and laughed at him

I'm too kind and too lazy to give you another Seagal themed probation.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For next month anyone have ill feelings about adding a section of the OP thats more or less a "I'm new to MMA help me" section? As in who the movers and shakers are in the UFC are (eg who is Dana White) as well as where to get news and updates? I wanna make these threads as easy for a new person to check out and get involved with as possible.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Memento posted:

once the shitheads stopped posting/were banned these threads got a lot better

I wrote the OPs for a couple of years, and there's a reason I stopped, that doesn't really apply anymore

I don't see how one is connected to the other. I also think folks like Keven, SkipMyPosts etc. were pretty entertaining and only occasionally got out of hand and even then it was pretty blatant they were just trying to get a rise out of overly serious people.

CommonShore posted:

Make the newbie info section like 3 paragraphs long and quote post it every time.

Though we did have a fight sports newbie question thread until recently. Maybe that can just be updated.

That was the plan and to front load it so its less likely to be skipped by a newbie.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Personally I always just scroll through the really bloated OP every month (this month's Seagal theme helped). I think the community here is just really small and most people who would be interested in posting about the UFC would already know who Dana White is and such.

It is small yeah. I just want to try and find ways to get more people posting/involved and not make this place seem like a place that's not interested in new people posting.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Memento posted:

Were you ok with those two posting the way they did? Or do you want to get new posters involved? Because you can't have both. Constantly white noise shitposting idiots are essentially the best way to make sure people who come into a community for the first time bounce straight back out.

Keven was quite genuinely funny. The others had good moments as well yeah.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I thought Keven was really funny, personally. He and dunc leaving was a huge blow to the mma threads here for me. I think the problem is less that the remaining posters are unwelcoming more than the website is just a relic with nobody left on it, with additional drama with the owner being a domestic abuser that nobody wants to support, that's supposedly selling it but hasn't. And say you do have a hypothetical new poster and they look at the thread and there's five new posts a day if that, and what's there is pretty dry. What is there to engage with that they can't find somewhere else? Who is coming to something awful to read a wall of text for card results they missed beyond the people that have been here forever, like you and me, who for whatever reason haven't left?

You're right. I'll look to trim up the OPs a bit since yeah they can be a bit lengthy/rambly.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 6, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spb posted:

Shite card.

Yeah it was pretty rough. Considering next week's card is going to be equally bad its insane the UFC can't just like...you know...not throw a card on every weekend for a bit so good fights can happen.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mean Bean Machine posted:

its definitely #1 p4p in threads with the most derails about the mechanics of posting and other posters.

This is a good critique and yeah I'm sorry for derailing about this non-MMA thing. I also don't like posting about posters as well.

Mean Bean Machine posted:

i feel like we get people reminiscing about some guy who hasnt posted in 4 years or complaining about other posters every week

I think that's due to the small size of the community of people who post in these threads, and I feel the former isn't as bad as the latter though.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SA Forums Poster posted:

These threads are dead. I read the UFC thread maybe once every two week?

There is no humor left. The inside jokes, the unintentionally funny (mobn), and the strong personalities debating here was interesting. Everything really great and really bad about this place was eliminated, so now we are left with just a plain, white bread, mediocre (milk toast) subforum. As far as I'm concerned the soul of this place is gone.

I've really lost interest in MMA as a whole too. Dana White being an outspoken Trump supporter. Events being held in countries with horrible human rights. Fighters getting Covid and it just delays their fight by a week or two.
I just watch the gifs of the results on reddit the day after events. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would disagree that they are dead but that's just my own view. I agree there's not as much humor to be found and that's one thing I want to try and help find a way to fix.

I do agree that MMA as a whole has taken a slide for me as well thanks to the reasons you mentioned. More so the latter bit for obvious reasons.

Southpaugh posted:

Thanks for the useless fatalism, very constructive.

Please don't do this. This is literally what I was saying that I want these threads not to be like.

Nierbo posted:

I'd give my thoughts on the long OPs but I got probed for a day last time I did. So I'll just say I love them and I read every single word!

I promise you I won't probe you for making any critiques

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

leftist heap posted:

i think mma is fun to watch now

I like the mma

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We will know we are in the twilight of GSPs career when he sports a big ole beard a la Kimbo Slice

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he needs to be in the next Captain America movie like that one time he was in a Captain America movie

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reem getting laid out by a third eyepoke is how that fight would play out.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

beep by grandpa posted:

I prob go mostly unnoticed as a somewhat new poster but I really like these threads and I always read the OPs when I’m on the train to & from philly. These threads are some of my fav cause everyone knows what a ridiculous & weird hobby it is to watch punch sports and I love that generally everyone is just trying to have fun or crack really dumb jokes (“float like a butterfly, drive into a tree”)

That said, these threads are basically unreadable and Facebook/reddit-tier bad whenever Conor and other big big superstar names fight (but mostly conor).

You've been posting here for years. I don't think you're new anymore. Welcome to the club, your membership pin is on the table next to the sacrificial bucket of Burger King & Corn Nuts.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nothing beats rules lawyer Rich Franklin's advice to just drop to one knee at the start of the fight.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There are 4 women' divisions in the UFC when, realistically, there's only enough good talent for 2 of them. They really should shut down Women's Featherweight and open an Atomeight (105lbs) division and poach the Invicta girls for it because that at least is a good division in Invicta.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

Ranked UFC female fighters who are at least good to watch, if not loving great, but who you may not have heard of:

Amanda Ribas (future champ imo)
Virna Jandiroba
Yan Xiaonan
Viviane Araujo
Cynthia Calvillo
Gillian Robertson
Irene Aldana
Ketlen Vieria
Macy Chiasson
Julia Avila

Every woman on this list is more fun from a spectator perspective than 3/4 of middleweight or heavier fighters in the UFC but none of them gets any promotional attention.

Looking at the rankings Chris Weidman went up in the middleweight rankings recently. gently caress lol.

I feel like you leaving out my girl Ji Yeon Kim warrants a probation here.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I mean, WEC got rid of everything over 170 for a reason.

I genuinely wish WEC was never shuttered based solely on their belt design.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Goodpart posted:

She's basically an Australian citizen given that she starched Nadia Kassem after the cheap shot during the glove touch.

The only pops louder that night were for the Riddell/Mularkey fight and the main event.

I need to watch that as thats not registered in my brain.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I found this post of hers about the fight tho

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Still chuckling about the "Ronda would beat Floyd in a boxing match" stuff.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lid posted:

Guys and gals did we know about this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss_Level

no but i think a movie night of that would be pretty great.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm sorry for importing politics into the thread but can we all just laugh at how dumb this would be?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-joe-rogan-experience-podcast-moderate-debates-b438422.html

quote:

President Donald Trump has voiced his support for stand up comic and self-proclaimed “psychedelic adventurer” Joe Rogan to host a presidential debate unlike any other in history.

The host of The Joe Rogan Experience, a popular podcast series, pitched the idea on a podcast hosted by retired UFC fighter Tim Kennedy.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

I'm selling Chael Sonnen's gloves from his Babalu fight to raise money for the American Red Cross. With what is going on in Oregon, I wanted to try and help.

If you are interested here is a link: http://ebay.us/RvgOWn?cmpnId=5338273189

I can't seem to open that link but legit may be interested. Someone was trying to sell some old Pride FC stuff and they nevere responded after a few PMs with them about it.

So I'm 100% down with this purchase and luckily despite being in Korea I use a reshipper who is based out of Oregon.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 15, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FishBowlRobot posted:

They both have tattoos I guess

There was a timenwhere angel wing tattoos were a sign of great MMA prowess in this decade.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/9/16/21440237/jan-blachowiczs-pre-fight-ritual-includes-touching-rope-from-hanged-man-he-found-in-forest

quote:

The UFC light heavyweight said he regularly returns to a forest in his hometown of Warsaw, Poland, to touch the rope used by a man he found who’d hanged himself. According to Blachowicz, the rope is a good luck charm that’s had “a 90 percent success rate since I started doing this.”

I'm sorry....what?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This reminds me of that Key & Peele skit where the brazilian guy was so nuts it scared his opponent

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

Phoneposting so Im not going to find a link but Karim Zidan has an article which documents MMA fighters and coaches who use their platforms for promoting conspiracy bullshit. Cannonier and Spike Carlyle (who is Anti Zionist but pro Israel :thunk:) we're standouts among standouts.

Here's an article from 2 days ago which is the one I'm assuming you're talking about.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/9/15/21436458/comprehensive-list-mma-fighters-conspiracy-theories-qanon-covid-george-soros-politics

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

Yep. A familiar face will appear as you read

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlindSite posted:

Chandler looks juicy as gently caress too.

I agree. He does have a dreamy look to him :swoon:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You really aren't the one who should be speaking on this.

That was a pretty innocuous remark.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:psyduck:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Nobody is watching him and nobody is paying to watch him lose though. He's not Chael Sonnen he's Jacob Volkmann.

People are watching though, just that it is the Mayweather deal where they pay tonwatch him get beaten up. Orncheer for him cuz they're also closeted racists/xenophobes.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anthony Joshua & Israel Adesanya played Truth or Dab on Hot Ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_R-a3jK2nQ

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 21, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, pretty stoked for that card.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This is a weird way to say you're racist. Especially dumb to say it's fake as if that excuses it.

Thats nowhere close to a racist remark by the OP and I'm gonna ask you not to hurl that sort of accusation around so liberally at other goons.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 22, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Forceholy posted:

Eh, many fighters lose their chin after facing extremely challenging hitters.

Look what happened to Condit and Lawler.

Shame about Reyes. He actually grew up in the same town I did. In the Embedded videos, him and his posse just bled High Desert hood rat energy.

Costa's KO loss didnt come from a shot on the chin. It was a glancing shot on his temple that started the final flurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kensei posted:

It seems to me that Izzy cuts like almost no weight, is that just me seeing him as scrawny or has anyone ever asked him about his weight cuts?

I wanna say he mentioned he doesnt really bulk up too much between fights in a JRE interview.