Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tkz wins by first round bus driver punch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If Leon Edwards wants people to remember him he should steal the nicknames of the fighters he beats and turn them into a monsterous portmanteau

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Make the newbie info section like 3 paragraphs long and quote post it every time.

Though we did have a fight sports newbie question thread until recently. Maybe that can just be updated.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Memento posted:

Were you ok with those two posting the way they did? Or do you want to get new posters involved? Because you can't have both. Constantly white noise shitposting idiots are essentially the best way to make sure people who come into a community for the first time bounce straight back out.

I totally loved Keven's high-effort gimmicks but the low-effort shitposting by those guys and others drove me bonkers.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I used to watch quite a bit of secondary UFC media (promo vids etc) but now I just watch the fights, twitter, and this thread.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I disagree with the "saturated" bit. There are fights. The fights are good. People will watch fights.

The problem is that the marketing is still stuck in 2006 where they could promote Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz and everything else would fall in to place. Augusto Sakai had more wins, main card appearances and finishes than gsp did before his first title shot, and that wasn't a problem then, but they still manage now to make people go "who?" because they never put the spotlight on new talent.

poo poo fighters from the TUF 1 era have better marketing now than contenders do now.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There are still things they can be doing to make sure that fighters get some visibility that they aren't doing. Eg if a fighter is on a 3-fight streak or a fight or two out of contendership make sure they're not buried on the prelims. Make sure your commentary teams are talking about what is happening in the fight instead of blathering about what you hoped would happen in the fight but which isn't. Spend more air time between fights going over fighters past accomplishments or recent interesting things in the sport instead of hyping eg some dumbass fight pass series. Stop geo locking tweets of highlights.

There's no reason that we can't have that kind of awareness again of fighters in the top 15 of every division even if we don't know the entire roster, but they're simply not doing basic marketing and promotion.

These little things would do so much and cost nothing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Foul Fowl posted:

i completely agree. it was a problem before but i think the guaranteed espn money has made the ufc even more complacent. they find a couple guys like o'malley that they think can become the next conor and ignore everyone else. occasionally you get someone like masvidal who breaks through.

that's not even mentioning how ridiculous the ufc rankings are. apparently the clowns they have in charge of them just sign off on whatever the ufc wants the rankings to be. which is why jeremy stephens, winner of 0 of his last 5 fights, is ranked above arnold allen, winner of 5 of his last 5 fights.

Yeah exactly. And a Stephens should only ever be on a main card as a punching bag for an Allen. Even better, put him on top of the prelims to drive interest.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Someone once posted that Joe Silva's trick was making matches that had no bad promotional outcome. Like, no matter who won it was good for the UFC. That may be what has been lost.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

sportsgenius86 posted:

Contender series loving owned tonight

I'm on the 4th fight now and yes this is true.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Get up abe abe get up abe stand up get up abe abe abe stand up abe

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Last Saturday was pretty much median.

The prelims on this week's card are low key fire.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I made the bold statement above that the prelims for the next fight night have potential so in the interest of helping our posting community I'm going to do a preview effortpost on the card to defend my statement and maybe generate some interest in watching, and more importantly, posting.

Main Card
Waterson vs Hill
This is something of a dud of a fight. The best case scenario is that Angie Overkill, who is on the top tier of coolest people in the UFC, gets a signature highlight win. Waterson is extremely overrated and is one of those fighters who gets way more promotional attention than she deserves because she's "marketable" in some vague way (see: horny fans).

Azaitar vs Worthy
Khama Worthy is a decent prospect at 2-0 in the UFC with a guillotine of Luis Pena. Azaitar is undefeated and 1-0 with a KO in the UFC. I had to look up their tapology pages, though I remembre Worthy's guillotine. This is a decent showcase of upcoming fighters but it probably shouldn't be comain.

Roxy vs KGB Lee
Roxy is a goon favourite and she tends to grind down and embarrass younger sexy prospects. She did it once to Lee already, in Invicta. Lee is another overrated "marketable" fighter who has been "the next hot prospect" for like 6 years now. I can see Roxy's name recognition (she's the most experienced female fighter in the world) and Lee's "marketability" making this a reasonable main event fight.

Herman vs Rodriguez
This is dumb. It should be a prelim. Herman is a journeyman also-ran middleweight who is now a light heavyweight. Rodriguez is a hot-and-cold 12-4 fighter. It has a good chance of producing a violent finish though.

Quarantillo vs Nelson
Another one that probably be a prelim. Quarantillo is the guy who beat Spike Carslyle (redheaded super athletic antisemite) a few cards back. He's fun fighter and one to watch, but his opponent Kyle Nelson is a Canadian regional fighter who got a short-notice nod to get beaten up by Diego Fierra and managed to get a KO in his 3rd UFC fight to stay alive.

Preliminary Card
Matt Schnell vs Tyson Nam
Schnell is a ~0.500 UFC flyweight who to Tim Eliot on TUF. Nam is a journeyman who has fought in lots of organizations. I don't know Schnell, but Nam is fun to watch. Both have finished lots of dudes and been finished lots of times.

Julia Avila vs Sijara Eubanks
"Sarge" Eubanks gets goon mocked a bit but she can and has won fights by KO. Avila has too, and she's 2-0 in the UFC. Avila could see herself in a #1 contender fight soon at least with a good performance, so this maybe could have made the case to replace Herman vs Rodriguez or Roxy vs KGB Lee on the main card. Burying fighters like Avilla is how we end up with comain events or contender fights where nobody knows either fighter.

:supaburn: Matt Frevola vs Roosevelt Roberts :supaburn: holy poo poo this is a good fight. Frevola has been in several crazy scraps that probably should have been fight of the night. He's tough and he has really cool slick boxing. Roosevelt Roberts is a superprospect from DWTNCS who has hit a few rough patches. This definitely should have been on the main card, probably replcaing Quarantillo vs Nelson.

:supaburn: Bobby Green vs Alan Patrick :supaburn: How is Green ever buried on a prelim? What the christ? He's basically fight-of-the-night in a bottle. Alan Patrick - a Brazillian MT fighter with a great record but low activity - is the exact person pull that out of him too.

Alexander Romanov vs Roque Martinez - Apparently the Tsar is alive again and making his UFC debut as a heavyweight against a fat dude who fought in RIZIN.

:supaburn: Frank Camacho vs Brok Weaver :supaburn: Camacho is a hard-headed brawler with big fists and Brok Weaver is a dog fighting son of a bitch but also with a hard head. This has a chance of being sad though because Camacho has taken some bad beats in his last few fights.

:supaburn: Bryan Barbarena :supaburn: vs Anthony Ivy - Barbarena is one of my favourite mid-tier fighters. He was in a fight of the year candidate vs Vincente Luque but then KOed by Randy Brown last time we saw him out. He has been in lots of good fights, but like Camacho he has been taking some beatings and may be at the end of his career, though most of his losses are against champion-tier fighters. No idea about Anthony Ivy

Mazo vs Kish - Mazo looks like a generic Eastern Euro decision fighter to me. She's 2-1 UFC and I don't remember the fights, though I do know her opponents. But don't miss this one, as Justine Kish is the very specific reason that pooping ur pants in an mma fight is now a TKO loss. :itwaspoo:

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 10, 2020

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

i agree with most of this. i sorta remember roque martinez on rizin, maybe?

also, frank camacho is out and has been replaced by the 9 foot tall 155er, jalin turner

kinda dangit. I think I remember Turner being fun to watch, and looking at this record he has never won by decision so this could be good, but my instinct after having seen Weaver is that this will end up being an outside striking decision for Turner with Weaver chasing him around throwing gassy haymakers.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think Bethe's legacy should be that she shows just how easy it can be for the UFC to promote a fighter if they have literally anything to work with and even try a little.

Bethe took boxercize level striking, a little victory dance, and a poorly defined "killing the 4 horsewomen" storyline built on a decision win over Jessamyn Duke and they spun that into 900,000 pay-per-view buys.

They can do this poo poo when they try!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ranked UFC female fighters who are at least good to watch, if not loving great, but who you may not have heard of:

Amanda Ribas (future champ imo)
Virna Jandiroba
Yan Xiaonan
Viviane Araujo
Cynthia Calvillo
Gillian Robertson
Irene Aldana
Ketlen Vieria
Macy Chiasson
Julia Avila

Every woman on this list is more fun from a spectator perspective than 3/4 of middleweight or heavier fighters in the UFC but none of them gets any promotional attention.

Looking at the rankings Chris Weidman went up in the middleweight rankings recently. gently caress lol.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kim's not ranked. I just skimmed down the top 15 for each.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nunes's long straight punches are just so aesthetically pleasing

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Counterpoint she got famous and immediately started saying poo poo like "you're not a real woman if you ever use lube"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Now the "I believe I can beat Cain" thing I actually don't laugh at because it was a statement about mindset and confidence and sport psychology.

What she was basically saying was "I believe I can beat literally anyone in the world. What am I doing in this sport if I believe otherwise?" She wasn't literally challenging Cain to a fight but instead outlining the attitude she takes into the training room and cage.

It's not really that crazy, but it did lead to her complete collapse when she did eventually lose. If you've ever heard her talk about her judo days too it's the same thing - she's undefeated except for the times the opponent cheated or the ref didn't like her or a stray banana peel that nobody else saw made her slip and miss her uchimata.

Now the Holm thing wasn't even do much as Holm figuring her out but a really obvious rock-paper-scissors style matchup. I had called Holm as being the one to beat Rousey before Holm even got to the UFC, and the fact that Holm first had a razor thin decision over Pennington made it more surprising to many because Pennington's brawling/trading style is actually a worse matchup for Holm. But like who better to beat a glass cannon all offense fighter like Rousey than a defensive counter boxer with 12-round cardio and several high kick KOs?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Trillhouse posted:

The Irishman, who is no stranger to controversy, has been based on the French island over recent weeks to prepare for a 110mile voyage to raise awareness for water safety. He had been due to set off today with Princess Charlene of Monaco, but has been forced to withdraw.

Awareness for water safety? Wtf? He out there making videos about the importance of wearing a life jacket and not drinking and boating?

He has been tweeting about water safety a lot

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Even though the Herman fight was an error, if your opponent can take a breather and then come back 7 minutes later to submit you maybe you didn't really have him out of the fight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:shrug:

e. I don't feel strongly enough to argue

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

disclaimer: I'm falling asleep at the keyboard

I guess just to flesh out the statement above I'm thinking in comparison to Cerrone-Masvidal, where Cerrone got saved by the bell and then just murdered immediately after the break. Suppose it's different with body shots.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Throwing out a hot take and then saying you don't care enough to actually discuss it is some great posting

I'll explain where I'm coming from but I'm not in the mood for a fight right now and if people disagree with me I'm fine with that. I'm just trying to stay awake long enough to take some stuff out of the oven. It's entirely possible that I'll feel differently about it in the morning.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

Cerrone got knocked out, was slapped awake, given 60 seconds to recover, and then was knocked out again, 1 minute into round 2. He wasn't given a full 5 minute recovery period to shake out the cobwebs

Yeah that's true.

Ok here's my modified take then - Ed Herman showed that he was pretty tough to get back into that fight after taking those nasty liver shots, rest or no.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Poirier should legitimately go to Bellator and get paid big money for beating up Bendo

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tony v Bobby Green. Give them both some more time to rest.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

smertrioslol posted:

I don’t think this goes well for Green. Maybe too soon?

I think that Green is at a point in his career where regardless of the rankings he deserves a shot at a top guy. Conversely Tony may be slowing down and he's definitely aging, so he probably needs a matching that can show whether he's still elite without the risk of having him completely brutalized again by an elite fighter. If he gets beaten senseless by Poirier we don't learn how much he has faded. A matchup with Green would give us a lot of info about both fighters.

Plus it would be a good fight.

Dariush and Charles Oliviera would also be good candidates for similar reasons.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lazy breakdown for this weekend's card Fight Night Woodley vs Covington

Main Card
Colby Covington vs Tyron Woodley - holy poo poo gross. This fight needs to happen, I suppose that it needs to be a main event given that it's a former champ vs a former interim champ but augh dangit. The story of Covington being a fascist idiot vs Woodley being an outspoken black man is ok I guess, because the best case scenario sees Covington getting his head caved in by a vintage Woodley performance, but know what I'd rather see than that? Covington getting injured in training and never fighting again and being left out to dry through a medical bankruptcy at the hands of the unjust system that he so aggressively supports. The sad reality is that Woodley is probably shot and we're going to watch Colby hug and pitterpat jab for 5 rounds and declare fight of the year. gently caress Colby Covington. Like, I mean, as the goon saying goes gently caress Tyron Woodley, but especially gently caress Colby Covington.

:frogsiren: Donald Cerrone vs Niko Pryce - Now we're talking. These are two pure action fighters and Nico is known for weird finishes. Cerrone is probably shot given his ridiculous fight mileage on his body, and Price is not a small welterweight, so Pryce probably takes this.

Khamzat Chimaev vs Gerald Meerschaert - Chimaev has two UFC wins and has absorbed zero strikes. He's the hyperbolic super prospect but keep in mind that his opponents have a combined UFC record of 1-3 going into their fights with Chimaev, so maybe Meerschart is the one to pump the breaks on Khamzat. Meerschart is a good fighter, too. While he is never going to be a title contender his losses are all to high quality fighters, some of whom have main evented or challenged for titles. On top of that Chimaev already has his next fight booked against Demian Maia, so he better be ready for a real fight or else Meerschart may be playing him out of the building :sax:

Johnny Walker vs Ryan Spann - Johnny Walker was another prospect with a lot of hype, but now he's on a two-fight skid. He's fun and likeable and puts violences at people. Ryan Spann is a contender series prospect and LFA alum who is on a pretty good run right now. The bad news for Spann is that his last performance was a split decision over Sam Alvey. This matchup should tell us a few interesting things - was Johnny Walker's spectacular initial run an overachievement? Or was Spann's last performance an underachievement?

Mackenzie Dern vs Randa Markos - Lots of hype trains on this card :toot: Dern is a world-champion BJJ crossover :cake: who has given us some esoteric submission finishes. Markos is the ultimate 115 journeywoman who I met irl once whose career goes back to some long-shot upset wins on the original strawweight TUF. The story here is that Markos has never won nor lost consecutive fights in the UFC, and she's coming off of a loss. She back to back lost to Cortney Casey and beat Carla Esparza :psyduck: This fight honestly could be really boring but it also might have something cool happen.

:frogsiren: Kevin Holland vs Darren Stewart - Kevin Holland is a pretty good prospect, coming from DWTNCS season one. He's coming off of a really awesome KO win just 5 weeks ago. He seems like a cool dude and is fun to watch. Darren Stewart is a classic british kickboxer build. He's not a top-tier fighter but he comes to fight. This will likely be worth watching.

Prelims
Mirsad Bektic vs Luiz Garagorri - Dunno who Garagorri is but Bektic is good and usually fun to watch. He has done a good job of violencing the poo poo out of some dudes more than a few times. Tapology tells me that Garagorri is from Uruguay and 1-1 in the UFC, 13-1 overall. I vaguely remember him. This fight has potential.

Mayra Bueno Silva vs Mara Romero Borella - No idea. Borella has a wikipedia page and was armbarred by Cortney Casey back in May, which I remember. Casey hosed her up pretty good. Silva has a loss to Maryna Moroz and a win over Gillian Robertson. I don't have high hopes for this fight. The loser of this match probably won't get another UFC fight.

Jordan Esinosa vs David Dvorak - No idea. I saw Espinosa's fight against Mark De La Rosa but I don't remember too much about it beyond it being a pretty sure decision. Dvorak has a UFC decision win over someone I don't know either.

Jessica-Rose Clark vs Sarah Alpar - Aussie with face tattoos fights someone I've never heard of. I see that Alpar is a contender series winner. Jessie-Jess is on a skid and may be on her way out. This looks to me like it's a set up for Alpar to get a win and some momentum.

Journey Newson vs Randy Costa - I remember Newson's name but no idea otherwise. Newson won by a KO on the Jones-Reyes card but then failed a drug test so there's that. Costa beat Boston Salmon.

Andre Ewell vs Irwin Rivera - I remember Ewell's name but he looks to me to be an underwhelming also-ran Bantamweight. Irwin Rivera is the guy who lost to Giga as a super late replacement but seemed game in the process. Could be good I guess.

:frogsiren: Darrick Minner vs TJ Laramie - The curtain jerker has some value. TJ Laramie is a DWTNCS young prospect who I'll describe as the Canadian John Lineker and who in my mind looks more like a future champion (relative to his career phase) than Chimaev does. Darrick Minner is a journeyman whose best win is over Clay Collard. :black101:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

Which fighters have you most enjoyed watching "put it all together"

As a WEC/Fightville fan, Poirier going from being a roughneck brawler with an ok sub game to a guy with good boxing (including defensively) has been rad.

Same with seeing Gaethje in WSoF barreling out with 1000% pressure behind haymakers and lowkicks, to now a guy that has the patience to pick his shots.

Nunes probably had most of her skills, but again, patience plus developing her cardio is probably the biggest thing she's improved, but it's been fun to watch. Though she still really only finishes people super early in fights. Still, p rad to see the development!

TKZ has had a great developmental arc and it's a great time to watch all of his fights from his WEC debut in sequence. After his loss to George Roop he learned the value of striking defense, and some time between his two Leonard Garcia fights he learned how to vary his offense and he seems to have developed some serious striking accuracy just in time to KO a former title challenger in 7 seconds.

Now? Well now he is our god.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

I want him to punch Ortega's face bloody, and then tap him with another fake Eddie Bravo move because gently caress the Gracies and their whole crew

I've always hated Ortega but now I have a reason beyond his failed drug tests and his face and his association with the Gracies. This is going to be a hardcore partisan fight for me. I can't remember the last time I liked one fighter so much and hated the other fighter so much.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

chaleski posted:

I rarely wish real ill will towards fighters but I hope Zombie beats up Ortega worse than Max did, and I hope Colby gets wrecked so hard he leaves the sport forever

Yeah I hate Colby more than I hate Ortega, but TKZ Brave Corea Hero #1 is the best of all fighters. When Colby was fighting Robbie that's probably the nearest to this gap I've had lately, but I didn't really feel as if Colby were likely to get some kind of explosive, sudden victory in that one. Any loss for Robbie was destined to be a sluggish demoralizing affair.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Memento posted:

incredibly :same:

Last night I was talking to a buddy and I was like "other buddy is going to be back soon" and he was like "no he's supposed to be gone for six moooooooooohhhhshit he's going to be back soon."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What's funny is Jeremy Stephens isn't even old by fighter standards. He has just been in the UFC since he was 12 or something

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just realized that the top 5 of 155 is basically an MMA math pentagram

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Automator posted:

I don’t recall specifics of max and Dustin but I clearly remember max just getting beaten up most of the fight. Dustin seemed a lot bigger and had a lot more behind his shots

I think that was the key. There's a certain experience of being hit by someone with good power who is bigger than you where you just feel it through your body more, down into your bones, even on blocked shots. It wears you down more, or at least differently, than the same or similar power coming from someone your own size.

That fight really should be "weight classes matter.mkv" in the eternal phantom OP that doesn't exist. Both guys were fighting at an elite level, and landing cleanly, and that size difference made the fight for Poirier.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Southpaugh posted:

I don't know chandler at all, what's his deal? Surely anyone but the ufc top 5 is getting mulched by Tony?

Chandler has been in some amazing fights and he has produced some great KOs. He has wins over at least two former UFC champions in Alvarez and Bendo, but he's also not the champ right now having been KOed by a featherweight, and he also lost twice to Will Brooks, who the UFC poached and then he lost a whole bunch.

I think that he's on the short list for a "best all-time lightweight wrestleboxer" award but he might be past prime.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Phoneposting so Im not going to find a link but Karim Zidan has an article which documents MMA fighters and coaches who use their platforms for promoting conspiracy bullshit. Cannonier and Spike Carlyle (who is Anti Zionist but pro Israel :thunk:) we're standouts among standouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yep. A familiar face will appear as you read