Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

JaySB posted:

I love how obvious the body/stunt double is on the zoomed out shots, like Seagal can't even be bothered to do realistic looking action scenes anymore.

I believe the twist of that movie is that Steven Seagal and the (thinner) FBI agent chasing him are actually the same person, in a Tyler Durden-esque twist where the FBI agent has been committing the action scenes in the alter persona of Seagal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I got some actual MMA news, to distract from the state of these awful forums for a second:

GSP has hair

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Come to think of it, it was exactly the Reebok deal and lead up to getting sold that was when UFC started feeling worse. As was said, the fighters get less money, the sport is less attractive to get in to, Reebok is baffingly incompetent at marketing and promotion, the remaining fighters have less leverage against the company because of decrease in sponsorship money.

2014 was the year TRT was banned, the Reebok partnership was announced, and 2 years later in 2016 the company was sold to WME. Diaz v McGregor 2 was in 2016. I would have to say 2016 was when the UFC peaked.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

FishBowlRobot posted:

Was that a thing? I thought it was that she would beat him in a fight, not boxing.

quote:

“You take a street fight, Ronda wins that fight and hurts him badly,” White said. “You do an MMA fight, same result. Boxing match, Floyd Mayweather chews her up.”

from https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2014/05/dana-white-ronda-rousey-would-hurt-floyd-mayweather-badly

It's also very hard to find a good source for this one, but she (or Rogan) supposedly said she could beat Cain Velasquez:

quote:

Ronda Rousey thinks she can beat UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez.

Not in a race.

Not at a surfing contest.

Not in a who-can-hit-the-most-armbars-in-one-minute competition.

Rousey thinks she can beat Velasquez — the baddest man on the planet — in a fight. At MMA.

"In any given moment, under the right circumstance, I think it is possible," Rousey told the Spanish-language newspaper Hoy (translated by Yahoo). "You cannot tell me that it is physically impossible. It is possible that in any given moment that I could beat him. I simply believe in my possibilities."

from https://web.archive.org/web/20150323140657/http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/rousey-i-can-beat-up-cain-velasquez-110613

supposedly rogan says it in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBn6CfyCyKI

but it's now private, so what can I do :shrug:

Ronda-mania was one hell of a time, people thought she could do anything and was the best fighter in the world. It turns out she was very very good at judo and was fighting really lovely competition, then Nunes came along and showed the world what the real best fighter in the world, capable of beating Cain Velasquez looks like :smug:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Holly Holm sucks. She figured out Ronda, and that was the absolute peak of her career. I have got no love for the Preacher's Daughter

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

:lol: I've never heard her corner's audio for that right, that is exquisite, thank you so much!

head mooment

I love rewatching that fight. Just a solid minute of someone being completely outclassed. Rousey has absolutely no idea how to handle Nunes. I don't think I've seem someone be dominated so thoroughly before.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

FishBowlRobot posted:

Well just wait until she gets her 10th title shot in 2022, bub

(I also do not wish to watch another Holly Holm fight or interview ever)

I think it's a pretty interesting sign that she beat the "best women's mma fighter of all time", achieving this david vs goliath moment, launching her names in to the history books of mma

and then immediately after loses the next 3 fights. she's only won 3 out of 8 post-rousey fights (granted two of those losses are against nunes and cyborg).

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

wwwwhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

the gently caress.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

*googles for ashkenazi jews*
*gets relevant wikipedia article*

lmao

Southpaugh posted:

He's definitely encouraged a lot of "out of the box" thinking. Also I think CTE may have a role to play.

At this point I'm not sure those conspiracies even count as unconventional, major cabinet members for (and including) the president of the united states openly believe and promote a lot of them. The secretary of housing and urban development for the past 4 years believes the egyptian pyramids are granaries. The head of the nypd union has a QAnon mug in his office in plain sight.

Also Michael Chandler sucks and he's going to get his rear end KICKED. I don't know if this is true but I'm going for it.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I should have turned it off after the first round like I said I would

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Freudian slippers posted:

That was a dumb kick, but diving head first into Dern's guard was orders of magnitude dumber. Sure, you and your purple belt will do great against the former #1 IBJJF competitor and ADCC champion. What could possibly go wrong?

you are starting to see why that person has a 10-10 record.

and also how suspicious it was that mackenzie dern is getting someone with a 10-9 record to fight against :thunk:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

https://twitter.com/ryanhall5050/status/1308127927163408384?s=20

whomst among us has not been misrepresented as pro-Hitler

that said if you listen to it you can get what he was trying to say, he just said it real dumb

Now the question is, will anyone listen to the whole podcast and transcribe it here so we can see if his position of "you have to hand it to sorry hitler" is dumb or not.

I am certainly not. I'm not interested in listening to a 4 HOUR LONG podcast about social media and debating with noted UFC nothingness "Ryan Hall" to see if his position on hitler being sorry for genocide is good or bad.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

can't even get his god drat name right

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

JaySB posted:

I just found this out on twitter today. I'm as shocked as you are.

let me guess, their profile pic is a picture of their face with sunglasses taken in their car, they have an american flag emoji in their twitter name, and the only things they post about are politics and how you "can't say anything these days".

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Memento posted:

Oh hey, Carlos Condit is fighting this weekend! Let's take a quick look at his career.

He's lost his last 5 fights, and 6 of his last 7, being finished in 4 of them
He last won in May of 2015
He has wins over 0 active UFC fighters

I guess at least he's not getting viciously KO'd, and fighting Court McGee this weekend he probably won't be, but drat. The game has passed him by.

Just in time to make Diego Sanchez look a little bit less sad in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Could Israel Adesanya beat Ronda Rousey?