Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Life is pain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

BOB has completed his first competent act as GM

On the other hand, lol they wasted every single one of Deshaun's inexpensive years

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

EvilBeard posted:

Watson can come to Indy and we won't make him ride a bus to games for fear of death. We've only broken 1 QB.

Peyton needed a neck replacement

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
This defense is going to be awesome with clowney

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
CLOW-NEY CLOW-NEY CLOW-NEY CLOW-NEY

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Thinking about that sweet sweet edge clowney will set against the run

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I can't tell if you're joking or not but Clowney is one of the best run defenders in the league

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I would never joke about an edge being set properly how dare you

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
tits up!!!!!!!

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Titan up baby!!!!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Good luck to the olines with minimal time to gel trying to contain Clowney Jones Simmons and Landry lol

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Simmons is going to ball out hard this season.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Metapod posted:

Good luck to the olines with minimal time to gel trying to contain Clowney Jones Simmons and Landry lol

I know lmao Titan up

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Colts got the same offensive line as last year and are already gelled. Big Q gonna get his pancakes.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Good thing rivers will just throw it to byard

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

dj chark doo doo doo doo doo

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/TDavenport_NFL/status/1302661110403825669?s=19

Seems like someone who is worth a lot

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Aaron Donald is absurd

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I love the fit and am glad we finally signed the guy but I really hate that he waited this long to sign. Hope he doesn’t hurt himself trying to play into shape

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
That definitely is a concern

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Man teams are really going to have to run at evans and clowney lmfao

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I can see why Clowney held out as long as possible if all he ended up with was a one year deal

It's insane the dude couldn't get a multi year deal. Makes the Texans trading him look even worse

Teva
Feb 22, 2007

Found this if anyone is interested. The Jaguars have the youngest squad in the NFL at an average age of 24.9 yrs old. They've been one of the 10 youngest squads each of the last 5 years. So yeah, bad at drafting and/or retaining any talent they do happen across as well. None of that is news, but another metric to look at it.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2020-edition-falcons-jaguars-eagles/

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Intruder posted:

I can see why Clowney held out as long as possible if all he ended up with was a one year deal

It's insane the dude couldn't get a multi year deal. Makes the Texans trading him look even worse

I admittedly haven’t been following it too closely but I was under the impression he wanted a short term deal

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I admittedly haven’t been following it too closely but I was under the impression he wanted a short term deal

Could be true, I haven't been following that close either. I guess considering he's coming off one of his worst seasons statistically he might be wanting a prove it deal

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just found out Romeo Crennel is back in the booth as assistant HC, and Anthony Weaver is now DC. Probably for the best, since Crennel is seventy-three years old.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Teva posted:

Found this if anyone is interested. The Jaguars have the youngest squad in the NFL at an average age of 24.9 yrs old. They've been one of the 10 youngest squads each of the last 5 years. So yeah, bad at drafting and/or retaining any talent they do happen across as well. None of that is news, but another metric to look at it.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2020-edition-falcons-jaguars-eagles/

It's insane how high they've drafted for ever a decade with jack poo poo to for it.

Since your link came from Philly Voice, it reminded me of the only modern parallel I can think of which is the NBA Philadelphia 76ers. Motherfuckers intentionally tanked for like a decade to get draft picks but that poo poo doesn't work if you gently caress up the picks. I know it's not the NBA thread but the # of times they've poo poo this up is a lot like the Jags. They have Embiid and Ben Simmons to show for 10 years of sucking. Rest of their drafts look like this:

Evan Turner
Markel Fultz
Michael Carter Williams
Jaleel Okafer
Nerlens Noel
Jrue Holiday
Thaddeous Young

They passed on:

Devon Booker
Porzingis
Jayson Tatum
CJ McCollum
Demarcus Cousins
Paul George
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Dennis Shroder
Brandon INgram
Donovan Mitchell

It's pretty impressive.

Now they have two "superstars" that can't play together, guys like Horford and Tobias that you can't trade, no draft capital and not much else at all. You almost have to go out of your way to gently caress up drafts this badly. If I buy a newer version of NBA 2k I'm gonna make a team built entirely out of players the Sixers passed on. poo poo, same with Madden and the Jags to get it back on topic.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
They got two superstars that you can easily win with if you put roleplayers around them that make since. Seems like they did a good job

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Some of the dudes they drafted and dumped have gone on to be real good elsewhere too. Dumb ol sixers haha. They really should have kept Jimmy buckets and unloaded the coward Ben Simmons when they had the chance. Not sure what they were thinking with the horford signing though

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Philly was one Kawaii shot from winning last year and I will insist this is true forever! So were the jags 2 years ago.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Jags were a bad DPI call from more or less walking into the Superbowl

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Metapod posted:

They got two superstars that you can easily win with if you put roleplayers around them that make since. Seems like they did a good job

LOL, no. Did you miss the list of names they passed on that I posted? And, no, you can't easily win with Ben and Joel, that's the problem. They don't mesh well at all and are hard to find complimentary players that fit their skill sets to boot. Ben Simmons has the weirdest skill set I've seen in some time.

Sorry...my bad...I'll take my NBA derail to the appropriate thread. I just saw similarities in the 2 franchises and can't find another NFL team that's hosed up this many drafts like Jax has. Maybe the Jets or the Browns.

Speaking of loving up and back on topic...

WTF was with releasing Fournette? He was pretty good last year, wasn't costing them much and (one would think) had at least SOME value on the trade market. At least a 5th rounder somewhere. A 6th. Or anything at all besides "nothing". Just..my god. So now TB gets a good/decent player for a low salary that fits in well for them. If you're trying to tank, just bench the mother fucker or limit his carries. If you want to move him and can't, just wait until the trade deadline and for some contender to lose their starting RB and come calling. Most contenders can use a power back to punch it in from short yardage. Keeping him on the roster doesn't hurt the team at all since he'd be an UFA next season anyway.

ANOTHER Top Five pick no longer on the team. Makes no god damned sense unless he called Shad Kahn a racial slur or something.

Go Jags.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Yes I saw the list of names you posted that had zero context and partially not in the time frame they were doing the process. Just put some shooters with one being able to create for themself around ben and joel lol its not that hard to think of a team that can win with them

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

LOL, no. Did you miss the list of names they passed on that I posted? And, no, you can't easily win with Ben and Joel, that's the problem. They don't mesh well at all and are hard to find complimentary players that fit their skill sets to boot. Ben Simmons has the weirdest skill set I've seen in some time.

Sorry...my bad...I'll take my NBA derail to the appropriate thread. I just saw similarities in the 2 franchises and can't find another NFL team that's hosed up this many drafts like Jax has. Maybe the Jets or the Browns.

Speaking of loving up and back on topic...

WTF was with releasing Fournette? He was pretty good last year, wasn't costing them much and (one would think) had at least SOME value on the trade market. At least a 5th rounder somewhere. A 6th. Or anything at all besides "nothing". Just..my god. So now TB gets a good/decent player for a low salary that fits in well for them. If you're trying to tank, just bench the mother fucker or limit his carries. If you want to move him and can't, just wait until the trade deadline and for some contender to lose their starting RB and come calling. Most contenders can use a power back to punch it in from short yardage. Keeping him on the roster doesn't hurt the team at all since he'd be an UFA next season anyway.

ANOTHER Top Five pick no longer on the team. Makes no god damned sense unless he called Shad Kahn a racial slur or something.

Go Jags.

The issue is, you shouldn't spend a Top 5 pick on a RB. The difference between a RB drafted in the Top 5-10 and one at the bottom of R1/R2 isn't that wide. The reality is, Fournette was not good, wasn't a good fit, and the Jags are a poorly built organization that needs to strip it down and rebuild. They couldn't trade him, because why would a team pay money AND picks for a RB that isn't better or is marginally better than your current back. They just need to tank so they can draft a franchise QB (I think Minshew is decent and fun, but not franchise QB talent) or trade down in the draft to stock the roster.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

EvilBeard posted:

why would a team pay money AND picks for a RB that isn't better or is marginally better than your current back

Or, for example, trade a top 5 player at his position for one

Perhaps a RB3 on his current team

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I hope the Texans continue to do funny trades

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I hope the Texans continue to win the AFC South

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Metapod posted:

Yes I saw the list of names you posted that had zero context and partially not in the time frame they were doing the process.

The context was "other players they could have drafted instead of the ones they did while deliberately tanking for high picks, specifically during the process". I used basketball-reference.com to look at drafts, similar to what I did way up thread for the Jags' drafts. I suppose one could argue when The Process officially ended but multiple first and second round playoff exits, a fired coach, no idea how to move forward and a disgruntled fan base suggest it's ongoing.

Sorry again for NBA poo poo in the AFC thread.

I'll drop it now.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
As the creator of this thread I would actually prefer more NBA content itt. Especially if it means making GBS threads on eastern conference teams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

thrilla in vanilla posted:

As the creator of this thread I would actually prefer more NBA content itt. Especially if it means making GBS threads on eastern conference teams

Go grizz