Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Athanatos posted:

He's gone, he cant hurt you anymore.

This is never true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I can't penetrate all the layers of shitposting that's sincere and/or ironic shitposting so do your things I guess?

:confuoot:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Asproigerosis posted:

Listen jack, this is my NFC East forum thread

:hmmno:

The only thing that matters is next year the NFC East must fulfil its destiny and send a 6-win team to the playoffs. The coward Doug Pederson denied us this glory this year, and then the refs denied us a 7-win team beating noted cheater/child toucher Tom Br*dy, but hopefully, we can achieve the true enlightenment that comes from a 6-10 team hosting multiple playoff games!

Praise be to the NFC East. gently caress Jerry Jones.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ostentatious posted:

Can someone please provide me with the Chud power rankings I would greatly appreciate it

By team or by individual? I can't be definitive but Doug Pederson and Carson Wentz are high up on the list of any right leaning Jesus heavy guys and apparently still couldn't get along and now they're both gone.

I'm not sure what that says about CHUDS, NFL employees, Doug or Carson.

Or Desean Jackson for that matter.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

On the team three days and already losing power struggles to second-year receivers :laffo: gently caress you wentz it's what you deserve

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Of course we won't discuss nick foles graduating from liberty with a clergy degree for obvious reasons.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
gonna be sad when you can just say "wentz sucks" in the NFC East thread and everyone just ignores you because it's no longer relevant

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Gonna be sad when Wentz wins a super bowl with the Ind...

*bwahahah*

Sorry I couldn’t type that with a straight face!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Eagles cutting Alshon

:toot:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Asproigerosis posted:

Of course we won't discuss nick foles graduating from liberty with a clergy degree for obvious reasons.

Foles knows not to talk about Jesus to teammates unless they ask you to

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Eagles cutting Alshon

:toot:

His Superbowl catch will remain one of my fondest football memories

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://frontofficesports.com/jeff-bezos-washington-football-team/

Bezos wants The Team so drat bad. Danny ain’t selling unless some smoking gun turns up about the cheerleaders or the workplace harassment...we’ll see.

:munch:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

multiple smoking guns have turned up already

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Sadly the league requires video/audio evidence of rape or sexual harassment before they’ll kick an owner out of the good old boys club or Danny would’ve been gone a long time ago. I keep hoping they’ll find a copy of the “Snyder cut” of that cheerleader swim suit photo shoot in the Caribbean. Supposedly former rear end in a top hat Bruce Allen had it made for Danny to jerk off too. God I want this team sold so bad. Not that Bezos is going to be a better choice or anything, he’s got plenty of scumbag behavior in his past too.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

The Washington Primes*

*Where available

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The Washington Free Next Day Deliveries

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I'd rather Dan Snyder own the team for the rest of my life than Jeff loving Bezos.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Mind_Taker posted:

I'd rather Dan Snyder own the team for the rest of my life than Jeff loving Bezos.

*Looks at last 20 years of ownership*

No

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

incorrect

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Mind_Taker posted:

Disagree

I hope he buys it and it bankrupts him somehow

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Shinjobi posted:

Disagree

I hope he buys it and it bankrupts him somehow

That would be like a normal person finding a way to go bankrupt over a cup of coffee.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That would be like a normal person finding a way to go bankrupt over a cup of coffee.

Yeah. It would be great.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
LOL Eagles fans and apparently even the owner are implying they need to cut everybody and intentionally tank this year. In this poo poo rear end division. gently caress that.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

BiggerBoat posted:

LOL Eagles fans and apparently even the owner are implying they need to cut everybody and intentionally tank this year. In this poo poo rear end division. gently caress that.

They're like 50 million over the cap

they need to cut a lot of people

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

The fun part is they actually can't "cut everyone" because they have a bunch of guys with big contracts that have a bigger cap hit if they're cut than if they stay on the team.

They actually need to cut a bunch of guys AND restructure/extend a bunch of guys to spread out the cap damage over a few years.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://wtop.com/washington-football/2021/02/ex-washington-employees-ask-nfl-to-release-report-findings/

LMAO ain’t poo poo gonna happen, Roger’s got Danny’s back.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

It's time to Trust the Process 2

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The NFL is the one league where you can build from the middle and not tank but sure go ahead.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Again, the Eagles cannot cut all of their older players to tank the season. They'd be much better off if they could! Instead, they are signing Slay, Graham, Kelce, Johnson, and possibly others to extensions/restructures, allowing them to be within the cap this year, but extending the cap nightmare for years to come. So they're going to have a bunch of guys in their mid 30's taking up half the payroll for the next three years while they keep going 6-10 because they can't draft and don't have any room to sign free agents.

So yeah, they're not tanking - because they can't!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:siren:

https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/3/5/...o-sell-the-team

Not sure how much I believe this but fingers crossed! Just because they recommend it doesn’t mean the other owners will take the advice...

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Not sure how much I believe this but fingers crossed! Just because they recommend it doesn’t mean the other owners will take the advice...

NFL owners aren’t brave enough, or give enough of a poo poo, to do what the NBA did and force Sterling to sell. Largely because the players aren’t going to stop playing like the Clippers were about to do.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Cartoon Man posted:

a boy can dream

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

NFL owners aren’t brave enough, or give enough of a poo poo, to do what the NBA did and force Sterling to sell. Largely because the players aren’t going to stop playing like the Clippers were about to do.

The fix might be in. They league just signed a massive deal with Amazon for streaming games and they already have the AWS cloud services deal. Bezos recently bought a huge mansion in DC. Money talks and if they feel they can make more money with Bezos owning the team, that just might be enough for them to toss Danny out. But it will have nothing to do with sexual harassment or anything in the report, lol. They don’t care about that.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Didn't they force the Panthers owner to sell?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

Didn't they force the Panthers owner to sell?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/18/facing-misconduct-investigation-panthers-owner-selling-team.html

He was using racist language towards black employees and sexually suggestive language to female employees. He paid them off in a settlement. The problem with the Washington FT is that all that poo poo happened to his executives and not necessarily him. Bruce Allen and Larry Michael. There’s allegations against Snyder but not much evidence or witnesses willing to testify. Is it enough to force a sell? Maybe. Fingers crossed. The other owners will absolutely protect their own unless you really gently caress up. Not sure if the evidence is enough for them consider that. Be funny if Ron Rivera is the first coach to serve under two different team owners that are forced to sell.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CowboysStats/status/1368693300639711233?s=19

Whole thread is NEAT.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

drat why would you ever run the ball if every play is -epa

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

drat why would you ever run the ball if every play is -epa

IDK if this is an "Advanced Metrics are stupid" or "I'm actually curious" question, but I'm going to answer as if its the latter:

1) EPA is a relatively new measure of on-field success, that really only came available in the last few years as play logs from every single game were aggregated into databases (like baseball has been doing for a century), and people started using these new piles of information to extrapolate new data.

2) EPA paints a broad-stroke picture, thats too big for a single play or series, or even a single game. Sure, *if you can get 6 yards on a first down pass, its better than getting 3 on a first down run, but maybe there are in-game reasons (whether they're true or not) that you believe the higher likelihood of 3 is a better choice than the lower likelihood of the 6, and its really only recently (except for the genius of Bill Walsh) that short timing routes and quick easy passes with high completion chances have become a standard part of football offenses. The rise of league-wide completion percentages over the last 30 years alone have changed how modern offenses operate. If your QB is 15-20% more likely today to complete that 6 yard pass, then you may think twice about calling a run there.

3) Which dovetails into the next point: football changes slowly, and many of the coordinators and head coaches got into the game 20-40 years ago. They are going to have bias, in some respect, that the things that were true when they started coaching are still true today. "Running backs wear down defenses." "Establishing the Run Opens Up the Pass." etc. Its only recently that people have had the tools to really analyze these truisms and see if they hold up to scrutiny.

4) Player tracking data has only recently shown that while defenses DO in fact slow down after lots of running plays, they slow down just as much after lots of passing plays, and, in fact, Offenses slow down JUST AS MUCH because lol duh, people get tired after awhile. Aggregated EPA data (again, only recently available) has shown that there is no material difference in the passing game if a team runs the ball well in the first half of the game.

In conclusion, Since the advent of film study, and its growth under Landry, analysis of football performance was limited, for 50 years, to just watching individual games and mining individual data points. Only the true geniuses of their time could see the patterns and truths hidden underneath the game. Here's Bill Walsh talking about using the Pass to set up the Run with play action:

quote:

The defense has a difficult time accounting for the play-pass in terms of both preparation and actual game execution. If your line blocking and backfield faking is well-coordinated and well-executed, the defense must account for that in the running game. So, this is the one action that along with other special plays can disrupt defensive continuity. This is why it is the best single tool in breaking a defense. It can be can be run to gain a first down with a hooking type pass or it can be employed to score from down the field with a pass that goes beyond the secondary defenders. It is extremely difficult to stop a well conceived and executed play-pass unless the defense is concentrating on it. And, when they begin thinking about whether a particular play can be a play-pass or a run, then the running game is enhanced measurably.
http://www.westcoastoffense.com/bill%20walsh%20article%202.htm
This was in the 1970's! It would be nearly 40 years before all the play data could be aggregated into online databases, and could spit out metrics like EPA that he, and other far-seeing coaches could be corroborated.

So its not a matter of being stupid, or making bad decisions. Coaches used the information they had available to them, and the principals of football success they had learned to build teams that were successful. As new information comes available, that information has value, and the coaches that see that value and use it appropriately will increase their level of success accordingly.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Its kind of like Bill James' WAR metric, calculated to show the truest value of a baseball player's batting contribution beyond just Runs and Average. At first its daunting because there is a big equation, and it makes people feel like, "Baseball isn't played on a spreadsheet!" but one of the truest tests is when you look at the

all-time WAR leaderboard:

Rank Player (yrs, age) Wins Above Replacement
1. Babe Ruth+ (22) 182.5
2. Walter Johnson+ (21) 164.5
3. Cy Young+ (22) 163.8
4. Barry Bonds (22) 162.8
5. Willie Mays+ (22) 156.2
6. Ty Cobb+ (24) 151.0
7. Henry Aaron+ (23) 143.1
8. Roger Clemens (24) 139.2
9. Tris Speaker+ (22) 134.2
10. Honus Wagner+ (21) 130.8
11. Stan Musial+ (22) 128.3
12. Rogers Hornsby+ (23) 127.1
13. Eddie Collins+ (25) 123.9
14. Ted Williams+ (19) 121.9

It enhances your understanding of the game, and it further entrenches the legends of the past as truly great. It stands the test of time, as it were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

War is garbage. All of the one size fits all ones are and imho detract from the game and enjoying it