Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Doltos posted:

Only in TFF can someone defend a 190 yds 2 ints 4 sack performance as passing all over a team, especially when one of the TDs came from a dump off.

I did not say that. I said the Giants defense right now is at best equal to the average defense Mitch has faced in his few years of starting. Mitch had his average game.

Since Mitch is a below average QB, letting him have his average game against you is not a strong definition of success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've been a Dak doubter for a long time. I still don't think he's as good as Romo, but he's definitely a good to great QB.

100 percent :agreed:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

mikeraskol posted:

Why would you hope for that when there’s two outstanding qb prospects in the draft that are already better than he could ever hope to be. Just cut bait on the fumbling doofus.

I mean, like someone else already said, I'd want that if it wasn't impossible because of Gettleman.

As a Giants fan, I've resigned myself to misery until Gettleman is out

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
He’s already on thin ice. There’s no way Gettleman will be back if we are picking that high.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Boosh! posted:

He’s already on thin ice. There’s no way Gettleman will be back if we are picking that high.

I hope so

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

gently caress the Cowboys.

But Dak is a really good QB who is easy to discount because the coaching on the Cowboys sucks and can always be relied on to put their talent in the worst possible positions. He's deffo a top-10 qb.

But gently caress the Cowboys.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Mr. Nice! posted:

I did not say that. I said the Giants defense right now is at best equal to the average defense Mitch has faced in his few years of starting. Mitch had his average game.

Since Mitch is a below average QB, letting him have his average game against you is not a strong definition of success.

Steelers defense gave up 279 yards, 2 tds, and 2 ints to Jones. He's a below average to bad QB. Steelers defense is widely considered a top 10 defense.

The Giants have a good defense. Field position and constant 3 and outs matter.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Doltos posted:

Steelers defense gave up 279 yards, 2 tds, and 2 ints to Jones. He's a below average to bad QB. Steelers defense is widely considered a top 10 defense.

The Giants have a good defense. Field position and constant 3 and outs matter.

Jones averages 236 ypg, 1.7 td/g, and 1 int. The steelers put up a worst performance against the giants than the average opponent Jones has faced. We're only two games into the season, but they didn't look great against Jones (compared to his average performance) and gave up 21 points to the Broncos as well. Jones does not have a full season worth of starts yet, though, so his averages are probably not representative long term.

The Giants defensive performance yesterday was roughly the average defense that Mitch has faced over 53 games. As the Bears have been, not good, over that timeframe, they haven't exactly been slated against the best defenses in the league routinely. Your defense might look alright next week against a very injured 49ers team, but I think you're going to get blown out badly by the Rams in two weeks. Giants defense on the year is probably going to end up ranked around 18-20.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I love everything about the Giants/Eagles/Team so long as they lose, so that makes the division good

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Shinjobi posted:

I love everything about the Giants/Eagles/Team so long as they lose, so that makes the division good

t:mad:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Mr. Nice! posted:

Jones averages 236 ypg, 1.7 td/g, and 1 int. The steelers put up a worst performance against the giants than the average opponent Jones has faced. We're only two games into the season, but they didn't look great against Jones (compared to his average performance) and gave up 21 points to the Broncos as well. Jones does not have a full season worth of starts yet, though, so his averages are probably not representative long term.

The Giants defensive performance yesterday was roughly the average defense that Mitch has faced over 53 games. As the Bears have been, not good, over that timeframe, they haven't exactly been slated against the best defenses in the league routinely. Your defense might look alright next week against a very injured 49ers team, but I think you're going to get blown out badly by the Rams in two weeks. Giants defense on the year is probably going to end up ranked around 18-20.

So using that logic are the Steelers playing up or down to what people assume, or is Mitch playing up or down to what people assume.

Throwing for average means nothing. Mitch routinely goes up and down from his average against a variety of teams. What does matter is that he threw 28 times and only got 190 yards, one of them being a big dump off run. The Giants defense performed well to great. If they end up 18-20 it's because of the offense, much in the same way offenses can get screwed over or put up more stats depending on their defense.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

I personally love the realization that all 4 teams are loving awful but the Cowboys activated the latent NFCE genes that lay dormant inside the Atlanta Falcons in order to steal a win.

The clownball's will be done.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the Giants defense is good. it's just a shame that the offense is so bad it looks meh

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Doltos posted:

I just want Febreeze to admit that the Giants defense is actually good and Mitchell Trubisky did in fact not pass all over them.

They played the Bears and let him march down the field in the first half. Montgomery pushed them around. They tightened up the second half for sure, but lets not pretend shutting down the Bears is a noteworthy feat. I was more impressed by their performance last week against the Steelers, though for an entire quarter Big Ben looked completely rusty and they broke it open later.

I'm not sold on this defense. I would have said that next week against the 49ers would be the big test, but now half that team is dead so I won't be surprised if they look okay against Nick fuckin Mullens.

Bradberry was worth it though, he rules. The D-line has gotten more pressure than none, which is what I expected so that's been a decent uplift. Being better than expected doesn't make them good.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
How can a group of that many hogmollies possibly be bad

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/paulhembo/status/1308020568290029568?s=21

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Thats a spicy meatball

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Carson Wentz and Dwayne Haskins ranked #31 and #32 in QBR after 2 weeks.

Jesus Christ.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Carson Wentz and Dwayne Haskins ranked #31 and #32 in QBR after 2 weeks.

Jesus Christ.

and Josh Allen is 4th, and Drew Brees is 17th, Tom Brady and Kirk Cousins are 30 and 31 - lets all slow tf down through only 2 weeks.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Dak Prescott has not thrown an interception since Nov. 28, 2019.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SportsSturm/status/1308398571188879362

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ball went around 50 yards in the air (from 18 yard line to 32 yard line) and Dak threw it knowing he was about to take a hit. It's a great pass and an amazing catch by cooper.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

quote:

This was one for the record books and one for the Dak Prescott supporters’ scrapbooks. The numbers are the numbers, but honestly, this is also one for those who don’t think Prescott can play the position at a level where he can determine games. If you [the "eye-test" people] can watch some of the top-level games that he has produced — especially since 2018 — and not see his quality, then I propose that it might not be something you are capable of detecting at this point.
https://theathletic.com/2084522/2020/09/22/

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/JoriEpstein/status/1308077209287090181

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Me: getting in those comments to fist fight each person that talks poo poo about romo

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
What vaunted defenses Romo slaughtered like the 2012 Redskins

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

That Broncos game in 2013 was one of the greatest offensive football games I’ve ever seen.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

lol at those sacks.
My favorite game was that broncos game on there. (still lost)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Its a fun stat, but not very meaningful. Those games for Romo were games with lots of turnovers and sacks, and where the Defense gave up 30+ points, and he had to throw a ton to try to keep the team in the game. The yardage totals there are more a reflection of the game state.

Only the ATL and PHI games were like that for Dak (where they went 1-1), the other 3 were just Dallas absolutely trouncing the opposing team.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Daks team probably averages a hundred more rushing yards in those games

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Professor of Cats posted:

lol at those sacks.
My favorite game was that broncos game on there. (still lost)

That was what finally turned me against the average "Cowboys Fan". Romo loving puts up 5 touchdowns, 500 (!!) yards, completes 70 goddamn % of his passes, still takes 4 sacks, and everyone bitches about the lone interception he threw.

"gurr gurr he threw it when the game was on the line dughh hurr." THE GAME IS ALWAYS ON THE LINE. 48 POINTS SHOULD ALWAYS WIN THE GAME, IF IT DOESN'T YOU CAN BLAME YOUR DEFENSE.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Raku posted:

Daks team probably averages a hundred more rushing yards in those games

Something like that:

Only the Redskins game with Romo had at least 100 (exactly) rushing yards.

In contrast, Dak teams rushed for
- 142 against Philly
- 122 against GB(Loss)
- 125 against ATL

And <100 in the other 2 games.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Michael Lombardi: Carson Wentz needs to improve, but also needs better talent around him

quote:

Wentz has not been the same since the knee injury he suffered at the end of the 2017 season, when he was playing at an MVP-caliber level....

Since beating the Patriots in Super Bowl LII, the Eagles are 19-18 overall counting playoffs, and eight of those 19 wins have come against the New York Football Giants and the [Washington]football team.

quote:

The Eagles in 2017 had the seventh-most third downs in all of football. They were the only playoff team in the bottom third of that category, yet they were the best team in the NFL at converting third-and-long.

On third down during the 2017 season, Wentz averaged an amazing 9.50 yards per pass attempt, threw 14 touchdown passes and only three picks.
Since ‘17, Wentz is 14-16 as a starter, counting playoffs, and his third-down numbers have gone way down. He now averages 6.42 yards per pass play, throwing 15 touchdowns and one interception on third down.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
friendly reminder, I have at least one month-long trial subscription to The Athletic left to give out, if anyone is interested.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

blarzgh posted:

That was what finally turned me against the average "Cowboys Fan". Romo loving puts up 5 touchdowns, 500 (!!) yards, completes 70 goddamn % of his passes, still takes 4 sacks, and everyone bitches about the lone interception he threw.

"gurr gurr he threw it when the game was on the line dughh hurr." THE GAME IS ALWAYS ON THE LINE. 48 POINTS SHOULD ALWAYS WIN THE GAME, IF IT DOESN'T YOU CAN BLAME YOUR DEFENSE.

Actually, same. many dumb bar arguments defending Romo and I can't tell you how many times I heard "he wasnt clutch enough"

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

blarzgh posted:

friendly reminder, I have at least one month-long trial subscription to The Athletic left to give out, if anyone is interested.

I am!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Sent!

Just checked, I have 2 left now

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I remember early 2010s with radios and bars filled with "WE NEEDTA GET A TOM BRADY OR A PEYTON HERE IN DALLAS. ROMO AIN'T CLUTCH."

Beep boop. So simple. Just go....get a Peyton Manning.

Also lmfao the masterpiece of Romo's career is his playing a perfect loving game in Lambeau against the Packers in the playoffs, only to have his RB and WR drop the ball literally and figuratively. His defense coming up short was always expected.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

I remember early 2010s with radios and bars filled with "WE NEEDTA GET A TOM BRADY OR A PEYTON HERE IN DALLAS. ROMO AIN'T CLUTCH."

Beep boop. So simple. Just go....get a Peyton Manning.

Also lmfao the masterpiece of Romo's career is his playing a perfect loving game in Lambeau against the Packers in the playoffs, only to have his RB and WR drop the ball literally and figuratively. His defense coming up short was always expected.

Peyton: 2-4
Rodgers: 1-5
Wilson: 0-3
Brady: 2-2
Brees: 0-3
Montana: 0-3
Favre: 0-7

These are the all-time greats playoff records when their Defense allows 30 or more points.

Edit: Holy poo poo, in all the Playoff games Tom Brady has ever played in, Belichick's defenses have only allowed 30+ four times

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Dak is good, as blarzgh likes to consistently remind us all with his Cowboy Stats Boners. At this stage of their careers, he's clearly ahead of Wentz who just looks positively lost and is regressing by the week. I was talking about JAX (who everyone had ranked #32 going in) in the AFCS thread - trying to pick the shittiest team in the league so far - and I have NYJ, NYG, CAR, CIN, DET and WAS in that order

But gently caress me if the Eagles don't fit in there somewhere (probably #5 or 6), especially since Washington kicked their rear end.

Would not shock me at all to see Hurts in a game before week 8 if this continues. Right now, the birds would be lucky to get a 4th rounder for Carson, who looks like complete poo poo. I thought he looked bad last year but everyone blamed it on the WR's getting decimated (which is fair I guess). But he's running out of excuses and the fan base is turning on him.