Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Professor Funk posted:

miami fans, i know gase was really bad in miami. was he THIS bad? i am having trouble even comprehending the lack of leadership and accountability.

https://twitter.com/Connor_J_Hughes/status/1308795614143156224?s=20

If only the other team wasn't in the way, then his players could execute their roles perfectly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I did find something pretty funny- Mike Gesicki is PFF's #1 rated tight end... in terms of run blocking.

Yes it's PFF, and yes he's doing it as a de facto WR against DBs he's half a foot taller than and 50 pounds heavier than, but the dude has really improved as a stalk blocker.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Gase spends countless hours in his office away from his family and misses the birth of his children so he can spend more time not assessing his teams' strengths or game planning around his opponents' weaknesses

Nov 6, 2002

fsif posted:

Gase spends countless hours in his office away from his family and misses the birth of his children so he can spend more time not assessing his teams' strengths or game planning around his opponents' weaknesses

And this is why he gets jobs and recommendations! Football people look at how hard he works and think, wow he must be a genius!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Kalli posted:

Man, the amount of piling on is pretty ridiculous. (and pretty deserved). If this keeps up, Gase has to be fired sooner rather then later right? Like what's the earliest a coach has been fired?

https://twitter.com/danorlovsky7/status/1308766806912401413

gase will probably make it to the bye and then from there his seat is gonna be flaming hot; he may even get the dreaded vote of confidence

Professor Funk posted:

miami fans, i know gase was really bad in miami. was he THIS bad? i am having trouble even comprehending the lack of leadership and accountability.

https://twitter.com/Connor_J_Hughes/status/1308795614143156224?s=20

he got the dolphins back in the playoffs for the first time since chad loving pennington amd the god drat wildcat and then tannehill lost a whole season and instead of signing kaepernick they opted to sign jay cutler (who did okay but was pretty clearly washed up)

basically just a series of built in excuses as to why the team was underperforming, and then he got canned at 7-9 when ross cleaned house so most of his red flags (cutesy playbook, awful with the press) never really came up with miami or national media

https://www.nfl.com/videos/dolphins-postgame-press-conference-266758

it’s always been there, though, just lots of deflection in losses, same stuff about getting open and not executing, just without the ny press corps to rake him over the coals for it

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
And on a micro level, his disdain for RBs, o-line and personality were very evident all the way through

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Doesn't he realize that throwing his players under the bus doesn't make him look any better?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

gase would make the team execution joke in full seriousness

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
He has always been certain of his own genius, to his detriment. Gets fixated on schemes, personnel and cannot shake his initial impressions. P. Manning was a genius, even when he had no arm, so he could make a poor play call/scheme work. Gase recognizes that Tannehill/Darnold are not that kind of genius, so he limits their ability to make changes, leaving just a baseline scheme that is predictable. Result is obvious.

He was kept afloat season one by Ajayi having a career season, and even then, they won by field goals and lost by touchdowns. He got rid of Ajayi, and Drake was pretty good, but never had those break the bank games Ajayi had, so even fewer FG wins, more touchdown loses.

But he always blamed players.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
How could he think that a scheme that involves running a 38 year old RB into the line 21 times would win him a game though? He's not even trying.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mcmagic posted:

How could he think that a scheme that involves running a 38 year old RB into the line 21 times would win him a game though? He's not even trying.

Easy. He ran for more than 4 per carry for the fins, and he notably had almost no negative plays. That's why he got the start over Drake, even though he was never going to give you a big play. So, playing not to have negative versus playing for the positive. So, Gase remembers a Gore that doesn't exist anymore, but his expectations do not change.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

mcmagic posted:

I've never heard a coach say this before....

I mean if you can control for execution every offensive play would be a hail mary and kickers would routinely kick FGs from mid field.

Saying that the play call is good but for execution, suggests that even if Gase is telling the truth and he is designing the plays that have the highest probability of success, the players are so inept that they are still not capable of executing it.

Like coaches can and do say that about a few plays in a game. The 4th down QB sneak they hosed up this or that block and that's why it didn't succeed, ok.

There is a real danger to say that about practically every play the course of a whole game, game after game. Its like erosion wave after wave beating down the rock. It makes your team feel like a bunch of losers. And the 49ers game is proof positive of that. Mayo sandwich is right when he says the Jets were afraid. They aren't afraid of the other team in a physical sense, they are afraid of themselves mentally. They are afraid of making mistakes.

It's so painfully obvious that Sam Darnold is OVERTHINKING it.

Peyton Manning was a cerebral quarterback and was one of the few who could succeed as much on that as anything else. It's possible that Gase may have an idiot savant talent of developing those very specific types of quarterbacks.

Everyone thinks Sam Darnold is a cerebral quarterback but what if he's deep down more of an instinctual quarterback? Was that great throw made by Xs and Os or did the kid escape the pocket and gun it downfield?

What if he can't find the confidence he needs when he can't even get permission to sneak by himself and he has a loving rear end in a top hat telling him everything he has to do and everything he is loving up?

That to me is the big question for the Jets. Does Darnold not have it, or is he being coached poorly?

I think its 100% the coaching.
Gase is killing his confidence.

Nov 6, 2002

pasaluki posted:

I mean if you can control for execution every offensive play would be a hail mary and kickers would routinely kick FGs from mid field.

Saying that the play call is good but for execution, suggests that even if Gase is telling the truth and he is designing the plays that have the highest probability of success, the players are so inept that they are still not capable of executing it.

Like coaches can and do say that about a few plays in a game. The 4th down QB sneak they hosed up this or that block and that's why it didn't succeed, ok.

There is a real danger to say that about practically every play the course of a whole game, game after game. Its like erosion wave after wave beating down the rock. It makes your team feel like a bunch of losers. And the 49ers game is proof positive of that. Mayo sandwich is right when he says the Jets were afraid. They aren't afraid of the other team in a physical sense, they are afraid of themselves mentally. They are afraid of making mistakes.

It's so painfully obvious that Sam Darnold is OVERTHINKING it.

Peyton Manning was a cerebral quarterback and was one of the few who could succeed as much on that as anything else. It's possible that Gase may have an idiot savant talent of developing those very specific types of quarterbacks.

Everyone thinks Sam Darnold is a cerebral quarterback but what if he's deep down more of an instinctual quarterback? Was that great throw made by Xs and Os or did the kid escape the pocket and gun it downfield?

What if he can't find the confidence he needs when he can't even get permission to sneak by himself and he has a loving rear end in a top hat telling him everything he has to do and everything he is loving up?

That to me is the big question for the Jets. Does Darnold not have it, or is he being coached poorly?

I think its 100% the coaching.
Gase is killing his confidence.

I kinda think you hit it on the head. In an NFL offense if a player is not 100% confident in the read he's making, or the route he's supposed to be running or whatever, there is literally no chance he will be able to execute it correctly in a way that uses his athleticism fully and allows him to beat his matchup. Any hesitation is going to prevent proper execution. Thing is, the concepts that Gase's offense are trying to execute are so basic and yet they're still failing!

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Seems like Cager might get called up from the PS this week?? I was semi-excited about him in camp.

https://twitter.com/lawrencecager3/status/1308858313904455681?s=20

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Didnt Gase say the exact same thing about the executing when he was Dolphins HC? Or am I confusing that with saying "players need to run the plays I call" which was basically directed at Ajayi?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I stand by my statement that Cager will be the Jets best non-Crowder WR this year.

One thing that non-Dolphins fans tend to forget about Gase’s one playoff season (not that anyone was defending him) is that the schedule was incredibly weak.

They beat one winning team, Pittsburgh, who then thumped them in the wildcard round, and their wins came against teams who were a combined 42-85-1.

Even despite the weak opponents they needed mini miracles against the Browns, Rams, 9ers, and Cardinals (14-49-1) and easily could have lost all 4 and should have lost to the 1-15 Browns who missed 5 field goals in an a game that went to overtime.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Thing is, the concepts that Gase's offense are trying to execute are so basic and yet they're still failing!

And that may be an indicator that we arent talking about a great team in general. But as much as I poo poo on mcmagic the Jets are talented enough that they should not let the 49ers who can barely field a team beat them in that matter. The fact that it was home is even worse. When the opposing QB goes down one would think that would have some impact on what the team would do tactically.

Most teams become much more aggressive on offense if even ONLY the QB goes down because the penalty for turning the ball over isn't the same with Kelly Holcomb or Derek Anderson caliber player as the opposite QB.

But no adjustments made, practically no downfield throwing, lots of running up the middle and chewing up the clock even though the teams losing, gutless field goals. Etc.

People downplay the mentality of a football team as if it doesn't exist. I dont know how much I'm into the "culture" thing as used in the positive because I've seen alot of teams that weren't all rah rah kick alot of rear end. What I do believe in is that a team can however get a negative mentality and that really can have a huge impact.

With the Jets you have a great example of a coach who not only cannot encourage and motivate men, but actively discourages them and blames them for failings that reflect at least in part on himself. So its not a surprise that the 49ers can go Metlife and take what they want.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

fsif posted:

Feeling the pulse of this thread a bit, I'm thinking most non-Bills posters would maybe prefer NE to win the division versus having to deal with another cavalcade of Allen posts.

Not this poster.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Robert Mays in his new podcast said that Josh Allen told him that he didn't know you weren't supposed to just throw the ball as hard as you can every pass and that Allen only ever even learned about touch at an undisclosed time during his NFL career.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
So nobody once ever told him something that every single big armed QB heard all the time? Not trying to hate here but this is like the whole omg Troy Williams on just needs contacts!!! (In the sense that it’s an oversimplified explanation to a criticism of a player)

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

He never went to quarterback camps growing up and he played in the Mountain West. Still sounds ridiculous but hey, we saw his rookie year.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i mean craig bohl and brent vigen aren't loving stupid; they developed carson wentz who can put some touch on the ball

i think it's more likely josh allen had been told many times to not huck it every time he was throwing a pass longer than 5 yards and it just didn't stick until he was in the nfl

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Declan MacManus posted:

i mean craig bohl and brent vigen aren't loving stupid; they developed carson wentz who can put some touch on the ball

whoa there

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Idk if you've seen Carson Wentz play but uhh

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

This is a legitimately astounding stat

https://twitter.com/Michael_Nania/status/1309115159382757377?s=20

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Nania is great for these little 'huh. how about that" factoids.

https://twitter.com/Michael_Nania/status/1309126863567179784

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

He's only 19! Manish wrote a puff piece about him recently lol

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

How many of those runs were done when the Jets were down 2+ scores, though?

I mean the Jets should still do more play action regardless.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Jets posted the highlights from the 2002 Colts playoff game on their youtube this AM. That will most likely still be my best moment as a jets fan in another 18 years.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Gase is such a poison it isn’t even funny seeing you guys go through literally the exact thing miami fans did except we at least got to the playoffs thanks to Tannehill and Ajayi

He’s destroying your young promising QB

He’s refusing to adapt and instead blaming execution by the players

He’s being an rear end in a top hat to anyone and everything he seems threatening to his authority / ego

He’s racking up ridiculous penalties and essentially leading an undisciplined team

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The thing about Gase is just forget that he's an rear end in a top hat or that he has bad relationships with people or whatever. I don't really care about that. It just comes down to that his gameplans and playcalls suck and he loses. Period, end of story. He could behave however he wanted if he won but he doesn't.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
That’s not exactly true though. Coaching styles and attitudes are grating to certain players and it’s without a doubt an effective way to run players out of the program but you’re right. Look at bill b. Nobody would put up with his poo poo if he didn’t win

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Amy Pole Her posted:

That’s not exactly true though. Coaching styles and attitudes are grating to certain players and it’s without a doubt an effective way to run players out of the program but you’re right. Look at bill b. Nobody would put up with his poo poo if he didn’t win

New/losing head coaches simply can't get away with being assholes because they suffer from legitimacy problems. Players after awhile stop believing that coaches like that truly know better.

Bill B is an rear end in a top hat yes but the big difference psychologically is that players know what he does works. Players will for lack of a better term "shut up and dribble" for Belichick because more likely than not the team will win alot of games.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

lol why not

https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/1309157288175898624?s=20

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I mean, between Gase's general disregard for feedback and the butchers they employ as doctors this is not surprising

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
It really isn’t, and knowing what I know about the relationship between doctor coach GM and player, it wasn’t rare for the player to be the last updated.

So it’s not as silly as some might suggest.

Nov 6, 2002

My theory is that Belichick behind the scenes is secretly more of a players coach than he lets on publically. He's clearly not some Couglineqsue rear end in a top hat that calls out players publically and screams at them on the sidelines. And none of the anecdotes I've read indicate he's some kind of drill sergeant type who constantly yells and berates players to motivate them. But at the same time I think he's brutally emotionless when it comes to evaluating players worth to the team and will low-ball, cut or trade anyone if it's advantageous. I think alot of the assistant coaches are put in positions of being the rear end in a top hat bad cops, which would explain why they all turn out the way they do when they leave.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
That fins O looks a lot better when no playing against some of the best D. Uptempo and efficient.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Dolphins are like a watchable bad team with a pulse and they look like they are interested in playing. Huge step up from the Jets............

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

One of the hosts from the Bills podcast I listened to said he thinks Miami is an 8- or 9-win team.