Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
All these tiny guys are so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

oh good it’s time for fitzmagic horseshit

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Good to see the defense is still terrible.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

fsif posted:

One of the hosts from the Bills podcast I listened to said he thinks Miami is an 8- or 9-win team.

so they put tua in halfway and win out?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

My theory is that Belichick behind the scenes is secretly more of a players coach than he lets on publically. He's clearly not some Couglineqsue rear end in a top hat that calls out players publically and screams at them on the sidelines. And none of the anecdotes I've read indicate he's some kind of drill sergeant type who constantly yells and berates players to motivate them. But at the same time I think he's brutally emotionless when it comes to evaluating players worth to the team and will low-ball, cut or trade anyone if it's advantageous. I think alot of the assistant coaches are put in positions of being the rear end in a top hat bad cops, which would explain why they all turn out the way they do when they leave.

I spoke with a guy who played QB for them briefly (albeit didn’t actually “play” but you know what I mean) and he didn’t have a great opinion of the guy but then again, he was traded to Indy so -> ?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

My theory is that Belichick behind the scenes is secretly more of a players coach than he lets on publically. He's clearly not some Couglineqsue rear end in a top hat that calls out players publically and screams at them on the sidelines. And none of the anecdotes I've read indicate he's some kind of drill sergeant type who constantly yells and berates players to motivate them. But at the same time I think he's brutally emotionless when it comes to evaluating players worth to the team and will low-ball, cut or trade anyone if it's advantageous. I think alot of the assistant coaches are put in positions of being the rear end in a top hat bad cops, which would explain why they all turn out the way they do when they leave.

I agree with this take. Cantankerous, surly, emotionally distant, curt, they're all apt.

Players are cogs to be put into the Patriots machine and replaced when newer pieces are available or their cost of upkeep runs too high.

I don't know that I've ever really read a damning account of him being an outright unrepentant rear end in a top hat to a player, staffer, or colleague though. Unlike some other BB wannabes.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

TheBizzness posted:

Good to see the defense is still terrible.

The pressure has been good, but undisciplined, letting QB get yards on foot. THat long sack on 4th down was sweet. I think we're seeing some better coverage,judging by how long Minshew is holding the ball.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Yeah they tightened up pretty much immediately after I said that.

Pretty solid game all around.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I love fitz

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

I might be remembering this wrong, but I swear in Kotite's 2nd year he had some crazy amount of injury issues. Magically Parcells comes in and almost all the injury issues go away. I feel like if your under an rear end in a top hat coach AND losing a ton, you probably find excuses not to play.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Good to see Doug Marrone is still meaningfully employed

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

So I guess the Dolphins are like a middle class team. Hung around with the Bills and Patriots and absolutely demolished the Jags.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Noah getting these reps is fantastic even though they’re getting smoked sometimes with him there. His biggest issue is experience, and I’m a fan of his skillset.

Gotta figure you’re gonna see him get torched a bunch, just have to hope you see flashes of great

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Eric Rowe kind of sucks rear end

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
I actually thought Gailey was a very underrated and good hire for OC.
Fitzpatrick always was a good fit for his schemes and I think when its Tua's turn he can really benefit from him. I've seen Gailey own some pretty good defensive coaches and he deserves to still coach in the league imo.

Overall Flores has done a good job.
The Dolphins have become much tougher and more disciplined. Him choosing to start Fitzpatrick over Rosen was a good decision for the team even if it wasn't popular at the time, because it showed the Dolphins were more interested in competing than tanking like everyone thought they would.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I’m the dolphins DB who made the “incompletion” celebration in front of the ref calling it a completion lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

pasaluki posted:

I actually thought Gailey was a very underrated and good hire for OC.
Fitzpatrick always was a good fit for his schemes and I think when its Tua's turn he can really benefit from him. I've seen Gailey own some pretty good defensive coaches and he deserves to still coach in the league imo.

Overall Flores has done a good job.
The Dolphins have become much tougher and more disciplined. Him choosing to start Fitzpatrick over Rosen was a good decision for the team even if it wasn't popular at the time, because it showed the Dolphins were more interested in competing than tanking like everyone thought they would.

What did they really get that year from starting Fitz over Rosen though? A few meaningless wins?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

mcmagic posted:

What did they really get that year from starting Fitz over Rosen though? A few meaningless wins?

Tua

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mcmagic posted:

No such thing as meaningless wins. I'm not a huge "culture" guy, but you want to play for a coach that isn't just trying not to lose (or actually to lose). Gase is an example of the too scared to try to win, so just plays not to lose and players don't perform up to the highest levels for him.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

mcmagic posted:

They end up getting the player they wanted in the draft anyway and still managed to overachieve based on their roster. Any Dolphins fan on this board will tell you that win against the Patriots to gently caress their season was worth it (especially since they got Tua anyway) and was more impressive by itself than anything the Jets did that whole season.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

If they started Rosen they might have gotten Burrow.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I doubt that.
Miami was a better team than Cincinnati and Washington for sure.

Remember the AFC East played the easiest schedule of all time which was how the Bills fraudulently got into the playoffs?

The good news though is if you think the number one pick for quarterback is so important you are rooting for the right team so far...

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

mcmagic posted:

why would they draft a worse player

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Oddly, as long as Fitz plays like this, the Dolphins have no need to play Tua. Let Fitz get everyone else up to speed, which he seems to be doing, and bring out Tua once playoffs are out of reach.
Then he plays a few low pressure games once everyone’s settled into Gailey’s scheme.

Speaking of Gailey, his offense is pretty good. He seems reasonably flexible schematically, he’s just unreasonably loyal to people.
Like entrusting your defense to Dave Wannstedt in TYOL 2012 when your job is on the line loyal.
Luckily Flores calls the personnel shots, so that particular pitfall can be avoided.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

my review of the dolphins game:

do it against the seahawks

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

fsif posted:

So I guess the Dolphins are like a middle class team. Hung around with the Bills and Patriots and absolutely demolished the Jags.

Which is good. It's about where they should be. I can't remember the last time we blew a team out of a game and stayed on top of them.

That said, they will lose to the Seahawks cause the Seahawks are Real Good and Russ looks MVP like atm

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

tarbrush posted:

Which is good. It's about where they should be. I can't remember the last time we blew a team out of a game and stayed on top of them.

That said, they will lose to the Seahawks cause the Seahawks are Real Good and Russ looks MVP like atm

December 3, 2017

35-9 over the Broncos

until last night that was the last time we won a game by double digits

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Ehud posted:

December 3, 2017

35-9 over the Broncos

until last night that was the last time we won a game by double digits

Three years. loving hell.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
https://twitter.com/SandoNFL/status/1309312177136787456

One of the big things about the scheme the Dolphins have been missing is the ability to sit there and field competent edge rusher in a bunch of different spots other than just edge rusher. I don't love having to use KVN at MLB(vs OLB), but he certainly put in the work blitzing last night. Depth wise they're in a real goofy position, with Shaq Lawson getting OLB(strictly as a rusher), too little depth at DE in general, and KVN being your only clear competent edge rusher and off-the-ball linebacker who isn't undersized.

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 25, 2020

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Metapod posted:

why would they draft a worse player

Meh there is a reason Burrow went 1 and they didn't even have to trade up to get Tua and Burrow already looks great.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

mcmagic posted:

Meh there is a reason Burrow went 1 and they didn't even have to trade up to get Tua and Burrow already looks great.

Are you even watching Tua’s film?

https://youtu.be/5oCYczoI4KI

These are the dumbest videos but the editing and soundtrack crack me up

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Brain Curry posted:

Are you even watching Tua’s film?

https://youtu.be/5oCYczoI4KI

These are the dumbest videos but the editing and soundtrack crack me up

lol

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I liked last night when they were like "fitz says tua asks amazing questions"

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
My favorite part is that he always calls Tua the “left arm of god”

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

pasaluki posted:

I doubt that.
Miami was a better team than Cincinnati and Washington for sure.

Remember the AFC East played the easiest schedule of all time which was how the Bills fraudulently got into the playoffs?

The good news though is if you think the number one pick for quarterback is so important you are rooting for the right team so far...

It's stupid to say that the Jets are 100% going to get the number 1 pick after 2 games.

Nov 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

It's stupid to say that the Jets are 100% going to get the number 1 pick after 2 games.

I'd feel pretty good about their chances. So far they've played like the worst team in football by a country mile and the AFCE has a tough schedule this year.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I'd feel pretty good about their chances. So far they've played like the worst team in football by a country mile and the AFCE has a tough schedule this year.

The Jets looked like the worst team in football through 8 games last year and they won 7 games. This talk is super premature imo.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

eh, last year at this time people were saying the Dolphins were the worst team of all time, so bad that it was actually immoral to have players take the field. then they won 5 games. it's so hard to tell this early on (except for my prediction that the rebuild is a failure unless Tua works out :colbert:)

The Jets have the Colts and Broncos next. Would anyone be surprised if they won one or both of those games?

Nov 6, 2002

The Dolphins were a young team with a completely turned over roster and a new coaching staff. They were expected to be terrible and get better. I really find it hard to believe that this Jets team and this coaching staff is headed in any direction other than getting worse - at least not without some major changes to the person that's calling the shots.

mcmagic posted:

The Jets looked like the worst team in football through 8 games last year and they won 7 games. This talk is super premature imo.

You got a bunch of wins against tomato cans in the back half. The schedule this year is not going to allow that to happen.

I sure as poo poo don't see but 4 wins tops.

Week 1: Sunday, Sept. 13 at Bills (1 P.M., CBS)
Week 2: Sunday, Sept. 20 vs. 49ers (1 P.M., FOX)
Week 3: Sunday, Sept. 27 at Colts (4 P.M., CBS)
Week 4: Thursday, Oct. 1 vs. Broncos (8:20 P.M., NFLN)
Week 5: Sunday, Oct. 11 vs. Cardinals (1 P.M., FOX)
Week 6: Sunday, Oct. 18 at Chargers (4 P.M., CBS)
Week 7: Sunday, Oct. 25 vs. Bills (1 P.M. CBS)
Week 8: Sunday, Nov. 1 at Chiefs (1 P.M. CBS)
Week 9: Monday, Nov. 9 vs. Patriots (8:15 P.M., ESPN)
Week 10: Sunday, Nov. 15 at Dolphins (4 P.M., CBS)
Week 11: BYE
Week 12: Sunday, Nov. 29 vs. Dolphins (1 P.M., CBS)
Week 13: Sunday, Dec. 6 vs. Raiders (1 P.M., CBS)
Week 14: Sunday, Dec. 13 at Seahawks (4 P.M., CBS)
Week 15: Dec. 19 or 20 at Rams (TBD)
Week 16: Dec. 26 or 27 vs. Browns (TBD)
Week 17: Sunday, Jan. 3 at Patriots (1 P.M., CBS)

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Last year we were talking about how the Dolphins might have the worst NFL roster of all time and columnists we're writing huffy pieces about the NFL needing to cut down on such extreme tanking tactics.

Darnold is capable of having an excellent game here and there and the team is missing a lot of players temporarily for injury. The Jets are still the favorite for the #1 pick but I'll always take the field in Week Three.