Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Why the gently caress would you use anything other than nano

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

SCheeseman posted:

Does Nano even have find and replace all. How do your write to a readonly file that you've opened and started editing through nano

How do you install linters or nerdtree to nano.

Do you even hjkl

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Lmfao thus thread is full of people who unironically failed vimtutor

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

brb taking a 12 week course on how to edit a text file

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SCheeseman posted:

Micro is nano but with more modern key bindings and some extra features. Imo anything it can't do is probably involved enough it's worth doing in something that isn't a terminal.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I worked with a guy who did SQL queries and he used linux. He showed me how to search for stuff on linux and my face when he showed me the first table made from | and _ in the terminal was basically :confused:

He tried explaining to me why using linux was much better in the long run but I just thought "hahaha right mouse clock goes brrr" whenever he typed a long rear end comand into the command prompt

In summary Im too dumb to linux

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I switched from Windows 10 to Linux Mint last year and it's mostly fine :)

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I use Windows 10 on my Thinkpad because it's free but my reasoning for using Linux Mint on my iMac is because paying $20 for a Snow Leopard disc or getting a DL DVD-R to burn it onto is just too much effort for me.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I have to hand it to Linux for KVM/QEMU and OVMF. It's loving incredible.

I got tired of switching between my iMac and PC so just installed macos X as a VM in Ubuntu with PCI passthrough. Only took a couple of hours and the performance is buttery smooth and the machine I'm on is way more powerful than the iMac.

I'm now gonna sell my iMac.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah, I've heard of it. It's what all the computer tough guys use

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I could automate some stuff with bash scripts but I'm too lazy to learn how to be more lazy

mgrif
Jun 27, 2005

Bunnee is delightful and haunts my dreams.
Ubuntu caused this girl to drop out of college lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj8p-PEwbI

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Methanar posted:

Does Nano even have find and replace all. How do your write to a readonly file that you've opened and started editing through nano

How do you install linters or nerdtree to nano.

Do you even hjkl

dont know about linters nor nerdtree, but it can do everything else you mentioned here

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

mgrif posted:

Ngl, I lost it when she couldn't get on to the internet because she was trying to run the Verizon setup disc in Ubuntu.

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Posting in the GBS Linux thread. Everyone says use Ubuntu, but be careful or you'll get nbsd in here and he'll do the Ubuntu post. Just thought I'd check in and say I use Arch on my screwing around laptop and it's great.

For non-computer touchers Arch is a linux where they didn't want to give you an installer because they'd rather have you follow a wiki and use the terminal. I guess it breaks in horrible ways since the whole idea of Arch is just dump whatever the devs say is working into the updates list. I've never had this happen, but I guess it can.

It's kind of like getting a lego set, you get the directions and assemble it and you follow them and then you have whatever the set was supposed to be.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i havent seen the shoes man in a while

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

mgrif posted:

big deal Linux made me poo poo myself in front of da boss and then I got fired and persecuted

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

mgrif posted:

Listened to it 3 times until i realized the last guy wasn't saying "what a huge rear end in a top hat" at the very end

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i havent seen the shoes man in a while

the shoe connoisseur was banned and never re-reged

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

moonshine is...... posted:

Everyone says use Ubuntu, but be careful or you'll get nbsd in here and he'll do the Ubuntu post.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

The problem with Ubuntu isn't a matter of taste. It's not that I don't like Unity, or I have bad feelings about Shuttleworth, or that the logo doesn't agree with me. It's much more fundamental: The Ubuntu model for development is broken.

Ubuntu periodically forks Debian's "Unstable" tree (Debian's rolling release). Canonical, inc. works from that snapshot for six months, and then publishes a Ubuntu release.

Inside that Ubuntu release, there is a core of Canonical-supported packages. Canonical accepts bug reports for these packages. These packages receive updates for the supported lifetime of the release. Ubuntu's "core" is supported much the way that Debian or CentOS is.

The problem is that this core is only a fraction of the packages on the system. Ubuntu 14.04, the latest "long term support" release, contains 44378 packages. Only 8751 of them are in the supported part. The rest of the packages go into a separate repository, "Universe."

The packages in Universe, the missing 35 thousand packages, are six months old on release day. They've gone six months without updates or security patches. By the end of the release cycle, they're five and a half years out of date.

--

Shadowhawk will doubtlessly point out that a legion of unpaid, untrained, unorganized volunteers can "maintain" packages in universe. But it's completely optional. Any given package might be untouched (bad), get backported security updates (good), be updated religiously from upstream (really bad), or replaced with something completely different from debian (really, really bad).

There's no release management process. There are no guarantees about what you find in Universe. It's totally up to the kindness of individual strangers.

Universe and Launchpad.net are sources of "works on my machine" issues and security holes. And that is all I have to say about that.

--

Of course, all this peril can be avoided if you don't enable the "Universe" repositories. If you restrict yourself to the core and update repos, you should have no problems. In that case, Ubuntu could be just fine.

Now let's try to use it.

I'd like to build a ruby application.
Whoops. There's no bundler. That was part of Universe.

Python?
Oops. No pypi and no virtualenv. Those are also stuck in Universe.

Java?
Sorry. Maven was also part of Universe.

Perl?
Nope, no mod_perl2.

PHP?
Actually, PHP works fine with only core. All the necessary bits are supported. I can say without any trace of sarcasm that Ubuntu is 100% totally suitable to hosting PHP applications.

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Didn't need to get nbsd. Post is accurate.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I’m tellin ya arch gets a bad rap but the wiki is one of the most goddamn comprehensive things I’ve ever used. Not to mention YouTube/blogs explain every tool and step needed. If people want more of a gui there’s always Manjaro. Pacman owns, I love my hosed up lego distro

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

we need an updated version of this

related:

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

meat police posted:

I’m tellin ya arch gets a bad rap but the wiki is one of the most goddamn comprehensive things I’ve ever used. Not to mention YouTube/blogs explain every tool and step needed. If people want more of a gui there’s always Manjaro. Pacman owns, I love my hosed up lego distro

Extremely same. Manjaro is just Arch but with an installer. It's actually pretty functional too. I had a dual monitor setup with one plugged into the on board graphics, and one plugged into some dumb nvidia card, Manjaro was the only Linux that detected and configured it properly out of the box. Saving me time to solve other linux issues like, why don't I have sound.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Since this thread's around gonna ask: any merit to these dorks freaking out about systemd or is just an ideological thing? I put Artix w/ s6 on an old thinkpad and wasn't exactly blown away by it.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

meat police posted:

Since this thread's around gonna ask: any merit to these dorks freaking out about systemd or is just an ideological thing? I put Artix w/ s6 on an old thinkpad and wasn't exactly blown away by it.

graybeard script janitors worried about their job security because their indecipherable bespoke init scripts can be replaced by 5 line files that don't have bugs and race conditions

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Systemd's tight coupling with other projects (specifically around udev) isn't particularly nice and it has a bad habit of accumulating irrelevant cruft, like a badly made dns resolver and cache.

That said, most of the criticism is just bad. Whenever I hear people talk about how bad systemd is they are wrong; systemd is bad for other reasons.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
systemdeez nuts

is what you call the people driven mad with rage at systemd

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
https://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2019/Jan/39

systemd more like system downs

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

meat police posted:

I complaint I've seen a lot but haven't looked into is that it is difficult to audit it, and its unknown if a malicious dev (:nsa:) slipped in any backdoors.

Void Linux was the most usable non systemd linux with the best name, it's a shame their lead dev, and only keyholder, just disappeared off the face of the Earth one day.

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

meat police posted:

systemd is fine. janitoring init scripts sucks.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Ah thanks everybody. Luckily for me the most top secret project I’m doing is drunkenly playing Deus Ex from 2001 horribly.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Was reading today about how an Ubuntu minimal install is just a full install that proceeds to uninstall the extras, which in turn takes longer than a regular full and I lol'd

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I absolutely love watching Prot talk about emacs on youtube. He's just this super smart dude in Cyprus with the most fake looking beard and sometimes I think that this is just Sasha Baron Cohen's greatest and longest running prank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLjbKuoBlXs

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

mgrif posted:

I never would have seen this if not for the thread resurrection so thank you to all involved.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
If your old (newly-Linuxed) laptops are running hot, consider undervolting the cpu

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

If your old (newly-Linuxed) laptops are running hot, consider undervolting the cpu

also consider uninstalling your OS

systemdeez nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Is it a coincidence the Linux thread gets necroed on Easter? :thunk: