Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I would very much like for the Raiders to build a defense. I know it’s Jon Gruden and he cares about as much for defense as he does for front office staff with previous experience but a dumb bitch like myself stupid enough to root for this garbage can of a franchise can dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Gus Bradley lol

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

a neat cape posted:

Gus Bradley lol

Uncalled for wtf

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Apparently all we need to do is have 2 premier edge rushers, 2 very solid corners and an all-world safety (when healthy) and Bradley will guide us to an above average defense.

Sounds easy enough, why not done?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Black Sunshine posted:

Apparently all we need to do is have 2 premier edge rushers, 2 very solid corners and an all-world safety (when healthy) and Bradley will guide us to an above average defense.

Sounds easy enough, why not done?

I'd be very surprised if the Raiders don't go hard for Melvin Ingram

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

a neat cape posted:

I'd be very surprised if the Raiders don't go hard for Melvin Ingram

Isn't he kinda washed though? Are there better options at edge anywhere?

Gruden will probably overpay someone just to make people shut up about no pass rush but it'll probably be a bad move whatever it ends up being because he's mostly dumb when it comes to defense.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Black Sunshine posted:

Isn't he kinda washed though? Are there better options at edge anywhere?

Gruden will probably overpay someone just to make people shut up about no pass rush but it'll probably be a bad move whatever it ends up being because he's mostly dumb when it comes to defense.

Leonard Floyd is out there, but I imagine he'll be the Chargers top FA target since he was with Staley on the Rams last year

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I’m going to be permamad if the raiders trade for Russell Wilson

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
He seems like an upgrade over Carr imo

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I'd like the raiders to blow 3 first rounders to upgrade their QB, the true problem with their team

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Ostentatious posted:

I’m going to be permamad if the raiders trade for Russell Wilson

I'd be pretty mad as well. All of these bullshit "trade scenarios" never mention that QB isn't the problem. Like SA2K said, trading away a poo poo ton of draft capital for a moderate upgrade at QB would make everyone laugh because the defense is still absolute garbage and now you don't have the picks to improve said defense.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Russell Wilson to the Raiders is the epitome of

“Raiders TD! Chargers win 45-21!” As opposed to “Chargers Win 45-18!” Like yeah he’s a slight upgrade at QB but it doesn’t matter how good the QB is if your defense is the worst in the league. Derek Carr was not the reason the Raiders lost games last year as fun as it is to go “lol carr bad”

It was that sick fuckin Jon Gruden defense

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Wilson is more than a “slight” upgrade over Carr but I agree with your more general point, he might be good for an additional 2/3 Pythagorean wins per season

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

indigi posted:

Wilson is more than a “slight” upgrade over Carr but I agree with your more general point, he might be good for an additional 2/3 Pythagorean wins per season

Carr has gotten mvp votes

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

a neat cape posted:

Carr has gotten mvp votes

this tbh

Russell Wilson’s stats were only slightly better than Carr’s, ergo marginal upgrade.

I wish Russell Wilson the best in his next team not named the Raiders while they build a defense like a sensible franchise would

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
If Russ had spent his entire career with the Raiders and Carr had spent his entire career with the Seahawks, I think it would be pretty broad consensus that Carr was the better QB. He'd probably have a ring and Wilson would be lucky to have made the playoffs more than once.

acidx fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 28, 2021

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

acidx posted:

If Russ had spent his entire career with the Raiders and Carr had spent his entire career with the Seahawks, I think it would be pretty broad consensus that Carr was the better QB. He'd probably have a ring and Wilson would be lucky to have made the playoffs more than once.

lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

acidx posted:

you’re right, I’ve never thought about it like this before

nah
Mar 16, 2009

acidx posted:

More like fraud consensus

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

acidx posted:

You realise Wilson has only survived the last... 5 years by being the most shifty and agile QB, and scrambling on nearly every play at times?

Carr would be in a wheelchair if he played behind that line for a season.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Carr would have at least had a defense that was competent

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

wooger posted:

You realise Wilson has only survived the last... 5 years by being the most shifty and agile QB, and scrambling on nearly every play at times?

Carr would be in a wheelchair if he played behind that line for a season.

We took Tom Cable back from them at least, that could only help.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

If Derek Carr was on the Seahawks he would have a deep playoff run in his resume.

He would also be retired due to being turned to dust

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I swear to freaking God if the only non-geriatric NFC quarterback worth a drat besides Kyler Murray gets traded to the AFC I am going to lose my loving poo poo. We already have all the good young quarterbacks except for Murray, send some to the loving NFC.

Alternatively I'd also be fine if you just sent the Bengals to, say, the NFC East.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Anthony Sherman retired

https://twitter.com/Shermanator_42/status/1367608155883118593

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
He always wore silly things to training camp :rip:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
This sounds harsh but I don’t get how he was on the roster for so long. I get it in the Jamaal Charles days but why roster an unspecial special teamer fullback through 2020

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pron on VHS posted:

This sounds harsh but I don’t get how he was on the roster for so long. I get it in the Jamaal Charles days but why roster an unspecial special teamer fullback through 2020

For what it's worth:

https://twitter.com/PFF_Eric/status/1367615307628634115

Not much really, because even PFF stats aside fullback war is nearly meaningless. I think he was a fine fullback to the end. I also don't think being a fine fullback matters anymore.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Pron on VHS posted:

Hearing rumors that Sherman was planning on coming back but that Reid is shifting the offense to no longer have fullbacks and that was the nail in the coffin. Better late than never, even if you can pull up video of Sherman being responsible for a lot of long runs.

Something has to change with the running game though it sucked this season

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Pron on VHS posted:

Let's not downplay the importance of Anthony Sherman, pride of North Attleboro Massachusetts and star of North Attleboro's Kid's Day celebration.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Fullbacks own.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

fartknocker posted:

Fullbacks own.

One of the redeeming qualities of Gruden is that he's so stuck in the past, he'll always use a fullback more than most teams.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

oh apparently garett bolles not only got an extension but actually had a josh allen-esque level of improvement this past season???

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Doctor Teeth posted:

oh apparently garett bolles not only got an extension but actually had a josh allen-esque level of improvement this past season???
pretty much. for one, he cut down on holding penalties big time

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

It's one of the things that makes the conversation around Drew Lock so bizarre. This time last year Broncos Nation was convinced he was a bust and they needed to use their 1st round pick on a left tackle. Or give all of the money to whoever the best free agent on the market was.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Eifert Posting posted:

I swear to freaking God if the only non-geriatric NFC quarterback worth a drat besides Kyler Murray gets traded to the AFC I am going to lose my loving poo poo. We already have all the good young quarterbacks except for Murray, send some to the loving NFC.

Alternatively I'd also be fine if you just sent the Bengals to, say, the NFC East.

Kyler Murray isn't very good, unless you are talking about fantasy football.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

MrLogan posted:

Kyler Murray isn't very good, unless you are talking about fantasy football.

YOU'RE NOT HELPING.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
For SA2K and other Marty lovers, nice long article here.

https://twitter.com/domcosentino/status/1368225531427237897

The lede is worth quoting in full:

quote:

On Jan. 5, 1998, the morning after the Kansas City Chiefs lost to the Denver Broncos at home in a divisional-round playoff game, Marty Schottenheimer met with a group of reporters to wrap up the season, as he always did. Schottenheimer dutifully answered every question, trying his best to explain the unexplainable, before he asked those present to turn off their recording devices and to close their notebooks.

"What," Schottenheimer asked the gathered press, as Mike Vaccaro of the New York Post recounted years later, "am I doing wrong?"

I think I knew this if I would have thought about it but goddamn:

quote:

1993 AFC Championship Game: Buffalo 31, Kansas City 13 To bolster an offense that kept losing to better QBs, the Chiefs traded for 37-year-old living legend Joe Montana and signed future Hall of Fame running back Marcus Allen in free agency. Both moves paid off. Kansas City won a pair of playoff games - including a road upset of an outstanding Oilers team - before stumbling against the Bills again. Montana suffered a concussion that knocked him out of the game early in the second half when the Chiefs were already down 20-6. Schottenheimer would never win another playoff game.

He had some freaking great teams after that and couldn't get a single playoff win after 1993. There's also some good thoughts in there about quarterback scarcity on his teams. He did coach Brees, Rivers, and Montana. But none of them for any appreciable length of time or in the heart of their careers, and you get to Steve DeBerg looking pretty decent compared to the rest of the guys real quick.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 7, 2021

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Marty owned, and so did this line from the article:

quote:

Washington had just one playoff team in its eight pre-Schottenheimer years; it went 8-8 in his lone season with an awful roster, a tenure that ended because owner Dan Snyder is a nimrod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Marty :unsmith: