Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for August, 2020 (for real this time!)
This poll is closed.
Jon Moxley (AEW Champion) 26 26.53%
:snod: Go Shiozaki (GHC Heavyweight Champion) 21 21.43%
:nallears: Tetsuya Naito (IWGP Champion) 13 13.27%
:nono: Bayley (Smackdown Women's Champion) 11 11.22%
Asuka (Raw Women's Champion) 7 7.14%
:byodame: EVIL (FORMER IWGP Champion) 6 6.12%
:kiddo: Suzu Suzuki (ICEx Champion) 5 5.10%
:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Universal Champion) 4 4.08%
:scotland: Drew McIntyre (WWE Champion) 1 1.02%
:shibe: Eddie Edwards (Impact Champion) 1 1.02%
:wookie: Braun Strowman (FORMER WWE Universal Champion) 0 0%
:yowie: The Fiend (FORMER WWE Universal Champion) 0 0%
Sasha Banks (FORMER Raw Women's Champion) 0 0%
:shudder: None of the Above 3 3.06%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well with a day to go, there's still time for people to get their votes in and make a difference!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I take great comfort in knowing that even if Go was always going to be second place this month (:smith:), at least we got things fixed so it's not to Naito :laffo:

Benne posted:

Even when Naito wins he still loses :lol:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

IMO we shouldn't be included US based champions in the poll while COVID is being handled so poorly. That means go wins by default hell yeah

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Naito was robbed

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

There is still time to Shiozaki Go to the polls

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You can still vote, VOTE! Your vote could make all the difference!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Big Dog Roman Reigns, who held the belt for a day when the poll started, got four times more votes than Braun did over the four months he was a champ option :lmao:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Maybe too soon, but I feel like Mox is going to take September too and he'll basically be a lock for champ of the year.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I don't think any of the Japanese champs will be on the poll next month? Everyone's running tournaments

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well, in spite of me completely loving up the first iteration of this poll this month, we ended up with a winner (who was NOT in that first iteration) for August. It was Jon Moxley, who for the third time this year won FIGHT ISLAND's Champ of the Month. Despite a title reign hobbled by COVID and the empty arena era of pro-wrestling, Moxley's great promos and excellent matches have continued to keep him high in our minds even in spite of one hell of a showing for Go Shiozaki who took a very close second place. This also ends the 3 month streak of female champions, with the highest ranked woman on the poll this month being (the excellent) Bayley coming in 4th place while the leading contender on the first iteration of the poll - Tetsuya Naito - had to settle for third place even after winning back his double titles.

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I blame Naito for this shameful result

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I've only voted for the eventual winner once this whole year (Arisa in June). I'm clearly not in lockstep with the majority of Fight Island :(

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I'm sorry Go, I tried but the inertia of US TV wrestling is hard to overcome :(

September is going to be a hard month for me to choose a champion for with NOAH, AJPW and NJPW focusing on tournaments, DG worrying about the clusterfuck cage match, good month for a joshi Champion to get my vote.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I don't think any of the Japanese champs will be on the poll next month? Everyone's running tournaments

I mean Nagisa Nozaki defended her title day if you wanted to include her...

Other than that Dragon Gate might do a title match I guess; DDT aren't doing a title match until November so not them despite the whole no tournament thing: so its basically Dragon Gate, smaller companies and non-Stardom Joshi promotions at this point. Stardom have a Korakuen Hall show at the end of the month so they might sneak on there if they do Mayu-Syuri or something on that show.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

I mean Nagisa Nozaki defended her title day if you wanted to include her...

Other than that Dragon Gate might do a title match I guess; DDT aren't doing a title match until November so not them despite the whole no tournament thing: so its basically Dragon Gate, smaller companies and non-Stardom Joshi promotions at this point. Stardom have a Korakuen Hall show at the end of the month so they might sneak on there if they do Mayu-Syuri or something on that show.

I don' think DG will, because Eita is involved in the Dangerous Gate 6-way cage match & after that the only live show is from Sambo Hall & I don't see them doing one there. So either the next defence is on the next Korakuen, 7th October, or else it'll be The Gate of Destiny which is November 3rd.

Like, the best men's choice will probably be Ayato Yoshida in 2AW & his next defence is against Kaji Tomato which I don't think will be Shiozaki vs Kenoh levels of awesome. Big Japan's tag tournament started today & Daichi is involved so I doubt we get him defending (plus he defended twice in August & did he even make the poll?) & apparently Minoru Fujita is the Deathmatch Champ now? God, I really need to watch that Last Buntai show.

For Joshi, Sareee vs Yoshiko for the Beyond The Sea title will almost certainly rule. Sendai Girls don't have any title match scheduled. Ice Ribbon have a Korakuen show with Suzuki Suzu vs Tsukushi for the ICEx∞. That's probably the sum of the contenders from Japan.

Standing back & thinking about it, writing a post that involved me doing a tiny bit of research for who might be in a poll on a dead internet forum in a months time is a really silly use of time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Standing back & thinking about it, writing a post that involved me doing a tiny bit of research for who might be in a poll on a dead internet forum in a months time is a really silly use of time.

I appreciate it!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

If the situation ever came up where there were no champions again and I had to suggest a BJW champion to Jerusalem then I'd go with the Deathmatch champion over the Strong champion probably. It has more of a claim to being the top title based on booking (though they are both the champions of their respective divisions)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i think champions competing in a league of singles matches but no title match (which would also include mayu thanks to yokohama's postponent ) shoudl count anyway

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've counted the Champ in the G1 in the past because the tournament has such gigantic impact on the title picture in multiple different ways. I'm not familiar enough with other promotions where similar things might happen to make the call on if they should or shouldn't be included, which is why it is helpful if people argue the case either in thread or via PM.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

How about Go next month? He's competing in the N1 so he's in the exact same situation as Naito and he's probably had more votes this year than anyone outside AEW.

(Personally I'm of the mind that the title should actually be defended tbh)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

How about Go next month? He's competing in the N1 so he's in the exact same situation as Naito and he's probably had more votes this year than anyone outside AEW.

Actually Shiozaki currently is in third place for most votes this year, behind.... Tetsuya Naito! Jon Moxley holds a giant 1st place lead with almost twice the votes of Naito.

If you do the write-up for Go I'll add him in at the appropriate time for the N1, given it seems to be the equivalent of the G1.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Jerusalem posted:

I've counted the Champ in the G1 in the past because the tournament has such gigantic impact on the title picture in multiple different ways. I'm not familiar enough with other promotions where similar things might happen to make the call on if they should or shouldn't be included, which is why it is helpful if people argue the case either in thread or via PM.
:justpost: but as a sister thread to Champion of the Month maybe we could have a Match of the Month with 1-2 nominations from every promotion and maybe 20 max to just highlight some of the most talked about matches of the previous month outside the MOTY thread

If I could stop by a thread and see the top NXT/WWE, AEW, NJPW, STARDOM, DDT, CMLL, AJPW, GCW, Gatoh Move, etc nominated from the previous month in one place with the best way to view them all in one sitting I think it'd be a pretty cool way to expand people's horizons.

It might even be as simple as condensing every MOTY/HM from a promotion for a single month and picking the most nominated match for a company that has multiple matches and then putting up a poll for them. I don't watch hardly any Lucha or UK scene stuff so maybe it'd encourage the people who are in that scene to nominate matches too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Somebody was actually running a match of the month poll based on the MOTY thread for awhile, they stopped at some point though, unfortunately.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Actually Shiozaki currently is in third place for most votes this year, behind.... Tetsuya Naito! Jon Moxley holds a giant 1st place lead with almost twice the votes of Naito.

If you do the write-up for Go I'll add him in at the appropriate time for the N1, given it seems to be the equivalent of the G1.

Sure, he wouldn't be on the poll again until November otherwise I guess cos I'm assuming the N1 winner will challenge at the Yokohama Budokan show.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Somebody was actually running a match of the month poll based on the MOTY thread for awhile, they stopped at some point though, unfortunately.

There was a few month stretch where I'd get 1 or 2 replies to the thread and so I just lost enthusiasm for it.

e: Also the poll always went one of two ways: New Japan or in months without a stellar New Japan match it'd be an NXT one. It'd probably be a lot more interesting in this day and age with AEW around.

e2: I used to put all the HMs and MOTYCs on the polls and I think there may be too many for that to happen nowadays. Whoever wants to pick up the slack feel free to trim the HMs.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 9, 2020

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah with AEW having strong TV matches every week, and puro/joshi more accessible these days, a Match of the Month poll might be more interesting than it was back in the day. Especially with Japan having a million tournaments about to start this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Not gonna lie, still pretty bitter about Nia not winning in April.