Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pierzak posted:

You reminded me of Drakendgard and gently caress you.
Though that game's core loop is masochism I guess.

He did it again in Drakengard 3 but even crueler as there is an invisible hidden, music less note once the screen fades to black and the cutscene pretends to start after 6 minutes of doing this rhythm game and missing it, of course, is an autofail start again.

In Nier Automata he actually figured it out and just made it a brutal (but has checkpoints) shmup that you can if you get stuck ask for help and utterly obliterate. Unfortunately if you aren't able to connect to the SE servers the option for help never comes up so good motherfucking luck future generations playing this in back comparability mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I've never studied math more than high school, and still think Towers of Hanoi puzzles are really easy. They were super common in kid puzzle PC games.

I literally never encountered one until I think KOTOR1. Like it was something completely alien to me, and i had no idea how to solve it. Even today I have zero idea how it works outside of trial and error. Like its basic mechanic is beyond my ability to grasp.

If i ever make a game, the puzzles are all going to be historically based. Put the statues of the Kings of France in the right order, or correctly identify the flag of Poland Lithuania.

Pierzak posted:

I have poor hearing, I'm terrible at them, and I hate them. I want every designer who puts those in their game to do mandatory multi-dimensional puzzles for my amusement.

Yea, tone deaf and can't read music. I could figure out lyrics based puzzles but on the notes themselves, gently caress you.

basically, any puzzle that cannot be solves by contextual clues is bad.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

There is a trick to the Towers puzzle. Once you know it, you have the answer to any Towers puzzle you encounter. There's no variation on the puzzle, it's just asking if you know the trick or not. It's dumb and bad.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I tend to pick up on that stuff eventually, so nowadays even tile sliding puzzles don't give me much grief because I learned how to do them. But even then I fully recognize that they are the absolute nadir of game design.

Also somehow they always, without fail, exist as some insane and impractical locking mechanism on a safe in an otherwise perfectly normal office or something. At least when BioWare stuck Towers of Hanoi into everything you could squint and kinda see how it maps to carefully shuffling reactor bits around to cancel a meltdown or w/e.

The next hump I have yet to get over is peg jumping puzzles. I know the basic logic, but perfectly executing it is still just barely beyond my grasp and also willingness to give a poo poo. Hilariously the last time an adventure game threw one of those at me, when I tried to look up the solution even the video walkthrough hit the skip puzzle button.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Getting the true ending in Chrono Cross. How are you supposed to figure out the song and how to play it during the final battle?

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Yeah, for years I thought I had beaten Chrono Cross and just thought it had a weird, nihilistic ending. Nope, you were supposed to figure out not just to cast magic in a certain order, but to figure the order as well.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Max Coveri posted:

Getting the true ending in Chrono Cross. How are you supposed to figure out the song and how to play it during the final battle?

Heck, I blundered through the game in a foreign language my first time, but I still realized I'd heard those specific chime tones before once I reached that battle. Even though I didn't know the proper sequence right away, there's only one other place in the game you hear that melody, so it seemed pretty intuitive to go back and connect the two.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The strategy guide said it won't spoil the pattern and that it hinted it on other pages. The pattern was listed under the boss AI on the same page and some other person wrote it down before I bought the book. Chrono Cross never stops being terrible.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Chrono Cross outright gives you the color pattern at least twice that I know of (a sequence of flashing crystals or something, and riddles during a bonus boss) but it doesn't point it out as "PAY ATTENTION TO THIS", so it's really easy to just....never pick it up.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Towers of Hanoi? Pfft. Sliding squares? Child's play. Those puzzles where you have to turn on all the lights by throwing a combination of switches? Yawn.

That puzzle in Infocom's Spellbreaker where you have to find the correct cube out of 12 in three "weighings"? ...gently caress you.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Something a little different, but in Daytona USA you could often get off course and reach dead ends. This wasn't very easy to do, and often took deliberate effort, but the courses weren't strictly linear. One of these dead ends had a hidden message telling you that you had lost your sponsor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPEGzXyxdXI

The thing is, this was an arcade game. Once the game was ported to the Saturn I can understand how people would have the time to explore and uncover some of the game's secrets. But as an arcade game that cost at least $1 per play, who would take the time to go off course?

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I found a bit of BS in Final Fantasy 5 last night. To proceed you have to walk in a dungeon square thats a secret pit. Its just no real clue that its there or that anyone would walk into it. Since its just the center square in an area one would think was just some nothing. The devs seemingly expected the players to guess this pit existed via walking over every square in this cave. (For FF players its the dungeon where the Hiryuu grass is needed.)

So far buttons like the skull open doors. I'm guessing you have to get to a blocked off southern cave outside yeah? And maybe the bone piles outside (one of which holds a weird set of armor) or the fixed encounter with a golem has to do with it.

No you have to fall in this pit which will lead you into the bottom area. That switch actually opens up a path outside to a southern cave one would more suspect that lower entrance is from. So your entire game progress could be blocked if you didn't try stepping on every square in this room. That's some bad design right there.

(No clue if any of the remakes fix this flaw. I can't get this far on the ps1 version because that port locks up on almost everything I've tried running it on. I think I might have gotten my launch window ps2 to run it under a select grouping of options maybe. I dunno. So eff it ill emulate the og and can turbo speed trash combats and have youtube playing in a window in portrait mode suck it. The turbo auto mode FF4 on the psp had spoiled me.)

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Presto posted:

That puzzle in Infocom's Spellbreaker where you have to find the correct cube out of 12 in three "weighings"? ...gently caress you.

In the three Zero Escape games, there is precisely one puzzle with an "I give up" button, where the other characters in the room just do it for you. It's that puzzle. The 100 or so other puzzles, you can get hints from the supporting characters, but that's all.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Domus posted:

In the three Zero Escape games, there is precisely one puzzle with an "I give up" button, where the other characters in the room just do it for you. It's that puzzle. The 100 or so other puzzles, you can get hints from the supporting characters, but that's all.

The Zero Escape game puzzles are usually at least pretty straightforward and/or can be figured out with a bit of testing. The one exception that is just absolutely garbage that I can remember is in the kitchen in 999, where you need to do a specific series of actions to get locked into (and subsequently break out of) the walk-in freezer. It all makes sense in retrospect through the lens of Adventure Game Logic, but it is a huge pain in the moment.

Which is the puzzle you can have your teammates solve? I don't remember that.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
It’s in the garden in Virtue’s last reward. There’s a set of scales with a weight puzzle. I think it’s Alice and Luna who will take over after you fail it a few times.

Also, in 999, it isn’t that you have to get stuck in the freezer. You get stuck no matter what. However, if you don’t stop in the middle of panicking about being locked in a freezer and decide it’s the perfect time for a discussion about Ice-9, you cannot get a good ending.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Domus posted:

Also, in 999, it isn’t that you have to get stuck in the freezer. You get stuck no matter what. However, if you don’t stop in the middle of panicking about being locked in a freezer and decide it’s the perfect time for a discussion about Ice-9, you cannot get a good ending.
Oh hey, I remember that. I love that stuff and it makes sense in retrospect (for massively spoilery reasons) but when you're playing this for the first time it definitely looks like pure "throw answer A at option B and see what sticks" early adventure game bullshit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The weighing one is easy to me, but like Im just rekt if you need me to sliding box puzzle a thing.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Barudak posted:

The weighing one is easy to me, but like Im just rekt if you need me to sliding box puzzle a thing.
The weighing one in Spellbreaker is harder because you don't know if the right cube tests "brighter" or "dimmer" than the others (there's a spell you cast that makes them glow). And I think I could figure out the logic if I really thought about it, but about halfway through my brain just stops caring.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

All you need to know to beat the scales puzzle is that you can test three groups of objects per weighing, not just two. That's what every single one of them boils down to

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Pierzak posted:

You reminded me of Drakendgard and gently caress you.
Though that game's core loop is masochism I guess.

*laughs Yoko Taroishly*

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
I've always really enjoyed the Arkham Batman games but I could never understand why those games makes you go off and beat up other villians such as the Joker in order to unlock the required tools to catch up with and defeat the Riddler in order to win the game.:shrug:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theres a puzzle in Kings Quest 1 where you meet Rumplestilskin and he's like you gotta use my true name. The only clue you get is its his name backwards. In the revised version of the game the correct answer is what you think, Nikslitselpmur. In the original game hooboy is it not.

See they don't want his name backwards, they want the alphabet backwards and then spell his name. So A becomes Z and B becomes Y and so on. Theres no other clue and this isn't how the fairy tale goes. It was such an obvious stonewall for players that as mentioned above they just flatout changed the solution to the sensible one.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 15, 2020

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Didn't they also have a spelling mistake in his name in at least one version?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Barudak posted:

Sliding block puzzles, especially ones you cannot reset, are trash.

Operencia, a game released in 2019, has a mandatory 4x4 one of these to progress. I took a single look at it, cracked open the internet, and immediately cheated

I've memorized the solution to the sliding block puzzle in Resident Evil 4 for this very reason (slide the left middle piece into the center, then move the perimeter pieces clockwise until the puzzle is solved)

I have vague memories of playing some Disney adventure/puzzle game on my friend's Genesis as a kid, and the final puzzle was a sliding block puzzle. Huge letdown after working our asses off to get that far.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 15, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pressing H in skifree to go faster so the yeti doesn't eat you.

C-Euro posted:

I've memorized the solution to the sliding block puzzle in Resident Evil 4 for this very reason (slide the left middle piece into the center, then move the perimeter pieces clockwise until the puzzle is solved)

Absolutely the same. Im glad its pathetically easy, but it never resets so good mother flipping luck if you don't solve it right the first time.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Randalor posted:

Didn't they also have a spelling mistake in his name in at least one version?

Yeah, they spelled it “rumpel”. Good news is, you could beat the game without solving that puzzle. Can’t get full points, of course.

I just finished watching SuperGreatFriend’s twelfth anniversary stream, which was a complete run of the Dreamcast game Blue Stinger. Late in the game, you’re trying to reach a woman’s apartment to retrieve her sniper rifle. Her neighbors have locked her out of her room to force her to go to theIr Christmas party. When you open the doors to the party, it’s full of monsters. There’s the standard little sparkles on the floor to indicate where you can pick up some ammo. The entire game, all plot items left somewhere have little sparkles just like that. In this room, and this room only, the water gun you need is hidden, and has no sparkle. You have no way of knowing this. There’s a note in another room about putting the fireplace out at 7pm. Somehow you are supposed to deduce that means there’s a water gun, and that it’s hidden in the party room. In a fake Christmas tree. That you have to jump on the mantle to even access. With no sparkle.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Just remembered that my wife and I did an escape room a year or two ago where one of the puzzles was a 6 x 6 sliding block puzzle and I basically checked out mentally as soon as I saw it lol

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Hank Morgan posted:

I've always really enjoyed the Arkham Batman games but I could never understand why those games makes you go off and beat up other villians such as the Joker in order to unlock the required tools to catch up with and defeat the Riddler in order to win the game.:shrug:

I enjoyed the Riddler puzzles in Asylum and City, but when I finished the story in Knight and saw a map still packed with Riddler icons it was "watch the true ending on YouTube" time.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I enjoyed the Riddler puzzles in Asylum and City, but when I finished the story in Knight and saw a map still packed with Riddler icons it was "watch the true ending on YouTube" time.
Never mind the "true" ending. I ran into a glitch with Arkham Knight where it didn't let me trigger the ending sequence at all without completing all the Riddler crap. I had done everything required for the normal ending, but for some reason the game refused to accept this and just gave me a "go do all the Riddler bullshit" textbox instead of showing the ending.

In hindsight, I should've youtubed that poo poo.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I'm playing through Knight right now, and I'm so pissed at the Riddler that I'm going to do his stupid bullshit out of spite.

You don't get to show up in a suit of power armor and then just hide in the floor from me, dammit.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vandar posted:

I'm playing through Knight right now, and I'm so pissed at the Riddler that I'm going to do his stupid bullshit out of spite.

You don't get to show up in a suit of power armor and then just hide in the floor from me, dammit.

Knight was such a miserable experience to play but the absolute worst thing about it was constantly making the player do stupid poo poo to continue their awful plot. If they want to have things go exactly they way they want, then just have a cut scene. I wound up just quitting the game and not looking back at one of those points.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The Arkham games just seem like they haven't aged well.

I was playing through Asylum, and I got really uncomfortable when it hit me that this game was just about beating up mentally ill people. Like, every criminal profile in the game has a diagnosis. It's kind of a really lovely message, and I just wasn't comfortable with how the game treated mental illness at all.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cemetry Gator posted:

I was playing through Asylum, and I got really uncomfortable when it hit me that this game was just about beating up mentally ill people. Like, every criminal profile in the game has a diagnosis. It's kind of a really lovely message, and I just wasn't comfortable with how the game treated mental illness at all.

Yeah, that's always been the case with the supervillains Batman fights. Either they're mentally ill, mafioso, or both. The grunts are all from a prison breakout though, except for the shockingly offensive feral patients.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

That's Batman in a nutshell, really.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RBA Starblade posted:

except for the shockingly offensive feral patients.

These are what stood out to me on my own recent Asylum replay. Just full blown retrograde gibbering madmen stereotypes.

In general Asylum is noticeably bad in how it paints every last character as completely unsympathetic, including Batman himself, presumably in an attempt to make everything dark and edgy and gritty. Except they also went out of their way to try and nudge things to be more like the animated series. Turns out those two things are not peanut butter and chocolate.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Knight was such a miserable experience to play but the absolute worst thing about it was constantly making the player do stupid poo poo to continue their awful plot. If they want to have things go exactly they way they want, then just have a cut scene. I wound up just quitting the game and not looking back at one of those points.

The part that bugged me most was how Joker was the big bad in Asylum and it was great, had a big role but was offset by other villains in City so still ok, bizarrely became the main villain in Origins when it should have been Bane, and Knight begins with him being turned to ash and he still dominates the story. We get it, Hamill is available, let him sit one of these out dammit.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Best part of Arkham Knight for me was when the game glitched out while I was tediously grinding down the guy with all the drone tanks (Deadshot? Something like that) and he and Batman were randomly catapulted into the sea for Batman to punch him out and stick him in the back of the Batmobile... all while walking on water. It's the only video I've ever saved on my PS4.

All the Riddler challenges, especially the racetracks, could go to hell, though. If it hadn't been for the trick of first-person view making the collision detection vastly more generous (any part of the Batmobile behind the camera ceased to exist as far as the moving obstacles were concerned) I would probably have given up on the game a lot earlier.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Payndz posted:

Best part of Arkham Knight for me was when the game glitched out while I was tediously grinding down the guy with all the drone tanks (Deadshot? Something like that) and he and Batman were randomly catapulted into the sea for Batman to punch him out and stick him in the back of the Batmobile... all while walking on water. It's the only video I've ever saved on my PS4.

Can't say this and not post the video

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The part that bugged me most was how Joker was the big bad in Asylum and it was great, had a big role but was offset by other villains in City so still ok, bizarrely became the main villain in Origins when it should have been Bane, and Knight begins with him being turned to ash and he still dominates the story. We get it, Hamill is available, let him sit one of these out dammit.

Hamill didn’t even play Joker in Origins. It was Troy Baker doing his best Hamill impression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Hamill didn’t even play Joker in Origins. It was Troy Baker doing his best Hamill impression

Really? Didn't know that. That game had oddly good multiplayer.