Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

mila kunis posted:

What's with the hosed up schedule this season, why didn't every team play on the opening weekend?

The Manchesters got the weekend off because of their "deep" cup runs :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Wippersnapper posted:

I’m thinking of taking up watching Premier League as all sports I normally watch are going to have their off-seasons now and I’ve been getting more into the sport after we got the Canadian Premier League. Need some goon advice on which team to cheer for. I want one with nice kits obviously, but mainly a team not boring, that wins sometimes so they won’t be relegated, but not a bandwagon team.

Was leaning towards West Ham because the name has ham in it and because it sounds very British.

Everton would fit the bill for you, having supported them for the last 10 years or so I would say they are great at getting your hopes up and then destroying them mercilessly (source). They have traditionally been the 7th place team that is "better than the rest" although last season they finished 12th and surrendered their plucky underdog card to Leicester and Wolves. This season so far the hype train is at full power, especially with how their new signings looked at Tottenham on Sunday, so most likely we are either going to finally break into the top 6 or succumb to injuries and fall back into a pit of despair before repeating the process next year. They also have the best kits according to a lovely article I read. Injuries are the biggest worry since the squad lacks depth but as long as James Rodriguez stays fit and Richarlison remembers how to finish goals then it will surely be an entertaining season.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

fat gay nonce posted:

Everyone who subscribes to the athletic is hosed in the head so take it with a pinch of salt

wow, oof thats a yikes from me with the ableism in this post

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

greazeball posted:

The Manchesters got the weekend off because of their "deep" cup runs :laugh:

Yeah we should also have had the foresight to crash out hilariously in March

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Bundy posted:

Yeah we should also have had the foresight to crash out hilariously in March

You did that in the premier league by January.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Spuckuk posted:

You did that in the premier league by January.

Mid November.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Wippersnapper posted:

I’m thinking of taking up watching Premier League as all sports I normally watch are going to have their off-seasons now and I’ve been getting more into the sport after we got the Canadian Premier League. Need some goon advice on which team to cheer for. I want one with nice kits obviously, but mainly a team not boring, that wins sometimes so they won’t be relegated, but not a bandwagon team.

Was leaning towards West Ham because the name has ham in it and because it sounds very British.

You're going to get called names regardless of which team you pick. So might as well pick a good one. Like Liverpool.

Depending on what other sports you like you can also use that to determine who to support. Man City have a partnership with the Yankees to run NYC FC & Liverpool are owned by the same group that owns the Red Sox, for instance.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

habeasdorkus posted:

You're going to get called names regardless of which team you pick. So might as well pick a good one. Like Liverpool.

Depending on what other sports you like you can also use that to determine who to support. Man City have a partnership with the Yankees to run NYC FC & Liverpool are owned by the same group that owns the Red Sox, for instance.

Support a holding company/financial group?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I guess I'm gonna order some red socks and post in the baseball forum.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
In sadder news

Macclesfield Town FC wound up in High Court over debts exceeding £500,000 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54177582

Suspect they'll be the first of a few

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I guess I'm gonna order some red socks and post in the baseball forum.

As good/bad a reason as any.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

tarbrush posted:

In sadder news

Macclesfield Town FC wound up in High Court over debts exceeding £500,000 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54177582

Suspect they'll be the first of a few

Or "Less than 1 week of Gareth Bales wages"

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The Saudi oil masters are missing a real trick. Why spent £300m buying one club in one league when you could keep grassroots football going by buying 600 clubs at all different levels in the hopes that one of them makes some money? I thought diversifying your portfolio was something that big money people love to do, cant get more diverse than buying and owning the entire Isthmian League

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Hmm I'm Mr Aramco the football sheikh do I want to fork out 70 million quid on whoevers on the front of FIFA this year to shut the fans up, or 11 quid on some guy who had a trial at Liverpool once which everyone will be made up with

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

The only idea worse than arbitrarily deciding to support a team you have no connection to before you ever even see them play is deciding to support them based on the loving owner.

If you like watching football, watch some football. You will naturally favour one team over the others very quickly.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Bale to Tottenham let’s go baby believe the dream.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm late to the Spurs tv show but Dele Alli asking about brushing his teeth is comedy gold.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

sassassin posted:

I'm late to the Spurs tv show but Dele Alli asking about brushing his teeth is comedy gold.

same, also him and his chocolate bar ranking bit are great

he's right about the toothbrush/paste sry

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Karl Sharks posted:

He is right, the look he gave the physio telling him it's the other way around cracked me up.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Leicester gotta play Arsenal followed by (almost certainly) liverpool in the carabao this year just to reach the quarters lmao.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

sassassin posted:

Wait until you get to the bit about his quarantine cooking efforts

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Karl Sharks posted:

Wait, how does he rank them? This is important.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

habeasdorkus posted:

they were all brit bars and i'm american so the names basically went in one ear and out the other, sry m8

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

habeasdorkus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Huqgq_n6Bjc

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

i def have a newfound respect for dele, he has his opinions on things and sticks to them

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'd put Crunchie at #1, but a legit trio.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
1. yorkie
2. lion
3. milkybar

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Double decker is up there n all

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Double Decker and Snickers.

Also plain Dairy Milk

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Cadbury Fruit & Nut
Galaxy Fruit & Nut
Wispa

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Snickers
Boost
Twirl

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Wispa
Maltesers
Toblerone

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Absolute loving state of these rankings so far

1) Toffee Crisp
2) Twirl
3) Snickers

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Kit Kat Chunky
Toffee Crisp
Bueno

Now for something a bit more controversial...

What are people's opinions on this:

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
PWM is back in the football threads baby, you love to see it

milkybar wtf m8

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Absolute loving state of these rankings so far

1) Toffee Crisp
2) Twirl
3) Snickers

Toffee Crisp is good shout.

Twirls suck, they are like 1 step above flakes. Which should only be eaten with a 99 ice cream

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

an_mutt posted:

Wispa
Maltesers
Toblerone

Fair shout.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Mickolution posted:

Kit Kat Chunky
Toffee Crisp
Bueno

Now for something a bit more controversial...

What are people's opinions on this:

I like them but I can easily understand why people might not

Also...
Lion
Mars
Double Decker

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

an_mutt posted:

Toblerone
Is that you, Alan?