Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Possibly against their better judgment, the NFL is moving ahead with the 2020 season. Who knows what this season will look like or if it even should happen, but we're doing this thing apparently. So we may as well talk about football while we're still here.

2019 was a good year for the Best Division, which sent two playoff teams and represented the NFC in the Super Bowl. With no coaching or QB changes in the offseason, things are pretty stable across the board and this figures to be one of the deepest divisions in football.

Arizona Cardinals

2019 record: 5-10-1
Vegas win over/under: 7.5
Head coach: Kliff Kingsbury
Starting QB: Kyler Murray

The first year of the Kliffy/Kyler experiment was mostly a mixed bag, though Murray showed flashes of brilliance and figures to take a big step forward this year. It helps that they stole DeAndre Hopkins from the Texans in the most absurdly one-sided trade in recent memory, pairing up with Fitz and Christian Kirk in a suddenly deep WR corps. The Cards are a trendy darkhorse team this year, but the defense and O-line need major improvements if they're going to reach the playoffs.

Los Angeles Rams

2019 record: 9-7
Vegas win over/under: 9
Head coach: Sean McVay
Starting QB: Jared Goff

Two years ago, the Rams were a national sensation and McVay was the toast of the analytical world. Too bad their QB kinda stinks after all. This team honestly wasn't bad last year (in fact, they're a couple of flukey plays and missed FGs away from a Wild Card spot), but the shine is off, thanks to a porous offensive line that exposed Goff's worst habits and Todd Gurley's knees slowly turning to ash. Gurley has since been shipped to Atlanta and McVay, somewhat surprisingly, let go of respected defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. This is a hard team to peg for 2020, but a 9-win over/under feels about right.

San Francisco 49ers

2019 record: 13-3
Vegas win over/under: 10.5
Head coach: Kyle Shanahan
Starting QB: Jimmy Garoppolo

Finally healthy and playing the first full season of his career, Jimmy G took the league by storm by *checks notes* handing the ball off and letting Shanny's scheme do the rest. Now that's not entirely fair to our boy, but the 49ers undoubtedly found a winning formula with a multifaceted running attack and shifty YAC threats in the passing game. Coupled with one of the best front sevens in football, the Niners ran all the way to the Super Bowl and had a 10-point lead before Atlanta Falcons Kyle Shanahan logged on. With a few minor changes, they're mostly running it back this season and are favorites to repeat as division champs. I hated typing that.

Seattle Seahawks

2019 record: 11-5
Vegas win over/under: 9
Head coach: Pete Carroll
Starting QB: Russell Wilson

Pete's obsession with conservative offenses has reached self-parody levels in recent years. Despite Russ playing the best football of his career, the Seahawks are doggedly committed to handing off on first down and not opening up the playbook until they're down double digits.. Despite that counter-productive style, Seattle kept winning games -- they started 10-2 and were literal inches away from sweeping the 49ers and stealing the division. In the offseason, they bolstered the secondary with the additions of Jamal Adams and Quinton Dunbar, who was caught in an armed robbery scandal but eventually cleared to play after his charges were dropped (I still think he paid off the witnesses to change their story, but whatever). So yeah, this team is just committed to be weird at all times. I expect 10-6 and another early playoff exit for it.

https://twitter.com/bykevinclark/status/1194116141280460800?lang=en

Division titles

49ers -- 20
Rams -- 17
Seahawks -- 8
Cardinals -- 3

Super Bowl appearances (winning years in bold)

49ers -- 7 (1981, 1984, 1988, 1989, 1994, 2012, 2019)
Rams -- 4 (1979, 1999, 2001, 2018)
Seahawks -- 3 (2005, 2013, 2014)
Cardinals -- 1 (2008)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Let's start the new thread off on a strong note

https://twitter.com/GrrrGraphics/status/1300965149818273793

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Karens, best known for their militant pro-BLM views

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
may this thread be blessed with unliiiiiiiiiimited runs

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
Let Russ cook.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

madsushi posted:

Let Russ cook.

yeah, cook some spaghetti!!!!

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

Magicpants posted:

yeah, cook some spaghetti!!!!

lololololo f---ing owned

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Jimmy G is the most handsomest to ever hand the ball off and therefore is the best at this division.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
All praise the Run and their prophet the Seattle Football Seahawks inshallah

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

On this page 1, we give thanks to Frank Gore and Marshawn Lynch for blessing us with another season to establish the run.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

TheBacon posted:

Jimmy G is the most handsomest to ever hand the ball off and therefore is the best at this division.

Maybe I’m giving away too much here but Bobby Wagner is also very handsome.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Praise the Run forever and ever, Amen. May it be established in our hearts, even if it may never be established in this fallen world.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Someone made one of these for Frank Gore last season, but I never got around to making one for Lynch.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bob Socko posted:

Someone made one of these for Frank Gore last season, but I never got around to making one for Lynch.

I'm impressed with the work you were able to do heating and forming all those Skittles.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Frank Gore was not the hero we deserved in the dark times, but the hero we needed.

All grace to Gore, may he run forever.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Mustached Demon posted:

I'm impressed with the work you were able to do heating and forming all those Skittles.
Now that I’m done with grad school, maybe I’ll make a version out of a shitload of skittles?

I kinda want to do this now.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Bob Socko posted:

Hell yeah

For reference this is the one I made for Frank Gore

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I'm pretty sure a medieval monk made that for Gore's rookie year

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

:hawksin:

https://twitter.com/nfl/status/1301542283574116352?s=21

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Well he has to get reinstated first, so...

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

seiferguy posted:

Well he has to get reinstated first, so...
Supposedly it's a done deal, just went through this morning?

Edit - no, I'm wrong, misread a tweet. Sorry everyone, false alarm!

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 3, 2020

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Honestly rooting for him, I really hope he's able to succeed.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
According to Greg Bell, his agent says he's reinstated.
https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1301548699533807616

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Had a terrible dream last night that the Niners had lost a Super Bowl to the Patriots. Thank heavens we don't live in that reality.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Seahawks WR Corp looks shockingly good now. Two great WRs at the top and then a handful of promising lottery ticket WRs competing for the remaining WR positions.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

TheBacon posted:

Honestly rooting for him, I really hope he's able to succeed.
Addiction is a hell of a thing. You can be as rich, successful, or whatever as you want, and it still gnaws at you. It's a thought that can't be chased away, unless you smother it with what you're addicted to. Awful stuff. Hopefully with the positive environment and legal weed laws around here, he can find a balance where he can be functional and succeed.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

shirts and skins posted:

According to Greg Bell, his agent says he's reinstated.
https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1301548699533807616

I'd be surprised if the Seahawks signed him without having a good idea that he'll be reinstated.

Mustached Demon posted:

On this page 1, we give thanks to Frank Gore and Marshawn Lynch for blessing us with another season to establish the run.

Amen

:schotty:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/joerexrode/status/1301521756029681664

:thunk:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

I believe I said in N/V, I've kind of given up on signing Clowney, but if the Hawks can land him that defense will have serious teeth.

Even without him I feel a lot better about the defense this year. It seems like the personnel mix is much closer to what Carroll is comfortable with. The team stayed in base so much last year because they didn't have enough safety/CB talent, especially at the nickel position. Marquise Blair has been getting a lot of hype at nickel and if he's the answer I think the D will gel nicely.

The Brooks LB pick was lambasted at the time but he's apparently fast as hell and will be tasked with helping to sniff out lateral plays and the like. Being able to learn from Wagner and KJ must be a treat. Very curious to see how he develops.

Not many pass rush bodies on the D line, but a vastly improved secondary and a healthier Jarran Reed may make things easier up front. We'll see (for a week weeks, at least?). They start @ATL so it's not like things start out easy.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

shirts and skins posted:

I believe I said in N/V, I've kind of given up on signing Clowney, but if the Hawks can land him that defense will have serious teeth.

Even without him I feel a lot better about the defense this year. It seems like the personnel mix is much closer to what Carroll is comfortable with. The team stayed in base so much last year because they didn't have enough safety/CB talent, especially at the nickel position. Marquise Blair has been getting a lot of hype at nickel and if he's the answer I think the D will gel nicely.

The Brooks LB pick was lambasted at the time but he's apparently fast as hell and will be tasked with helping to sniff out lateral plays and the like. Being able to learn from Wagner and KJ must be a treat. Very curious to see how he develops.

Not many pass rush bodies on the D line, but a vastly improved secondary and a healthier Jarran Reed may make things easier up front. We'll see (for a week weeks, at least?). They start @ATL so it's not like things start out easy.

Benson Mayowa will hopefully be a good rotational DE, and his highlight film looks good. He's not Clowney-esque but nonetheless seems solid.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mustached Demon posted:

:amen:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Can't wait for the Cards to wrap up winning the division by week 4 when the league shuts down cause an entire team got COVID.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
RIP to a 49ers legend

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1301607980509663234

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Lol Tavon Austin in 2020

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

That's the third 49ers wr hurt in... 2 weeks? What are they doing over there

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Luke Willson rules.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/mrbillyvegas/status/1301565980418637824?s=21

Seattle Seahacks

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

hifi posted:

Signing guys like jj nelson and tavon austin as camp bodies

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

jj nelson is good though. i assume sherman put a hit out for the time he completely pantsed him and the rest of the seattle "all stars" back in 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

hifi posted:

Run blocking I assume.