Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Match of the Night
This poll is closed.
Chuck and the other guy vs Proud n Powerful 19 16.38%
A Boy, His Dinosaur and their bad friend coworkers vs SCU and Private Party 20 17.24%
Thunder Rosa vs Serena Deeb 71 61.21%
Moxley vs The Lawyer 6 5.17%
Total: 116 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I enjoyed the brawl but it was a little too much for a segment meant to build up the battle royal. One of the best things you can do in a battle royal is build up to confrontations that never happen normally, and especially in the cases of things like Archer/Cage, Fenix/Starks, Archer/Butcher, Cage/Kingston, etc they wasted a lot of that by basically having the battle royal on TV. It seemed unexpectedly short sighted for Tony.

It'll still be a fun match but I feel like they gave a bit too much away here. If it results in a great rating though, I'll be happy to be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Aye Doc posted:

there are a bunch of minor things i would like to change about AEW but none of them really affect my enjoyment of the product. there is however one major thing, one incomprehensibly huge deal, that needs changed asap - please have someone besides JR throw it to the PiP commercials. he sounds like the world's worst, least enthusiastic southern robot when he does it

Yeah I can forgive minor booking things like the battle royal and stuff (though the booking and placement of the women is still an issue for me) because most of it feeds into the chaotic feel of the show, in a good way. What I don't like is some of the technical and presentation issues they still seem to have. And for the above, if a seasoned TV veteran like JR can't throw to a commercial properly he shouldn't be on the commentary team full-time.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

I have an incredibly important question: Where can I get the trousers Orange Cassidy wears? Because they look comfy... AF

I don't know if they're the exact ones he has but I have some drawstring soft pants from Uniqlo that look like jeans are basically the same, but are less fitted around the ankles.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

WOW. Good for them, hopefully it means a nice number for All Out and maybe they can break a million unopposed next week.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

A dumb question that I've almost certainly asked before: does B/R live give you unlimited replays of the event like FITE does? Because it's $49.99 on BR and $54.99 on FITE.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Seems so. I watched Revolution a few times, and have gone back to stadium stampede a few times too

Thanks! Is there any difference in stream quality?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I guess I'm in the minority that I feel like I got at least $50 worth out of that show. I liked the FTR/Hangmega and the mimosa match a heck of a lot (I'd put both solidly in the 4* range) and outside of the Hardy stuff, I enjoyed everything else. That Shida/Rosa match was worth close to the cost of the show by itself, and was what I've been dying for AEW to deliver from their women's division for some time.

It's certainly not their strongest outing, but by no means do I regret paying for the show.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MJeff posted:

I was on the fence on whether or not I'd gotten my money's worth going into the main event and then I loving loved the main event, so I felt like I got my :20bux::20bux::10bux:, if just barely. It's just a little nyeeeeh because every other AEW PPV felt like a total steal at 50 bucks and this one...just a little on the fence about it. It was an up and down show and looking back, I'm just fussy about two things:

- I don't like the tag team title change. I think FTR have been a total misfire and they have shown, resoundingly that they are not still the guys who put on those great matches in NXT. Normally, I think the "weehh pushin' ex-WWE guys" thing is just not a thing in AEW, because all the guys they've pushed have excelled, but FTR are being pushed on their pedigree from when there were in WWE and they are not measuring up to it and now the best thing the company had going is over because of it. And if this was just the time to split Hangman and Kenny and FTR was just the team to be the inciting incident, that's fine, why not put Dark Order in that spot? Uno and Grayson have been working their asses off for months now, having great matches, getting this stable over and they have MORE than earned a run with the titles in my opinion. But whatever. Just do Bucks vs. FTR at Full Gear, get the buys from it and then send these guys to the wood chipper. I'm done with 'em.

- Mimosa Mayhem wound up being a total misfire with me. It was just...so...dumb. Imagine if this had been a loving cage match. Or a 2/3 falls match. Just some kind of real stipulation that let these guys go balls to the wall and try their hardest to beat the living piss out of each other. Jericho falling into a pool of orange juice is funny, but, like. Boy did I just not care about the match up to that point. I just wanted a drat cage match so drat bad. :sigh:

I guess I can't disagree more on the FTR match and the Mimosa match. I've actually never been huge on FTR, even in NXT, but this performance worked for me, though that's largely on the excellent storytelling that Page and Kenny were doing. At every point, it felt like FTR had their number and it came off as just a perfect tag team wrestling match for me, with Hangman and Kenny barely keeping it together until the wheels came off at the end. I kind of agree they there are other teams I'd rather see with the titles than FTR, but this match needed to have high stakes to sell the importance of the story.

The Mimosa match was the exact right amount of dumb/serious for me. It's the perfect transition for OC to move from a comedy character to more serious programs. Like, at no point could you have expected that match to be anything but ridiculous based on the premise, but both guys took it seriously and had a pretty great match, I thought. They got me invested in the 'floor is lava' kinds of spots around the pool, and the finish absolutely worked for me (though I think Jericho could have sold it a bit better). I thought it delivered exactly what they promised, and then some. There's always room for a more 'serious' match between the two down the line though, and I think OC is ready for that kind of program now, and won't be expected to do his lazy spots in every match.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't want to get into whataboutism or anything but the Hardy thing isn't half as upsetting to me as that match where Charlotte beat the poo poo out of a concussed Kairi for like 15 minutes in that tag match last year. It only seems as bad or worse because we expect a lot better from AEW and I think/hope that they've absorbed the criticism they've gotten from it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

They just need one more piece of the puzzle and we could have Hobbs n' Cobb tearing up the tag division.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Nah. Sign Calvin Tankman and have a team called Calvin and Hobbs.

I'll second that as long as it comes with a six-month BTE mystery about which one is imaginary.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Am I remembering correctly that a legit injury to Matt in TNA was the catalyst for the Broken gimmick in the first place?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Please tell me someone screenshotted Snowden's tweet.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

They need to give Tony Tomato's very catchy theme song to someone better. It's such a bop but I don't want to have to see this dude in order to hear it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ganso Bomb posted:

True, but Dynamite last week was kind of a stinker so they may be feeling the need to boost the cards to wash off that stink.

Wasn't last week's episode one of the highest-rated episodes they've ever had?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

I kinda hope Angelico wins. I feel like Cassidy needs to be given reasons to care about a feud or a fight, he can't really just go out there and do squash matches.

I don't know if Angelico needs to win per se, he's a tag team act and shouldn't be beating a pushed singles act in a straight-ahead match. A competitive match, though, that I'd be down for. OC shouldn't be squashing anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

karmicknight posted:

Counterpoint: Angelico owns actually.

I don't disagree with this, but if they want to establish him as a singles act he should get some more wins on Dynamite before they go and put him over a dude they seem to want to push in OC. The logical thing, to me, though is to use this to give TH2 an actual story and feud against Best Friends or literally any team.