Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you primarily watch movies?!
In Theaters Only
On my home TV
On my phone
Peeping through my neighbor's window!
View Results

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Hi BYOB. I didn't see any sort of film, theater, motion picture megathread floating so I decided to try and cook my own. In the spirit of :justpost:.

You can drop movies you love, hate, can't wait for, etc. I'll also take movie podcast and website discussion. You can view my inconsistently used Letterboxd here: https://letterboxd.com/Rioden/

In the spirit of BYOB we will try to keep politics light and keep discussion airy. I know we have a couple good movie places in the greater SA forums but they move kind of quick for me. Plus I like you guys a bunch and want to get to bond over film!

I want to see TENET real bad because I like John David Washington and even a bad Nolan film is still a good watch. But theaters seem like death traps in this age of 'demic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts

Oh, nice! I'm a huge movie person, I watch pretty much everything that comes out in theaters and also watch a ton at home. Usually in a theater like once to thrice a week, sometimes more, but most often I run out of new movies to watch too fast and I have to go back watching at home, too.

I saw Tenet already of course and uhhhm yeah I mean it's Nolan and 300 million dollar budget, but I'm not a huge fan either way. It's cool, a solid movie, but not nearly as smart as it wants to be if you ask me. Actors however are great and it's a fun concept.
The Climb is also a fun movie, not entirely my cup of tea thematically but it's definitely very good and the cinematography is stunningly good, as they went for quick shots in one shots a lot and really create a flow of pictures that suck you in.
An extremely good movie, one of my favorites this year, is Persian Lessons, which will start regularly at the end of September but which I could watch at the premiere in Berlin in February already. It's a German movie about a jew during WWII, not at all chill, but really really nicely done.

Apart from that this year has been kind of a letdown in terms of movies for obvious reasons, but I hope the end of the year gets us some gems that were postponed and next year we get an army of excellent new movies.

Zurtilik

Goons Are Great posted:

Oh, nice! I'm a huge movie person, I watch pretty much everything that comes out in theaters and also watch a ton at home. Usually in a theater like once to thrice a week, sometimes more, but most often I run out of new movies to watch too fast and I have to go back watching at home, too.

I saw Tenet already of course and uhhhm yeah I mean it's Nolan and 300 million dollar budget, but I'm not a huge fan either way. It's cool, a solid movie, but not nearly as smart as it wants to be if you ask me. Actors however are great and it's a fun concept.
The Climb is also a fun movie, not entirely my cup of tea thematically but it's definitely very good and the cinematography is stunningly good, as they went for quick shots in one shots a lot and really create a flow of pictures that suck you in.
An extremely good movie, one of my favorites this year, is Persian Lessons, which will start regularly at the end of September but which I could watch at the premiere in Berlin in February already. It's a German movie about a jew during WWII, not at all chill, but really really nicely done.

Apart from that this year has been kind of a letdown in terms of movies for obvious reasons, but I hope the end of the year gets us some gems that were postponed and next year we get an army of excellent new movies.

Ah, jeez. Yeah I'm way behind on anything 'new'. I'm pretty sure the only 2020 film I've seen this year since March was Trolls: World Tour because of the kids and even that was streamed.

I miss the theater experience. Some theaters were playing older films and so the wife and I saw The Mummy (1999) in a theater with only one other person.

I don't think I'd feel comfortable going to see something like Tenet where I imagine there'd be at least a couple dozen other people.

It's a weird year for film and I worry a bit about the theater chains and if they'll make it. Especially if these 'demic measures are still going strong into next year.

nut

I don’t watch a lot of movies but I like Swiss Army Man even though the rest of my family did not like it

Zurtilik

nut posted:

I don’t watch a lot of movies but I like Swiss Army Man even though the rest of my family did not like it

Oh man, I kind of forgot about that one. I should give it a watch one day.

Evil Bob

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
I usually watch about a movie a week on my couch, and I go to the theater for movies I'm very excited about that I feel benefit most from the "theater experience."

I think the last film I saw in the theater was IT 2. I went alone at night to one of those theaters with reclining chairs. I got v v high before going in and thoroughly enjoyed myself... However a guy sat down next to me and reclined his chair, took off his shoes (no socks) and rested one foot on his propped up knee no more than 3 feet from my face.

I had to tell him 3 times that his feet stank before he finally put his drat shoes back on. and they did stink. If his feet werent smelly from being in fuckin shoes with no socks all day I wouldnt have cared, but have some drat courtesy, I didn't come to the theater to smell your feet dude.

Aside from that I thoroughly enjoyed myself and the movie was great.

Oh thats a lie I went and saw the last skywalker with my fam over xmas.

thats my story op

Goons Are Gifts

Taking off your shoes in a cinema is a capital crime and punishable by terrible movie nights where I'm from

Evil Bob

Last weekend we watched "Vibes" with Jeff Goldblum and Cindi Lauper (1988) I can't remember how I got turned on to it, but I felt like it was a must watch just because it seemed "of its time" and "cult." Goldblum was as goldblum as ever, cindi laupers character was pretty terribly written. A movie i'm happy to have seen, but not as essential as I was hoping.

Prof. Crocodile

i am horribly behind on movies. the last three movies i saw were jojo rabbit (theatre), a beautiful day in the neighborhood (theatre), and uncut gems (home). going to finally watch parasite this weekend tho, and i am paraexcited.

Zurtilik

I'm watching The Village.

M. Night is p. cool.

Zurtilik

Any of you needs listen to podcasts or check out somewhere else for you film news?

I listen to Blank Check and We Hate Movies.

I only listen to the opinion of New Yorkers.

Goons Are Gifts

I watch everything at random the second the title sounds remotely interesting and the only guidance I accept is the percent ratio of positive reviews on rotten tomatoes. After seeing the movie, that is.

alnilam

the latest movie i watched is i finally got around to The LLighthouse, which i had been excited about because the director's previous and first film, The VVitch, is one of my favorite films of its decade

it was good! willem dafoe never disappoints lol

ty manifisto

Khanstant
I loved the VVitch. I kind of skipped around the lighthouse, just aint been in that dark of a mood to really experience it right.plus it pisses off my moviephile friend.

cool movie i been thinking bout lately is The Platform. My DM introduced it to us pre-Q times in our campaign, without us knowing it, we essentially recreated a part of that movie adapted DnD dungeon style.

Anyway, it's a really cool movie especially if you love media about how capitalism is hosed up. My elevator pitch (hah) for this movie is that its a future mega-prison vertical complex. Each floor has two people on it and in the middle a platfrom floats fropm the top, all the way to the bottom, then shoots right back to the top. On the platform is food, the platform stops for 2 minutes and thats all the time you have to eat. Can't save food, they kill u if u try.

Cool movie, hope u check it out.

funny alternate ending idea: they successfully protect the pana cotta all the way down, dont find the child or get killed, and they send the panna cotta up as "the message" and the chefs up top just take it to mean ppl freaking hate that panna cotta and the cook responsible is fired and they stop making that dish, everything else the same lol

nut

I want to watch some of these movies I loved the VVitch as much as both of my friends I went with hated it

Robot Made of Meat

I have bizarrely specific ideas about entertainment, and pretty much hate all movies as a general rule. Particularly "new" ones (made in the last several decades). It's not "film snob" type stuff, but I just have a lot of things that I don't enjoy, so it leaves little that I do.

But that doesn't mean I only like "good" movies. I really enjoy some bad ones.

OK where am I going? Dunno.

But I do know that Vamp is the best movie ever made. And oddly enough Keith Haring just came up in today's Welcome, Hello, and Chat thread.

I also like Willy Wonka, Clue!, and The Maltese Falcon.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Zurtilik

Sorry Clue! is too new, you just lost your snob cred.

Prof. Crocodile

Robot Made of Meat posted:

But I do know that Vamp is the best movie ever made. And oddly enough Keith Haring just came up in today's Welcome, Hello, and Chat thread.

I also like Willy Wonka, Clue!, and The Maltese Falcon.

Zurtilik posted:

Sorry Clue! is too new, you just lost your snob cred.

these are all great movies rmom, but z is right. if you want snob cred you need to cite 'murder by death', the film upon which clue! was based. :wotwot:

Robot Made of Meat

Prof. Crocodile posted:

these are all great movies rmom, but z is right. if you want snob cred you need to cite 'murder by death', the film upon which clue! was based. :wotwot:

Oh yes! Murder by Death and The Cheap Detective are definitely on my top 10!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Zurtilik

A Criterion Channel cruiser.

Riotgrrill

Prof. Crocodile posted:

i am horribly behind on movies. the last three movies i saw were jojo rabbit (theatre), a beautiful day in the neighborhood (theatre), and uncut gems (home). going to finally watch parasite this weekend tho, and i am paraexcited.

watch memories of murder as well, it's as good as parasite imo

Goons Are Gifts

I can highly recommend the movie "I Am Mother" straight outta 2019 if you haven't watched it yet. The other day I saw a rescreen at a local theater and figured it's also on Amazon Prime. It's an apocalyptic scenario where earth has been largely destroyed by multiple wars and plagues, but in one secure fallout-like vault there is a single AI being activated to artificially give birth to a new girl and raise her to adulthood, while learning to be a good human-like mother in the process and in the end, hopefully repopulate earth using the many stored embryos in the facility and her growing experience as an AI mom.

It's very good and exciting, the AI robot, displayed by an actor in a very cool suit with some effects on top of it, shows a wild mixture of passion, love and heart warming behavior, as well as the cold calculating and sometimes strict rule you'd expect from an AI, which results in a weird feeling. The daughter is played by Clara Rugaard and she's excellent in her role and shows true emotions towards a robot that in no way looks like a human, and she portrays this complicated relationship between a machine and a human really really well. It's not full of action or anything, as the movie is not about the apocalypse or even the raising of a baby via a machine, but it's entirely dedicated to the emotions that would surround such a scenario, in conjunction with us questioning the ability of an AI to show emotions. The adolescent daughter shows both intelligence and understanding for her AI mother, as well as the typical rebellious behavior and curiosity she of course has.
With a grand ensemble of only three adult actors (a few children to portray the process of growing up) plus the AI's voice they also had some budget for really good effects and showing us a blade runner-like devastated world, which is super drat cool.

Also, in the vault there's a room in the background with the number 69 printed on it, which I only noticed on the second watch, so if this isn't funny as gently caress I don't know what is

Prof. Crocodile

Riotgrrill posted:

watch memories of murder as well, it's as good as parasite imo

hmm... adding this to the queue...

Mekchu

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i watched mulan op, i have so many questions.

bill & ted 3 was pretty fun tho

Zurtilik

Mulan seems like it's going to be a mess both in the film and out in the world.

Goons Are Gifts

Given the strong historic ties BYOB has to dune, I feel like this needs to be posted here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r-WSSbKUC8

Zurtilik

Lovely big worm

Mummy Napkin
I watched The Peanut Butter Falcon recently and thought it was a sweet little movie.

BoldFrankensteinMir

I recently watched Jackie Chan's "Project A" and it has probably the best bicycle chase sequence I've ever seen in a movie. But I am down for recommendations if anyone knows of a better one.

Sig by Heather Papps

Evil Bob

just wrapped the witch. also watched the lighthouse earlier this week.

loved both, I think I liked the witch better overall but they were such different films that I find it hard to compare them

Goons Are Gifts

Watched "The New Mutants", the latest Disney infested version of the X-Men and probably one of or the last movie before they merge them with the general MCU soon and it was truly amazingly and stunningly terrible. Great actors, boring script, calls itself horror but is only horror in quality and Maisie Williams as a game of thrones-styled dog is really not the hottest poo poo. Superhero movies :argh:

Zurtilik

Goons Are Great posted:

Watched "The New Mutants", the latest Disney infested version of the X-Men and probably one of or the last movie before they merge them with the general MCU soon and it was truly amazingly and stunningly terrible. Great actors, boring script, calls itself horror but is only horror in quality and Maisie Williams as a game of thrones-styled dog is really not the hottest poo poo. Superhero movies :argh:

I do want to see this still even though I don't expect much.

Goons Are Gifts

I read through the production of that movie, since it made me curious to see that between filming and release were more than three years. Fox originally made it and Boone, the director, was quite happy with the result. Not a lot on horror, more on superhero stuff, neither X-Men nor other superheroes were supposed to be really mentioned, and almost no computer effects, just good old effects. Then It came out and Fox was like uhhh let's!! and they swapped over and included a lot more horror due to the popularity at that time. The final result made the director and Fox really happy and it tested exceptionally well. The movie then was delayed a few times to not interfere with other Fox productions like Deadpool that came out at the time and then again due to other schedule conflicts, which postponed the entire thing so long until Disney bought Fox. They looked at that movie and didn't like it, they ordered re-shoots and wanted a loooot more effects, less horror and a different cut. The re-shoots were impossible to organize because half of the crew and actors were already busy doing other stuff, like Game of Thrones, and so it took ages until stuff was scheduled for that. Finally, Disney said gently caress it, just change the effects and cut it differently, we'll do whatever, it will suck anyways and won't bring in any money. The director didn't even want to finish it at that point, as Disney butchered the hell out of it. Then they poured in a few million in CGI budget and made the entire thing covered with effects, wanted to release it earlier this year, then the virus happened, they stopped all marketing and wanted to just throw it on Hulu or Disney+ and ultimately even found that too bothersome and threw it onto the theaters just now.

That's the story of how you take something probably good and chew on it for so long that it tastes like dogshit. Which is exactly what the final Disney movie is, despite having a lot of potential. :v:

Zurtilik

Goons Are Great posted:

I read through the production of that movie, since it made me curious to see that between filming and release were more than three years. Fox originally made it and Boone, the director, was quite happy with the result. Not a lot on horror, more on superhero stuff, neither X-Men nor other superheroes were supposed to be really mentioned, and almost no computer effects, just good old effects. Then It came out and Fox was like uhhh let's!! and they swapped over and included a lot more horror due to the popularity at that time. The final result made the director and Fox really happy and it tested exceptionally well. The movie then was delayed a few times to not interfere with other Fox productions like Deadpool that came out at the time and then again due to other schedule conflicts, which postponed the entire thing so long until Disney bought Fox. They looked at that movie and didn't like it, they ordered re-shoots and wanted a loooot more effects, less horror and a different cut. The re-shoots were impossible to organize because half of the crew and actors were already busy doing other stuff, like Game of Thrones, and so it took ages until stuff was scheduled for that. Finally, Disney said gently caress it, just change the effects and cut it differently, we'll do whatever, it will suck anyways and won't bring in any money. The director didn't even want to finish it at that point, as Disney butchered the hell out of it. Then they poured in a few million in CGI budget and made the entire thing covered with effects, wanted to release it earlier this year, then the virus happened, they stopped all marketing and wanted to just throw it on Hulu or Disney+ and ultimately even found that too bothersome and threw it onto the theaters just now.

That's the story of how you take something probably good and chew on it for so long that it tastes like dogshit. Which is exactly what the final Disney movie is, despite having a lot of potential. :v:

RIP'D.

Give me the old cuts, baby!

Mekchu

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was gonna see New Mutants but decided ti get grilled pork with the lady friend. Checkmate Disney!

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped.
Tenet, yes or no? Bear in mind that I am coming from an Ivy League degree that classed Christopher Nolan in the same category as Beethoven.

e: Jordan Peele is thew new Christopher Nolan and I think that is wonderful.

Zurtilik

Bright Bart posted:

Tenet, yes or no? Bear in mind that I am coming from an Ivy League degree that classed Christopher Nolan in the same category as Beethoven.

Uhhhh... It seems to be "good enough" from the general consensus I've seen.

Goons Are Gifts

Bright Bart posted:

e: Jordan Peele is thew new Christopher Nolan and I think that is wonderful.

Personally, I am not a big fan, but it is entertaining to watch. It's an action movie about action things, is fast paced and the script is almost entirely following the usual action movie setup. People are going nuts over it and saying ohhh it's the new inception and super duper smart and complex and you can hardly follow because it is so good and complex!! but it is a lot less smart than Nolan might think and while it is indeed complex, that's not really a positive property on its own and it mostly leads to the plot being explained in almost every dialogue scene.
I think it is a solid action movie, but shouldn't try to be more than that.

Actor performance is great though, effects and cinematography are great, music is less remarkable than usually (it's the first movie Nolan didn't get Hans Zimmer since Dark Knight) but still good and the general idea is fun. It is not the reinvention of the wheel that Nolan fans for some reason always claim every new Nolan movie to be though, if you ask me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped.
Thank you.

Got it. I will pretend this movie was directed by Arnold Schwarzenegger and therefore enjoy the heck out of it.