Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
First get mad at social media influencers
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/23/style/super-bloom-california-instagram-influencer.html

next feel defensive about getting mad
https://www.melaninbasecamp.com/trip-reports/2019/5/1/five-reasons-why-you-should-keep-geotagging

or just skip those and :justpost: about posting.

Do you share your trips? With who? Do you avoid sharing some information? Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Now this is what I'm talkin' about. :sun:

On the topic of this thread, there is a social media app geared specifically towards anglers that allows you to show exact catch locations, general locations or no locations at all. I've found it interesting how anglers interact with it in different ways. Some are pretty guarded in how they share any info at all unless they decide that you meet their standards for cleaning up your mess, no overfishing, etc. Others are extremely open and will tell everything down to the gear and technique they used.

And while I usually support anglers being much more open with each other and abandoning the old habits of jealously guarding knowledge, I starting to see why the first group acts like it does. I've done some walking through the woods to explore a few different ponds with no recorded catches and since I put up catches in those locations, I've noticed more people fishing them and posting their own catches. Alot of these spots are on private property owned by corporations that own the property for future development or hold it as an asset. There is a general understanding of don't trash the place or otherwise ruin it that most people follow, but there is always that one dumbass that fucks it up for everyone. Hopefully nobody fucks up my favorite fishing holes. :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It doesn't really matter what you do because enough people are out there tagging their stuff that you can't really keep anything secret even if you want to. And even if no one else is visiting that area, it's generally not hard to find the spot with a bit of detective work because people tend to be pretty liberal with giving up context.

"I'm not gonna tell you where I took this picture, but let me tell you about our weekend trip to this state park where we hiked this one specific trail!"

It helps that photographers are generally very lazy and take 95% of their pictures within 50 feet of their car. I can't count how many "secret" spots I've found with google earth and street view.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I live in CO, and just like any area with a large population all the cool poo poo has been explored and noted and is hiked/biked to death anyways so there's really no point in getting mad or trying to keep secrecy.

The only area I run into this a ton is fishing. I can kinda get it if you're in an area with tons of little ponds and you've found the one that puts out, but even then fisherpeople are often not even telling friends/family about them, despite the fact that if it's a good spot for you, anyone with google earth can find it, will eventually try it, and it'll get out. In CO though people are absolute idiots about it, to the point where I see pics posted in that were taken in Deckers, which may be the busiest fly fishing area in the lower 48, and still try to keep it secret. Not posting a location, not answering questions, and going after people who dare to mention the location in that post or in another post from that spot.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
As a restorationist I am on the no geotagging train when documenting plants and animals. Geotagged rare plants have been poached and destroyed because of people using inaturalist and other social media. But if its a picture of an overlook or something of that nature that can be found on a map I dont see the harm.

I do ask people who are visiting our private property not to geotag stuff to discourage people from trespassing and poaching.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 5, 2020

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Most places in my area that were once a cool secret are now either regional or provincial parks, so it doesn't matter too much if you geotag the spot. I do take issue with it if it's crown land and not managed at all, because it can go from a really nice, quiet hike to covered in garbage and garbage people very quickly.

Having said that, I will yell at the clouds about the nearby provincial park I grew up with. It was dead for years and years until a bunch of mountain bikers made some videos about the area and now whenever I go back I can't hike on a narrow trail without fearing for my life. E-bikes have intensified the problem as well. Thank goodness for winter, though!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Most places in my area that were once a cool secret are now either regional or provincial parks, so it doesn't matter too much if you geotag the spot. I do take issue with it if it's crown land and not managed at all, because it can go from a really nice, quiet hike to covered in garbage and garbage people very quickly.

Yeah, it's really sad to hear about how nice the popular crown land spots around here used to be. The story is the same every time; whenever crown land spots would get passed around on the internet they would turn into garbage dumps, especially for people who don't want to get a range membership and just want to blast old appliances and poo poo. Shotgun hulls, beer cans, broken and weathered glass everywhere, and there was even a loving below-ground hot tub someone hauled to the site to blow up the last time we were there to do some exploring.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/mars-hill-draws-tourists-gunfire-165550196.html

There are some spots my friends and I keep close to our chests because of those issues, and we go so far as to discuss it with each other when bringing new people. We spent a summer hauling out decades of trash that had accumulated, and are happy to say that it's stayed pretty clean ever since. There's definitely other people who use it but I think we've all come to the same conclusion about keeping it on the down low, as well as making an effort to prevent it from getting all garbaged up again. We make it a rule to always try to take out more than we bring in.

On the positive side that's become more difficult since our initial summer of upkeep.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Coxswain Balls posted:

Yeah, it's really sad to hear about how nice the popular crown land spots around here used to be. The story is the same every time; whenever crown land spots would get passed around on the internet they would turn into garbage dumps, especially for people who don't want to get a range membership and just want to blast old appliances and poo poo. Shotgun hulls, beer cans, broken and weathered glass everywhere, and there was even a loving below-ground hot tub someone hauled to the site to blow up the last time we were there to do some exploring.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/mars-hill-draws-tourists-gunfire-165550196.html

There are some spots my friends and I keep close to our chests because of those issues, and we go so far as to discuss it with each other when bringing new people. We spent a summer hauling out decades of trash that had accumulated, and are happy to say that it's stayed pretty clean ever since. There's definitely other people who use it but I think we've all come to the same conclusion about keeping it on the down low, as well as making an effort to prevent it from getting all garbaged up again. We make it a rule to always try to take out more than we bring in.

On the positive side that's become more difficult since our initial summer of upkeep.

No idea what its like in Canada or their laws but as an archaeologist in the states I should mention that some of those decades old trash piles might be categorized as archaeological sites and be technically protected.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

This covers the general aspects of it, but like I said it's primarily modern garbage that was hauled out to be blown up. You can pinpoint how old it is by labeling with old logos, the design of the appliance, or the hideous avocado shade of toilet shards, all of which is riddled with bullet holes, birdshot, and the accompanying casings strewn everywhere.

It's not like we excavated a midden that could unlock cultural insights outside of "some assholes like to do illegal dumping here". The bare minimum for something to start to be considered significant seems to be fifty years, which certainly isn't the case here.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Atticus_1354 posted:

As a restorationist I am on the no geotagging train when documenting plants and animals. Geotagged rare plants have been poached and destroyed because of people using inaturalist and other social media. But if its a picture of an overlook or something of that nature that can be found on a map I dont see the harm.

I get worried that at some point someone's going to release the location of the Methuselah tree (granted it probably would be identified more by photo than by tag) and that's going to spell the end for it after thousands of years of being just fine.

I'd be a lot happier if people didn't feel the need to find that one spot, and were just happy to enjoy the many locations that exist around and near it.

And it is depressing how much BLM land (US land publicly owned but not generally protected or restricted) gets turned into a shooting range/garbage dump when some of the sites would otherwise be nice, pretty, and peaceful.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kangra posted:

I get worried that at some point someone's going to release the location of the Methuselah tree (granted it probably would be identified more by photo than by tag) and that's going to spell the end for it after thousands of years of being just fine.

I'd be a lot happier if people didn't feel the need to find that one spot, and were just happy to enjoy the many locations that exist around and near it.

And it is depressing how much BLM land (US land publicly owned but not generally protected or restricted) gets turned into a shooting range/garbage dump when some of the sites would otherwise be nice, pretty, and peaceful.

I didn't know the forest service keeps a location secret for this reason, cool.

Leave No TraceTM vs hillbilly hog wallow captures a lot of this, I think. Different sets of people enjoy each ethic. Very few people advocate for no one go there ever, not even hikers.

Tangentially, this is one of the best facebook pages https://www.facebook.com/HikingOnly/

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Coxswain Balls posted:

This covers the general aspects of it, but like I said it's primarily modern garbage that was hauled out to be blown up. You can pinpoint how old it is by labeling with old logos, the design of the appliance, or the hideous avocado shade of toilet shards, all of which is riddled with bullet holes, birdshot, and the accompanying casings strewn everywhere.

It's not like we excavated a midden that could unlock cultural insights outside of "some assholes like to do illegal dumping here". The bare minimum for something to start to be considered significant seems to be fifty years, which certainly isn't the case here.

Yeah I have just seen people pick up historic trash dumps associated with wagon trails and such thinking they are doing a good thing when it just makes everyones life hell.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 8, 2020

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Future civilizations would have been able to answer the question "what do hillbillies do in a gravel pit" but the dang hippies destroyed all the evidence.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
A past coworker used to call this 'redneck archeology' and sometimes we'd waste company time trying to figure out how old the lovely rotted out camp was and what they had for dinner

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I won't post fishing spots online. The reason is the lurkers. For every person that posts, there are between 200-500 people who read and don't post. God forbid if google scrapes a forums. If "creek name + trout" comes up in the google searches because of a post I made, I know there are going to be a ton of people checking it out.

All my good spots require an hour of hiking. But a verified report is enough to make someone who otherwise wouldn't make that hike. And I've been burned by this. I'll gladly PM anyone my "entry level" spots - popular spots, but ones I can vouch for, to anyone who asks. If you prove worthy, i.e. engage with the forums/community in a positive manner, or show yourself to have a strong conservation ethic, I'll give you the next tier: spots that aren't well known and contain naive trout. The top tier spots go only to family.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I bumped into a guy who's getting older and gave me one of his hunting spots, it looks amazing and even has acceptable access for someone without a horse.

The problem is I don't have a dedicated hunting buddy and it's really remote in prime grizzly habitat so hosed if I'm going alone. But I don't want to take anyone who might blab about it to their other buddies either.

It's a conundrum.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Outrail posted:

I bumped into a guy who's getting older and gave me one of his hunting spots, it looks amazing and even has acceptable access for someone without a horse.

The problem is I don't have a dedicated hunting buddy and it's really remote in prime grizzly habitat so hosed if I'm going alone. But I don't want to take anyone who might blab about it to their other buddies either.

It's a conundrum.

WY, MT or ID? I've got a G20 and boots. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

charliebravo77 posted:

WY, MT or ID? I've got a G20 and boots. :v:

BC, don;t let the CO's catch you with that up here :/

One of the reasons I don't want to go along is for someone to carry a defender. Bear spray is probably better in like 90% of encounters but there's some comfort knowing you can blow several fist-sized holes in something if needed.