Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Colonel Cancer posted:

This doesn't look as disgusting as macncheese loaf but not far from it

I am going to have to see a picture of this mac & cheese loaf, pal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Spinz posted:

AHEM
I WORKED THERE 13 YEARS
That's why it sounds like a lot of guys. For the most part these were co-workers that became boyfriends. You don't mess with your clientele. I just had one guy and I've written about him before, I still wonder what happened to Dave. :(

I put in 6 and it was the most beautiful menagerie of people I've ever met. Horrible, wild, and awesome. I'd never wish it on anyone, and wouldn't change it for the world.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I shall tell you a tale:

when my father was a young man, his mother asked him, "do you like olive loaf?"

he answered, "sure, I guess."

and so my grandmother made him an entire school year's worth of olive loaf sandwiches and put them in the freezer. he ate one thawed sandwich a day, every day, for that year.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Star Me Kitten posted:

I am going to have to see a picture of this mac & cheese loaf, pal.

Happy now!?!

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Nice lookin’ loaf you got there.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

:stare:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
why dont they also just blend the bread right into the meat to further simplify sandwich making

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

gary oldmans diary posted:

why dont they also just blend the bread right into the meat to further simplify sandwich making

Maybe add some mustard into the mix too and roll it all up into balls. Sandwich balls

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

gary oldmans diary posted:

It has been done.

I should warn you that that sites cuisine page is pretty NMS.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Haven't you heard of a humble pizza? Made properly it's a sandwich that includes bread, cheese, and meat in one holy trinity!!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
It’s interesting because I feel like a lot of people poopoo on stuff like the topic of this thread because it’s heavily processed and so they eat “better” by buying heavily processed versions of normal food.

To me though good food from high quality ingredients is just something I make at home all the time, I don’t eat out a ton so when I’m feeling fishy I buy a whole coho and smoke it. When you’re working with nice stuff it’s actually incredibly easy to make well, just season how you like and check your temps, the steak or whatever will be fantastic.

But I have a soft spot for meat that sounds like a German apologizing for sneezing too loudly. I am never in a million years going to put in the time and effort it would take a human with normal tools and ingredients to replicate some fuckoff man grinding machine with safety labels placarded every 5 feet and literal sacks you could fortify a trench with full of the dried extracts of a million food scientists. That’s not something I’ll do at home, but I will enjoy it.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I love olives and processed meat foods, but the one time I had olive loaf it was disgusting. Maybe I can find a haute cuisine version to buy around here

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

oh and the macaroni and the cheese are separate, not mixed together like mac'n'cheese. so sometimes you bite into the slice of pressed mechanically separated hog rectum and also get a bite of cold slimy unseasoned pasta.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Can you fry olive loaf or would it just fall apart? I hate raw bologna but i used to eat it fried. You cut it so it doesn't curl up in the pan. I haven't had that in years and i think it would be disappointing if i tried it again tbh.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

never had olive loaf OP might have to try some.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I thought curling Bologna was the whole point? Mind you I haven't eaten that trash fried since I was a wee child but I remember really being into it as one. Used to call 'em hats

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Is there any number of olives that would make an olive loaf disgusting

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

this seems like a weirdly personal and intimate thing to share in a public forum, op

like, i'm not certain this is appropriate. frankly, i'd think twice about sharing this with someone you're sleeping with, let alone the population at large, but i hope it was cathartic for you

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Private Cumshoe posted:

Is there any number of olives that would make an olive loaf disgusting

3 :haw:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I’m more of a head cheese man, myself, OP. Fry it in a pan, put it on some rye bread w spicy mustard. Just get real gross w it

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Tiny Bug Child posted:

I have never eaten an olive. They don't seem particularly gross to me but at this point in my life I feel like I might as well keep the streak alive.

Your life has done you wrong.
Pitted black olives (not Kalamata etc.) are the "starter" olives.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You know, I have never tried olive loaf, mostly because I don't really eat sandwiches, but I like olives and I like meat. I would probably like this.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I prefer mortadella with pistachios, op

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I like the big green olives stuffed with garlic or jalapeños. They should put those in meat.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Garlic stuffed olives are amazing

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Colonel Cancer posted:

Garlic stuffed olives are amazing

The grocery store here has those single serving olive packs, now with a garlic stuffed flavor. I buy every one on the shelf when I go :hai:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

TheAardvark posted:

The grocery store here has those single serving olive packs, now with a garlic stuffed flavor. I buy every one on the shelf when I go :hai:

Why not get a proper jar?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Colonel Cancer posted:

Why not get a proper jar?

I like my olives at room temperature and frankly any size of container is one serving of olives to me

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Head cheese

:nms: https://i.imgur.com/xSDgV5d.png

chunks of meat from the head of an indeterminate animal in clear gelatin for some reason

I think maybe the Diaspora are in to it

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

It looks ok, what's wrong with you?

Perfectly fine meat jelly.

Tbh I grew up eating holodets

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Yum!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Scientist posted:

Head cheese

:nms: https://i.imgur.com/xSDgV5d.png

chunks of meat from the head of an indeterminate animal in clear gelatin for some reason

I think maybe the Diaspora are in to it

it's very good fried

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I prefer mortadella with pistachios, op

I do too, actually. And I'm resurrecting this thread because I thought about it this morning.

quote:

This is the finest Mortadella available in America. We are confident saying that because we have gone to Italy, tasted the best, and are confident that the best that Italy has to export is inferior to our product. Not only is the imported product inferior in taste, but we are aware that Italian imports cannot compare with the the breeds and conditions by which the animals we source are raised by our farmer partners. Our products are made from the highest quality family farm raised heritage animals that far surpass anything that can be offered by imported brands. Also, we know how to make it as well as they do, so be sure that when you taste our product you will be living the experience only accessible by those who craft on a local level within our motherland. The Berkshire rendition of the classic from Emilia Romagna. Laced with whole black peppercorns, pistachios and grand diced back fat. Made with Heritage Berkshire and Duroc pigs raised on family farms without antibiotics or hormones, and always vegetarian-fed.

We continuously source the finest Sicilian pistachios for our mortadella, the largest, most flavorful and most brilliant green pistachios we can find. This changes over time, but we want you to know that we are tireless in making sure we have the best product available. Frankly, our family in Chicago would not bother eating anything less

Who wants in

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i want to eat my way inside of that

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

anything named loaf that is not bread is an abomination unto nuggan and to be shunned

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
I spent 13 years in foodservice as a dishawasher/line cook/sous chef/kitchen manager and both Kitchen Confidential and Spinz’s stories are like echoes of mine.

I have no distinct opinion about olive loaf, though I’ve always understood it to be a kind of semi-trashy holdover from the 1950s quasi-Cambrian Explosion of hyperprocessed foods.

Does anybody other than Oscar Meyer make it? I’d try some but OM is generally garbage.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i was placing an order at my wholesale club of preference and they recommended i try olive loaf, like i didnt have a mom growing up or something

E: you can get olive loaf at probably every grocery store deli in america i'd imagine lol

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I used to work in a deli and this poo poo was my jam. Macaroni and cheese loaf was also great.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

beep-boop, I'm a Nummy Bacon Bot. I scrape your posts for bacon points!

To get your current bacon points message me with !bacon_points

To opt out of collecting nummy bacon points, just put me on ignore!
Ameribros, your processed meat looks disgusting.

Get some of this European superior olive meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

NGC773 posted:

Ameribros, your processed meat looks disgusting.

Get some of this European superior olive meat

yeah most things in america are designed to kill its inhabitants tbh