Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The Cubelodyte posted:

I spent 13 years in foodservice as a dishawasher/line cook/sous chef/kitchen manager and both Kitchen Confidential and Spinz’s stories are like echoes of mine.

I have no distinct opinion about olive loaf, though I’ve always understood it to be a kind of semi-trashy holdover from the 1950s quasi-Cambrian Explosion of hyperprocessed foods.

Does anybody other than Oscar Meyer make it? I’d try some but OM is generally garbage.

boar's head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Colonel Cancer posted:

Garlic stuffed olives are amazing

these are the poo poo

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
gonna pick up some olive loaf when i go to the store later :yum: i think they have the boars head kind

what kind of bread and cheese should i get, im going to be eating them for days

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

TheAardvark posted:

gonna pick up some olive loaf when i go to the store later :yum: i think they have the boars head kind

a nice artisan sourdough and some fresh mozz

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

TheAardvark posted:

italian bread and provolone

Chinatown posted:

a nice artisan sourdough and some fresh mozz

that also sounds good

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

hey if we're talking about processed meat-food products adored by grandparents, i'd like to broaden the purview of this thread to include scrapple.

it is mechanically separated pork scraps and flour formed into a congealed loaf, and it looks and tastes exactly as you would imagine.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Prof. Crocodile posted:

hey if we're talking about processed meat-food products adored by grandparents, i'd like to broaden the purview of this thread to include scrapple.

it is mechanically separated pork scraps and flour formed into a congealed loaf, and it looks and tastes exactly as you would imagine.

NO

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

TheAardvark posted:

Sourdough as mentioned is best.

Crusty artisanal is fine.

top with a good muenster OR a baby swiss, a paper tjhin slice of tomato. Please I'm begging of you?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

loving HELL I'mg slappin mty keyboard

the idea of a slice of a paper thin tomato against some bread and some GODdamn braunshweiger gently caress I can't stand it blow against the cartdridge!!!!!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Prof. Crocodile posted:

i just finished off a pack of scrapple yesterday and have a few more in my freezer from when i ordered a dozen online when the lockdowns started

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mozi you're European, yes?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i'm in vermont but i've been around a bit. i like scrapple because my friend's wife is from a scrapple-heavy locale and i eat it when i visit them. it's a nice change of pace from bacon every now and then

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

Chinatown posted:

these are the poo poo

Whoa. Truly we are living in wondrous times. I need to get my hands on a jar of these.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Whoa. Truly we are living in wondrous times. I need to get my hands on a jar of these.

Yes, hell is happening all around us, yet we can still get our hands on all the most gourmet food, stuff our faces and entertain ourselves with just about anything we can imagine to distract us from the apocalypse. It's that perfect sweet spot. I feel we will look back on 2020 as the good ole days.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

Star Me Kitten posted:

Yes, hell is happening all around us, yet we can still get our hands on all the most gourmet food, stuff our faces and entertain ourselves with just about anything we can imagine to distract us from the apocalypse. It's that perfect sweet spot. I feel we will look back on 2020 as the good ole days.

2020 is indeed a land of contrasts.

Might as well go out with a mouthful of double stuffed olives :shrug:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Prof. Crocodile posted:

There's always one of you in every olive loaf thread. Go away. For the last time we are nothing like you and don't like you

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

2020 is indeed a land of contrasts.

Might as well go out with a mouthful of double stuffed olives :shrug:

Feel ya

And I will raise you a bowl.

Cheers!

Statutory Ape posted:

There's always one of you in every olive loaf thread. Go away. For the last time we are nothing like you and don't like you

No way. I take the opposing stance. Show me MORE disgusting loafs.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
more like liverbest

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

I saw some boar's head olive loaf at the deli counter except instead of olives it was peppers and garlic and they were calling it a "terrine". Now in my experience a terrine is a coarse french pate presented as a dense trapezoidal brick of gut meat. But this just looked like some bologna, I'm not too sure about these boar's head folks

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
OP is wrong, Olive Loaf is a degenerate mortadella, and is not bologna. That’s why it’s good even though American bologna is utterly disgusting.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
no olive loaf at my grocery :( not even oscar meyer

got some liverwurst and a sesame seed sourdough loaf though :getin:

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

beep-boop, I'm a Nummy Bacon Bot. I scrape your posts for bacon points!

To get your current bacon points message me with !bacon_points

To opt out of collecting nummy bacon points, just put me on ignore!

Mozi posted:

more like liverbest

10/10 disgusting meat

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
mortadella was illegal until recently in the US, for reasons I'm too lazy to look up.

scrapple as I understand it is what's made out of the leftover pig parts after literally everything else edible has been made into a thing. boil the leftovers in a cauldron for a very long time, have the kids slap the top of the boiling concoction (for what reason I do not know)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
gotta slap something

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

TheAardvark posted:

no olive loaf at my grocery :( not even oscar meyer

got some liverwurst and a sesame seed sourdough loaf though :getin:

NOW

we're slapping!!

THrough that pappy on some bread with the spiciest mustard you GOT! I wanna SEE it!! Some thick onions! HOOO boooy we're gonna dadwhich it up hereabouts

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ladies, please!!!

Throw your knickers to the side!

This is dadwurst country and we got ourselves some weird meats and old bread comin through

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
is that an olive loaf in your pants or are you ju... oh, it is an olive loaf

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

the olive oaf

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mozi posted:

is that an olive loaf in your pants or are you ju... oh, it is an olive loaf

the warmest area of the body is the genitals. this is intended to help improve our chances of reproducing, but more importantly, is the exact temperature that olive loaf is best served at

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

beep-boop, I'm a Nummy Bacon Bot. I scrape your posts for bacon points!

To get your current bacon points message me with !bacon_points

To opt out of collecting nummy bacon points, just put me on ignore!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

hobody

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Chinatown posted:

these are the poo poo

lmfao..."double stuffed" :xd:

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
I like me a good coarse liverwurst you have to slice rather than spread.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

LOl this should be an AV.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Mozi posted:

more like liverbest

heck yeah, this is the thing I buy twice a year which never disappoints. I should get it more often, I just don't think about it

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Mozi posted:

more like liverbest

I used to work on Deli Counter, and 75% of Liverwurst orders were senior citizens.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 11, 2020

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

zaepg posted:

I used to work on Deli Counter, and 75% of Liverwurst orders were senior citizens.

probably developed a taste during the great depression. liverwurst is normally only eaten out of grim necessity, like scrapple or burger king.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Loaf? Owns
Olives? Owns

Olive loaf? Well its not lebenese bolgna so yeah its good

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Liverwurst is really, really good and the only kind of processed meat I really miss from time to time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Prof. Crocodile posted:

probably developed a taste during the great depression. liverwurst is normally only eaten out of grim necessity, like scrapple or burger king.

Olive Loaf orders were 60 year old essentric ladies trying to relive their 20s kind of people.

Liverwurst were the old people whod yell at you. And their house likely smelled wierd.

People who ordered cheese but requested it in "blocks" rather than slices were entitled dbags.

But. People who asked for Boars Head even though our menu board CLEARLY said we dont stock Boars Head were perhaps the most lost of all the souls in our fine supermarket establishment.

Every meat order has a story to tell they say.

Tbh I just miss stealing and gobbling down all the meats though