Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
if beartraps have a hint for them now, why dont skeltons and enemy pots still not have a hint?

no this post is not salty from a skelton stunning me and crushing me in a gold idol trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Skulls and pots are highly visible, and easy to avoid! They just sometimes happen to be safe.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you should assume every skull or pot you see is dangerous until proven otherwise

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
I just learned the hard way that the wooden shield guys in jungle can crush the key :negative:

And one level later walked into a bear trap that was mostly obscured by a foreground object anyways

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Nanomachine Son posted:

I just learned the hard way that the wooden shield guys in jungle can crush the key :negative:

And one level later walked into a bear trap that was mostly obscured by a foreground object anyways

Wait, what? I thought only the metal shield could crush.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Nanomachine Son posted:

Yeah a bear trap on the top of a tree in the jungle was basically invisible to me :|

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Peewi posted:

Wait, what? I thought only the metal shield could crush.

So did I, but it got lodged in a small pit (2 blocks wide) with one of the shield guys I aggroed and went poof. I had such a good run going for it too with a Kapala and cloak.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Okay so once again I turned in two turkeys in Dwelling and then bought all of Yang's stuff at his jungle store. No achievement. wtf?

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

LLCoolJD posted:

Okay so once again I turned in two turkeys in Dwelling and then bought all of Yang's stuff at his jungle store. No achievement. wtf?

looks like the last update broke steam achievements

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

u_s_eh posted:

looks like the last update broke steam achievements

Good thing I did my third shortcut last night.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

After not stepping on a bear trap in a while I just jumped right onto one of the new ones with the gold blip on top. I just didn't register the gold or the trap at all. I knew when I got up to 24 health that I'd definitely end up cursed, crushed, or trapped.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the bear trap update is on PS4 now
I was having a helluva run just now, got Kapala, got Vlad’s Cape, got the Ankh, got lots of bombs and rope, was flying through and was sure that this would be The Run.

I flew too close to the sun, got killed by the goddamn Yeti King.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
straight up if I don't have good tools for killing the big yetis I just skip that cave

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Discovered today the multiplayer ghost one shots the regular final boss :black101:

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

straight up if I don't have good tools for killing the big yetis I just skip that cave

With practice using the shortcut to 5-1, I ended up settling on a "bomb bowling" technique that works really well. Your bombs will slide all the way to the end on the ice and bounce back just a tad. If you wait for Yeti Queen to get to the end you can blow her up with one bomb. She drops spike shoes and ropes so you can either do the same thing for Yeti King or try to spike shoe him. I just use a bomb for each of them usually. The tricky thing with the King is that if you drop down from the top level you might be close enough to anger him which stops him from walking around. Also they walk super slow so you may want to grab the clover in the room.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Bringing a land mine with you saves you a bomb and is even a little easier since it has a much shorter slide. The king will happily walk off the edge and fall into the spikes, too, if you bomb out a 2x gap in his floor.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Finally got to 7-1! I died immediately to regrowing walls! but I got there! Adrenaline is pumping. This game.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
New patch on steam is out, supposedly it fixes the achievements. Also I joined the "run as the movement default" cult cause my fingers were starting to get tired of holding the run button

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

resistentialism posted:

Bringing a land mine with you saves you a bomb and is even a little easier since it has a much shorter slide. The king will happily walk off the edge and fall into the spikes, too, if you bomb out a 2x gap in his floor.

Oooh that's a great idea. Yeah, fortunately the King will spike himself if you make a drop.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
What's the best strat for killing olmec without sticky bombs?

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Big Scary Owl posted:

Shotgun while hanging from the ladder or a rope.
Cook bombs to blow up hoverpads.
If you have jetpack or Vlad's cape you can just fly up whip the hoverpads. Or even just use ropes.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Big Scary Owl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBXmi8BlAKU&t=190s

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Big Scary Owl posted:

Just let him quickly bomb out a space on the left side then get on a rope or a block if you have double jump and whip his orbs

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 24, 2020

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Augus posted:

Just let him quickly bomb out a space on the left side then get on a rope or a block if you have double jump and whip his orbs

This is also how you defeat me.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the tips everyone. I also found out that if you sacrifice more stuff to Kali after getting the Kapala you get the bee honey for more health, nice.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
this is what I do every time: when he's first landed on the second level down, go next to him and wait for him to rise and show the orbs. jump up and hit one orb 3 times with a whip to break it, then hit the other orb twice. when you're ready to drop him, jump up and hit the remaining orb the last time and he will fall. you can throw a rock to make it safer but cape is safe enough imo

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I must whine.

Stole in 1-2, accidentally landed on a shopkeep while exiting 1-3. Game won't allow you to be forgiven between 1-4 and 2-1 for some reason, so presumably some time in 2-1 a shopkeep killed themselves and therefore were permanently aggro'd. I never touched another one so I know I didn't earn the ire. Despite that I get to 6-3 with few problems. Now, I know I shoulda just let the shopkeep get angry at the start of the level and run around, but I didn't because I assumed he'd blow up a bunch of stuff and send the entire contents of the world flying at me. I put myself in this situation. That being said 7 damage is bonkers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amnfcmur9ik

4 damage from the explosion of the plasma cannon. I've never seen this before. Does the suit taking critical damage just apply 4 damage to the player? The plasma cannon in HD did 20 dmg, I imagine in 2 it's 10 or more. What gives?
1 damage the very next frame from a shotgun flying through me. Invincibility frames are for earners!
1 damage from the olmite falling with me
1 damage from height

I've been grumbling internally that Spelunky 2's threshold for collision speed has been made ridiculously low since I started playing. If an arrow misses you and hits a wall, it will gain enough speed to cause you damage before it gets halfway through that empty tile away from the wall. Arguably the damage from the olmite falling with me was caused by this very low threshold. I rest my case, Spelunky 2, I expect a heartfelt "ok" in writing.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Giggs posted:

I must whine.

Stole in 1-2, accidentally landed on a shopkeep while exiting 1-3. Game won't allow you to be forgiven between 1-4 and 2-1 for some reason, so presumably some time in 2-1 a shopkeep killed themselves and therefore were permanently aggro'd. I never touched another one so I know I didn't earn the ire. Despite that I get to 6-3 with few problems. Now, I know I shoulda just let the shopkeep get angry at the start of the level and run around, but I didn't because I assumed he'd blow up a bunch of stuff and send the entire contents of the world flying at me. I put myself in this situation. That being said 7 damage is bonkers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amnfcmur9ik

4 damage from the explosion of the plasma cannon. I've never seen this before. Does the suit taking critical damage just apply 4 damage to the player? The plasma cannon in HD did 20 dmg, I imagine in 2 it's 10 or more. What gives?
1 damage the very next frame from a shotgun flying through me. Invincibility frames are for earners!
1 damage from the olmite falling with me
1 damage from height

I've been grumbling internally that Spelunky 2's threshold for collision speed has been made ridiculously low since I started playing. If an arrow misses you and hits a wall, it will gain enough speed to cause you damage before it gets halfway through that empty tile away from the wall. Arguably the damage from the olmite falling with me was caused by this very low threshold. I rest my case, Spelunky 2, I expect a heartfelt "ok" in writing.

ok

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

How come the ghost sometimes comes at 2:30

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kiranamos posted:

How come the ghost sometimes comes at 2:30

He does if you're cursed, I believe.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

How does grabbing priority work in this game? I have been in a few situations now where my survival dependend on me knowing which one of multiple overlapping objects I would pick up, and I'm not sure how to suss that out.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Finally got to 7-1! I died immediately to regrowing walls! but I got there! Adrenaline is pumping. This game.

Ended up having a day of it. The run immediately after this one I did the daily challenge and landed #12 on the PS4 leaderboards with a 6-4 win, then a few runs later beat 7-4 for the first time.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ariong posted:

How does grabbing priority work in this game? I have been in a few situations now where my survival dependend on me knowing which one of multiple overlapping objects I would pick up, and I'm not sure how to suss that out.
whatever is dropped onto a stack last is "on top" and will be picked up first(and is rendered on top or 'in front' of the other items), unless the items are offset by a bit in which case you can be close enough to pick up one but not the other.

worth noting that when you stun a shopkeeper who's carrying a key, the key drops after the shotgun so it goes on top. that means you need to
a). throw away the key and very quickly grab again to get shotgun,
b). throw away shopkeeper so you have more time to grab key and then shotgun,
c). let shopkeeper get back up and grab the shotgun, and time a jump to land on his head. the shotgun will then land in a different spot than the key because the key doesn't get picked back up and then you can get it easily

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

whatever is dropped onto a stack last is "on top" and will be picked up first(and is rendered on top or 'in front' of the other items), unless the items are offset by a bit in which case you can be close enough to pick up one but not the other.

worth noting that when you stun a shopkeeper who's carrying a key, the key drops after the shotgun so it goes on top. that means you need to
a). throw away the key and very quickly grab again to get shotgun,
b). throw away shopkeeper so you have more time to grab key and then shotgun,
c). let shopkeeper get back up and grab the shotgun, and time a jump to land on his head. the shotgun will then land in a different spot than the key because the key doesn't get picked back up and then you can get it easily

Thanks!

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

He does if you're cursed, I believe.

Wondering if the timer is shortened in multiplayer.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Will the hired hands try to kill you if you whip them first or did I just trigger some other kind of weird loop? I was just trying to get that sweet, sweet blood and they had the audacity to murder me!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
they turn hostile if you whip them 4 times, i think. throw rocks at them instead

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I managed to get Speedlunky with a time of 6:38 :woop:

I think now I just need to do a low gold run and fill out the last couple of journal entries. I've reached world 7 a good amount of times and beaten the boss but had totally been ignoring the whole thing with the bow so I guess I'll need to start adding that to my runs (I'm also missing the eggplant stuff but I guess I'll worry about that when I've done everything else since it sounds annoying)

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I managed to get Speedlunky with a time of 6:38 :woop:

:discourse:

I'm up to 50% achievements unlocked. I'm going to need to git gud at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
At some point long ago I got all the way to Olmec. Now I can never seem to get past quillback. Spelunky regression syndrome is real and bad.