Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I managed to get all the way to 6-1 on a run, then got killed in typical fashion by being ragdolled right under a crushing block.
Game is real good. I'm terrible at it but its real good.

a new study bible! posted:

I personally found the jungle to be easier than the volcano because the it feels like jumps are easier to pull off. Also you can get boomerangs pretty easy which trivializes most enemies. In the volcano you have robots who can reflect shotgun bullets, lava imps, fire spitting rockdogs, and so many instagibs.

I feel the opposite way. To me literal hell is still preferable to braving the jungle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think I'm onto a new discovery that's obvious in hindsight. I keep dying trying to make it work though so if any goons are willing to give it a shot-

I get the eye in the mines. Then the Hedjet/Crown in the volcano. I take down Olmec and kill him making him fall in the lava and get a ankh. In the temple area you can access the city of Gold the same was as usual with killing anubis for his scepter. This is the part I keep messing up with. There's a big golden statue sitting in front of a sacrifice alter and my hunch is to sacrifice myself and ??? secret??? due to the statue having a ankh on it. The one time I was able to do it I left without really thinking about it but now each time I try to get back to it I either die or wind up blowing the ankh like a idiot on the way there. Anyone wanna attempt it?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think I'm onto a new discovery that's obvious in hindsight. I keep dying trying to make it work though so if any goons are willing to give it a shot-

I get the eye in the mines. Then the Hedjet/Crown in the volcano. I take down Olmec and kill him making him fall in the lava and get a ankh. In the temple area you can access the city of Gold the same was as usual with killing anubis for his scepter. This is the part I keep messing up with. There's a big golden statue sitting in front of a sacrifice alter and my hunch is to sacrifice myself and ??? secret??? due to the statue having a ankh on it. The one time I was able to do it I left without really thinking about it but now each time I try to get back to it I either die or wind up blowing the ankh like a idiot on the way there. Anyone wanna attempt it?

I believe that's just a normal sacrifice shrine. What you really want to test is sacrificing yourself in 5 (ice world) near the moai head since that's where you would sacrifice yourself in spelunky 1.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Question for the udjat eye secret in the jungle, does the eye blip in a similar way to how it did in the first game? Been through the jungle a fair amount of times with the eye and not even seen it blip or anything. I assume it is pretty much the same.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

thebardyspoon posted:

Question for the udjat eye secret in the jungle, does the eye blip in a similar way to how it did in the first game? Been through the jungle a fair amount of times with the eye and not even seen it blip or anything. I assume it is pretty much the same.

It's a lot quieter and more subtle. I only noticed it because "what the hell is that noise"

Also the cave is practically invisible even when exposed. I can barely even see it half the time.

poemdexter posted:

I believe that's just a normal sacrifice shrine. What you really want to test is sacrificing yourself in 5 (ice world) near the moai head since that's where you would sacrifice yourself in spelunky 1.

I think the head is for something else, it doesn't have the ankh anymore and instead has that other slab with purple junk on it.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Not only do the AI helper characters that you dig out of the coffins look absolutely freakish and nasty, they've killed me way more than they've saved me. They'll get damaged and fly into me (knocking me into lava or spikes), teeter on a ledge and hit me with the item they're holding, practically anything that screws me over. I don't even open the coffins anymore.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
they're a good source of blood :)

Feb 2, 2005
drat this game seems like an order of magnitude harder than Spelunky 1.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Relevant to thread interests. Gonna give this a listen in a bit.

https://twitter.com/noclipvideo/status/1306980304138063873

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Casey Finnigan posted:

Not only do the AI helper characters that you dig out of the coffins look absolutely freakish and nasty, they've killed me way more than they've saved me. They'll get damaged and fly into me (knocking me into lava or spikes), teeter on a ledge and hit me with the item they're holding, practically anything that screws me over. I don't even open the coffins anymore.

To open the shortcut into world 5 you have to bring one alive to mama tunnel. Seems like it'll be pretty tough.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Does Mama Tunnel exist in MP games? I guess cheesing it by having your friends clear ahead of you goes against the spirit of Spelunky, and I wouldn't do it, but it'd be a nice option if I spent 100 hours trying to make it happen

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
sword in stone: I confirmed you can pull excaliber out of the stone if you have the crown from the vlad fight. Also, if you find the hunter in the locked room in the volcano, the one that gives you the diamond, he will one shot vlad for you with a crossbow.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I've seen the answer in a video; spoiling as little as possible: Your hunch is correct.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

poemdexter posted:

You're wrong on both counts

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Carpator Diei posted:

I've seen the answer in a video; spoiling as little as possible: Your hunch is correct.

so do I need to sacrifice myself on the altar? I bombed myself near the altar but that did nothing but use up the ankh. Mad I wasted that good run for nothing.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

poemdexter posted:

so do I need to sacrifice myself on the altar? I bombed myself near the altar but that did nothing but use up the ankh. Mad I wasted that good run for nothing.
Just fall down onto the altar from a ways up. You'll get stunned and lay on it, and altars automatically sacrifice anything laying on them

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Played coop with a friend. It was very fun.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Got my first win after 652 attempts. Did it with no shortcuts too! Much like Spelunky 1, rocket pack and shotgun too powerful.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Shout out to the normal end boss that has the funniest 'a' battle cry I've heard in a video game.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

poemdexter posted:

The area around the altar is designed for you to drop yourself onto the altar. Get high enough and you'll stun yourself on landing, which will sacrifice you.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo the way this game manages to kill you sometimes is astounding

Level 6-2 spoilers - embedding removed
(loud audio warning - player yelling)
https://clips.twitch.tv/BrightAuspiciousMagpieDoubleRainbow

The UFO shot an olmite beneath it, the olmite's helmet reflected the beam, killing the UFO and killing the player.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Finally got the last shortcut. Can’t wait to never use it now.

By far the worst part was carrying the hired helper all the way. I swear these guys actively go out of their way to gently caress you over. One time the second I spawned into the floor, the helper charged forward with such determination, grabbed the mouse, and then dived right into the lava without a moment’s hesitation.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Wow I cleared the first area pretty immediately and then went on to the shortcuts so I didn't notice at first, but the mines really suck. I am constantly getting hit by arrow traps because they're off screen and I scroll them onto the screen. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do when the thing shoots an arrow at me the exact second it becomes visible.

That and the lack of ability to throw things straight downwards. Like okay I want to throw something in front of this arrow trap but every single thing I throw just breaks against the nearby ledge. Guess I'll just eat the damage?

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 19, 2020

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Casey Finnigan posted:

Wow I cleared the first area pretty immediately and then went on to the shortcuts so I didn't notice at first, but the mines really suck. I am constantly getting hit by arrow traps because they're off screen and I scroll them onto the screen. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do when the thing shoots an arrow at me the exact second it becomes visible.

That and the lack of ability to throw things straight downwards. Like okay I want to throw something in front of this arrow trap but every single thing I throw just breaks against the nearby ledge. Guess I'll just eat the damage?

Can drop a rope if you really wanna avoid it. If you're leaning over a edge and hit down + rope it'll fall go down to activate things.

Mines are more of the same from 1 to me, but I think the mole rats can just get like.. coded out of the game and I wouldn't mind at all.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Having a hard time with how much more everything blends in to the background this time around. The arrow traps, jungle spike traps, and especially ceiling spiders are easy to miss, not to mention the freaking level exits. It's great! but boy is it meaner than hell.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Mines are more of the same from 1 to me, but I think the mole rats can just get like.. coded out of the game and I wouldn't mind at all.

Oh yeah gotta love the moles. You got damaged because you walked near a cloud of dust in a wall that instantaneously popped out.

Sometimes I feel like this game goes too far in the direction of "eh it's a roguelike, it's fine if the game is full of unavoidable or nearly unavoidable one hit kills" Plus like people mentioned before, how visually busy it is that it's hard to distinguish things. A lot of times I'll just take damage from something I never even saw.

Like seriously, in the first level you have white piles of skulls and bones, white spikes with skulls among them, and skeleton enemies, which are just white skulls on the floor. It's maddening.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 19, 2020

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

welcome posted:

Having a hard time with how much more everything blends in to the background this time around. The arrow traps, jungle spike traps, and especially ceiling spiders are easy to miss, not to mention the freaking level exits. It's great! but boy is it meaner than hell.

I'm wondering how intentional the hard-to-see level exits are. Not digging that, but loving the game overall.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Augus posted:

Finally got the last shortcut. Can’t wait to never use it now.

Yup.

I'm liking the shortcuts for getting familiar with forest/volcano (getting there and annihilated by lava in 10 seconds the first few times was fun). I'm sure once I'm done with them it's time to do full runs from the beginning.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I never use the shortcuts because if you play well and get a bit lucky you can walk from level 1 into the jungle/volcano with really powerful gear.

The bad thing is having jetpack and shotgun or whatever powerful gear makes me kind of jittery and nervous and more likely to jump onto spikes for no reason

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

You skip shortcuts once you get good, but people like me who are bad at games need them to practice later zones. Every run right now is a learning experience anyway, I might as well learn with almost no items.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Yeah showing up to 2-1 with good items, maybe even a Kapala, and then getting gibbed within 30s by a new trap or something feels pretty frustrating. I think the shortcuts are meant to help learn the game but not as a way to finish it.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I haven't played enough of Spelunky 2 to know the layouts, but in 1 showing up to the ice caves without items is hard as hell, whereas if you start from the beginning there's a pretty decent chance you'll get a cape or a jetpack, maybe spike shoes, that drastically reduce the difficulty.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I listened to the podcast with Derek Yu yesterday. Here are some interesting bits that I remember from it:

•The first area is called "dwelling", not mines/caves/etc

•The ghost jar was originally put in to help speed runners so they wouldn't have to wait for the timer

•The AI on the hired hand has been immensely improved. They spawn from the coffins of characters that you've already unlocked because he wanted to keep the possibility of those coffins spawning in a level. Has something to do with the hardcores resetting their Spelunky saves.

•The 2nd layer idea came from the programmer of Spelunky HD (Andy something). When Derek first called him he just gave him that one idea and they ran with it.

•The "damsels" are now "pets" because it would be weird for the young kid to be saving damsels and hunks. And the dog had sort of become a mascot for the game.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Casey Finnigan posted:

Oh yeah gotta love the moles. You got damaged because you walked near a cloud of dust in a wall that instantaneously popped out.

I was watching LethalFrag as usual and he said the moles are attracted to jumping/other sounds. He also showed a technique he uses to quickly kill them by hitting them with a rock, placing them near a wall, then throwing the rock through them so it bounces off the wall and back through the mole to quickly kill them.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Fartington Butts posted:

I listened to the podcast with Derek Yu yesterday. Here are some interesting bits that I remember from it:

•The first area is called "dwelling", not mines/caves/etc

•The ghost jar was originally put in to help speed runners so they wouldn't have to wait for the timer

•The AI on the hired hand has been immensely improved. They spawn from the coffins of characters that you've already unlocked because he wanted to keep the possibility of those coffins spawning in a level. Has something to do with the hardcores resetting their Spelunky saves.

•The 2nd layer idea came from the programmer of Spelunky HD (Andy something). When Derek first called him he just gave him that one idea and they ran with it.

•The "damsels" are now "pets" because it would be weird for the young kid to be saving damsels and hunks. And the dog had sort of become a mascot for the game.

The damsel in distress trope is also just sexist and dated

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Everyone already used the dogs in spelunky 1 HD anyways.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah it seemed like most people just kinda of gravitated to using the animals anyways over the years

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I've just completely lost my ability to get past the dwelling now

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Fartington Butts posted:

That's weird because it is actually a cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Caesar Saladin posted:

That's weird because it is actually a cat.

https://twitter.com/mcclure111/status/1307068604731535360