Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Goddamn that ocean-looking level looks nice. Fuckin' stoked.

It'll be fun playing this right as it comes out to see people finding secrets. And me probably sucking rear end at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Spelunky is worth it.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Hopefully tonight. Though I was a bit annoyed that it wasn't even showing on the PSN store when I checked a few minutes ago. Probably won't be a huge download at least.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Also lol at this part at the bottom of the Polygon article. loving pedant nerds.

"Polygon posted:

Correction: An earlier version of this review called the monsters in the film Tremors “tremors.” They are in fact called graboids. We regret this error.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Meridian posted:

Really surprised Switch plans haven't been announced.

Sony likely paid for some timed exclusivity.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

8AM.

https://twitter.com/mossmouth/status/1305632476887277570?s=20

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Gonna 'Lunk so hard tomorrow.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Got it downloadin'. TAKE ME TO LUNKY TOWN

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Died to a skelly 48 seconds into my first run. I missed Spelunky.

How do you all feel about default auto-run with R2 to walk? The inverse feels more natural but maybe this will be better in the long run if I practice it...

I had to switch it back to the normal for the tutorial just so I coulld get the controls all back in my head. Switched it back to auto-run after about an hour of playing and my finger thanks me.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I think the bombs are a solid 5x5 square with the bomb being in the middle. Whereas in the first it was 2 horizontally and vertically with one each diagonal direction.

code:
In 2:     In 1:
XXXXX       X
XXXXX      XXX   
XX0XX     XX0XX
XXXXX      XXX
XXXXX       X

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Relevant to thread interests. Gonna give this a listen in a bit.

https://twitter.com/noclipvideo/status/1306980304138063873

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I listened to the podcast with Derek Yu yesterday. Here are some interesting bits that I remember from it:

•The first area is called "dwelling", not mines/caves/etc

•The ghost jar was originally put in to help speed runners so they wouldn't have to wait for the timer

•The AI on the hired hand has been immensely improved. They spawn from the coffins of characters that you've already unlocked because he wanted to keep the possibility of those coffins spawning in a level. Has something to do with the hardcores resetting their Spelunky saves.

•The 2nd layer idea came from the programmer of Spelunky HD (Andy something). When Derek first called him he just gave him that one idea and they ran with it.

•The "damsels" are now "pets" because it would be weird for the young kid to be saving damsels and hunks. And the dog had sort of become a mascot for the game.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Jolo posted:

there was a bat that you swung at just slightly to late

In all of my time playing both Spelunks I still suck complete rear end at this. So either throw poo poo at them or kite them till I can jump on them.

#1 Good at Splunk

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Had a hired hand just pick up the cat which hosed me up with something. Then he whipped the giant spider after I planted a bomb right next to it. Then everything went to poo poo and I died. THANKS rear end in a top hat IM NOT SAVING YOU AGAIN

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

After playing for about an hour about 50% of my runs ended with this:

https://i.imgur.com/SJpJXcm.mp4

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Digital_Jesus posted:

That one I already knew. Something still feels weird about it

Probably just another one of those "hard to rewrite old habits" things. I've gotten killed a number of times because I accidentally let go of a wall-hold.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah it's nice not having to rely 100% on bringing the cat with you to the exit. Especially if it's in a dangerous/blocked off area.

Just had my best run and immediately got splatted by Olmec because I panicked. I also found a pot of gold??.

Dark Jungle music is chill as hell.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/mossmouth/status/1315366787387551744

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I'm sure somebody has mentioned this before; if you kill a scorpion with an arrow it poisons the arrow. :aaa:

Probably works for snakes and any other poison thing I haven't run into yet.

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 20, 2020

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Kiranamos posted:

I do like that the amount of gold you get means you can often just shop normally. I assume it was a way to balance the higher difficulty and reduce the overwhelming benefit to stealing in the first game.

It's nice that it gives you a reason to something in 1-1 besides grab the dog and haul rear end to the bottom.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Man I gotta stop wasting so much time worrying about amassing health in the dwelling. It feels like every mistake I make later on ends up being insta-kill.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

It's the same thing I would do in Splunk1, but it would always get wiped out by the time I had to use the ankh anyways.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

If any of you want to test the difference between Splunk1 and Splunk2 go into Splunk1 and try a run. It feels way different. A lot more rigid. It's hard to describe, but things in Splunk2 feel a lot more free-flowing.

I think this might be responsible for a lot of the freak-out we had when it first launched.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Kinky Earl would like to practice his shibari knots.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Goddamn I've only made it past the first Olmec twice. I'm consistently getting to him but always do something dumb and end up squished.

Y'all are making this latter part of the game sound like complete hell :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

I've lost a good number of runs from force-of-habit picking up (instead of buying) damsels from shops.

I do this a lot in the black market.