Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I am so excited for this one! Never got past Olmec after many tries on 360 after release but started playing again a month ago and have now gotten through 3 times. I want to work on a hell run but it's a significant step up in difficulty... the shopkeepers are dangerous even if you know how they react to you and it's tough to just by an ankh outright also. (I want to buy bombs with my money, all of the bombs, and a cape would be nice too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I'm kinda glad it's not coming out on PC for a short bit. Not because I don't want everyone enjoying the game at a release, but because I don't want to see the game datamined and exposed super quickly. That said, there are so many little things I'm still learning about the original game years later. Snake acid spit doesn't set off explosive boxes. I figured it would but it doesn't affect them.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

HMS Beagle posted:

Always Be Carrying

PUT. THAT. KAPALA. DOWN. The Kapala is for closers only. You think I'm fuckin with you? I am not fuckin with you.

You call yourself a Spelunker, you son of a bitch?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

It's downloading! Aaahhhhgh!

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Fortunately the download is a bit smaller than Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Died 5 seconds after getting to 2-1. I watched an enemy die to a trap and then I went and died to that exact same trap. Genius level move.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Died to a skelly 48 seconds into my first run. I missed Spelunky.

How do you all feel about default auto-run with R2 to walk? The inverse feels more natural but maybe this will be better in the long run if I practice it...

Yeah I can't decide on it either. I know lots of folks run all the time anyway in og Spelunky but I'm finding myself taking a lot of damage from running right into enemies with autorun on.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I like how the journal shows you a diagram of where you acquired each item throughout a run. Also, after you die, you can press right to see a brief description of your behavior on a run. It'll show where you first took damage and things like if you were vegan or law abiding. It's neat!

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Smooshing the shopkeeper with a shield is so hard to resist.

I'm sure many of you know this from Spelunky but just in case you don't, you can pick things up in the shop and the shopkeeper won't attack you until you exit the shop with it. If a shield is in the shop, you can casually move the other items out of the way so that you don't smash them when you smoosh the Shopkeeper.

Brad in Giant Bomb's Quicklook was getting tips from Rorie about doing that but he definitely didn't realize that he could take his time to move items in the shop. He was trying to quickly pickup and kill the shopkeeper in a flurry of inputs.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I'm blowing up so many pet friends. I can't figure out the range and how it works. In Spelunky if there was a solid wall between the explosion and the damsel you could safely bomb without killing her but here it seems to do an area regardless of layout.

I'm also not sure why I've gotten to an exit carrying an idol and I dropped the idol and left without gaining gold for it. It's only happened once. I think a henchman picked up the idol initially maybe that's why? Seems odd if so.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I'm bad at it and every time I get to world 2 I feel like the game megatrolls me in some capacity. I'll walk in with 9 hearts just to find some new 1hk way to die.

I find the volcano to be much easier to get through than the jungle. The jungle is really hard to navigate and is full of traps that are easy to overlook. There's a specific enemy in the jungle that is an absolute bastard to deal with. In the volcano your two big instakills are lava which stands out and spike balls. For me, the spike balls are much easier to spot than the mossy spike blocks in the jungle.

My problem in the volcano area is that I overlook the exit and then go from one end to the other trying to find it before realizing it's right there.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

After blowing up many pets by misjudging bomb range, I took a bit this morn just bombing areas in 1-1 to figure out where bombs actually blow up. Here's what I've got:

Unlike Spelunky 1, picking up a bomb doesn't seem to change how large its explosion range is.

I haven't tested this out with paste. If I had to guess, I'd bet that in addition to having a left and right side, tiles also have a bottom/top and if placed at the top of a tile (like sticking to a tile from underneath) I think it'd probably blow up 2 tiles above and 1 below. In Spelunky 1 you could place a bomb on the seam exactly between two tiles and get a larger explosion and I haven't messed with that yet. It's difficult to get bomb placement exactly where you want it without the paste.

So if you put a bomb up against the right edge here, you're good: [#] [#] [:regd09:]

But not if the layout is like this: [#] [:staredog:]

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Gary Oldman is tough to kill. I've done it by accident but not on purpose with a shotgun.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Surprised this worked out perfectly:

https://youtu.be/ayCSDZmwdt4

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Rewatching it I'm shocked that the juke back towards the bomb just before it explodes didn't kill me. The bomb blows up the block I'm standing on and from testing bomb range it seems like it should've blown up the space I'm in also.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

The Rock Hound and the Axolotl don't create health if you blow em up.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Diephoon posted:

Can't believe you went for the turkey bomb there, you greedy bastard.

I got my first clear just now. :getin:

I wonder if you can take the average time and multiply by your plays to get an estimated time played. Also, 93 plays, 91 deaths, 1 win.... what's the other play?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

parthenocarpy posted:

May be in a currently running game at the time of the screenshot

I think if you end adventure or quick restart it counts as a play but not a death. I have 30 more plays than deaths.

This game is super good. I'm having a great time figuring things out as I go. I loved waking up yesterday and thinking of something that might work on 3-1 and then it totally worked. The discovery in the game is so satisfying.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It is tradition to get killed in a good run then go absolutely apeshit when you respawn and die in the dwelling like 4 times.

Absolutely. That or have an awful start where you have 1 health in 1-1 but then get further than ever in the end.

I just had a wild run where two freak accidents destroyed kali altars and I blew another up just to see what would happen. Good times! She doesn't like it much.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Just figured out that if you walk, the cavemen that are sleeping don't wake up. I wonder if that can be used on a certain vampire that is giving me hell.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hot tip: There's a key and von horsesing in 2-1. Free him and he one shots the vampire for you when you go there.

I've done that and it was rad. With the random helpers in that area, usually one of them can knock him down once. Once he's down it wouldn't be too hard to keep him down until he's dead with a weapon, but the whip alone doesn't cut it. I think my new gameplan without a weapon is grab the goody and gtfo.

Check out this bat juking from his flight path to kill me here. I'm not sure what caused it. They're pretty consistent about flying towards you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEWoOvneAaA

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

After defeating the giant spider, Gronk was filled with bravery. He realized that HE was the main character and I was just a skeleton in disguise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPsetKizY8M

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

The fun thing about 1-1 is no one in the history of Spelunky 2 has ever gotten to the exit without taking damage. I know you think you did one time, but nope, remember? there was a bat that you swung at just slightly to late, that other time, you jumped down just 1 pixel off of bouncing on that skull as the skeleton stood up.

That's how it feels for me, I had a run last night where I used my last bomb in 2-3 and then got all the way to 6-3 without ever getting anymore. So I can do that, but I can't get through 1-1 without getting grazed haha.

First time in area 6. poo poo is wild looking!

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I quite like Israel Blargh!

He made a bunch of tutorials in Spelunky 1 for killing shopkeepers and stuff. HIs shopkeeper murdering is second to none.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoBKG404DEo&

Yeah! I love this guy. He's got a good sense of humor.

"Look, this man is selling a machete. He needs to get chunked. There is no alternative. You see a machete. You chunk the man."

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I'm avoiding as much info as possible to discover on my own but am kinda let down after doing something tricky this morning.

In 3-1 I got Olmec all the way down to the lava below but it didn't seem to do anything. Did I do it wrong or do I need a certain item? I thought maybe I could use one of those holes in the wall near the bottom but nope there either.

I know there has to be something to it, it's way more effort to do that than to just exit the area. What's the deal? Feel free to be cryptic in your response, I'm thinking of items that might work but nothing is coming to mind.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

you can use those holes in the wall, you just have to let him sink a bit

Ah dang it, I waited and couldn't go in and then went back and still couldn't so then I just waited to see what would happen once he fully sunk. That stinks.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Ughhhhh. Had a good run where I got to 4-1 without taking damage and I stupidly thought I could safely play the dice game. Nope, was so busy trying not to hurt myself with the dice or throw them out that I rolled the same one twice.

What's the safest way to actually play? I've been hopping up and throwing down into the shop. I might just pretend they don't exist because I've died way more often than I've gotten any benefit from them.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Don't know why it's taken me this long to figure out that whipped enemies stay stunned longer than enemies that got something thrown into them. I learned the hard way after knocking out a plant with a boomerang. The whipped plant cooperated. The boomeranged plant did not.

How is the jump stun? Same as a whip?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

A poisoned turkey that dies from the poison can still be cooked and eaten for a health point. That's good eatin!

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Peewi posted:

YOU CAN DO WHAT?!

Right? You can do this with all the packs and capes. It's handy if you're trying to shotgun jump up somewhere but have the power pack on. In a pinch you could also use the pack as a bomb if you had a way to detonate it.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Blurgh, 5 minute gauntlet in 6-4 ended in my defeat (and a ton of slowdown)

Question regarding that level:

Do the whip hits actually damage her? I landed 4 or 5. Seems like sticky bombs don't work, should I be baiting a shout and then landing a sticky bomb? The bit underneath her got covered in Scorpions and Yeti which ended up slowing the game down to a crawl which made accurate jumping kinda sketchy. I'm betting a shotgun is the real answer and just bombing the platforms near her to shoot from afar but I didn't have one to use.

What's with the crossbow? I used one for a while and then my arrow broke. I figured I could keep using it but I guess not. This was with the one from the Star Challenge you can use to light torches.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Was a great run overall for me though, first time Ankh, unlocked two characters, completed the Star Challenge and totally wasted the item you get as a reward. Good times.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

yergacheffe posted:

regarding 6-4

Yes the whip does damage her. If I end up with no weapons, my strategy is to bomb the right platform once (it's closer to her head), then from the half damaged platform jump and whip her once while landing on one of her wrist rests, then quickly run away before she shouts. Rinse and repeat. It's tedious cause you only have time to whip her once each time. You can use ropes to speed the process up so you don't have to ride bubbles up every time.

Do the sticky bombs just not attach to her head or something?

Sticky bomb 6-4

If she shouts with one stuck to her head it flies off. When you hit her in the head with a bomb I'm pretty sure it does damage so she shouts after that.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Here's the thing, I'm sure it looked like I accidentally blew myself up but I totally meant to spend 25k to start the star Challenge then ricochet the torch off a wall and into my back to blow myself up. I did it for fun. I totally meant to do exactly that.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Phew, went from maybe getting 3-5 hits in on 6-4 to getting 27 hits in. Got greedy and went for multiple hits when it wasn't safe and died. It's finally shifting over to "possible with a whip but tedious."

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Try #430 gave me my first start to finish victory, wooohhooooo.

I'd bet 100 of them were from dying in 5-1 trying to ride the deathball all the way down.

So, 6-4 is a touch easier if you bring in a shotgun. I've come within 3 hits of a whip victory but no success yet. I just completely forget how to cook a bomb in that room. It's embarrassing.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I got up to 21 health earlier in Volcana by throwing a bunch of bodies on a Kali Altar. I jokingly said aloud that "there's no way I can die here in Volcana, I have so much health, how could anything go wrong?" before dying to lava about 30 seconds later. When the game came out I thought Volcana was easier, now I think it's harder. It's pretty easy to get in an exploded lava situation in Volcana that is nearly impassable whereas the Jungle becomes easier once you can pick out the bear traps and avoid the witch doctors.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Doh, it's easy to stand on Olmec and ignore how high up you are and get stunned hopping off from too great a height. I had Vlad's cape so I could've jumped again and glided but I just figured the jump was gonna be safe.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I've also had Olmec smoosh up against the left-hand wall and a couple of his bombs ended up on too of his head. I've only seen it once but it can happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

After not stepping on a bear trap in a while I just jumped right onto one of the new ones with the gold blip on top. I just didn't register the gold or the trap at all. I knew when I got up to 24 health that I'd definitely end up cursed, crushed, or trapped.