Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

IronicDongz posted:

straight up if I don't have good tools for killing the big yetis I just skip that cave

With practice using the shortcut to 5-1, I ended up settling on a "bomb bowling" technique that works really well. Your bombs will slide all the way to the end on the ice and bounce back just a tad. If you wait for Yeti Queen to get to the end you can blow her up with one bomb. She drops spike shoes and ropes so you can either do the same thing for Yeti King or try to spike shoe him. I just use a bomb for each of them usually. The tricky thing with the King is that if you drop down from the top level you might be close enough to anger him which stops him from walking around. Also they walk super slow so you may want to grab the clover in the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

resistentialism posted:

Bringing a land mine with you saves you a bomb and is even a little easier since it has a much shorter slide. The king will happily walk off the edge and fall into the spikes, too, if you bomb out a 2x gap in his floor.

Oooh that's a great idea. Yeah, fortunately the King will spike himself if you make a drop.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I haven't tested this out yet but I'm curious. If you have an explosive pack on your back while riding a fire dog, does the fire dog make you fire resistant or does the pack blow. My gut says fire dog makes it safe.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Just learned the hard way that if a power pack is close behind you and you fire a shotgun even though the pellets and the blast don't hit it the recoil sets it off. I guess that's what happened. I watched the replay and I still don't know why it explodes.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Is there anything to the "Dead are Restless" levels secret wise?

In Spelunky HD you could get a shotgun and enter Vlad's Castle but in 2 all I've seen is the interior cave with the ghost jar. Maybe there's a ghost shop there somewhere?

I'll say that probably 9 out of 10 deaths for me are either instant kill like spikes/bear trap/smooshed or stun-lock kills from any number of sources. I've noticed that I almost never lose health until I'm dead. I think it stands out because it's easier to get a bunch of health in 2 but also way easier to die from a single mistake.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Diephoon posted:

You get extra turkey spawns in later levels if you do, which can add up to a lot of health or more importantly, more sacrifice points for a kapala.

I kept thinking that was happening when I'd see a bunch of turkeys in the water area. Glad to see it wasn't just me making up a reason for it that isn't related.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Olmec phase 3 is fairly tough from a clean slate. Still trying to decide the best way to do it. Super easy to get smashed.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Really bummed that my trip to Abzu was thwarted by a missed rope grab. I don't know why I didn't grab it but ended up getting spiked. I've screwed up so many attempts by either forgetting the thing in 4-2 or using up too much time and getting ghosted. It'd be nice to have a guaranteed clover on 4-3 because that process takes a bit of time. I got my 4th clear though!

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Did whipping armed bear traps get changed? I just whipped one twice and all I did was knock off the gold on top. I nudged forward and got snapped after two unsuccessful whips.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I got Qilin!

It's fire attack could not kill the Lamassu in time. So close to finally seeing a new area. The struggle continues.

That 6-3 was one of the nastiest I've seen. Electric traps everywhere. I felt like I was being careful but clearly I wasn't careful enough. Should've used a few more bombs to clear them out and maybe leave the mount behind for safety. Heh "safety". Yeah.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

Spelunky 2's much lengthier runs do change some of the design dynamics. It's a lot easier to laugh off the chaos with a much smaller time commitment per run. There wasn't anything in the original like the waiting you do for the 1-4 boss or Olmec. They aren't super tedious fights but they are speed bumps that really change the flow. It feels a lot more disheartening to die to something aggravating past Olmec and know you have to play mostly on autopilot through Olmec just to really start trying again.

This is absolutely why I find Spelunky 2 more frustrating even though I'm still enjoying the game. Runs in HD were shorter and there weren't any parts that drastically slowed down progress. 2 has more levels, you can spend a bit of extra time in each of them, and Olmec can take 5 minutes or more depending on your loadout. Dying after 40+ minutes usually means I'm done for the night whereas I would die in the Temple in HD and go for another because it was closer to 30 minutes in.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I think they added scaffolding around the skull stacks to make it harder to kill yourself from a cascade of falling skulls.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I wouldn't mind each of the main areas swapping to 3 stages instead of 4. Make mole man a chance to appear instead of everytime? Obviously it'd require some reworking because of how certain people/layouts only occur on certain stages. It wouldn't fundamentally change the flow of the game but would speed up the overall time.

Spelunky HD is super weird to go back to now. Even thought I've played hundreds of hours of it, going back after a bunch of Spelunky 2 is funky. The characters and enemies all look too small. The levels feel way too large and open. It's surprisingly unfamiliar for something I spent so much time looking at prior to this September.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Question regarding a special item in 6-2:

This morning I had an Ushabti that said wooden and I grabbed one of the darker brown statues that looked like it had wood grain and that was correct. This evening I was asked for a wooden one again and I searched the room back and forth for the entire five minutes because there wasn't a dark brown one that matched the description. While evading the ghost I grabbed a light brown one that matched the other two criteria and it worked in the next stage. What gives? Are the light and dark brown Ushabti all wooden? I thought the light brown were clay.

I died in the next stage to a shopkeeper at the exit and it made me extremely sad.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I see what the deal is. The "simple wooden" one looks like it's a different type to me. At least I know now. Thanks for that!

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

Yeah on my very next run I got all the way to the lasers and ping ponged with the flying mount.

:( My condolences. I thought I'd definitely screw that part up the first time I got there but I'm 2/2. I've absolutely jinxed myself by saying this though.

I got to 7-4 for the second time and died about 5 seconds in. Basically had two paths available and I picked the one that ended in certain death.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

I'm actually 0/2. I'll get it eventually, I guess. I made it further with a jetpack and ropes than with either attempt with the flying mount. I just wish I could practice without spending 30 minutes to get there.

Yeah, I've considered picking up the PC version to use mods to practice the really tricky bits. It feels like it's not in the spirit of the game but also some of them shits is fuggin hard.

Tempted to use it to practice 4-3 secret: The Abzu Ankh skip. There's a few new methods using sticky bombs and ropes or dropping 4 bombs on the platform but I'd like to practice without spending 20 minutes each time.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Big Scary Owl posted:

New update out on pc it seems

What does Olmec do now?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

There’s a fourth stage for Olmec where you have to roll dice to actually fill the final pit with lava to melt it. If you roll a double-1 “snake eyes” you get poisoned. Also you can’t climb into one of the bottom holes to reach the ankh until you melt Olmec.

Having the lava already there was easy mode, this sounds way better.

Sometimes this game gives you a really bad seed. Had a run earlier where I got nearly through Tide Pool with only a skeleton key and a parachute (and Vlad's Cape) but like drat. Also I got the skeleton key after 2-1 so yeah.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Holy poo poo I got that second ending done! Woooooo. The challenge in that last area really helps because it sets you up with so many ropes and bombs. I feel like it'd be much harder without sticky bombs, fortunately I had them.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I've only been in there once. I've watched Israel Blargh on youtube do it a few times and he blows up the two spawn points near the entrance and waits it out, killing whatever is nearby. That's what I ended up doing and it went smoothly.

Yeah you need the result of that room to pass 7-4. I ignored it and just grabbed the goodie bag.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I think I got lucky by not having any shotgun blasts reflected or witch doctors nearby. I'm dreadful at avoiding getting cursed by them in the jungle. Somehow I always end up getting cursed even if I'm being extra cautious.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I think the fire whip from the power pack should hurt Yang. That's what I think. I want to walk into Yang's shop and dispense fiery lashes on all within it.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i beat the secret hard boss today

Good job! It's not easy! I've had that final level be a really hard to navigate mess and other times it's wide open with very few traps. Did you have sticky bombs? After I beat it I was thinking of how much more difficult it would be having to time whipping bombs off of an edge instead.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I survived the lava trap in Tide Pool and kept the ankh for the first time by using a teleporter only to die to ghosts in 7-1 AFTER getting the light arrow :negative:

It feels like a mistake that there isn't a clover in that room. It takes a solid chunk of time and carrying an item through those levels is a pain in the rear end for obvious reasons.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Any idea what happened here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkrRouJS-Kk

I teleported by accident because I hit jump again too soon trying to hop up on the ledge outside of the shop. After that, I can't tell what happens. It looks like I teleport to the left side of the lava pit, but then my pack explodes. I guess it teleports again and explodes up and to the left. There's a little spark in the lava when I teleport so maybe it teleported me into the lava and then away to prevent damage?

I need Kevin Costner to diagram this one out for me.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Just botched a run after I dropped the sword in 4-2 and couldn't find it again for 2 minutes. It was behind a piece of coral and not where I thought I'd left it. Hooray for lack of short term memory. I saved the video clip on ps4 to rewatch and see where the hell Is set it down. Managed to squeak out a victory with 1 health left after getting poisoned and then ping ponged around by an electric trap.

Now I'm wondering if it's possible to pause a run, watch a recorded clip, and then continue the run on ps4. It feels kinda cheaty but drat I should've remembered where I left the sword.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

It feels really weird to go back to the first one. 1's art style is darker with more shadows. The movement feels bouncier in the first game, for example if there's a one block gap in Spelunky 1 you briefly "dip" down into it while in Spelunky 2 you run across like there's no gap. It's a lot easier to accumulate health in Spelunky 2 but one hit kills feel more common. I like the music more in 1 because there's more variety. I like the areas in Spelunky 2 more overall, but I miss how many "level feelings" there are in 1. Several of the level feelings in 2 don't really add as much. In 1 you knew that if you got a "Dead are Restless" level you could find a free shotgun and an entrance to Vlad's castle. In 2 the feeling just means there'll be a cave with the ghost pot in it. Maybe there's more I haven't figured out with it, but I haven't found a handy shotgun in 2 or anything special.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Glare Seethe posted:

There's been a lot of talk about redesigning the Olmec fight, but what about (mid-game spoiler) Osiris? Optimally you just stand there for ten minutes shooting ropes and collecting them. You never have to take any risk aside from dodging Apep here and there. There's no excuse to waste bombs, and if you don't have paste you don't really have a choice anyway. I appreciate giving us another way to do it, but it took me fifteen minutes in my recent run (I only had three ropes)... Surely that needs a look.

I almost never go that way because the other way is so much easier to go through. You lose your carried item and your back item and also the area itself is harder. It's a neat area but drat those tradeoffs.

After missing the drill in my run last night I found out the hard way that the cloned sword doesn't do the trick.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

resistentialism posted:

The tidepools has a ton of free tries at random loot, too, if you A: clone the fish gift and B: know the gambling trick.

Wait, there's a trick? I have only gotten 5 wins once and I didn't make it to neobabo after.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Diephoon posted:

If you throw the dice against a wall and hit it with your whip before it hits the ground you're guaranteed to roll a 6 or a 1

That rocks. Thanks!

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

I personally never use the backwhip

Join ussssss. The backswing is really good especially if stuff is above you.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Spoilers for 5-1 secret area and final final area.

The Mothership is the secret area in the Ice Caves there's not another one or a different one in the Cosmic Ocean. I don't think there's anything special there aside from the Queen, the Plasma Cannon, and the Shopkeeper Clones. No shortcuts through the CO beyond using the alien compass to know where each door is. The Cosmic Ocean just goes and goes until you get to 7-99. I don't want to spoil 7-99 but I'd just say to not get your hopes up.

That final final area is somewhere I'd like to get to once, but it doesn't look interesting enough to try to do over and over. I think it's more for players that are determined to do the longest challenging run in the game.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

hosed up the ankh save in 4-3 for the hundredth time. Then I was flustered and went in the normal exit. Then in the ice caves I threw a bomb while too close to the pixie girl and she killed me. Great run.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Acerbatus posted:

I was playing co op with a friend, I had a shotgun, he picked me up, I fired it and we both died instantly.

Uh, what

Sounds like you were holding it backwards.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Do Tusk's guards work differently than other armed enemies? I roped one in 6-3 and he didn't drop anything. Then a sec later he had a shotgun. Watching the replay I don't see a shotgun pop out at any point. I guess it's "holstered" until he pulls it out or dies?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Came close to getting my first sub 10 min run tonight. Got to Tiamat with ropes, a bomb, and a shotgun with 30 seconds to spare but my bomb on the side platform was too far from the middle of the platform and left a block in the path of shotgunning her from the wall. :(

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Did the recent patch have any interesting changes? I got my first Speedlunky run done and haven't played since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

In some ways Spelunky 2 reminds me of Hotline Miami 2 in that both games difficulty-wise pick up where the previous game left off. I appreciate that the game has some incredibly hard goals even though I likely won't ever even see the final area. It's cool, not in there for me, it's there for people who want an especially difficult challenge in an already really difficult game.