Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Stoked beyond belief. Spelunky is just masterful design. I wonder if this one will not have any bloat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Yeah, Spelunky 2 is not really an improvement, more like a huge expansion. There's more of everything in here. I can see the appeal for players who beat the original on the reg but would absolutely not recommend starting with 2.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

If Spelunky 2 was a board game it'd be a Big Box edition with all the extra stuff added on top of a really solid design. It's 'what if Spelunky but more'. Someone itt said that the game adds too much while not changing the original game enough which was on point. There is no balance to it. I'd get it if it was something like Crushing Difficulty DLC but it's not.

The music's better and I appreciate some if the qol stuff but it's nowhere near as good as the original.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

I feel Spelunky 2 wastes my time a lot. Something I would never say about Spelunky HD. It's longer, way more repetitive and kinda hateful towards the player. Kaizo Spelunky was what I called it in my steam review and there were like three idiots going "git gud" in the comments.

Uninstalled it, won't get back to it anytime soon. Too late to get a refund.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

u_s_eh posted:

I like Hades well enough but it seems like a conventional grind gussied up with great storytelling. Right now it's more fun for me than Spelunky 2, although I'm sure that's mostly because I've already sunk 150 hours into Spelunky 2 and only 30 or so into Hades.

Dwelling is so monotonous...it's hard to concentrate when you're doing the same levels over and over again. 1-1 you either methodically collect cash or speedrun to get to the 1-2 shop. 1-2 and 1-3 are always turkey man or eye. 1-4 is the worst of all. Just a huge drag.

I miss stuff like snake pit.

Regardless, I'll still do every daily challenge until I get all the achievements, dammit

Never got into Hades. Noita is my jam now. People itt are right that roguelite scene changed a lot since Spelunky HD. There's so much great stuff to choose from now.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Kiranamos posted:

Is Noita good, the claims of a physics based enjoyment is kinda suspicious since Spelunky 2 already perfected immersive, engaging and worthwhile liquid physics.

It's fantastic. It's like a roguelike Liero but with a wizard character. The wand customisation system is goddamn crazy, you can mix spells and effects. The physics system is all about making huge explosions or flooding everything with toxic sludge. Fantastic, freak-folky music, too.

And it's goon-made iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Verviticus posted:

should be more level feelings, locking down 1-2 and 1-3 with yang and key and 1-4 with the quillback makes the dwelling too repetitive, olmec isnt an interesting fight and theres really no reason to go to duat instead of abzu are the big ones

thing is, none of those really detract from s2 being an amazing game

It's perfectly fine to enjoy bad games and dislike good ones.