Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Escape Goat posted:

Playing Spelunky 2 is fun and also bewildering.

I'm good enough at 1 to regularly beat hell, but I am getting completely wrecked. Only got to 2-1 once so far. I'm also wanting to rush through because I'm so curious to see the new content, which leads to me getting walloped by arrow traps etc.

Feels good to be a noob again. Going to try to avoid spoilers for as long as possible and see what other surprises await.

Just generally speaking, without spoilers, the level layouts seem a _lot_ more antagonistic, whereas each level in 1 had a pretty clear "default path". I'm finding myself needing bombs and ropes just to get to the exit.

I've been watching a lot of LethalFrag on twitch and he said Spelunky 2 is like starting Spelunky 1 in the temple, which I agree with. I've only been able to watch since I'm waiting for PC release but the new enemy types are brutal, and traps are a lot more common. I'm looking forward to dying horribly over and over in two weeks.

Based on what I've seen him do though I can say there's a lot more hearts available thanks to turkeys, and you can consistently get 3 bombs from the Quillback mini-boss if you take the time to chuck things at him til he dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

poemdexter posted:

I finally finished the last shortcut and made it to the last boss twice, but it's super unclear what you're supposed to do to win. Nothing I was doing was causing any damage as far as I could see. :confused:

Did you hit it in the face repeatedly?

Just witnessed a korean streamer, jmjdoc pull off a flawless shop steal using a single rope.
(character unlock spoiler)
https://clips.twitch.tv/SquareDreamyButterflyPogChamp

Frag's proposed technique for shop stealing is running out of the shop with an item and jumping over the incoming shot.
https://clips.twitch.tv/SwissUgliestPorpoiseDoritosChip

I haven't seen anyone do the old "bait the shopkeeper to the edge of the shop and place a bomb outside" strat, and from what I've heard in twitch chat the old jumping whip strat doesn't work anymore.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 17, 2020

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Brasseye posted:

If you throw a bomb from exactly the right distance the shopkeeper will shoot it and itll go off in his face.

I don't think its worth it in this game though to be honest, they seem a lot quicker on the trigger than before

I still think it's going to be worth depending on what's in the shop/what you have when you get there. It's definitely riskier than in Spelunky 1. Bomb bags (but not boxes?) and jet/hover/power packs explode if shot. I've also seen shopkeepers set up ambush points for the player in later levels after robbing one shop. Shopkeepers are slower but they seem better at finding you, going up/down ladders and such.

e: Making the black market into a sub-level has interesting ramifications, since you can pre-aggro the shopkeepers before you even get in there. Potential gains are huge though, since the guaranteed clover makes it so you can clear it out without worrying as much about the ghost timer. And theoretically you could get a kali altar on the outside of the black market and bring all the shopkeeper bodies to it. Unless you can't bring bodies in/out of sub-levels? I'm not sure if that's possible.

Just saw this sketchy as hell black market run
https://clips.twitch.tv/EnjoyableAcceptableGoblinLeeroyJenkins

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 17, 2020

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Are there ways to manipulate lava? I think I've seen someone whip it out of the way.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

poemdexter posted:

so do I need to sacrifice myself on the altar? I bombed myself near the altar but that did nothing but use up the ankh. Mad I wasted that good run for nothing.

The area around the altar is designed for you to drop yourself onto the altar. Get high enough and you'll stun yourself on landing, which will sacrifice you.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo the way this game manages to kill you sometimes is astounding

Level 6-2 spoilers - embedding removed
(loud audio warning - player yelling)
https://clips.twitch.tv/BrightAuspiciousMagpieDoubleRainbow

The UFO shot an olmite beneath it, the olmite's helmet reflected the beam, killing the UFO and killing the player.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Casey Finnigan posted:

Oh yeah gotta love the moles. You got damaged because you walked near a cloud of dust in a wall that instantaneously popped out.

I was watching LethalFrag as usual and he said the moles are attracted to jumping/other sounds. He also showed a technique he uses to quickly kill them by hitting them with a rock, placing them near a wall, then throwing the rock through them so it bounces off the wall and back through the mole to quickly kill them.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I broke down and bought the game instead of waiting for PC release.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AstuteEnergeticMuleBrokeBack

MOLES

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
(4-4 spoiler)
Expect power pack bombs to be...powerful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crG0AMXy9Xw

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Wait you can choose? I thought it was randomly warping me when I left 1-4

The left exit goes to the Jungle, the right exit goes to Volcana

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Casey Finnigan posted:

So can anybody explain why the dice shopkeepers will just randomly flip out at me and kill me when I try to play their dice game? It happens all the time and I have no possible idea what is going on.

I think that happened to me today too. I took a clip and slowed it down. Someone in a discord I posted it in said I got hit by the zombie but that doesn't explain why the bodyguard decided to shoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk6nsn0MTpg

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Can't believe you went for the turkey bomb there, you greedy bastard.

I got my first clear just now. :getin:

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

No Wave posted:

Does 91 deaths and a .01% winrate mean there were 900 restarts?

I definitely didn't restart that many times so maybe it's a bug :shrug:

Here's one of the spelunkiest deaths I've experienced, featuring helping hands.
(2-1 spoiler)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rjco8UM5RM

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Jolo posted:

I wonder if you can take the average time and multiply by your plays to get an estimated time played. Also, 93 plays, 91 deaths, 1 win.... what's the other play?

Probably the times I hit restart and then backed out of the run to change characters.

Brasseye posted:

unless you just mean blowing up surplus turkeys, which is sensible

Yeah the efficiency play is using turkeys to access things you normally can't get to without spending ropes via double jumping, flap gliding, and yoshi dismounting. Then ideally you'd be able to stack them all up (minus one if you want to bring a healthy turkey through the exit) and cook them all with a torch, power whip, or a single bomb that you placed on top of some buried gems to get even more value.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 22, 2020

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Jolo posted:

I just had a wild run where two freak accidents destroyed kali altars and I blew another up just to see what would happen. Good times! She doesn't like it much.

So far I've only destroyed two Kali altars, both times were from the golden idol pillar trap falling on them from the room above. The second time it happened it spawned a vampire which resulted in me getting a free cape.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

BurningBeard posted:

Does anyone else think this was made in direct opposition to the top level players from 1?

One particular thing I noticed is thorns in the ceilings over spike pits in the jungle. In Spelunky 1, you could just hold up and right/left to jump from vine to vine to guarantee you make it across a spike pit. If you try that in Spelunky 2, you'll end up hitting your head on some thorns and knocking yourself into the pit.

Spelunky 2 is much denser than Spelunky 1. At any given time there's a lot more interlocking mechanics. As a huge fan of Spelunky 1 I'm loving it but I can't imagine how punishing Spelunky 2 must be for players who are new to the series.

My last session today ended with me getting hosed over by helping hands. I really should stop playing with them but I love to watch them go nuts trying to kill enemies.

(Volcana secret area spoiler)

https://youtu.be/vAhcCpVoe-M

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Brasseye posted:

That being said I am not great at this game (furthest I have ever got is 6-3 after playing a LOT over the last week) and that is about the only thing I would change. The game is just so incredibly well designed. Something about the combination of platforming skill and knowledge of traps/enemies needed to make progress is incredibly satisfying. There are a lot of roguelikes I have enjoyed with a heavy focus on leveling up between runs and getting a bit further each time but none of them have really grabbed me like this.

I think you should give yourself more credit. Most gamers who pick up this game will probably not make it as far as 6-3. The satisfaction you refer to in your post is from your knowledge and skill levelling up as a player.

Here's my favorite death from today's morning session. I had no idea things would turn out like this.
Level 6-2 spoilers
https://youtu.be/t_VNlnknh50

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I decided to give random online co-op a go. I was expecting it not to be good but OH MAN is co-op with randoms bad. People just blast through the level, don't collect treasure, ignore the key and chest, constantly break the ghost urn, and don't give people a chance to turn in a pet for HP. Dead players can control ghosts that can push items around and if charged, freeze things. This is only used to troll your team by pushing them around, pushing their bombs, pushing things out of the shop to force an illegal run, etc.

It's cool they added online MP but under no circumstances would I recommend trying to play with random people unless you only want to experience a clusterfuck. I had a team make it to Volcana once and I have no idea how we got that far.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Do you even need to fight (Volcana secret area spoiler) Vlad if you don't want his cape? Pretty sure you can just yoink the crown and run away if you want to.

I had one run where Van Helsing showed up in (post Olmec) the Temple and gave me an Alien Compass. Not sure what that does.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Brasseye posted:

Has anyone been to (6-2 or 3 spoiler) Mama's place (I think its called) in neo Babylon? I poked my head in there out of curiosity and immediately was shot to death by some jerks behind the door without getting time to react... would love to know what the deal is as I'm not going there again until I've beaten the game

I've seen LethalFrag go in there without realizing he was going to aggro the whole place. As you noticed, it's full of dudes with guns. I think there's precooked turkeys as well? And if you manage to clear it out there's a Kali altar in the basement for all the bodies. It looked like there was another are below the sublevel but I'm not sure.

e: Looks like this is how you get in legally. roll the dice at Madam Tusk's until she invites you to her pleasure palace.
https://clips.twitch.tv/BoringAlertTermiteCurseLit

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 24, 2020

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

SeANMcBAY posted:

I've been ignoring everything from this game since I'm waiting for the PC release (hoping for the possibility of a Switch release as well). How is it compared to the first game? I got every achievement on Spelunky 1 and love it. How's the music? That's the only thing I didn't really care for in the first game.

I enjoyed the music in Spelunky 1, I think 2's is better. Same with the gameplay. Get ready to die horribly in new and exciting ways!

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

VHGS posted:

Osiris is honestly pretty easy to kill with just whip (though it does take forever), so as long as you can find a way to do something to A2bis it's no big deal.

Temple Secrets I've seen a streamer take Anubis II into the path of the giant snake in Duat to kill him. Not every layout will let you do that without bombing, of course.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Casey Finnigan posted:

So can anybody explain why the dice shopkeepers will just randomly flip out at me and kill me when I try to play their dice game? It happens all the time and I have no possible idea what is going on.

This happened again to me today. The problem is I rolled the same die twice. Also, if you have a throwing mitt, make sure you don't throw dice into the repulsor or they'll go straight out of the shop area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owLf7moX1gI

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Hihohe posted:

Has anyone tried out the multiplayer? is it in any good?

Online is fairly busted for many people at the moment based on what I've read and the fact that it's not going to be immediately available on the PC version.

I put maybe 45 minutes into playing with randoms online and it was a bad experience. Most people are not very good at this game and you cannot communicate with them (which is good and bad). I think having online multiplayer will be great for coordinated playing with people you meet on discord who are willing to put effort into playing the game well.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
brag posting

Got my first 7-4 clear this morning!

Got a decent showing on my first daily run as well (spoiler character omitted)

I expect the insane million dollar runners to move me down the leaderboard but for now I'm proud :)

Kinda bummed they changed the (tide pool secret spoiler) lava draining technique that people were using to not consume their ankhs. Apparently you can still survive but it requires more bombs and ropes. I assume you'll want to bring a jetpack/vlad cape as well but I haven't pulled off the new technique yet.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 27, 2020

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Jolo posted:

That's how it feels for me, I had a run last night where I used my last bomb in 2-3 and then got all the way to 6-3 without ever getting anymore.

I think this is why I'm going to prioritize Jungle over Volcana most of the time. If you didn't know, there are three sisters locked in sub levels in 2-2, 2-3, and 2-4. If you find them all and free them by talking to them they will give you a 12 bomb box at the Olmec stage.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Yes, it's something you have to do every run if you want the reward. Definitely worth the payout. Sometimes even the black market is devoid of bombs so any way to consistently get them is huge, including the bag that drops from Quillback.

e: Had a run go off the rails today so I decided to try something I've always wanted to.

(star challenge/tide pool spoilers)
I cloned the giant fish
https://clips.twitch.tv/BoringHyperSowPRChase

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 28, 2020

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Boinks posted:

My favorite Spelunky 2 streamer is taking a long break to have a baby or something. Anyone got any recommendations? He kept talking about a good player named Mouth but I can't find anything.

https://www.twitch.tv/lethalfrag
Been following Frag for a long time. He plays a lot of roguelikes and has over 1000 hours in Spelunky 1. I appreciate his philosophy on having fun "in the moment" and owning all of your mistakes in the game.

https://www.twitch.tv/grandpoobear
Big Mario community guy, hosts a Fall Guys tournament. Addicted to Spelunky. He's in the credits of Spelunky 2.

https://www.twitch.tv/nokduro
Korean streamer. Wasn't familiar with this guy before Spelunky 2 came out, think I read somewhere he does a lot of Mario Maker 2 stuff. I saw him (END GAME SPOILERS) ascend to the Sunken City without the Qilin mount I clipped it. (SERIOUSLY END GAME SPOILERS) https://clips.twitch.tv/SpineyEndearingGrassHassanChop

https://www.twitch.tv/bananasaurus_rex
Platforming guy, plays a lot of I Want To Be The Guy fangames. Supposedly Tina's journal page is a reference to him since he used her skin when he did the first recorded solo eggplant run in Spelunky 1. Also in the credits of Spelunky 2.

https://www.twitch.tv/diephoon
Shameless self plug, I started recording my gameplay because I wanted to be able to watch replays. Being able to chat and share all of my stupid deaths is a bonus. Right now I'm streaming every day from 8am to 12pm EST.

Cnidaria posted:

Lmao just had my first hilarious bullshit death

when i left the yeti cave in the ice caverns a yeti was immediately waiting for me and he proceeded to throw me onto a kali alter, sacrificing myself

it was such a good run too

You are invincible for a second after entering/leaving a sublevel. Sometimes you gotta act fast.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Sockser posted:

I haven't made it past like, 4-2, what is the super utility of spike shoes that I'm not aware of?

The only specific utility of spike shoes I can think of is they stop you from sliding around in the Ice Caves. Spike shoes are also powerful option for killing strong enemies. I'd rather have paste than spike shoes any day, though.

e: Oh yeah, totally forgot spike/jump boots protect you from thorns, they're terrific there.
\/

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 29, 2020

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/mossmouth/status/1310776440422506497

PC Release in 10 hours, 6am PDT / 9am EST

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Does shopkeeper anger work the same way in this game? In Spelunky 1 they stayed angered for your whole run, right? I swear I've escaped angry shopkeepers in 2 and interacted peacefully with further ones, but maybe my memory is just bad?

If you steal from shopkeepers from this game then complete a level without injuring one you should get forgiven. If they take damage or die from any source though they'll stay mad at you. Not true I guess, see below :shrug:

Einwand posted:

So now that this is out on PC, is there any shopkeeper mugging method that still works? My old preference of jump whipping doesn't do it anymore.

Throw a rope while standing right on top of the shopkeeper and they'll get stunned. They'll also drop their shotgun as well as a key if they have a locked backroom attached to their shop. If you want to steal but leave the shopkeeper alive, stack all of the items you to pick up before you stun the shopkeep. If you're holding an item like a jetpack while you stun the shopkeeper, you'll automatically equip it as soon as you throw the rope. If you just want to make the run spicy then pick up the shopkeeper's shotgun right after you stun him and shoot him with it. Make sure you avoid shooting bombs/backpacks because they will explode.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 29, 2020

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Hihohe posted:

I just realized that when the Horny Toads are aggroed but they arnt rolling. They squirt blood out their eyes

thats some attention to detail

This is specifically after they've taken two damage. They can't roll anymore and they squirt blood.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

IronicDongz posted:

if you just wanted the same game again I'm sorry for your lots but some of us wanted the sequel to kick things up a notch after we'd already spent a lot of time playing the first game.

I'm in this camp. I'm almost to 300 plays with 2 clears and I'm still having a blast. Can't wait to go again tomorrow and see what hilarious deaths are in store.

Today I got hit by a boomerang, whipped and picked up the thrower, then took him down to a Kali shrine below, only for the boomerang to follow him all the way down and hit me, leading to a self sacrifice.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I think the "new classic" is getting rolled by a lizard in a small space for all of your HP.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Tips for moles:

Have something to throw at them or throw them after stunning them. They have 3 hp and you can quickly reduce that to zero by jumping on them/whipping them then throwing an arrow at them, throwing a rock at them repeatedly, placing their stunned body into a corner and throwing a rock to double hit them, throwing a corpse at them, throwing their stunned bodies into spikes, placing their stunned bodies next to tiki traps, throwing a stunned caveman/lizard/mole at another mole, etc.
On that note: if you see a campfire, hit it and you'll get a lit torch. Lit torches do 2 damage when thrown.
Keep in mind that enemies stunned by throws wake up faster than enemies stunned by being jumped on or getting whipped.

Remember moles can't burrow through wood and position yourself accordingly. If a mole falls or gets tossed into an entirely wood area they are stuck there. Assume if you bypass a mole on the upper levels they will follow you down through the dirt. If you have time and a way to kill them quickly, consider baiting them out of the ground and killing them before moving on. Having a mole burrowing above you when you need to make dangerous jumps can put you in really sketchy positions.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Digital_Jesus posted:

Another thing Ive noticed is the decision was made to gently caress with movement. The climbing glove feels “Off” most notably.

You need to hold left/right to stick to the wall now. This is actually an improvement since you only stick when you want to after you get used to how it handles.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

goferchan posted:

I am pretty sure I've lost curse without doing either of those. Maybe saving a certain number of pets? But it happened

once you know what can give it to you though, it's not too hard to avoid. Pretty brutal though, I think I had like nine health the first time I got it

Curse: make a living sacrifice to Kali. Can't confirm for myself if that's the specific cure, just heard it from LethalFrag.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Jolo posted:

Ah dang it, I waited and couldn't go in and then went back and still couldn't so then I just waited to see what would happen once he fully sunk. That stinks.

Pretty sure there's no requirement to use the (Olmec fight) holes above the lava to enter the sub-level. so I can't imagine why you couldn't get in. There is an issue if you drop Olmec below the exits on the right side. Namely that there are no holes to enter in that part of the arena unless that has been changed recently.

e:
Here's the clip of me landing where there are no sub level entrances.
https://www.twitch.tv/diephoon/clip/FlirtyTrustworthyFriseeAMPTropPunch

Is this what happened to you? It sounds like you're saying you were level with the holes in the wall, in which case you should have been able to enter them by pressing R1 (or whatever the PC equivalent button is)

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 1, 2020

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I get got by a bear trap once in a while when I'm going too fast but now that I know specifically to check behind ferns it's rare. You can set them off and use them to clear out troublesome enemies as well by dropping it in their path. Just train yourself to watch every step.

e: I'm up to about 300 plays now and I'm pretty sure less than 10 of my deaths have been to bear traps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Hihohe posted:

Hey i got a question theres that one part of the tide pool that has the sea of lava above. as far I could see there was no way out as i tried bombing everything for an opening. Is there anyway to not die at that part?

Tide pool secret you can still save your ankh but it requires mobility items (jetpack/vlad cape), lots of bombs to clear out the surrounding area so the lava has room to pool, and a number of ropes depending on how mobile you are/whether or not you have a climbing glove.

I've been able to execute it once successfully so far. https://clips.twitch.tv/HardCallousTildeJebaited

Help Im Alive posted:

I've beaten the game and I was just wondering about some things I ran into in some of my runs

- What's with the big turtle who crawls around on the wall? I ran into him on one run but could find anything to do, and also can't remember how I actually got to his stage
- What's with the different exits in Olmec's stage? They both seem to lead to the same level?
- What's with Madame Tusk? I stole her treasure in one run, but in another it was already gone. Is it based on whether you meet the woman who's like "Are you good enough to steal from Madame Tusk?" Also is there anything special about her mansion/party? I only saw it for the first time in my most recent run and killed everyone but didn't find much
- What's with the Moai head/the altar in the Ice Caves? I killed myself the first time I reached the level thinking it a step to reaching the city of gold like in the first game but nothing happened
- What's with the sword? I was able to pick it up on every run except for my most recent one (I think I missed the black market so do you need the hedjet/royal crown?)
- What's with the top of Tiamat's stage? I died the first time I reached her because I couldn't figure out how to damage her and then died trying to get past the lasers

Partial spoilers.
Turtle You access his stage by draining the lava pool in 4-3 then taking the secret exit that was obscured by the lava. You defeat him for a special item.
Olmec There are two exits, the one on the second level down leads to Tide Pool, the one on the third level down leads to the Temple of Anubis.
Tusk Not really sure about this one. I think if you break into a shopkeeper's back room and steal from them then the thief appears? Maybe Yang's back room works too? I've never met the thief. You can be invited to Tusk's party if you roll a 7 five times in her dice game at the Tide Pool. It's hard to do this without a clover for extra time. You can also enter her party uninvited which will aggro all of her guards.
Either way the party is full of turkey and royal jelly for large HP gains. It also has an altar in the basement to sacrifice all of the npcs in there if you want.

Purple Altar You bring an eggplant to it.
Sword You pull it out while wearing the Hedjet or the Crown.
End boss Above her stage is a way to another stage.

Full spoilers regarding the above.
use Excalibur to open up a spot in the middle of the turtle's back, keep hitting that spot until he dies. If you have a ton of bombs you can open up his back and beat him with other weapons/more bombs but it takes a long time. The item he drops is needed to identify which statue you need to bring with you from 6-2 to 6-3 to spawn a special mount, the Qilin. This mount can fly forever, which you can use to get past the lasers above Tiamat.
The purple altar will transform an eggplant into an eggplant child. If you bring this child to 7-1 and place it in the mother statue's arms you'll access another secret area, Eggplant World. The child can be left with Waddler and retrieved on 7-1 to make things a bit easier.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 2, 2020