Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Fartington Butts posted:

Sony likely paid for some timed exclusivity.

Great good job but in that case put a pre-order or unlock time in your store so I know whether I'm calling out of work tomorrow or Wednesday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Died to a skelly 48 seconds into my first run. I missed Spelunky.

How do you all feel about default auto-run with R2 to walk? The inverse feels more natural but maybe this will be better in the long run if I practice it...

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Ok I’ve triggered (assuming it’s something I did) the ghost early several times (supposed to be at 3 mins right?)

What did I do?

E: I se the ghost face on that pot now..

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 15, 2020

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

PopZeus posted:

I am getting constantly owned on level 1 and I’m loving it!

:same:

I very much dislike these horny ball lizards

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Hooray I got to 2-1. Boomerang is a great weapon at least on world 1 where I can hang from ladders and snipe.

Died promptly on 2-1, was not prepared for conveyer belts

Then splatted on 1-1 of the daily.

Time for a break!

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Escape Goat posted:

Just generally speaking, without spoilers, the level layouts seem a _lot_ more antagonistic, whereas each level in 1 had a pretty clear "default path". I'm finding myself needing bombs and ropes just to get to the exit.

It’s been a long time since I played 1, but this feels offset a bit by bombs and ropes seeming a bit more available?

Seems like with the ghost pots I’m usually not too desperate about money and I feel like I’m being less thorough in clearing levels than at 1

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Is it me or does the crossbow sort of suck? for 8000 I figured it would at least hit hard if I have to retrieve the ammo every shot..

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Derek this seems a bit excessive why are you doing this. (Mechanics spoiler?)

I don’t know what this is but it looks like it would murder me

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Escape Goat posted:

Okay that was 100% it. Thanks! Next time I pick up a Jetpack in the starting area I think I'll head for the forest instead.

Wait you can choose? I thought it was randomly warping me when I left 1-4

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Diephoon posted:

The left exit goes to the Jungle, the right exit goes to Volcana

Lol I must have a tendency to the bottom righy, I’ve gotten Volcano80% of the time without realizing

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 21, 2020

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Dice game fucks you over if

*You try to steal the dice for some reason, if it's too close to the entrance just cut your loss as it's super touchy on whats in the parlor and whatnot not
*You try to throw the same dice twice. If you toss it and pick it back up they'll freak out assuming your trying to cheat

The dice physics are very unsatisfying, they should have the small rock weight so I can roll them bones instead of gently dropping them.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

I've been bombing/igniting all turkeys I run across in world one. Seems like the extra health is worth far more than the time/opportunity cost of gathering the turkeys to unlock a few thousand dollars in treasure.

Do any of the other mounts cook like that?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

If the pets were cookable for the same 1 health there would be little reason to bring them to the door

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Brasseye posted:

But one turkey can take (I think) 4 or 5 hearts worth of damage instead of you, massively increase your vertical mobility, let you walk on spiky thorns in the jungle, effortlessly hop over the first boss a bunch of times for extra gems...

unless you just mean blowing up surplus turkeys, which is sensible

I probably just need to practice more given all of those benefits. I feel so immobile in the turkey and then half the time I fly off of it because I pushed the analog stick the wrong way (maybe I should just switch to d-pad?)

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Augus posted:

Only for that run, nothing in Spelunky persists between runs

Fundamentally why Spelunky is amazing and fun and Rogue Legacy is grindy trash

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Fartington Butts posted:

In all of my time playing both Spelunks I still suck complete rear end at this. So either throw poo poo at them or kite them till I can jump on them.

#1 Good at Splunk

Yup -- jump swinging at purple bat is last resort. Throw poo poo at them. Always Be Carrying

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Diephoon posted:

I think this is why I'm going to prioritize Jungle over Volcana most of the time. If you didn't know, there are three sisters locked in sub levels in 2-2, 2-3, and 2-4. If you find them all and free them by talking to them they will give you a 12 bomb box at the Olmec stage.

I just found my first of these the other night and thought they were just unlockable playable characters like the robot, etc. Assume you need to do this on every run then if you want it, not just once?

I prioritize Jungle over Volcana because it seems like I can at least stand still in Jungle and get my bearings. Every time I try to assess my situation in Volcana poo poo jumps out of the lava or dumps fire on me and then I die.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Does shopkeeper anger work the same way in this game? In Spelunky 1 they stayed angered for your whole run, right? I swear I've escaped angry shopkeepers in 2 and interacted peacefully with further ones, but maybe my memory is just bad?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Tombot posted:

I wonder how much will change before we get to the PC release? I remember the original Spelunky development was very iterative and there seems to be a quite a lot of gameplay hurdles right from the start compared to the original game.

Wasn't the PC release like 6 hours ago?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

I think some of the 'hard' things people are complaining about just need to be tweaked a little bit.

-The poison mechanic: This is brutal, I'd make a few changes to it:
1. Increase time between damage ticks, at least a little bit
2. (maybe?) have it stop at 1HP, (and keep you there, so no cheesing with the Kapala, until you cure it)

-bear traps
Make them do some actual HP damage, like the spike traps. Even if it is 4, 8, 10 HP where it's often an instakill. Give me some reason to gather all of the health that this version lets you get. Maybe they could do damage + a ball&chain type slowdown effect?

-moles
just get rid of the their invuln frames... if I bop one on the head it should count goddamnit

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

I thought i read upthread that they made 1-4 less samey than it was at launch. How the gently caress bad was it at launch, was it literally a static Mario Bros level with the same jumps every times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

I don't think either of these are the problem with 1-4 in an ostensibly procedurally generated game