Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

When we put the guns away, we pull the bottles out. And the cans. The liquor!

Are you drinking spirits? Or were you trying to get your head to clear, so you switched to beer?

Some of us enjoy imbibing, so let's share some ideas.

Tonight at the T house, it's Red Stripe and Gentleman Jack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

A dizzying mix of whatever beer looks appetizing from a beer shop near my apartment.

My credit card is doing this Covid buy local support lox’s businesses thing where they give you $5 back on any local purchase $10 or more up to 10 times.

So every day for the last week I’ve gone on a walk and bought a semi fancy $10-12 six pack. Just whatever. Weird poo poo that I’d normally pass by because I’m not going to roll the dice on a $13 sixer but when it’s $7? gently caress it lets bowl.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!

Fun Shoe

Three Roses barrel select and Coors banquet while camping out.
Muy relaxing.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

It was a rough weekend, rough week but things are easing up. I'm having a Karbach Light Circus, earlier I had a couple Hop Saps from Kunstler and split a Black is Beautiful from the same brewery with a friend. Now I'm preparing for a 2 week lockdown thanks to Labor Day stupidity.

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

My go to is Paddy's irish. sometimes I'll alternate with Skrewball peanut butter whiskey. If I'm drinking straight, it's a toss up between Highland Park Viking Honor, GlenDronach, or compass box Hedonism.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

I really miss flavored Smirnoff Ice and different flavors of Mike's Hard Lemonade. I was a huge liquor drinker, so those were never about catching a buzz. I just loved the taste. I would absolutely buy those without alcohol in them.

I also think energy drinks taste incredibly good.

You may laugh at me now.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I just finished the last of a local Belgian Tripel which was pretty good. Normally I’m not much of a beer drinker but the local brewery comes out with stuff that appeals to me every so often. They make a good coffee porter as well.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Made a total wine run yesterday and got a nice assortment of Oktoberfest beers since they're out now. Had a Sierra Nevada, a Paulaner, and one from local brewery Big Storm last night. All delivered and I've still got Ayinger to try out.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

Usually rum, pepsi, lime. It's always either an amber or a dark. Lemon Hart, Goslings, Bacardi 8, Pusser's or whatever. But not Lambs Navy. Most spiced rum is a highway to heartburn, same with white. After some brass prep, it was Bacardi and Lower Decks time.

Or the scotch comes out. Oban 14 is the go to, but there's an AnCnoc, Dalwhinnie and even an Ardberg when I want something off the deep end. I usually throw in 2 scotch rocks and enough scotch to cover them. The Ardberg might get a little water.

When it comes to beer, I usually slum it with Lucky Lager. Even if you can't afford your child support, you can / will afford a sixer of Lucky.

Bonus Brian Cox.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_oIf1nY6jE

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Final Blog Entry posted:

Made a total wine run yesterday and got a nice assortment of Oktoberfest beers since they're out now. Had a Sierra Nevada, a Paulaner, and one from local brewery Big Storm last night. All delivered and I've still got Ayinger to try out.

Big Storm has been a pleasant surprise. Even their lager is good and I'm not a fan of lager beer.
Have you been to their tap-room? These people are right down the road but I've never been.

It's 1400 on a Saturday. That means it's Guinness time! It's always Guinness time! I should really write them a letter showing my sincere appreciation for brewing the stuff. The beer is so good it took two bottles just to type this out.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 5, 2020

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

There's wrestling tonight, so there will definitely be beer to go along with the pizza, but I haven't figured out what just yet. I'll probably just see if anything jumps out at me at the convenience store.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

There's a new brewery near me that lets you order custom 4-packs of 8oz cans as flights, and do curbside pickup, so we did that since I'm grilling burgers tonight.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

madeintaipei posted:

Big Storm has been a pleasant surprise. Even their lager is good and I'm not a fan of lager beer.
Have you been to their tap-room? These people are right down the road but I've never been.

Nah, never been there just have picked up their beers at retail spots here and there. If you have any interest in giving other local lagers a chance, check out BarrieHaus in Ybor. They're pretty new and specializing in lagers and I was really impressed with the crowlers I grabbed a few weeks back.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Final Blog Entry posted:

That Paulaner one is excellent. One of my favorites.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Moved one of last year's Dogfish Head 120 min IPAs from the pantry to the fridge to chill for later tonight. Looks like I'm gettin drunk!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It is the afternoon following a few too many pints of Guinness and I am full of regret and headache.

I should get like, Denny's delivered or something.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Speaking of hangovers, before we went to the liquor store last night, we went out to eat at a local Mexican place. We mainly went because it's next to an ice cream place we love, and last time we were out there, I saw that the people eating outside had these tall things at their tables. They're margarita towers.

I assumed that this was a watered down or otherwise lower-potency cocktail. And I'm not sure I was wrong, but man, did these really go to my wife's head. I had to drive home. She had a hard week at work, so she earned it. She's been enjoying her first decent hangover in a long time.

BTW, margaritas aren't my thing. I'm not much of a cocktail guy at all, really. I enjoy a French 75, and a Kentucky or Moscow Mule, but I'm happier with a little whiskey on the rocks, some water, and a beer that doesn't have an IBU score suggesting it can be used as paint stripper. So when we both tried our first margaritas out of that tower, we looked at each other. She was looking at me, hoping for a sign of appreciation. Finally, I just said, "Is this good?" because I honestly can't tell a good margarita from a bad one unless it's super-crazy-bad.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Y'all are fancy.

I was always more of a bourbon and smart water guy.

(It's a Veep Joke)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

It is the afternoon following a few too many pints of Guinness and I am full of regret and headache.

I should get like, Denny's delivered or something.

Last weekend I had a loving out of nowhere hangover. I didn't even have that much to drink, maybe six beers over seven hours of puttering around the apartment doing random poo poo the day before. I had to get up early for a meeting to look at a few things I'm thinking of buying, which meant I couldn't even just cower in my bedroom and sit the hangover out.

I had the first egg mcmuffin and hashbrowns I've had since covid and gently caress me it fixed me right up. It was like night and day, I went from wanting to murder the sun because of how bright it was to being a normal, functional person.

tarlibone posted:

That Paulaner one is excellent. One of my favorites.

I'm a huge fan of the Warsteiner octoberfest. They've got it at costco right now for a decent price.

Also if you can find any Lost Rhino where you are they do some of the best American brewed German beers I've had. Their Märzen is incredibly on point and pretty much the only American-brewed one that I"ll give the time of day to.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Went to the range and wrecked my arm putting 100 rounds through my new pocket pistol and am currently drinking an Elijah Craig old fashioned. I put too much bitters in, but I will live.

Made some iced tea with sliced peaches in in yesterday and my wife is enjoying that with some bourbon.

Before I go to bed, I will probably have a shot of Becherovka because fuckit, its a holiday weekend.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Thanks! I'll keep my eyes peeled. While I'm constantly on the search for good, unfiltered Hefeweizens, I'm usually disappointed to some degree. But I love me a good Märzen too, and man, the IPAssholes really have hosed everything up with hops-hops-HOPS-HOPS-HOPS. My biggest problem with American Märzens is that they, for some ungodly reason, think that this style just didn't have enough tons of hops added to each keg.

I once tried a quasi-local craft beer that promised to be an unfiltered wheat beer. One sip later, I learned that apparently, they tried to combine the IPA and the Hefeweizen into that horrible concoction. It's also ruining American Kölsches. Seriously, when fake beer snobs learned about hops and IPA, they just said, "OK, I get it now! I get beer. Beer is bitter, bitter is hops, more hops means more bitter, more bitter means the beer is more beer than less bitter beer, and beer that's more beer than other beer is the beerest beer in der Garten, and thus it is the best; therefore, the more bitter the beer, the better it is, so give me a number I can look at so I know which beer is the best ever!"

Sorry. I... I tried to keep that in. I don't hate all IPAs. I drink IPAs. One of my best friends is an IPA. I'm not anti-IPA. But gently caress, why does everything have to be so bitter?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

tarlibone posted:

the IPAssholes really have hosed everything up with hops-hops-HOPS-HOPS-HOPS.

I have started drinking a ton more european beer because everything in the US is HOPS!!!!!! and fruit sours. And I say this as someone who loves IPAs and belgian/flemmish sours, but those are not the only tastes I ever want. Have really begun to appreciate a good pils.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

stealie72 posted:

Went to the range and wrecked my arm putting 100 rounds through my new pocket pistol and am currently drinking an Elijah Craig old fashioned. I put too much bitters in, but I will live.

Made some iced tea with sliced peaches in in yesterday and my wife is enjoying that with some bourbon.

Before I go to bed, I will probably have a shot of Becherovka because fuckit, its a holiday weekend.

Pocket pistols are a true bitch to shoot.

Oh, what am I drinking you ask?

Mandarin Orange Propel Flavored Water and a Sugar Free Cherry Monster Black.

I’m classy.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My buddies and I have a covid tradition of playing video games together from ~9-2 every Friday night, similar to stuff we would do in college. Only now, instead of progressively getting drunker throughout the night, we’ll be responsible and only have a couple beers at the start of the night. Meaning we all end up with hangovers starting around 1am because we’re old and happiness is wasted on the youth.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Still Austin Whiskey Co.'s gin is a feckin' amazing value at $43 for two 750ml from Twin Liquors, it's made grain-to-glass from Texas rye and botanicals and is a much higher quality than the price would indicate.

Best cocktail I've made was chilled local vodka, yuzu juice, a splash of fig vinegar, and a little tonic water, in a frozen glass.

My usual cocktail is essentially a julep with some assortment of fresh herbs from the garden, muddled into a paste with turbinado sugar and briefly stick-blendered with vodka or applejack, strained into a goblet and mixed with tonic or ginger ale. Best combinations are sweet fennel/sweet basil/apple mint, lemongrass/Thai basil, peppermint/sweet basil, and rosemary/sweet fennel.

Got a big-rear end jug of DeKuyper's Blueberry Schnapps on quick sale for $5 recently and have rediscovered how great a dumb snort it is to mix with heavy cream and ginger ale; it's like if Booberry cereal was a beer, it's perfect for watchin' cartoons.

Best beer I've had lately is Comrade Cowbell Anti-Imperial Red Barleywine from Buffalo Bayou, a frankly dangerous 11.2% that's solid enough to bludgeon the aristocracy but swings a lot lighter than I was expecting from something with that ABV.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Been Four Roses small batch mixed in some sweet tea for a while now. Alternatively I'll go with Buffalo Trace, but I like that neat as well.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I'm finishing up the Red Stripe. Last night was our Eat Out Night, the one night a week we go to a restaurant. Tonight was Ridiculous Food Day, and dinner was T-bones and baked potatoes. Dessert was iced cream from our favorite creamery.

So tonight, it's Red Stripe and a tiny bit of Jack. I also have a Schlitz or two kicking around. Sometimes, even us fancy beer folk like to slum it with questionable lagers.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try one of my homemade beers. I've snuck a peek at the bottles already, and the tell-tale silt at the bottom tells me that I either bottled a lot of turb, or the priming was a success and I have fizzy beer.

Albert Einstein spent hours in Australia, splitting beer atoms to come up with the first carbonated beer. Sure, it took me a couple weeks, but if the worst thing scientists can say about me is that I'm a little dumber than Einstein? Well, I can live with that.

(although I do kinda want a fancy beer.)

Or one of those drinks my wife makes, which is Crown Royal Peach and Dole Orange Strawberry Banana juice. They shouldn't be as good as they are.

Thelonious
Jul 15, 2005

Some Coors light before easing into a case of the Banquet Beer. And a bottle of Turkey 101 that lasted far shorter than expected.

Won every cribbage game I was part of. As good a night as has been possible in the last six months.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Milwaukee's Best Ice. It comes in 32 oz cans. I'm on my third. I have a fourth.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Nipponophile posted:

Oh man. 'round these parts, we call that, The Best, but it's pronounced "the BEAST." A fanciful mispronunciation of "B-E-S-T," with the long E, because it truly is the beast. My brother came up with it. When I'm truly feeling nostalgic, I'll grab a couple 2 × 4's of that. I have absorbed a lot of The Be[a]st in my day. I've never seen the 3 × 2's, though. I only see those with Miller High Life down here. Hell, last night, I couldn't even find a '40 of Bud, but those aren't common here anyway.

Miller Be[a]st Ice: Five point nine and you're feelin' fine.

Full disclosure: I have a soft spot for cheap guns and cheaper beer. Neither is my favorite and I know I shouldn't rely on either one not blowing me up somehow, but there's a certain thrill in getting the job done for half price, ya know?

I have only had one beer whose existence I couldn't justify. I don't recall the name, but it was a peanut butter flavored beer. I like peanut butter. I like beer. When the bartender opened this can, though, I'm pretty sure I heard it say, "I shouldn't be."

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

You are a brave, brave man.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Beast Ice. That's something I haven't had in a long, long while.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

No hangover! It's great!

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Nipponophile posted:

My brother. It does what beer is supposed to do.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Why did I name this thread thus?

A few years back, Doc Hammer and Jackson Public hosted a Q&A. I'm pretty sure James Urbaniak was there. And after almost every question, Doc would add, "Let's everyone smoking!" Then he'd take a drag off a cigarette, a corny music bit would play, and... back to questions. Dumb? Yes. But, par for the course for Venture Bros. fans.

And, Venture Bros. also gave us this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFNXdMjua9A

The first time I saw that, I had to pause it because I nearly died laughing.

gently caress 2020. In it's 0's. But I went over that already somewhere, so...

... let's have some fun in honor of the death of my favorite show. Fans of the show know about Doc-tails. For a little while, how about we try to come up with some? For those not in the know, Doc-tails are horrible cocktails invented by someone who should not be inventing cocktails. Now, go watch all seven seasons of the show. The first is a little rough, but the rest are better, and if you stop at the Season 4 finale, I will forgive you, because that's the perfect finale of any show ever.

Here's my Doctail. I don't have the particulars worked out yet, but the ingredients? This is pure 2020, folks.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

tarlibone posted:

Here's my Doctail. I don't have the particulars worked out yet, but the ingredients? This is pure 2020, folks.

Oh no. Not after last night. Gin and mango nectar. What a bad idea. Save yourself. You have so much to live for.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

tarlibone posted:

Sorry. I... I tried to keep that in. I don't hate all IPAs. I drink IPAs. One of my best friends is an IPA. I'm not anti-IPA. But gently caress, why does everything have to be so bitter?

Check out Little Sumpin' Sumpin' from Lagunitas, it's a neat one kind of in a weird wheat/IPA middle of the road. Very good.

My daily beer is Coors Banquet but we do a lot of food and drink related travelling. Asheville, NC is one of my favorite cities for food and drink both - Burial Beer is the best.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Captain Log posted:

I really miss flavored Smirnoff Ice and different flavors of Mike's Hard Lemonade. I was a huge liquor drinker, so those were never about catching a buzz. I just loved the taste. I would absolutely buy those without alcohol in them.

I also think energy drinks taste incredibly good.

You may laugh at me now.

Smirnoff triple black, and the mikes limeaid are the two from those I miss. Always liked lime flavored stuff if it's remotely close to actual lime.

ChuckDeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

"For god's sake, man! Can you hear that? I know it seems like crying, and you always have crying in your head, but can you hear that?"

a shot of fireball for the sinuses and then a sixer of live oak heff or shiner after an antacid will do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I have a 22-year-old bottle of Josta. It's flatter than a flapjack in July. What should I mix it with?