Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

I have a 22-year-old bottle of Josta. It's flatter than a flapjack in July. What should I mix it with?

Antibiotics?

That doesn't sound safe. But, it's nothing Store Brand Blended Whiskey can't fix! (I have this weird goal of having a wet bar in my house somewhere, even though we don't entertain that often. And in my little collection of liquors will be various and sundry bottles of store-brand liquor. Each bottle is the same brand. There's something oddly satisfying, seeing a wide selection of matching generic liquor. It would make terrible cocktails, but that's OK, because I do that anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

infrared35 posted:

I have a 22-year-old bottle of Josta. It's flatter than a flapjack in July. What should I mix it with?

More guarana, obviously

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Tyro posted:

More guarana, obviously

I think I have some 2000mg "super guarana" tablets I could crush up and mix in. Obviously they're about the same vintage.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

infrared35 posted:

I think I have some 2000mg "super guarana" tablets I could crush up and mix in. Obviously they're about the same vintage.

Now we're cooking with butter.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I'm having sympathy palpitations.

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

Pick your poison most of my bar is packed for my move to the PNW but I still have some out. This is about 1/4 of what I have I think.

bar 1:

bar 2:

Edit: Enjoy my office wall paper...

Bogon fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 9, 2020

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

gimme a double shot of that keyboard cleaner spray, i wanna relive my junior high years

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

Gotta use it to aerate your whiskey. Poor man's sodastream.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Proper Kerni ng posted:

gimme a double shot of that keyboard cleaner spray, i wanna relive my junior high years

Whip it. Into shape.

WAWAWAWAWAWAWA.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

All this talking about the Beast inspired me on this, my week off, to prepare for a little light Wednesday drinking.

I got a brace of two-by-fours of Beast Ice.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I'm not ashamed to admit I've been drinking White Claw lately. I've also got a pretty good Coconut Coffee Porter in the fridge right now.

I built an awesome sampler of sours over the summer that I gave to a buddy. Really good stuff.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Akion posted:

I'm not ashamed to admit I've been drinking White Claw lately....

I hope you don't live in a state with red flag laws, because I'm pretty sure this qualifies.

But on a serious note...

Akion posted:

... I've also got a pretty good Coconut Coffee Porter in the fridge right now.

I built an awesome sampler of sours over the summer that I gave to a buddy. Really good stuff.

... I confess, I have not tried a proper sour. I didn't even know it was a thing until a couple years ago. And I am trepidatious, because there was this one time that the beer world started going crazy for bitterness in beer, and now IPAs, double IPAs, loving triple IPAs exist. It's like the song "Johnny One Note," except beer. And I'm trepidatious because "sour" could easily be the next thing that beer nuts go overboard with.

So, basically, what's the Glock 17 of sours? You know, something that's inarguably a sour beer, albeit an wholly inoffensive and unremarkable one; and something that is a decent enough bellwether of whether sours are something you want to try more of?

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

tarlibone posted:

So, basically, what's the Glock 17 of sours? You know, something that's inarguably a sour beer, albeit an wholly inoffensive and unremarkable one; and something that is a decent enough bellwether of whether sours are something you want to try more of?

Do you want like, a kind of gimmicky flavored sour or an actual example of a sour type of beer that's been around a while? I dig some of the gimmicky flavored sours lately (had a really good Lemon Meringue Berliner Weiss recently).

If you want something more purist, the two I favor are a Gose or a Berliner Weisse. Look for either of those from a brewery you like at your local liquor store.

I forget where you are located or I could make more specific suggestions.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Akion posted:

Do you want like, a kind of gimmicky flavored sour or an actual example of a sour type of beer that's been around a while? I dig some of the gimmicky flavored sours lately (had a really good Lemon Meringue Berliner Weiss recently).

If you want something more purist, the two I favor are a Gose or a Berliner Weisse. Look for either of those from a brewery you like at your local liquor store.

I forget where you are located or I could make more specific suggestions.

Not gimmicky. Gimmicky is how IPAs ranked by IBUs happened. More like, an actual example of a sour type beer.

I'm in the St. Louis area, just north of the city in Illinois. Meanwhile, I'll start looking for those styles.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

My smart move during pandemic was capping my beers at two, then moving to liquor. Since I have an abundance of homebrew in a kegerator, some guidelines were needed, for my waist if nothing else. The homebrew selection has been a fruit IPA, a hellesbock, a doppelbock, a kettle sour, a pilsner, and a tap of fizzy water. On deck is an oktoberfest, a carbonated riesling, an imperial stout, a porter, and I think I have another keg of pilsner?

Whiskey wise, mostly scotch with some bourbon. Alternating nights of Islay, primarily Ardbeg and Laphroaig, with Highland and Speyside. PA has weird sales, so I've tried most of the "Glens" and some others I had squirreled away. Laphroaig Lore is great.

Regarding the IPA trend of hopshopshops, two things. One, the market is starting to swing away from that for a bit. Two, it's like Islay. Your first drink or ten will blow out your taste entirely, then you get used to it and find all the fruits in IPA or discover that Laphroaig 10 is really a vanilla bomb. I mean, you have to WANT to go there, but it is there. (Also, the Belma Hops are literally fruity pebbles. Hard to find, but they're not bitter, just... fruity.)

For the gold standard of classic sours, get you some Duchesse De Bourgogne or Rodenbach Grand Cru

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Speaking of blowing out your taste buds... hey beerfolk, anyone else do this?

When I was drinking a lot more beer than I do now, I had this method to drinking beer. I'd get a sixer of fancy beer of some kind. Doesn't matter. But, that was my "taste beer." I bought it to enjoy the taste. But after two or maybe three of those, even if they're not blowing out your taste buds with one particular taste, your sense of taste does become a bit numbed. Comfortably so, but still, numb. At this point, sure, drinking more Taste Beer would be fun, but it's also like smoking more weed when you're already high. As Gallagher once said of smoking weed when you're high, "you don't get more high, just lower on weed."

So, after enjoying some Taste Beers, I would keep several Base Beers on hand. These are inoffensive beers that I enjoy, but they are there just to move my buzz along. We're talking Budweiser or something like that. And I like Budweiser, so shut up already. Anyone who has something bad to say about Budweiser can say it and even it it's true I don't care. It's a great base beer.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Yes? I mean, why wouldn't you. I do it with beer, scotch, cheese, etc.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, you don't break out the Glenfiddich when you're already plastered off Crown Royal.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Currently having a Lazy Martini; gin and vermouth in a rocks glass with half an ice cube.

Apparently I'm a mutant, because I've always preferred sweet vermouth and plenty of it. If I wanted dry vermouth I'd just shake an Angostura at it and add more gin.

Alarbus posted:

Alternating nights of Islay, primarily Ardbeg and Laphroaig
Laphroaig Quarter Cask is still the finest whisky I've ever had; all the Big Salty Peat of an Islay, but astoundingly smooth and complex. I wonder how many people have unironically tried to claim their square foot of Islay Isle in person.

Also I am furious that La Grippe 2020 has prompted Twin Liquors to cancel the Summer Dollar Days sale this year, because that's when I restock my Fancy Scotch since I can't afford Good Stuff™ at regular price.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jeeze, ya'll make me feel better about my consumption habits. I'll usually get a 4 or 6-pack of fancy beer a week and that usually works for me. Some nights it's a fancy beer, some nights is a White Claw or a cheap beer (Coors Banquet plzthxbai).

Sundays I'll usually do 2-3 beers or some mixed drinks while I play Dungeons and Dragons.

tarlibone posted:

I'm in the St. Louis area, just north of the city in Illinois. Meanwhile, I'll start looking for those styles.

I did some research. Alpha Dog had some good recs, as did Side Project Brewing. Side Project looks solid, but pricey.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I cut back a lot versus where I was at a year ago. Now it's maybe an 8-pack of Guinness or a couple sixes of fancy beer a week. Tuesday and Friday are the most likely drinkin' days for me.

(I have no meetings Tuesday morning so I can roll out of bed and be grumpy for an hour or two and no one will notice.)

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

tarlibone posted:

Desthil is out of Normal and does a whole sour series. You should be able to find Here Gose Nothing without much issue. https://www.destihl.com/here-gose-nothin-.html

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Alarbus posted:

For the gold standard of classic sours, get you some Duchesse De Bourgogne or Rodenbach Grand Cru

Duchesse was a favorite of an old friend I used to drink with who liked to describe it as "drinking a mouthful of Sour Patch Kids". I'll be damned if he's not right.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Nipponophile posted:

Duchesse was a favorite of an old friend I used to drink with who liked to describe it as "drinking a mouthful of Sour Patch Kids". I'll be damned if he's not right.

The best thing to come out of several years of going to the Extreme Beer Fest in Boston is pairing a cold sour beer with a hot sugar waffle ( https://smittenkitchen.com/2015/05/liege-waffles/ ).

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I noticed the beer I was drinking was hitting me rather hard -- feeling a tad tipsy after two and a bit -- so I looked at the label.

Apparently the Steamworks Flagship IPA is a 6.7%!

It's gonna be a good night.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I dove into some stouts over the winter without checking the ABV.

A few were 10+% and resulted in some Saturdays being written off.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Alcohol has been hitting me hard. I have found that I can't just demolish beers like I used to be able to do, so on those rare nights when I want to hit a certain point of tipsiness but not cross the line to full-on plastered... I fail. Losing over 100 pounds and cutting down on drinking really messes up your ability to hold your liquor, let me tell ya.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

I am drinking Natty Light cherry and lime seltzers I bought on a whim grocery shopping today. No ragrets

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

that's a hell of a thing to admit in public

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Final Blog Entry posted:

I am drinking Natty Light cherry and lime seltzers I bought on a whim grocery shopping today. No ragrets

I've seen those and thought about getting them, just to try it out.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

I am currently suffering through a gout flareup brought on by some boozing earlier this week. It loving sucks.

Thelonious
Jul 15, 2005

Hello Thirsty Thursday. Fill a highball with ice. Add cheap blended scotch and Vernors ginger ale in a ratio of your choosing. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime - your preference.

You'll be drunk browsing gunbroker in no time flat.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Thelonious posted:

Hello Thirsty Thursday. Fill a highball with ice. Add cheap blended scotch and Vernors ginger ale in a ratio of your choosing. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime - your preference.

You'll be drunk browsing gunbroker in no time flat.

You really get me.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Some may ask me why I choose to do yard work instead of paying a landscaping company like so many of my neighbors. Is it for a closer connection to my land? Is it to save money in lieu of time? Is it for the measurable accomplishment of looking over a yard well tended and knowing what my hands can accomplish?

Nah it’s for the post-mowing shower beers.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

e: Your AV is hypnotic.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Some may ask me why I choose to do yard work instead of paying a landscaping company like so many of my neighbors. Is it for a closer connection to my land? Is it to save money in lieu of time? Is it for the measurable accomplishment of looking over a yard well tended and knowing what my hands can accomplish?

Nah it’s for the post-mowing shower beers.

We all take care of my neighbor's garden and he mows our lawn. We do ours while day-drinking, he does his sweating his rear end off after work. Kinda feel bad about that, but gently caress it. This was his wife's idea and there is no reason for anyone to second-guess her. Doesn't stop me from loving with him.

"Hey man, lawn looks great. Thank you! Wanna beer?"
"Naw man, gotta get this done now so I can spend time with my wife."
(Read: she volunteered me so I didn't get up to anything in the meantime.)

They are the most adorable couple, knowing each other waaaaay too well.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Whelp, have just been informed by my employer that I am no longer management.

For the meager price of a 6% pay cut I get a new version of my old job back that doesn't deal with any management bullshit and has client hours allocated to a reasonable work week, keeping me with the same clients I already work with.

Gunna need some drinks tonight to celebrate this incredible stroke of good luck. Probably something for the common man now that I'm back to being a worker. Maybe some Evan Williams manhattans.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

stealie72 posted:

Whelp, have just been informed by my employer that I am no longer management.

For the meager price of a 6% pay cut I get a new version of my old job back that doesn't deal with any management bullshit and has client hours allocated to a reasonable work week, keeping me with the same clients I already work with.

Gunna need some drinks tonight to celebrate this incredible stroke of good luck. Probably something for the common man now that I'm back to being a worker. Maybe some Evan Williams manhattans.

Servus, Soldat Schwejk!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Which reminds me, I also have Becherovka in the freezer and its almost chilly enough outside to make it feel right.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

stealie72 posted:

Which reminds me, I also have Becherovka in the freezer and its almost chilly enough outside to make it feel right.

My uncle is the Czech Julian, always with the slivowitz, never spills a drop. Beton in the morning, as you'd expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I missed my remote team's virtual happy hour setting up camp.

On the plus side, Carlyle Lake looks pretty cool, and it's already windy. Brought my bike. Forgot my binoculars.

Guess I'll make my own happy hour.