Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Continuing to enjoy the New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA series. The "Higher Plane" IPA is quite nice and a welcome change from the extreme hoppiness in the Imperial version.

Getting a bit tired of IPAs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Woo hoo booze thread!

Lately I've been drinking a lot of Evan Williams Black Label or Prairie Gin. Both are delicious mixed with diet Mountain Dew, although I do a fair amount of bourbon rocks as well. I also hammer down a fair amount of gin and whatever flavored la Croix knock off the wife bought this week.

This may seem counter-intuitive, but I really don't drink much beer at home anymore. It all tastes like work, and I end up dissecting it looking for off-flavors or trying to reverse engineer it and it's just not really relaxing most of the time. Skrapp Mettle can probably relate.

tarlibone posted:

So, basically, what's the Glock 17 of sours? You know, something that's inarguably a sour beer, albeit an wholly inoffensive and unremarkable one; and something that is a decent enough bellwether of whether sours are something you want to try more of?

Try a Monk's Cafe if you can find one. It's a Flemish Red, which isn't a style you'll see a ton of, but good, refreshing, approchable, not too crazy/ rare / expensive, and will be a good way to figure out if you want to dive deeper into sours or not.

Fair warning, the various bacterias that make sours sour can do a loving number on peoples stomachs. I personally get pretty gnarly heartburn if I have more than one in a day.

*edit*
Having a Corpse Reviver No. 2 before dinner

Hayden fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 24, 2020

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

If you live somewhere that gets Station 26 beer, their Tangerine Cream Ale is amazing.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Oh wow. Is this why I don't drink liquor? Hey there is some left!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Whiskey and coke. Though technically this is Pepsi Zero.

I feel like this is better for me than beer because it lasts longer and probably ends up costing less.

e: I should probably get some of the caffeine free stuff for this

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

mischief posted:

Continuing to enjoy the New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA series. The "Higher Plane" IPA is quite nice and a welcome change from the extreme hoppiness in the Imperial version.
I handed out bottles of Voodoo Ranger to any Accompanying Adults who wanted one last Halloween when trick-or-treaters came to the door, and between that and Full Size Kit-Kats and Snickers, baybeee, we were far and away the most popular house in my mother in law's neighborhood. I still get thumbs up from some of them any time I drive through.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Starting off the evening with one or two of these. Once the kiddo is asleep (which drat well better be before the hockey game starts) I think I'm switching over to scotch and soda for the night

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I'm taking it easy this weekend, trying to get back on the gym train. Well, I am back on, because scared as I am of Pestilence, I have to do something. So, no pounding beers this weekend.

I am having one of my homemade KŲlsches, though. And my wife is bring me a large beer.

• Beer: 12 - 16 oz.
  • Tall Boy: 24 - 25 oz. (aka "two by four")
  • Ball Toy: 32 oz. (aka "three by two")
  • Fawty Towers: 40 oz. (Sadly, these are rare in my area.)

I'm hoping she comes home with a ball toy, but it'll probably be a tall boy. This, and maybe a shot or two of liquor. That'll be it for the Terry Bone.

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

Nights are getting chillier, time for hot coco and rumple mintz.

Or the cheap whiskey in coffee.

Comfy sponk fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 26, 2020

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Oh man, Rumplemintz!

I just had flashbacks of Teenage Tarlibone. Oh, out of that horrible stuff with the gold flakes in it? Do you have Rumplemintz or Southern Comfort?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Had a quesadilla burger and a Very Berry Sangria for dinner at Applebees. Feels good, man.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Got a 6 pack of Maharaja IPA from Avery Brewing at the store and didnít notice it was 10% ABV until I got home. Itís delicious, but itís definitely a ďone per dayĒ beer for me.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

A heads up for a complete slovenly drunk opinion - The new Four Loko Pregame is a legitimate thing.

Johnny Bootlegger is extremely popular out here judging by the trash I pick up on our land. It is not a good drink. It is bad wine.
Pregame is a higher proof malt beverage. All the booze benefits minus the trash wine headache.

Throw one down before your next social interaction of choice, you'll thank me.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Wasn't there a great SNL skit, maybe on Weekend Update, where a 4 Loco dude starts talking about their ridiculous products?

I rode about 18 miles this morning. Now to celebrate with Buffalo Wild Wings. I am drinking a tall IPA that is citrus-y. I forget the name. It's OK.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Why is top shelf gin so unremarkable? So many bottles up there and Iíve never purchased one thatís worth the extra $10-15 over a bottle of Beefeater, Boodles or Bombay.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Hendricks and The Botanist are both definitely worth a bit extra, they have tons of subtle complimentary flavors which still shine through the tonic or vermouth.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Monkey 47 is a really nice gin, but it's expensive at around $90 a fifth here. Hayman is another solid gin I've been on lately, comparable price point to Bombay Sapphire or Tanqurey. Apparently it was started by the family behind Beefeater after they sold that brand to Pernod Ricard in 1987.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Been a hell of a couple weeks. I am not really a beer guy but I had an Atwater Brewery vanilla java porter in the fridge so that's what I'm drinking.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Hayden posted:

Monkey 47 is a really nice gin, but it's expensive at around $90 a fifth here. Hayman is another solid gin I've been on lately, comparable price point to Bombay Sapphire or Tanqurey. Apparently it was started by the family behind Beefeater after they sold that brand to Pernod Ricard in 1987.

Holy poo poo

That was one of my go to gins when I lived in London - that and Sipsmith (awesome distillery btw). 47 was a few quid more than Sapphire if I remember my pricing.

On the beer scene, now that it's not swamp hell weather in DMV area, 2Silos Cream Ale is pretty nice.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

TCD posted:

Holy poo poo

That was one of my go to gins when I lived in London - that and Sipsmith (awesome distillery btw). 47 was a few quid more than Sapphire if I remember my pricing.

On the beer scene, now that it's not swamp hell weather in DMV area, 2Silos Cream Ale is pretty nice.

Yeah, honestly I don't usually see the fifths except at bars. Most of the liquor stores around here only ever seem to stock the 375ml bottles, which are still around $40.

It's good gin, but it's not that good

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Hayden posted:

Yeah, honestly I don't usually see the fifths except at bars. Most of the liquor stores around here only ever seem to stock the 375ml bottles, which are still around $40.

It's good gin, but it's not that good

$40 for a pint?!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Captain Log posted:

$40 for a pint?!

Of gin?

Hendricks is good, as is boodles if you're feeling saucy, but New Amsterdam is a solid utility gin if you just want a martini while making dinner. I like it much more than beefeater.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Experienced drunks call 375ml bottles a pint.

But 200ml is a half pint.

For reasons. Drunk reasons.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

It's my birthday and I'm currently working on a tallboy of Coors Light cause I'm going back to work after a week of PTO tomorrow.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

I just drove a (mostly) successful restart on a system that hadn't been restarted in about a year and a half, so I'm celebrating with the finest malt liquor I could find on the bottom shelf.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm really not looking forward to the next couple weeks of work so it's 11pm on a Sunday night and I'm mixing up rum and cokes.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Why is top shelf gin so unremarkable? So many bottles up there and Iíve never purchased one thatís worth the extra $10-15 over a bottle of Beefeater, Boodles or Bombay.

Gin is primarily used for mixing - you lose out on a lot of the subtlety of good gin if you do anything beyond shake/stir for a dry martini. The origins of gin are primarily as a medicinal tonic, where the botanicals were used mainly to hide the distillate byproducts that were less than pleasant - this was especially true in England when it became legal to produce gin without a license.

Hendrick's and Botanist were mentioned, if you're just looking to sip on something chilled both of those are quite nice. I also remember enjoying Aviation but it's been ages since I've had gin in general - mostly switched over to beer a number of years ago, with only very occasional liquor.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Gearing up for the weekend, I told Mrs. T, it's Oktoberfest time, especially since the local Catholic church won't be doing the weekend-long party this year because Pestilence. I was hoping to find Paulaner Oktoberfest Mšrzen, and my wife spotted one 6-pack all the way in the back (I'd missed it), and she claimed two as a finder's fee. But when we got home, I was taking the cans of my other pick out of the special recyclable 4-pack holders that I hate so much, and somehow, it caught the pull tab and released the genie. Into the fridge it went.

So, in a rare move, I'm Thursday Drinking. I had the calories in my budget; even with this beer, I'm only at about 1400 for today (tonight was chicken kabob and salad night). So, no cookie for me. Instead....

I don't care if it's Organic. I love it. This is pretty drat good.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I figured that Thursday night beer was so good that I'd have just one more. This technically counts as one beer.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I just had a Moscow mule made with cherry vodka. It was dandy.

And for some reason I canít attach images in the app again.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

I just had a Moscow mule made with cherry vodka. It was dandy.

And for some reason I canít attach images in the app again.

Flavored vodka?

Tell me, was it the heavy metal as a kid? Did you read comics rather than pray? What went wrong in your life to make you purchase flavored vodka?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

Flavored vodka?

Tell me, was it the heavy metal as a kid? Did you read comics rather than pray? What went wrong in your life to make you purchase flavored vodka?

All that plus leaded gasoline, the hole in the ozone layer, and a constant barrage of blows to my ego.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

All that plus leaded gasoline, the hole in the ozone layer, and a constant barrage of blows to my ego.

Not 5G and vaccines made to turn people against religion?!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Speaking of flavored distilled liquors, I had some strawberry soju today. It was pretty good, I can see why soju is considered so dangerous for hangovers. It was weaker than most at 12%, but if the higher stuff is still smooth I can see how people could way overindulge. The liquor store also had what looked like 3-liter plastic bottles and JFC that could be a bad night for several people.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

My favourite local brewery's October mash-up pack has a 7.0% IPA called Black Angel in it.

It is, unsurprisingly, extremely dark.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

It is, unsurprisingly, extremely dark.

Did they call it "Twenty-Twenty?"

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Grilling steak and corn, sitting on the deck enjoying the weather with an old fashioned. Made with grapefruit peel instead of orange, and Basil Hayden's. Not bad.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Tyro posted:

Grilling steak and corn, sitting on the deck enjoying the weather with an old fashioned. Made with grapefruit peel instead of orange, and Basil Hayden's. Not bad.

That sounds pretty tasty! My rugby team is doing a sober October, but I know what I'm making when that ends.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

crazypeltast52 posted:

That sounds pretty tasty! My rugby team is doing a sober October, but I know what I'm making when that ends.

This is unlike every rugby team I've ever met.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

This is unlike every rugby team I've ever met.

It is emphatically unlike us as well. I donít know where this idea came from, but it works out with Halloween basically cancelled.