Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

When people say all these pandemic cancellations are sobering events, they don't mean it literally!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I picked up some beer while I was in Denver that I'm excited for:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

That thing on the right? That's not beer, that officially qualifies as candy.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

I'll spare you goons the long, sentimental version of the where and the who, but I'm out in East Texas on an old pig farm turned hunting camp with my dad and a bunch of his old band mates. Guys I've known my entire life. No hunting as it's pre-season, but an excuse to get together, bullshit, and be away.

They've all turned in, and im having a simple bourbon rocks next to the campfire before I call it a night.

I highly recommend it. Cheers guys

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Hayden posted:

I'll spare you goons the long, sentimental version of the where and the who, but I'm out in East Texas on an old pig farm turned hunting camp with my dad and a bunch of his old band mates. Guys I've known my entire life. No hunting as it's pre-season, but an excuse to get together, bullshit, and be away.

They've all turned in, and im having a simple bourbon rocks next to the campfire before I call it a night.

Late night camp drinking is the best.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nipponophile posted:

That thing on the right? That's not beer, that officially qualifies as candy.

Whatever it is, it's delicious and it has booze in it. They're one of my favorite breweries just cause they do whacky-rear end stuff like that, and also some really good stouts in the winter.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

At a restaurant tonight. Calorie counter is off. My wife orders a PBR, but not me, because this place has loving Old Style.

My dad wasn't around when I was young, so my Uncle T was in many ways a surrogate dad. He died in a motorcycle accident when I was in grade school, so this beer is a tribute to him, because I can hardly ever find it down here, and he drank the poo poo out of Old Style. It was my very first sip of beer.

It is the OKest beer ever.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Hayden posted:

Dove season, man! Did anyone at least bring a shotgun?

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!

Fun Shoe

Old Style - It is the OKest beer ever.

Uncle T knew what was up.

Proper Kerni ng posted:

Dove season, man! Did anyone at least bring a shotgun?
Are there any dove in east texas?
It is bow season, so we sat in a stand, drank Buffalo Trace and watched the deer gambol just out of bow range

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

GEEKABALL posted:

watched the deer gambol

I'm picturing a deer-themed take on one of those "Dogs Playing Poker" paintings.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Elections are over! What should I get in celebration (as well as consolation for my mom's significant other) for it?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

jwang posted:

Elections are over! What should I get in celebration (as well as consolation for my mom's significant other) for it?

I'm trying to figure out a commonly available beer from Penn. that is not Yuengling.

Today, we drink Guinness. Two days ago, we drank Guinness. It's just so much sweeter today, plus there's more of it.

e: Got WaWa? Get a cheesesteak witchya booze.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

I'm trying to figure out a commonly available beer from Penn. that is not Yuengling.

Rolling Rock? But that's worse than yuengling.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

jwang posted:

https://justbeerapp.com/article/trump-inspired-beers

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Tyro posted:

Ugh. I like Rolling Rock as a weekend, hanging out, running a stall at the flea market beer. $1 tall boys there, pre-covid. Now they're all out of business.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

After a long morning of yard work, I'm enjoying a Coca-Cola with Coconut Cartel rum.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Wife wants champagne, so I'm headed to the store. I've got some absinthe, so I'll probably make a Death in the Afternoon for myself. Can't get too crazy since I'm flying solo with my son this evening, but I'll definitely put a few down once he's in bed.

Tyro posted:

No thank you.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

For me right now it's a local wheat beer with grapefruit. It's ok but not outstanding.

Yesterday we made a fun refreshing cocktail. I think it was 1/4oz demarara syrup, 3/4oz pineapple shrub, 2oz mezcal, stir, fill glass with ice, add 4oz of ginger beer. And garnish with a thin slice of dried pineapple.

Turkson
Mar 30, 2011

St. Bernardus Abt 12.

Great beer for a great day.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

I found that a local brewery started doing a Schwarzbier, which is my favorite underappreciated style. I've struggled to find one I really like ever since another local brewery stopped doing theirs. Shiner Black isn't terrible, but it isn't great either. New Belgium 1554 is okay, but I prefer a slightly more chocolate taste rather than the black bread taste 1554 has.

So I'm pretty happy with that.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

madeintaipei posted:

Today, we drink Guinness. Two days ago, we drank Guinness. It's just so much sweeter today, plus there's more of it.

e: Got WaWa? Get a cheesesteak witchya booze.

Victory, Troegs, maybe Weyerbacher, maybe Yards?

There's always Philadelphia Bluecoat gin!

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I found that a local brewery started doing a Schwarzbier, which is my favorite underappreciated style. I've struggled to find one I really like ever since another local brewery stopped doing theirs. Shiner Black isn't terrible, but it isn't great either. New Belgium 1554 is okay, but I prefer a slightly more chocolate taste rather than the black bread taste 1554 has.

So I'm pretty happy with that.

Shiner Black makes the best goddamned beer bread.

Alarbus posted:

Victory, Troegs, maybe Weyerbacher, maybe Yards?

There's always Philadelphia Bluecoat gin!

Yards Brawler is a drat fine ESB, and drat near the only beer I drank when I was in Philly in 2016.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I just had a Unity Vibration bourbon peach kombucha beer. It was decent, but not one of my favorites. Tasted kind of like a cidery mead.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I used ketel one botanticals, two shots, and half a can of grapefruit spin drift with one ice cube. was pretty freaking good but at the end was rough due to float down

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

I went to the cheapest liquor store in (technically just outside of) town looking for the Midnight Strikes black lager I had a week or two ago and it was gone, so I ended up getting a six-pack of this. Really good beer although I wouldn't call it sessionable, it's very rich and thick and sweet. My roommate also got a six-pack of this, which is the first gluten-free dark beer that she found in the five years since she stopped doing gluten (not celiac, but vomits blood when she eats too much gluten so she has a good reason to avoid it). She really likes it, seems pretty good to me.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout. Extra for extra hops. It's confusing. Good, but confusing. Like a summer version of Guinness Extra Stout.

Heresy, I know, but I feel it would be great with just a splash of Cointreau.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Went to a Texas Roadhouse and had one of their Southern Whiskey L.I.T.s. It was tasty.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

infrared35 posted:

Went to a Texas Roadhouse and had one of their Southern Whiskey L.I.T.s. It was tasty.

You're too far north to drink something so redneck.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

That's not redneck. That's teenaged.

My boss randomly decided he wants us to try making craft tonic water to sell in the tapproom, because you can do that when you own the company. So we sat down and tasted a bunch of different tonic waters and picked two that we liked. He then gave me the "assignment" of drinking these two tonic waters with several different gins to really try and zero in on a flavor profile we want to try and create.

Which is a lot of words to say I'm having a few G & Ts.

*edit*

mischief posted:

...and we'd float Everclear in the straw to make it strong enough.

Haha, I bartended in a cajun restaurant years ago, and our hurricanes got sent back several times a day for not tasting strong enough. We had a well version of Bacardi 151 that usually did the trick

Hayden fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 19, 2020

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Captain Log posted:

You're too far north to drink something so redneck.

Don't put that evil on me. It's a Long Island Ice Tea.

I'm not saying I never made one for white trash but it was rare. It usually came back and we'd float Everclear in the straw to make it strong enough.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

LITs at my restaurant (which was pretty upscale) were an instant indicator that I'd be throwing someone out the front door in the next ninety minutes.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

My best indicator was always Jaeger bombs. That poo poo is drunk muscle.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

LITs at my restaurant (which was pretty upscale) were an instant indicator that I'd be throwing someone out the front door in the next ninety minutes.

I'm a happy drunk. And it did pair well with the chopped steak.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I used to like Lawn Guyland Iced Tea. And while I still like the taste of a good one, most of the time since my 20s that I've tried one, I feel silly for trying to be in my 20s again.

It's not an old man's drink. I'll have a bourbon something. Kentucky Mule? Sure. Old fasioned? Perhaps. A glass full of iced whiskey? That works, too.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

It's hard to beat a legit Old Fashioned. I'm out of the bar game and trying to stay at least remotely sober but I splurge on an anniversary old fashion every year. A local hotel/restaurant/bar did our wedding and it has been an annual tradition to go try their specials on that weekend, anyway.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

My go-to get hammered drink was a French 75 because it's both champagne and gin*, but I'd get a wide variety of drinks. One of my favorite that I could never make at home because the ingredients were too esoteric was an Aviation.

1-1/2 ounces gin
3/4 ounce maraschino liqueur
1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
1/4 ounce creme de violette

Maraschino liqueur is made with the pits of cherries so it's a nuttier taste rather than the sickly-sweet maraschino cherries, but when the gently caress am I going to use creme de violette?

Manhattans, negronis, and G&Ts were good go-tos for a less fancy bar though. Negronis are fun because they look like a pink girly drink but actually they're gin, a bitter aperitif, and bitters.

*I drank most of a pitcher of French 75s on election night 2016.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Hayden posted:

That's not redneck. That's teenaged.

My boss randomly decided he wants us to try making craft tonic water to sell in the tapproom, because you can do that when you own the company. So we sat down and tasted a bunch of different tonic waters and picked two that we liked. He then gave me the "assignment" of drinking these two tonic waters with several different find to really try and zero in on a flavor profile we want to try and create.

Which is a lot of words to say I'm having a few G & Ts.

*edit*

Haha, I bartended in a cajun restaurant years ago, and our hurricanes got sent back several times a day for not tasting strong enough. We had a well version of Bacardi 151 that usually did the trick

I prefer drinking diet tonic water to regular, but I haven't ever bought and drank fancy brands. If you have any recommendations (or want to ship me your own ) to share that'd be cool.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

tangy yet delightful posted:

I prefer drinking diet tonic water to regular, but I haven't ever bought and drank fancy brands. If you have any recommendations (or want to ship me your own ) to share that'd be cool.

2 that are relatively available in the US are Fever Tree and Q (no relation to the conspiracy theory). I don't know offhand if either of them offer a diet version, but you should be able to find them at any decently stocked liquor store.

Source: I ran cocktail bars for awhile a long time ago.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Shooting Blanks posted:

2 that are relatively available in the US are Fever Tree and Q (no relation to the conspiracy theory). I don't know offhand if either of them offer a diet version, but you should be able to find them at any decently stocked liquor store.

Source: I ran cocktail bars for awhile a long time ago.

Fever Tree was/is one of my go toos after living in London.

I've recently started to enjoy wholefoods tonic too.

Bottled tonic in the middle of Africa is usually pretty good too although the profile will be a touch more intense due to no ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Q is probably a good starting point of you usually drink diet. It's sweetened with agave nectar, so it's less sweet than the others and also had the lowest sugar content per serving of any of the other brands we tried. I honestly think the brand was launched as sort of a diet tonic alternative, although I may be misremembering that.

That being said, the two brands we liked the best were Fevertree Premium Indian Tonic Water and White Rock. Fevertree is nice, and very complex, but I personally prefer the White Rock. It's very well balanced, clean, and classic. I feel like it let's the actual gin shine through a bit better, as well.