Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be on the lookout locally for em to try.

edit: well lets turn this top of the page post into my eggnog plans that no one asked for -

my text file recipe notes posted:

Alton Brown Aged Eggnog- https://altonbrown.com/eggnog-recipe/

drew Toasted Cream - https://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/drew/something-other-beer-toasted-cream

---
Last year I did no baking soda in the toasted cream. Serious Eats has an article about the flavor differences between sous vide or pressure cooker (instant pot) and with/without baking soda. Last year's omission was unintentional, haven't decided what I'll do this year yet.

Since toasting the 1 pint heavy cream makes the cream a thinner consistency I am removing the half-n-half and doing 2 pints heavy cream with only 1 of the 2 pints toasted this year.

For liqours I used: Knob Creek straight bourbon whiskey (100 proof), Kraken Black Spiced Rum (94 proof) and Courvoisier Cognac VS (80 proof)

If you have a fine mesh strainer I might recommend one for serving as my batch had a few smaller lumps of I guess sugar/egg in it from when I didn't mix it quite perfect.

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I don't think I've ever had scratch-made eggnog. I'm tempted to make it, but it's the kind of thing where I'd love to try someone else's first to see if it's even something I enjoy. I'm mostly a beer guy anyway so I don't really see it getting consumed quickly.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Shooting Blanks posted:

I don't think I've ever had scratch-made eggnog. I'm tempted to make it, but it's the kind of thing where I'd love to try someone else's first to see if it's even something I enjoy. I'm mostly a beer guy anyway so I don't really see it getting consumed quickly.

I have not had the courage to try eggnog. Seems like a lot of stuff that shouldn't be mixed together, much less eaten raw afterward. I'm happy to have bourbon.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

The alton brown recipe is pretty easy and way tasty. Very different from the glop at the grocery store. I make it pretty much every year and get hosed up.

And I hate milk.

Also, on holiday drinks, everyone who lives someplace cold should make glogg. There's a lot of different recipes but itd basically mulled wine and brandy with dried fruit, almonds, and cardamom that you burn some liquor soaked sugar into. Its the only thing I've ever seen my mom drunk on.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

tarlibone posted:

I have not had the courage to try eggnog. Seems like a lot of stuff that shouldn't be mixed together, much less eaten raw afterward. I'm happy to have bourbon.

Egg nog with maker's mark is absolutely delicious and I'm not a dairy person at all.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I always go for Boiled Custard over Eggnog, but maybe I'm just a weirdo.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

tarlibone posted:

I've done that recipe before, it's super good. And assuming there's salmonella in an egg (one in multiple thousands chance), it survives for about 5 minutes in that amount of alcohol, it's like 15-20% ABV.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My go-to get hammered drink was a French 75 because it's both champagne and gin*, but I'd get a wide variety of drinks. One of my favorite that I could never make at home because the ingredients were too esoteric was an Aviation.

1-1/2 ounces gin
3/4 ounce maraschino liqueur
1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
1/4 ounce creme de violette

Maraschino liqueur is made with the pits of cherries so it's a nuttier taste rather than the sickly-sweet maraschino cherries, but when the gently caress am I going to use creme de violette?

Manhattans, negronis, and G&Ts were good go-tos for a less fancy bar though. Negronis are fun because they look like a pink girly drink but actually they're gin, a bitter aperitif, and bitters.

*I drank most of a pitcher of French 75s on election night 2016.

You use Creme de Violette to make more Aviations.

I love the idea of French 75s, and I often have sparkling wine on tap in the kegerator, but it always seems to gently caress me up way more than it should, or I want.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

I used to make a big batch of strong homemade eggnog every year. I should get back into the habit. It keeps very well in the fridge. (I found a partial bottle in my office fridge over a year after the holiday party I had brought it to. I took a small sip and didn't die. Normally we drink it all within a couple months of it being ready).

Last time I made nog was 2 years ago and I used a different recipe than normal, I didn't care for it. I'll have to see if I can find my old recipe.

French 75s are delicious and dangerous.

I think tonight is a pisco sour night.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I’ve made that Alton Brown eggnog, but I like George Washington’s recipe even better:

https://www.almanac.com/content/george-washingtons-christmas-eggnog

If you’re really worried about raw eggs, you can pasteurize them with an immersion circulator. The alcohol should do the trick though.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

LordOfThePants posted:

I’ve made that Alton Brown eggnog, but I like George Washington’s recipe even better:

Sweet maybe I'll try that one this year, thanks. Raw eggs are fine for me.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Old-school tonight. I checked my weight, and with the slacking off, I'm... pretty much right where I've been for months. I'll take it! Also, I made some neat steak sammiches tonight.

Jack Daniels and Budweiser. A nice, comforting warmth for a guy who turns forty-five in a week.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Larceny in caffeine-free Pepsi.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I'm having a The Tarlibone, Maker's Mark edition, with a Budweiser 55 on the side.

(The Tarlibone: whiskey, ice, and a splash of water. My friend and I were coming up with unnecessary drink names one night, and this one ended up just being my name with the definite article. Yes, "the" is part of the name.)

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Bump.

Came down with the stomach flu on Saturday. Tore through the whole family, but I got the worst of it. Missed two days of work, but no symptoms since yesterday morning and back to work today. I'm on second shift, and my kids are on spring break so I should be able to sleep until 7 tomorrow. Gonna shoot some Jameson and have a Guinness for tradition's sake, then switch to either local stout or lager depending on which way my taste buds pull me. Might end the night with a Jameson rocks if I'm feeling froggy.

Hayden fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 18, 2021

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Hello, thread!

I happen to be sipping a Necromangocon by B. Nektar. Very tasty. More like a mead than a beer.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Happy St Paddy's day y'all

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I'm currently really digging on the Trader Joes store brand "Simpler Times" lager.

I kind of hate the name but I love the price. I think it's something like $2 or $3 for a six pack? And it's a loving SOLID malty lager. Think more of a Maerzen than something like a Yuengling. Cheap and good, which means it's got a spot in my fridge for now.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Someone in here might find this interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM7dGuGd404

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Somebody Awful posted:

Someone in here might find this interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM7dGuGd404

I wanted to watch this but the audio was only piping mono into my left ear so I just couldn't do it

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

tangy yet delightful posted:

I wanted to watch this but the audio was only piping mono into my left ear so I just couldn't do it

Oh thank Christ, it wasn't just me!!!!!

I'm nearly deaf in my left ear. But not in the sense that it's like the volume is just quieter. The low frequencies are all totally gone, as are many of the mids and some of the really highs. And also the overall volume. So to those who've heard me talk about UHL and wonder what it might be like, here's an example: if you can watch this video with mild annoyance at the audio that doesn't affect your ability to understand it? You're fortunate, because I could not understand 90% of the words he was saying. My brain went to 100% concentration when I realized what was happening with the sound, and even then, I could only understand a handful of words before those words added up to a context level where I could guess what the other sounds probably were, word-wise.

And no, in normal real-life situations, your good ear does not totally make up for that deficit.

Now, all of that said, I always try to buy headphones where the right earpiece is marked somehow (usually in red), and the earpieces can swivel so that I can put it on backwards and it still fits perfectly. So for videos like this, I just turn them around.

I really wish there was a mono option in Windows. That was one reason why I used my iPod Nano for so long; it had an easy-to-find mono option. (Yes, I listen to a lot of music in mono when listening through headphones. I started doing this years ago when I noticed how different music sounded through any speaker system--car, home, etc.--vs. how it sounded when "enjoying" true stereo separation with headphones.)

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

tarlibone posted:

I really wish there was a mono option in Windows. That was one reason why I used my iPod Nano for so long; it had an easy-to-find mono option. (Yes, I listen to a lot of music in mono when listening through headphones. I started doing this years ago when I noticed how different music sounded through any speaker system--car, home, etc.--vs. how it sounded when "enjoying" true stereo separation with headphones.)

On a whim I checked cause I used to play some older games on win 7 and had to turn mono on. Just checked on my work laptop.

Down at the volume icon where'd you turn the volume up or down (usually bottom right unless you use a non standard layout)

Right click -> open sound settings

Type in Mono at the top left (see image) one of the entries "turn mono audio on or off"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I'll have to try that. Thanks!

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!

Fun Shoe

Gus gets the water.
I get the Old Forester

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Easter Mornings means breakfast drinks while the kids dig into their Easter baskets. Mimosas for the wife and MIL, Harvey Walbanger for myself. Happy Easter folks!

\/\/\/ Just make two and offer her one. "Here babe, I made you a bloody mary!" Usually works with my wife

Hayden fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 4, 2021

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

I'm trying to gauge how early I can make a bloody mary without getting too much side eye from my wife. Happy Easter!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Bloody marys make me wish I didn't hate tomato juice. Ironically I make a great one.

Harvey wallbangers are fantastic and underappreciated.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I've never Harvied a Wallbanger. Do I need a bunch of crap to do it?

I have next week off, and I'm contemplating starting off with a right bloody hangover.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Whiskey sours are underrated. Shake it with lots of ice, and add some egg white. If you do it right, the froth on top will be cold enough to have little ice crystals in it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

tarlibone posted:

I'm contemplating starting off with a right bloody hangover.

Who are you, the Queen?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

tarlibone posted:

I've never Harvied a Wallbanger. Do I need a bunch of crap to do it?

I have next week off, and I'm contemplating starting off with a right bloody hangover.

Orange juice, vodka, and Galliano. Brown polyester pants and Joe Namath hair optional.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

Who are you, the Queen?

Yas.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

stealie72 posted:

Orange juice, vodka, and Galliano. Brown polyester pants and Joe Namath hair optional.

On my way to the liquor store and 24/7 Goodwill.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

tarlibone posted:

On my way to the liquor store and 24/7 Goodwill.
This is the kind of can-do spirit that built this country.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

stealie72 posted:

Brown polyester pants and Joe Namath hair optional.

But highly encouraged.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

Whiskey sours are underrated. Shake it with lots of ice, and add some egg white. If you do it right, the froth on top will be cold enough to have little ice crystals in it.
Do you have to shake it for like 10 minutes with the egg white in it, like a gin flip?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I had to buy an absurd amount of Galliano. After I paid, I looked behind the counter, and I could have bought half as much for $10 less.

So I hope there's a lot you can do with Galliano.

Because I have Galliano.

Lots.

(No oranges, though, so this will be sans garnish.)

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

tarlibone posted:

I had to buy an absurd amount of Galliano. After I paid, I looked behind the counter, and I could have bought half as much for $10 less.

So I hope there's a lot you can do with Galliano.

Because I have Galliano.

Lots.

(No oranges, though, so this will be sans garnish.)

If you don't have a 3 foot tall bottle of it, you do not have Galliano.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

stealie72 posted:

Do you have to shake it for like 10 minutes with the egg white in it, like a gin flip?

Pretty much exactly like that. Which reminds me, gin flips with brandy substituted for gin are also worth doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

stealie72 posted:

If you don't have a 3 foot tall bottle of it, you do not have Galliano.

Well, good news.

My cameraphone won't show the whole thing in one frame, even if I hold it vertically like a loving god damned fool. I mean, I could do it, but I'd have to stand so far back that you'd see more of my crappy kitchen.

Nope. But...

... this is a very interesting drink. Nice, even. Something I probably would never have tried. Thanks, thread!