Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

stealie72 posted:

If you don't have a 3 foot tall bottle of it, you do not have Galliano.

My uncle who recently passed spent his life as a bartender.

He always kept a bottle of Galliano under the bar. He has multiple stories about using them for self defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

tarlibone posted:

... this is a very interesting drink. Nice, even. Something I probably would never have tried. Thanks, thread!

One of us, one of us! Wait a minute...

Cardinals? Gross.

Captain Log posted:

My uncle who recently passed spent his life as a bartender.

He always kept a bottle of Galliano under the bar. He has multiple stories about using them for self defense.

I was a bartender for most of a decade. This is the other primary use for Galliano

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Hayden posted:

Cardinals? Gross.

I'm from St. Louis. Wait... I'm not even going to apologize. The Cardinals are the best team ever, and that's just science. I mean, an argument could be made for the Blues, I suppose....

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Hayden posted:

One of us, one of us! Wait a minute...

Cardinals? Gross.

I was a bartender for most of a decade. This is the other primary use for Galliano

Sloe Southern Bang against a Wall is a fun one to order. You usually get a look like, "How the fu- No, I can do that! Gimmie a minute." An opportunity for the bartender to make you something kinda vile, but they know you won't say anything about it.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

tarlibone posted:

I'm from St. Louis. Wait... I'm not even going to apologize. The Cardinals are the best team ever, and that's just science. I mean, an argument could be made for the Blues, I suppose....

I'm an Astros fan, it is my duty to talk poo poo when ever the Cards get brought up. I swear, that ball Pujols hit is still going...

One of my best friends at my old job is from St. Louis. It was a lot of fun watching him lose his mind when the Blues won the Cup. Almost made a fan out of me.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Let's talk scotch for a few, shall we?

I went through a big scotch phase in the early 2000s (when I had no kids and could afford it), then spent about 15 years too broke to care about it, but now can splurge on a <$50 bottle now and again. So I go back to my old tasting notebook and realize that a lot of the stuff I liked 15-20 years ago is no longer available, and the prices have gotten whackadoodle on a lot of what is still around thanks in part to the recent 25% tariff on imported whiskeys. Also, apparently nobody likes to drink iodine mixed with peat anymore, because a bunch of the mid-level Islays I loved are no longer available.

After a bunch of nerding out and doing some tasting I landed on Shackleton, which is a blend, but hits all the right notes of single malts I've loved in the past. And as a bonus, it's $30 a bottle.

The point of this post being, try some Shackleton.

And while I'm on low-end scotch, I was once again reminded how good Famous Grouse is for as cheap as it is.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

I picked up a bottle of Famous Grouse recently and wasn't particularly impressed. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not really my bag. I generally don't drink a ton of scotch these days, mostly stick to bourbon, but when I do it's usually Chivas Regal or Balvenie double wood. Scotch is one thing I don't mind spending ~$50 on a bottle of, because it tends to last a while.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

In the early 2000s or late 1990s, I tried to get into Scotch. I didn't have fancy Scotch money, but I figured I could splurge on a decent bottle here and there. I just never got into it. It tasted like it had all the parts of a typical American whiskey that typical American whiskeys try to mellow or hide--the alcohol flavor is right up front, for example.

And there is no way I just didn't try enough Scotches, let me tell you. I tried Johnnie Walker red and black.

I'm sure that if I had stuck with it, I'd have found a decent affordable brand that I acquired a taste for, and also a higher-tier brand that maybe I couldn't keep a bottle of around but that I could order up at a bar. But, this was also the time when I stopped caring so much about what looked cool and started liking my own quirky, often illogical tastes.

Ah, a man's mid-20s....

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I went through a scotch experiment phase and the only one I ever still drink is Laphroaig. Blended scotch is kinda missing the point in my opinion, it's neat to taste all the different regional varieties in single malts.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

I gave up on grabbing different Scotches to try a few years ago and just standardized on keeping Chivas Regal on hand for when the mood strikes. It's good, the price is right, and anything better is probably wasted on my uncultured palate.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Chivas has the added distinction of being Hunter S. Thompson's scotch of choice, if you're a fan of his.

*edit* G43, frustrating though that may be, good on you for taking steps for your health

Hayden fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 8, 2021

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

I always associate Chivas with uncles from The Old Country. Doesn't matter which one.

And now I want some.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Dewars white label is halfway decent scotch for the money. Smooth, a little smokey, and easy to drink.

In my case, apparently a little too easy. Too much alcohol is one of the leading causes of some stomach issues that have been plaguing me for the last few years. So, I recently have my last couple bottles of scotch to a coworker and have had to swear off booze altogether. gently caress getting old.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I don't drink a lot of scotch but Lagavulin and Glenlivet are nice. I really like the super overpowering smoky peaty taste.

I'm a fan of whiskey now (and beer, cheap beer even. Miller Lite or Sint Bernardus, I'm no judge). Jameson is solid and I like Tullamore Dew. I did some research and a bargain whiskey is Evan Williams. Here it's like $17 for a 750ml bottle. It's a bit harsher but reasonably smooth and solid.

I'm not too picky.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Jameson and Knob Creek both give me massive irregular heartbeats.

In retrospect, maybe the universe is trying to tell me something.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I don't drink a lot of scotch but Lagavulin and Glenlivet are nice. I really like the super overpowering smoky peaty taste.

I'm a fan of whiskey now (and beer, cheap beer even. Miller Lite or Sint Bernardus, I'm no judge). Jameson is solid and I like Tullamore Dew. I did some research and a bargain whiskey is Evan Williams. Here it's like $17 for a 750ml bottle. It's a bit harsher but reasonably smooth and solid.

I'm not too picky.

I have a story from a bar far, far away and a long, long time ago that you might appreciate. This guy comes in and orders, "Mer Lot, please and thank you." Our little bartender dutifully pours this big ol' redneck a glass of cheap red plonk. "What in the Hell is this? I asked for a Mer Lot, please and thank you."

"A Merlot?"
"Mer Lot."
"Merlot."
"Merler Leight."
"Oohhhhh. Small, medium, or large?"
"What's the biggest can you got?"

We were pretty sure he was fuckin' with her, but that didn't stop the table of us from busting out in laughter. I've heard worse ways of breaking the ice.

Also, Cutty Sark. It's kinda nasty but I like it. It has a drawing of a cool ship on it.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I have toured the Cutty Sark but I have not consumed any of it's labelled alcohol.

That's a pretty funny story too.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

tangy yet delightful posted:

I have toured the Cutty Sark but I have not consumed any of it's labelled alcohol.

That's a pretty funny story too.

She's on the bucket list. What a ship, what a history. Did you get to see her before the big fire?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

madeintaipei posted:

She's on the bucket list. What a ship, what a history. Did you get to see her before the big fire?

I visited the ship sometime in my high school years (grandparents in England so lots of trips), and I am old enough that it was before the big fire. Actually had to look up the date on that to be sure I hadn't forgotten about it being mentioned during the tour. I'm sure it'd still be an excellent visit.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!

Fun Shoe

stealie72 posted:

Let's talk scotch for a few, shall we?

I went through a big scotch phase in the early 2000s (when I had no kids and could afford it), then spent about 15 years too broke to care about it, but now can splurge on a <$50 bottle now and again. So I go back to my old tasting notebook and realize that a lot of the stuff I liked 15-20 years ago is no longer available, and the prices have gotten whackadoodle on a lot of what is still around thanks in part to the recent 25% tariff on imported whiskeys. Also, apparently nobody likes to drink iodine mixed with peat anymore, because a bunch of the mid-level Islays I loved are no longer available.

After a bunch of nerding out and doing some tasting I landed on Shackleton, which is a blend, but hits all the right notes of single malts I've loved in the past. And as a bonus, it's $30 a bottle.

The point of this post being, try some Shackleton.

And while I'm on low-end scotch, I was once again reminded how good Famous Grouse is for as cheap as it is.

You may like Black Grouse, it is a slightly smokier version. For good, cheap single malts I like Old Pulteney and Glenmorangie.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

tangy yet delightful posted:

I visited the ship sometime in my high school years (grandparents in England so lots of trips), and I am old enough that it was before the big fire. Actually had to look up the date on that to be sure I hadn't forgotten about it being mentioned during the tour. I'm sure it'd still be an excellent visit.

Neat!

I guess the important parts didn't burn, just things that were constantly being replaced in service. Makes no difference to me.

I have this idea to visit the last of the fast sailing ships: Cutty Sark and all the various Kriegsmarine training ships around the world.

The battleship New Jersey has been very active on Youtube during the pandemic, with Ryan the curator guiding us around the ship. Real neat, they go to a lot of parts that you'll never see even if you spent the night. She's on the bucket list, too.

Budweiser Chelada, but only because the corner store has been out of Modelo Michelada for a few days. Bud Chelada does not compare well, especially in Bud Light form.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Made a brewery pickup today and have a couple new things to try, yay Friday!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I need to do that, too. Just mowed the lawn. I've done so much crap around the house and garage this week, even though I had me a 24 last night, I want some brrrrs to go with tonight's feast of steak and potato and something else to be named later. (Maybe the green vegetable could be asparagus... that and a bunch of beer = funkypee!)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Drinking Milwaukee's Best Ice.

Don't judge me.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

I've become a huge fan, honestly. It A) comes in gigantic cans, B) is cheap as poo poo, and C) doesn't cause my gout to flare up, while getting me D)runk as gently caress.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Don't judge me.

What, were they out of Natty Daddies?

Kidding though, nothing wrong with some Beast Ice or its ilk.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I have danced with the BEaST many times.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I like to have beer and clean my guns after the range at night on my living room floor. I don't even keep ammo in the same room and always check extra just in case. An accident would be bad. An accident with alcohol in my system would probably be worse.

It's cathartic.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Alcohol and peeing on things. It goes together.

Ma! Get the gun cleanin' tarp!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

I'm enjoying a nice pisco sour and watching the sun go down over the ocean. Not a bad way to end the day.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Dip Viscous posted:

Alcohol and peeing on things. It goes together.

Ma! Get the gun cleanin' tarp!

Please don't pee on your guns. I use Hoppe's 9 solvent instead.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Please don't pee on your guns.

If you don't mark them, how does anyone know who owns them?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

infrared35 posted:

If you don't mark them, how does anyone know who owns them?

Well for your guns I think they'd just see .357SIG and know.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Indeed.