Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Okay. chicken prepared. Tomato paste and rest of the spices have been added to the pan now and that's all nicely toasted and aromatic.

Next step is getting the broth and coconut milk going and let it reduce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
drat OP that delivery driver makes more than I do. Truly living the Albertan dream.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Also everybody please post what percentage you tip your delivery drivers. Personally I'm too poor to afford delivery but I'm curious what our American friends tip. 50%? 100%?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Alright the curry is cooking down now. I'll add the chicken shortly. I'll try tasting it in about 20m.

Turns out my chicken broth is a bit older than I thought. Oh well, good I'm using it now then.

Things I might still adjust as part of the taste tests are my vinegar, the wine, more curry powder and maybe even more tomato paste.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
I live in a town small enough that there were once 3 chinese places but have dwindled to one. The one that's left just does whatever the gently caress they want (which isnt much) because theres no competition left

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

lambskin posted:

drat OP that delivery driver makes more than I do. Truly living the Albertan dream.

hell yeah it turns out alberta was the best province all along.

I think most americans tip 100%? It makes sense, 100% tip = 100% quality i think

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

the corona quid posted:

There’s no loving lamb in western Canada, I’ve yet to see any place that offers lamb shawarma, I’m assuming it would just be reduced to a charred husk and thrown out 90% of the time.

You must not be looking very hard

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

the corona quid posted:

There’s no loving lamb in western Canada, I’ve yet to see any place that offers lamb shawarma, I’m assuming it would just be reduced to a charred husk and thrown out 90% of the time.

There's lamb all over this place idk what you mean

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Methanar posted:

Alright the curry is cooking down now. I'll add the chicken shortly. I'll try tasting it in about 20m.

Turns out my chicken broth is a bit older than I thought. Oh well, good I'm using it now then.

Things I might still adjust as part of the taste tests are my vinegar, the wine, more curry powder and maybe even more tomato paste.

Post cooking whenever you want man sorry i doubted your thread. you should tip more though

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

There's a SHITLOAD of 'lamb' in Western Canada. Hell yeah there is. Lots of 'lamb' places and 'lamb' related items.

it's meth

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Big Beef City posted:

There's a SHITLOAD of 'lamb' in Western Canada. Hell yeah there is. Lots of 'lamb' places and 'lamb' related items.

it's meth

how dare you reveal my family secret so brazenly

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

it's meth

Got some meth right here bud :flipoff:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
goat and lamb are deffo rare here. I'd probably need to go to a halal butcher to actually buy any.

Its okay though because both are expensive and inferior meats. Especially goat. I've tried it a few times but its just weird and stringy. And every place that serves it does it in these chunks of bone so you're fighting to chew off these stringy meat from a bone piece and why.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Okay chicken has been added while everything cooks. I'm going to just microwave my naan when I'm ready to eat. Cleaned up my counters, knives and cutting boards. This wine sucks, like most alcohol, but maybe I can choke down a bit here after putting a splash into my food. I just want to get rid of it, but also not waste it.

It was a present from 3 years ago.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

That looks like poo poo

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
okay it's cooked down for a while so I made a taste test.

Not bad, bit of a weak flavor so I added two more big scoops of curry powder, my splash of wine that was twice as big as I intended, and a splash of vinegar.

I warmed up a piece of naan and now it's good. Going to let it reduce for just a few more minutes to evaporate some of that extra liquid I just added and then I'm going to eat it.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

bird with big dick posted:

That looks like poo poo

The pictures aren't coming out great, I agree. My phone is from 2014 so its camera doesn't look all that great either. And the battery is low so I can't use the flash either.

It looks a nice vivid red in person.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Final product. It tastes good. The wine fruityness is coming through really well actually.

I have some plums on the side that I bought when I was at the store for the onions.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

beep-boop, I'm a Nummy Bacon Bot. I scrape your posts for bacon points!

To get your current bacon points message me with !bacon_points

To opt out of collecting nummy bacon points, just put me on ignore!

Methanar posted:

Final product. It tastes good. The wine fruityness is coming through really well actually.

I have some plums on the side that I bought when I was at the store for the onions.

What are the grapes doing there??

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

NGC773 posted:

What are the grapes doing there??

Dessert and palate cleanser

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

that naan is anemic af

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Okay thoughts while I eat.

The chicken absorbed a lot of the wine. There is a slight tinge to the broth, but biting into the chicken gives you a big burst of the wine flavor. Unexpected.

I also have way less naan that I'm going to need to eat this. I'll need to make a pot of rice to finish this later.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Really enjoying not tipping while I eat here.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Methanar posted:

Really enjoying not tipping while I eat here.

One step forward, two steps back, eh?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'm thinking about coq au vin as my next thing to cook. I have some chicken thighs in my freezer and it would be a good way to use the rest of this gross wine and my half bottle of chicken stock I have left over.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

when I see chef knives (santoku) with solid metal handles I get this weird ethereal sensation that I can't place.

Like knowing how slick that metal could feel while prepping food and the dull patinated feel of wet metal in my hand and an almost acidic metalic taste in my mouth on top of all of it and it just freaks me out

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Big Beef City posted:

when I see chef knives (santoku) with solid metal handles I get this weird ethereal sensation that I can't place.

Like knowing how slick that metal could feel while prepping food and the dull patinated feel of wet metal in my hand and an almost acidic metalic taste in my mouth on top of all of it and it just freaks me out

this isn't the anime lust thread

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

esperterra posted:

There's lamb all over this place idk what you mean

There’s no lamb shawarma. You can get kebabs but I would assume that’s cheaper for a lower volume product

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
kudos for working in your kitchen. I'd eat that curry. Heat up the naan in an oven though, don't mistreat your bread with a microwave! But good job dude!

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Methanar posted:

goat and lamb are deffo rare here. I'd probably need to go to a halal butcher to actually buy any.

Its okay though because both are expensive and inferior meats. Especially goat. I've tried it a few times but its just weird and stringy. And every place that serves it does it in these chunks of bone so you're fighting to chew off these stringy meat from a bone piece and why.

A true goon all of your poo poo is expired. Naan from March I love it

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Just anecdotal but in general I find lamb is harder to find than most types of fish here. After shoot shovel and shut up all the idiots here made beef stupidly over abundant in some idiotic patriotism of the local food supply chain.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

the corona quid posted:

There’s no lamb shawarma. You can get kebabs but I would assume that’s cheaper for a lower volume product

Where are you on the west coast? I could throw a a rock in Vancouver and probably hit a Donair King/Town/Spot that serves lamb. That's without taking into account all the Greek places you could order a gyro.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

beep-boop, I'm a Nummy Bacon Bot. I scrape your posts for bacon points!

To get your current bacon points message me with !bacon_points

To opt out of collecting nummy bacon points, just put me on ignore!
Anyone made Pad Thai recently?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

esperterra posted:

Where are you on the west coast? I could throw a a rock in Vancouver and probably hit a Donair King/Town/Spot that serves lamb. That's without taking into account all the Greek places you could order a gyro.

Alberta. I’d assume it’s more widely available on the coast given you actually can import that poo poo through a port and there’s probably a bigger market for it

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

the corona quid posted:

Alberta. I’d assume it’s more widely available on the coast given you actually can import that poo poo through a port and there’s probably a bigger market for it

Fair enough. Though when I grew up up North p close to the Alberta border, getting lamb was still easy enough. Granted that was getting a whole rear end lamb for our own freezer and not going to an establishment for a gyro or w/e. I haven't gone to any donair/shawarma/gyro places in Alberta so idk

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Internetjack posted:

kudos for working in your kitchen. I'd eat that curry. Heat up the naan in an oven though, don't mistreat your bread with a microwave! But good job dude!

hell yeah

the corona quid posted:

Can confirm basically no lamb here.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Okay I did all my dishes and containerized the leftovers.

Thinking now I actually make some nanaimo bars for dessert. I'd need to go back to the store to buy some stuff, but it might be worth it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

gently caress YOU METH

now i want a nanaimo bar

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

esperterra posted:

gently caress YOU METH

now i want a nanaimo bar

Adbot