Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You don't need to be that far from a paved road to have issues, just look up stories of tourists getting trampled by bison in Yellowstone. Sure there's a culture shift to take into account when coming to the US because services can be so spread out, but it's just as easy to get yourself killed outdoors in Europe as it is in NA.

People not taking enough water in the SW is more about unfamiliarity with the desert than the acreage of wildlands in your hometown, Europe has only one desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They did it with topographic maps and a compass which everyone should still be packing with them even with google maps on hand.

The crews that made those topographic maps were certifiable badasses though. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well I was painting with a broad brush. I knew aerial imagery was most of it but I figured ground surveys were used a lot too.

Even if it was 100% aerial, someone had to go over them with a loupe to produce the maps so they still get a nod from me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We were car camping in SW Colorado a couple weeks ago, and a group of teenagers rolled up in a couple big vans and disgorged about ten of them into the campground. They were fine until it got dark and the sensitive one pulled out his guitar and started playing the same crappy chord progression for half an hour.. until some old lady nearby yelled "can you play your guitar tomorrow?!" It actually got him to put the guitar away.

Was in earshot of the camp host too, their claim the next morning was they can only report noise problems to the police and not actually engage with the offenders.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can't speak for internet wizard but that's why I hate them. OHV's gently caress everything up, whenever a meathead sees a hill they're gonna mash the throttle trying to get up it and spray dirt everywhere. It might be fine if one person did it every couple years but once the tire marks are there everyone is gonna hit it and it destroys any plant life trying to make a home. Then the erosion starts and the place is forever ruined.

At least snowmobiles operate on a surface that is transient so it doesn't matter if you tear it up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chilling out in a NF campground waiting for dark to watch the meteor shower tonight, hear occasional "go on, get!" commands from other campsites and they're getting louder and closer. Then of course it's my turn for an unleashed dog to stroll into my campsite and sniff at all my poo poo.

No one ever comes for the dog, no one claims ownership, apparently it's a brand new community pupper for us all to take care of.

What kind of cretin do you have to be to set up camp, leave your dog unleashed, then leave it behind to gently caress off for an exciting day of making GBS threads up public lands?

(making an assumption on the last part but it's probably correct)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I did a hike recently where I found a forgotten/abandoned hydration pack near the turnaround point. It was very convenient because I had forgotten to bring a plastic bag for trash. By the time I got back to the car there were three baggies of dog poo and two plastic bottles stuffed in to it.. was a relatively busy trail so the percentage of idiots that pass through creates a lot more garbage.

Not sure how to feel about the hydration pack though. It was clearly not trash but I don't feel a strong obligation to try and connect people to stuff they leave laying around and I certainly don't want to take ownership of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tale as old as tourism:

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article263021718.html

"The hikers weren’t prepared for their trek. They didn’t pack extra clothing to stay dry, and their tent had no rain fly, officials said. The hikers also didn’t have extra food or water, and they didn’t have layers to survive the night temperatures. “These hikers said they did not understand why it was so cold and rainy in Colorado, because it has been ‘so hot in Texas’ where they hike all the time,” rescuers said. “They never checked any weather forecasts.”"

They pitched their tent at ~11,000 feet.