Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Did you run into someone being a complete an total toolbag while outdoors? Post about it here, because as we all know, there is nothing goons like more than laughing at idiots/jerks/weirdos!

I'll start with something from a while ago. South of the main channel I use to go out into the gulf is another channel that services a well to do neighborhood full of overpriced mcmansions and overly fancy boats. On the north edge of this channel is a very long wall of large rocks that are just under the surface at low tide, and even at high tide with smooth water I'd be leary about going over them in my flats boat. Well, one day while out snorkeling on a nearby flat, me and some friends got to witness some yahoo in a brand new deep v center console boat come hauling rear end down that channel and do what was possibly the dumbest thing possible. They decided to not run to the end of the channel before turning to the north and immediately slammed their nice new shiny boat right up onto these rocks. We waited just long enough to see that everyone was generally alright before just sitting and laughing like a bunch jerks. I imagine the seatow bill and hull repairs set them back a pretty penny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The best rule I've ever seen for boat ramps is the bigger and/or more expensive the boat, the more fuckery will be involved on the ramp. The aluminum john boat with a vintage 70s 'rude on the back will be in/out before you can blink and the brotruck launching a 24' deep v that might as well have been driven straight from the dealership will take the better part of 30 minutes to launch or recover.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

While planning some fall/early winter fishing days, I was reminded of a really dumb interaction I had.

There is a local wilderness preserve situated on what used to be a big limestone mine. The big pits have been allowed to fill with water and FWC has added a bunch of native aquatic plants along with stocking a bunch of freshwater fish varieties to make it a self sustaining pond. The main ponds are up to 60ft deep in places so they are pretty slow to change temps and the main ponds remain nearly crystal clear. This makes them super popular to swim in that first month or so of warm days in spring here. These ponds are also a locally popular year round fishing area, with bass up to 8lbs being pulled out.

So one of the first times I was at this park, I had walked the bank trying different spots, making sure to avoid areas where people were swimming. Finally I got to the far north eastern corner of the main pond where two little fingers of land pointed out making a semi protected little pocket. An absolutely perfect little spot to fish so I drop my gear on the shore and proceed to make some exploratory casts. This spot turns out to be awesome and I'm getting bit on every other cast.

I'm at this spot maybe 15 minutes when some dude looking like an extra from a miami vice beach scene comes rocking up with his son and starts setting up towels, a boombox blasting crappy house music, snacks, etc. The noise is annoying, but whatever, not too big a deal, I guess dude just wants to chill in the sun with his kiddo. Except no. Dude takes a running jump off the shore and right into the middle of where I'm retrieving my lures, then starts encouraging his kid to jump in the same spot. Yes, tell your small child to jump where someone is pulling a razor sharp fishing hook through the water, a+ loving idea. I yell out and ask dude wtf he is doing, he tells me its a public park I can find a different spot to fish, I inform him his heads so far up his rear end he could make a plaster cast of it, etc.

We both wound up packing up our stuff and finding new spots and I caught bigger fish in another pond that day, but still, dude was a jackass. Thankfully its the only time I've had to deal with people trying to swim where I'm fishing. Usually its people having their dogs (that are not allowed in this park at all for extremely good reasons) jump into the water where I'm fishing which is at least a one and done kinda thing.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My favorite is the preserve that bans all dogs yet every other jackhole has an unleashed dog that wants to jump into the pond I'm fishing. :argh: