Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

This is a fun thread that I'm glad I found. I think my favorite idiot hiker story is the guy who bear sprayed his hiking partner in Glacier and then got pissy at my group because none of us had any water to help flush out his eyes and face (this was the last quarter mile of the highline trail so all of our water had been drunk by that point). Thing is, I saw the whole thing happen because they were maybe ten/fifteen yards in front of us. The bear was well off the trail and minding its own business eating berries. The guy just panicked and ripped out the spray and went to town without warning his friend who I don't even think had seen the bear yet. Good times.

My other favorite idiot hiker story is from the Lava Canyon hike on the south side of Mount Saint Helens. Very short hike but there's a 30 foot ladder you have to climb down/back up about 3/4s of the way down to the end. Ran into a guy who ate a bunch of mushrooms down there and was just staring up at the ladder terrified to try to climb it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Oh this reminds me of one of my favorites. I was helping my wife do her field research back when she was in grad school. She'd been doing surveys in a wetland along one side of this lake in a national park, and every morning a cow moose and her calf would come poke around and graze down the bank a ways and they all got along just fine. One morning, this couple who had been backcountry camping in the area happened to be down at the lake at the same time and the woman saw the moose. So she blunders down to the edge of the lake, gets between the cow and calf, and started taking pictures of the calf. Mama moose immediately got irate and started charging her and coughing and stomping and generally being a huge mostly unhinged tank of an ungulate. The lady took off up through the trees blowing a whistle as hard as she could and yelling. My wife had a park service ranger radio and we were just sure we were going to have to radio down to HQ for a ranger to bring a bag up and scraper this idiot into it while we consoled her husband. It all ended fine, but man I hope that woman felt the fullness of her stupidity for a long time after that.

People and wildlife just always result in the stupidist interactions. I don't know what goes through people's heads. I guess not hiking but I love when people just come to a complete stop in the middle of a curvy rural highway and get out to start snapping photos.