Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the sandwich is in the fridge crisping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the sandwich was kinda bad. had I had banana sauce it would've been o.k. though. not good. no matter how well made it was, it would never be good, let alone perfect, just kinda o.k. or, at best, interesting.

for the sauce I mixed dried italian herbs, lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, brown sugar (the banana sauce substitution), and tapatio. I put too much brown sugar in and ruined it, but I was kinda done messing with mixing at that point. if I'd had banana sauce it would've been fine.

I still had those mushrooms from the notion that I would make mushroom ketchup with them, fried them up and topped the sandwich with them.

composition-wise, just too much meat, had I left the salami out and just done bacon and shrooms it would've been better. had I used less salami or used something I like more than cotto salami it also would've been better. I see why the bacon is included though, it's the main source of saltiness in the sandwich. this was the clue that belied the nature of the sandwich to me, it's supposed to be one of those things where every texture and flavor remains strictly divided. instead of a spread like mustard or mayo, it's a dressing so you layer it in a way that the bread remains separate from the sauce, the produce and the meat remain independent from each other by way of the dressing and the bacon is an island unto itself by way of being the only thing salty. it's a bad sandwich, like, it could be fine but the effort that goes into making it is wasted and is wasted in such a way that it makes for a worse sandwich. even if I'd made it better, knowing what I know now, it would still only ever be kind of o.k.. and a 30 second iceberg/mayo/cotto sandwich would always be better. the sandwich is a reflection of robin's micromanagement, compartmentalization and inability to deal with complexities. it's a bad sandwich but 5 seconds of sight gags summing up a character (even one who is one dimensional) so incisively is a goddamn triumph of the art.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Ever since I first read Scott Pilgrim I wanted to make the shepherd's pie recipe from the second volume. Tonight was the night. It's my sixth wedding anniversary and I wanted something comforting and cozy to serve for an evening at home.

Well, I'm not 22 and I don't want to use gravy from an envelope, so I made a few changes. I made the gravy from scratch and also put a little more oomph into the mashed potatoes. I also took out the celery and used two cups of green peas instead.

It wasn't bad! The fake meat I used was not my favorite ever--- this was just Wegman's store brand-- and the gravy was very, very rich, but it was a nice hearty meal. I'm also not vegan so I put some cheese on top at the last second.

My wife spoke much more highly of it. I think this kind of very (fake) meat and potatoes rich cuisine is just not what I'm naturally drawn to-- I ended every day I spent in Ireland with a bit of a tummy ache. She's much more of a "beef stew, pot roast, and steak" kind of person so the fact that she enjoyed it made me really happy. For a one-off treat I think I did an ok job extrapolating from a fairly bare-bones recipe and making something nice.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 28, 2020

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

^ that looks great! I approve of a pea-based substitution; I love peas.

Anyway, it's a real bummer that the Mighty Marvel Superheroes' Cookbook isn't available on Marvel Unlimited. It is available, posted in full or close to it, on somebody's blog. I won't link because :filez: but it's out there and not hard to find.

And like almost all cookbooks, it's a time capsule of the culture that produced it: in this case, the olden days of 1977. First up, the recipes are terrible. Just the worst of midcentury American cooking. Almost all the recipes involve "convenience" ingredients. Canned soup? Oh my stars and garters, yes! Canned vegetables instead of fresh? By the hoary hosts of Hoggoth, you'd better believe it! It's a good reminder of how we have moved on (well, many of us have) culinarily: Glob Herman's vegetarian laksa recipe, by contrast, uses lots of fresh ingredients and shows a cultural influence broader than "The Campbell Soup Company." (To be fair, while it's not a difficult recipe, it's also way more work than anything in the MMSC.)

The 1977 cookbook is also casually, cringily racist, especially with Shang-Chi's rice recipe and a kung-fu foe of his speaking fake Chinese. I was worried we'd have chicken recipes from Luke Cage but fortunately (?) there's just a picture of a worried-looking Howard the Duck.

Namor's tuna salad is fine, I guess. And baked hoagies are good, though I wonder what size bread Cap imagines us using that calls for a quarter cup of margarine but only three slices of ham? But Spidey's "parmigiani" is a real :wtf:. It's a Monte Cristo sandwich! That's a perfectly good sandwich. Spidey, you're from Queens! You know about eggplant/chicken/veal parmesan; why give yours a fake Italian name? Just say "it's gooey, like my web fluid!" or something.

This is another favorite of mine:

Doctor Strange doesn't have time to cook!

It's probably not fair for me, an experienced cook in 2020, to make fun of a cookbook from 1977, written for kids and non-cooking nerds, in a time when cooking was way more of a niche hobby than it is today. It's a fun read and I encourage everybody to seek it out. But it's tough for me to find much that I'd actually want to make from it!

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
https://www.marvel.com/articles/culture-lifestyle/hit-monkey-banana-bread

In case this is of interest to anyone?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
This week's Strange Academy has a bunch of recipes at the back

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Zombie Dachshund posted:

^ that looks great! I approve of a pea-based substitution; I love peas.

Anyway, it's a real bummer that the Mighty Marvel Superheroes' Cookbook isn't available on Marvel Unlimited. It is available, posted in full or close to it, on somebody's blog. I won't link because :filez: but it's out there and not hard to find.

And like almost all cookbooks, it's a time capsule of the culture that produced it: in this case, the olden days of 1977. First up, the recipes are terrible. Just the worst of midcentury American cooking. Almost all the recipes involve "convenience" ingredients. Canned soup? Oh my stars and garters, yes! Canned vegetables instead of fresh? By the hoary hosts of Hoggoth, you'd better believe it! It's a good reminder of how we have moved on (well, many of us have) culinarily: Glob Herman's vegetarian laksa recipe, by contrast, uses lots of fresh ingredients and shows a cultural influence broader than "The Campbell Soup Company." (To be fair, while it's not a difficult recipe, it's also way more work than anything in the MMSC.)

The 1977 cookbook is also casually, cringily racist, especially with Shang-Chi's rice recipe and a kung-fu foe of his speaking fake Chinese. I was worried we'd have chicken recipes from Luke Cage but fortunately (?) there's just a picture of a worried-looking Howard the Duck.

Namor's tuna salad is fine, I guess. And baked hoagies are good, though I wonder what size bread Cap imagines us using that calls for a quarter cup of margarine but only three slices of ham? But Spidey's "parmigiani" is a real :wtf:. It's a Monte Cristo sandwich! That's a perfectly good sandwich. Spidey, you're from Queens! You know about eggplant/chicken/veal parmesan; why give yours a fake Italian name? Just say "it's gooey, like my web fluid!" or something.

This is another favorite of mine:

Doctor Strange doesn't have time to cook!

It's probably not fair for me, an experienced cook in 2020, to make fun of a cookbook from 1977, written for kids and non-cooking nerds, in a time when cooking was way more of a niche hobby than it is today. It's a fun read and I encourage everybody to seek it out. But it's tough for me to find much that I'd actually want to make from it!

I imagine a fun project could be taking the mostly terrible recipes from that book and use them as the inspiration for actually good recipes, kinda like what Binging With Babish did in the Homer's Moon Waffles episode where he first made Homer's recipe accurately(which was both terrible and broke his waffle iron) and then made his own take on the basic concept but done in a way that would actually be good

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

banana sauce is back in stock but rather than revisit that horrible sandwich I made filipino spaghetti

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I admire Filipino spaghetti because I consider it a comrade and a brother to my beloved Cincinnati Chili

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it's weird how sacrosanct spaghetti noodles are that regional toppings for them are viewed as taboo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

I command this thread to RISE FROM ITS GRAVY and return!

Marvel Unlimited has brought out two issues(?) episodes(?) of a web comic called "TEST kitchen" featuring a young chef cooking for Tony Stark. It's not a very good comic! (and I don't think it's intended to be much of a comic.) But it is written by an actual chef and contains actual recipes. The first one is for a torta milanesa and the second is for linguini alle vongole. The recipes are slight twists on classics, and they look good! And it's striking how they are pitched at such a higher level than the Mighty Marvel Superheroes' Cookbook: they aren't crazy complex but do require some knowledge of technique and multiple steps. There are some nicely detailed instructions; they probably wouldn't be the worst way to learn some cooking skills. Mostly it's remarkable to me to see how much the culture has changed since the 1970s...