Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020
Cobra Kai is on Netflix. Kind of lame so far but the first fight scene was ok.

I wonder if it is going to be a good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

this thread and its contents made me curious, so i went and checked and i was really surprised to see that Livejournal is actually still in existence. apparently it sits under russian law now, which is weird

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Season one was way better than I expected, if I hadn’t heard some rave reviews I never would have watched. The out of touch 80s bad guy is a great character.

Season two seems like it was produced for Nickelodeon.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Watched the original again last night and now into the first season, I'm really enjoying it. The original movie is so good watching it now I realize how much his mom owns and wants him to he happy.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020
The original movie is awesome. It's cool Ralph Macchio and William Zabka are in the TV series, but i'm thinking this show missed an opportunity. It seems a little Disney to me.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Snowy posted:

Season two seems like it was produced for Nickelodeon.

IMO, season 2 might be worse, but "Martin Kove is still alive, acting, and in this show" is such a big twist that it makes the season all on its own.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
The Karate Kid is about Kesuke Miyagi, an immigrant who fought against his own people in World War II, while his WIFE lost a CHILD in AN INTERNMENT CAMP. Noriyuki Morita was nominated for an Academy Award for his performance. Ralph Macchio? Showed up.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

IMO, season 2 might be worse, but "Martin Kove is still alive, acting, and in this show" is such a big twist that it makes the season all on its own.

Yeah it’s cool he’s around but his scenes aren’t as interesting as the Daniel/Johnny stuff.

But so far the whole show is about misunderstandings and that’s getting old.

“I thought you hated me”
“I thought you were rich”
“I thought you were the one who ruined my car/dojo/whatever”

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The sad part is when I’m surprised all these people are still alive, then I realize they’re not that much older than me.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
It's kind of a self aware soap opera with some karate. I think it is a good enjoyable show.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Season 1 is enjoyable enough but Season 2 goes full Riverdale with stupid contrived soap opera bullshit and stumbling upon misunderstandings and it's just dire

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It really does feel like a show for kids which is weird because it's based on nostalgia for a kids movie from 30 years ago and they drop F bombs all over the place. very confused vibes on who the audience is supposed to be.

it's entertaining tho.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

veni veni veni posted:

It really does feel like a show for kids which is weird because it's based on nostalgia for a kids movie from 30 years ago and they drop F bombs all over the place. very confused vibes on who the audience is supposed to be.

it's entertaining tho.

Teenagers and their parents would be the target audience I assume

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Karate High Rules!

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Truly this is a new golden age for karate based media

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

S1 was legitimately good; way better than I expected given the premise. I haven’t caught s2 yet though.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Pawn 17 posted:

S1 was legitimately good; way better than I expected given the premise. I haven’t caught s2 yet though.

Season 2 really leans into how silly the melodrama of high school where everyone knows karate aspect of the show is. If you're a bad person you might not like it but all good people will.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
I wonder if Hilary Swank (The Next Karate Kid) was approached to do Cobra Kai, but passed on it to do Away instead. And now Away is #2 on Netflix, and Cobra Kai is #1. That's gotta be frustrating.

I hope they bring her in for one of the later seasons. I am curious if Julie did more with her Karate in the last 30 years (or 20 years for her, I guess) than just a car dealership ad gimmick.

Blurry Gray Thing fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 6, 2020

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Cubone posted:

The Karate Kid is about Kesuke Miyagi, an immigrant who fought against his own people in World War II, while his WIFE lost a CHILD in AN INTERNMENT CAMP. Noriyuki Morita was nominated for an Academy Award for his performance. Ralph Macchio? Showed up.

Yeah I recently rewatched this and obviously this gets glossed over as a little kid but holy poo poo I cannot suspend disbelief enough that a Japanese immigrant is allowed to be in the US military during WWII.

Though he doesn’t fight the Japanese, he fights the Germans. He says so when really drunk talking about when his wife died. Very bumbling but he says “Ready to fight the Germans, sir!”

Also when I was a kid I always thought he was in the Japanese army and his wife died from the a-bomb.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
Is this the new Bob’s Burger thread? I have not seen either (neither?).

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

iSimian posted:

Is this the new Bob’s Burger thread? I have not seen either (neither?).

If preceded by not then either but you could say "I have seen neither" as neither is a contraction of not either.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

The drop in quality between Karate Kid 2 and Karate Kid 3 is even worse than the drop between Aliens and Alien 3, but not as bad as RoboCop2 and Robocop3.

FrankTheSpank
Oct 15, 2003

Sweep the leg.
Leg has been swept.

Guy that dies in season 2 dies IRL...

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Daniel straight up neglects his son because the kid's a goon. He only likes his daughter because she's into karate. Then he basically (S2 spoiler) adopts Johnny's son because he's cool and likes karate.

He's an awful father and nobody calls him on it which bothers me more than the idiot plot.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

dialhforhero posted:

Yeah I recently rewatched this and obviously this gets glossed over as a little kid but holy poo poo I cannot suspend disbelief enough that a Japanese immigrant is allowed to be in the US military during WWII.

Though he doesn’t fight the Japanese, he fights the Germans. He says so when really drunk talking about when his wife died. Very bumbling but he says “Ready to fight the Germans, sir!”
That's not remotely a disbelief thing, it's a very real thing
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese-American_service_in_World_War_II
http://encyclopedia.densho.org/Japanese_Americans_in_military_during_World_War_II/

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Tbh that's a normal reaction to a goon

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

DickParasite posted:

He's an awful father and nobody calls him on it

I haven’t finished season 2 but I love that Daniel is frequently a dickhead if not the villain. They made the Johnny and Daniel characters a lot more interesting than I would have expected.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
William Zabka has a sense of humor about being every bad guy in the 80s. He even directed a video for No More Kings called "Sweep The Leg" largely based on the Karate Kid legacy with some 'Back to School' mixed in. You can find out more at your local library or by clicking the youtube video link below. In conclusion: William Zabka, land of many contrasts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olQ3vaiv47I

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Snowy posted:

I haven’t finished season 2 but I love that Daniel is frequently a dickhead if not the villain. They made the Johnny and Daniel characters a lot more interesting than I would have expected.

Johnny and Daniel both being stuck in the 80s in different ways definitely elevates the show. A few of the kids have good arcs too. But still half the show's plots would be resolved if characters just talked to each other.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

DickParasite posted:

But still half the show's plots would be resolved if characters just talked to each other.

And it’s frustrating that this happens just about every every episode

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020
So far it is pure nostalgia that is holding me to watching this show. But it is interesting how, unlike in Karate Kid, I find myself rooting for Zabka.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DickParasite posted:

Daniel straight up neglects his son because the kid's a goon. He only likes his daughter because she's into karate. Then he basically (S2 spoiler) adopts Johnny's son because he's cool and likes karate.

He's an awful father and nobody calls him on it which bothers me more than the idiot plot.

To be fair he tries to get his fat little goony
son to engage with poo poo all the time but the kid just wants to crush some sweet video games.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

veni veni veni posted:

To be fair he tries to get his fat little goony
son to engage with poo poo all the time

In season 1 that's true. In season 2 they ship the kid to computer camp (or something equally dorky) for the entire run. We see him for two seconds in the first episode and two seconds in the last episode. Neither Daniel or the kid's mother even mentions their only son for the entire summer vacation period that season 2 takes place over. During this time Mrs. LaRusso frequently chastises Daniel for putting too much pressure on his daughter, and for neglecting the car dealership for his little karate bootcamp hobby.

Snowy posted:

And it’s frustrating that this happens just about every every episode

every. single. episode.

DickParasite fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 7, 2020

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I've honestly been thinking about cancelling by netflix subscription lately. It's always sunny has gone downhill and that - along with deep space nine - was one of the few reasons I still have it. Maybe I'll give this a go.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Valko posted:

I've honestly been thinking about cancelling by netflix subscription lately. It's always sunny has gone downhill and that - along with deep space nine - was one of the few reasons I still have it. Maybe I'll give this a go.

drat, Miggy just beat the poo poo out of some high school kids with a lunch tray while 80s metal played in the background.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I've watched the trailer and now I'm interested but something was bugging me. Middle aged Ralph Macchio reminded me of someone and I couldn't figure out who - then it clicked.

Another thing I can't wrap my head around, Ralph is FIFTY EIGHT years old! He looked about 15 in karate kid but he was 22. That lowtax picture up there is from 2003.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020
Cobra Kai is a real only trust your fists kind of dojo.

Class, are you ready to learn the way of the fist?

Yes, sensei.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Danny was a little rear end in a top hat

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Just finished the second season. The first is better by far but Johnny’s dream sequence made it all worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I love the hawk screech that plays every time Hawk whoops someones rear end.