Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I have something like this up in TGO and I'd like to do it here too. Basically this is a place to discuss community issue, for users to ask me questions on moderating or whatever else in a public venue dedicated to it. Think mini qcs but solely for AI with some extra utility, you can even call me a big doody head if you want, I won't get mad. I may get kinda sad if you do though. :(

The one thing I will hold firm on is that this is not for calling out your posting enemies. Report bad posters/posts and I'll review them there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
AI has a mod?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

In as much as we need one, yes. :v:

And an IK for CA and the EV thread! :sun:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Can I just say that modding, as all unpaid volunteer work, can be crap, so I believe I speak for all of AI when I thank you for doing this, and making sure we have a not lovely forum to talk about cars and life in.

I have a proposal though. Back in the day, when camera phones were a new thing, we had a "post cellphone pics" thread, which was actually kinda cool. IoC merged that, the good/bad threads and one more I can't remember, but I'd like to propose a rerun, maybe along the lines of:

Must be your own pic/OC.
Must be a quick snap of something cool/odd/interesting/fugly.

Thoughts?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I like that idea, so long as the OC part is enforced.

bolind posted:

Can I just say that modding, as all unpaid volunteer work, can be crap, so I believe I speak for all of AI when I thank you for doing this, and making sure we have a not lovely forum to talk about cars and life in.

And this.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

bolind posted:

I have a proposal though. Back in the day, when camera phones were a new thing, we had a "post cellphone pics" thread, which was actually kinda cool. IoC merged that, the good/bad threads and one more I can't remember, but I'd like to propose a rerun, maybe along the lines of:

Must be your own pic/OC.
Must be a quick snap of something cool/odd/interesting/fugly.

Thoughts?

So long as its AI related, I'm down. vOv

I've been thinking of setting up a driving game thread here in AI like CA has. Either using the CA rules or doing it with numbers in order. Like find a road sign with the number 3 on it type deal, take a picture of the sign with your vehicle and post it. Then you find a road sign with the number 4 on it and take a picture, etc. Give us a community activity to enjoy that gets us out of the house in a responsible way. vOv

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's kinda easy mode for those of us that live in areas that have addresses that run well into the 5 digits. For example, I'm on the 15000 block of my street... and addresses are posted at mailboxes. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The idea is more for like the number 4, you go find a sign for rt4/I-4/hwy 4/4th st/etc. Then do the same for 5. :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Elmnt80 posted:

I've been thinking of setting up a driving game thread here in AI like CA has. Either using the CA rules or doing it with numbers in order. Like find a road sign with the number 3 on it type deal, take a picture of the sign with your vehicle and post it. Then you find a road sign with the number 4 on it and take a picture, etc. Give us a community activity to enjoy that gets us out of the house in a responsible way. vOv

The riding games are fun, go for it.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for modding elemnt80, it’s what makes AI / SA special. The good kind of special.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Elmnt80 posted:

I have something like this up in TGO and I'd like to do it here too. Basically this is a place to discuss community issue, for users to ask me questions on moderating or whatever else in a public venue dedicated to it. Think mini qcs but solely for AI with some extra utility, you can even call me a big doody head if you want, I won't get mad. I may get kinda sad if you do though. :(

The one thing I will hold firm on is that this is not for calling out your posting enemies. Report bad posters/posts and I'll review them there.

You're a big doodoo head for accepting the mantle of mod. <3

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Elmnt80 posted:

I'm totally down for that. I used to be a regular doing it in ca and it was kind of fun. The additional people in AI would probably be a good thing.

Letting the winner choose the next challenge is kind of fun as well and they can make it as difficult or easy as they want. Some of the challenges were really interesting...I came up with a few good ones myself. I remember one was take a picture of your bike in the same spot as a historical picture that you found. People had pictures of the same road and area from years ago and then a modern picture with their ride. Kind of fun, especially if you try to replicate the angle exactly.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 15, 2022

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

Krakkles posted:

Hey, slack mods said they wanted this discussed here instead of there:

ADTRW as an initialism is a rape joke (Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse). Apparently at some point the mods of ADTRW decided that sort of wasn't cool, so they hand-waved that it means something else, but I think it's still pretty Not Ok. The #1 google result for ADTRW is the subforum itself, #2 is UrbanDictionary explaining that it stands for Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse.

Can we not participate in this name change with a rape joke?

I get that some people are comfortable with "they changed what they say it stands for and that's good enough for me", but I'm not, and I don't think I'm the only one.

I think AI is better than this and I'd like us to show it.

+1 to this. I mostly lurk in AI (but have been known to post every now and again). I've been around SA long enough that, well, ADTRW is a rape joke, no matter what the letters get changed into on any given week. It's true that ADTRW came about At A Different Time In The Site's History, when AI had plenty of rape jokes flying around too, but... we got rid of them, and I don't think we should have to be party to another subforum's ongoing rape joke.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
aren't we like, making fun of their weird self referential absurdist rape joke?

i don't really have an opinion on this yet

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

aren't we like, making fun of their weird self referential absurdist rape joke?

i don't really have an opinion on this yet

Nope. The idea was to backronym one of the other forum names to "dress up" as them as a joke for halloween. The ADTRW backronym was the funniest one I could come up with that had some sort of AI flavor to it. The admins found it amusing enough to break the normal 32 character limit on forum names and also branded the anime forum as AI: Anime Insanity.

Krakkles posted:

Hey, slack mods said they wanted this discussed here instead of there:

ADTRW as an initialism is a rape joke (Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse). Apparently at some point the mods of ADTRW decided that sort of wasn't cool, so they hand-waved that it means something else, but I think it's still pretty Not Ok. The #1 google result for ADTRW is the subforum itself, #2 is UrbanDictionary explaining that it stands for Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse.

Can we not participate in this name change with a rape joke?

I get that some people are comfortable with "they changed what they say it stands for and that's good enough for me", but I'm not, and I don't think I'm the only one.

I think AI is better than this and I'd like us to show it.

As for ADTRW's name. Yeah, its original name was "Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse" as a generally very lovely joke about anime as a medium, but the residents of adtrw collectively decided a decade or so ago that rape jokes were lovely and unfunny. They went by just the forum initials for a while in anything remotely "official" to the site and around 2013/2014 began backronyming it to a variety of other titles. There are some users in ADTRW who would prefer to have a whole acronym itself changed, but from what I understand, the majority of ADTRW forum users are fine with having the acronym remain while having a constantly changing backronym as its own joke that distances them from the forum's original name and its lovely connotations.

In the same way, if AI/CA decided that we as a community felt it was lovely to make light of mental illnesses through the references in our forum names, I'm sure the first thing that would be tried is backronyming the AI/CA initials into something else.

Same with TCC if they decided that collectively being referred to as a bunch of crackheads sucked.

And yeah, the urban dictionary definition gives ADTRW's original name, because the definition is from 2004, which is when it was what ADTRW stood for. Now it is just a jumble of letters that gets backronymed constantly and its spent more time as this definition than it did as its original definition. And I'd say the ADTRW users and mods get the actual say in what their forum name is and what it stands for than a bunch of nerds from another forum that don't post there.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The confederate flag is a symbol with 300 years of oppression, slavery and terror wrapped up into it. Adtrw is an anime forum on the internet. Apples and a nation composed of racist secessionists my dude.

And sure, for people that haven't actually interacted with the broader SA forum outside of their home forum in the last decade, it'll still have that connotation. But thats their fault for sequestering themselves and assuming the rest of the forum has remained exactly the same.

To draw an actual parallel, would you make the same fuss if I had the forum name to an Archer reference? If not, why? Because the show had that same basic joke in 2013, several years after ADTRW decided that using a reference to tentacle rape as their forum name was lovely.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

To answer why I'm taking such a strong stance on this, here ya go.

I don't think it helps that I don't think the original adtrw name was a rape joke in the definition of something that makes fun of the act of rape specifically, but rather a tasteless borderline racist/xenophobic joke about how anyone who likes animation from japan is a pervert who gets off to hentai. Tentacle rape was chosen because it is a unique subgenre of that particular medium and wasn't chosen because of the rape portion of it, but rather to drive home "lol, cartoon watchers are perverts". Tentacle rape being a subgenre of hentai is getting into a whole different bag of worms.

The second is that I feel that even it was a rape joke, its unnecessarily lovely to take that view of another forum on SA that is actively trying to distance themselves from the associations dumped on them previously. Sure, they could change their name and acronym, but you'd still have people responding to a mention of "the anime forum" with "oh, you mean adtrw, the forum with the dumb tentacle rape joke in the name?" Instead they've tried to toss out the lovely joke part of it and spent the better part of a decade making much better jokes by backromyning the initials. I find the way they've tried to rehabilitate it interesting and at times they've come up with some funny ones.

Everyone I've interacted with personally from adtrw has been perfectly fine and the suggestion that they're doing some dog whistle wink wink nudge nudge bit and secretly laughing about their forum acronym remaining being some secret rape joke is again making some very poor assumptions about them, whether intentional or not.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 25, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 15, 2022

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

vOv

I think that core disagreement is probably going to be an impasse, because tentacle rape being a part of rape culture and its part in the normalization of rape culture there is touching on parts of japanese culture that I am way too much of a white dude from the deep U.S. south to be commenting on.

In any case, If ya'll (meaning whoever has an idea) have a better backronym for another forum, post it up and we can change it.

I've lost the list I had previously, but some of the ones I can remember or have thought up since, do try to keep it below 32 characters (No, I don't know why I keep referencing subarus and yugos):

Goons Boiling Suitomos (Seat gets credit for this)
Generally Broken Subarus
Posting Yugos Favorably
Quick Change Steering (This one is toplitzen's)
Neverending Miata Discussion/Destruction
Broken Subaru Society
Porsches, Yugos, Fords
Toyotas Creatively Constructed
Centrifugal Superchargers Produce Automotive Magic

Edit: feel free to vote on any you like too. The cspam one is kinda tickling my fancy atm.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 26, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Fiats, Yugos, Audis, Datsuns
Goons With Subarus
Inspect Your Gearbox

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Elmnt80 posted:

Generally Broken Subarus

I'm feeling a bit targeted here. :v:

Krakkles posted:

Internet Vehicle Fixin' Wizards

Aren't some of us (...me) better at breakin vs fixin?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

THIS.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Just

Grab Overdrive (for) Automotive Time Sexual Experience

the rest of the forum, call it a day?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

BYOBD2

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Can you just remove the R and Rusty? Our cars need less rust, anyway.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

As far as the vote on keeping the name goes, if we have one "nay" and an uncountable number of abstensions, then the name should change. I'm happy with any of the alternatives.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I don't get the BYOBD2 title. :v:

Edit: I just said it aloud and it clicked. God drat it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Fast Apexs on Racing Tracks, Gravel Attrition Traps

Oh goddamn

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Elmnt80 posted:

I don't get the BYOBD2 title. :v:

Edit: I just said it aloud and it clicked. God drat it.
That's why it's the winner!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BYOBD2

dang

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah thats a winner

make the forum blue too

Adbot