Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cheesecake Factory vs Rainforest Cafe
Cheesecake Factory
Rainforest Cafe
lol Americans. Did you know you can make a better tasting burger for less money at home, here let me...
View Results

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

There's a debate on twitter about middle American chain restaurants

https://twitter.com/MeWeFree_/status/1302674868677292034

But as several people have pointed out the Cheesecake factory doesn't belong in this grouping because its at a higher price point and markets itself as more of a "special occasion" restaurant, at least to middle class suburbanites (yes I know you think you're too "good" to eat two daily servings of calories in a single meal in a tacky approximation of an Egyptian palace. Hold the elitism. I'm talking about Middle America and people who aren't lying to themselves here.) I think a better comparison would be the Rainforest Cafe. They're both mainly located in malls and they're both "special occasion" places for people who don't want to/can't afford "special occasion" place prices.

I think Cheesecake Factory wins on food. It's a bit more expensive but its tastier, there's more options, and its enough food to get me another meal out of it if I take it home.

Rainforest Cafe definitely wins on ambiance though. There's no way fake Egyptian columns could ever hold a candle to eating chicken tenders next to a gorilla statue while a white noise machine plays over the PA every 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Eating chicken tenders next to a gorilla statue while a white noise machine plays over the PA every 5 minutes.

Please don't doxx my home, op

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I knew a guy who was a mechanical engineer and worked at Applebees as a bartender some weekends. He didn't give a poo poo about the job or Applebees so long story short I used to get really drunk for free at Applebees.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I've never ate at either of them. I think the rainforest is a too long of a flight just to go to some cafe.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

The_Continental posted:

I knew a guy who was a mechanical engineer and worked at Applebees as a bartender some weekends. He didn't give a poo poo about the job or Applebees so long story short I used to get really drunk for free at Applebees.

Everytime I hear about people going to Applebees the story involves them getting very drunk. Seems like the chain to do it at.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Cheesecake factory is hardly a special occasion place, when I was in college that's where my friends always wanted to go and it was obnoxious

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pick posted:

Cheesecake factory is hardly a special occasion place, when I was in college that's where my friends always wanted to go and it was obnoxious
It is when you're really poor, same way Target is "fancy" to some.

Who What Now posted:

I've never ate at either of them. I think the rainforest is a too long of a flight just to go to some cafe.
I remember in the 90s Rainforest Cafe was one of the first chains in my area to get Waffle Fries so that had novelty value. It got really grungy over the years though-- you could tell the managers weren't very good. That crocodile out front turned to crap.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Everytime I hear about people going to Applebees the story involves them getting very drunk. Seems like the chain to do it at.
Applebees has poo poo all going for it outside of getting drunk. TGIFriday's too, but there's at least a few menu items that are worth a gently caress-- don't know if they're still there but they used to have really bomb mozzarella sticks. I think Chili's is the most reliable overall, but it's all still oversalted microwave food.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
For despicable normie food, I think my favorite probably Red Robin

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Red Robin has weird rear end touch screen ordering system now so that you don't have to interact with a waiter but the waiter brings you your food anyway. It makes no sense to me.

a nigga who smoke
Feb 26, 2007

coughin' and chokin' constantly
which one has the better ranch dressing OP

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

old spaghetti factory or gtfo op

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

The Rainforest Cafe in Sawgrass Mills is dingy and in a poor state of repair. The food was lousy. Whereas Cheesecake Factory is reliably mediocre everywhere you go.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Red Robin has weird rear end touch screen ordering system now so that you don't have to interact with a waiter but the waiter brings you your food anyway. It makes no sense to me.

There's pay-to-play games and stuff on there so it's another way for them to burn an extra hole in your wallet via an unattended kid or your own bored drunkenness.

The Voice of Labor posted:

If we're talking about terrible overrated food served in tacky as gently caress establishments that Boomers can't get enough of I think Cracker Barrel deserves a seat at the table too.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Cheesecake Factory is the big-box store of restaurants

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

rainforest cafe is where you take 5 little kids so you can ignore them for 45 minutes. cheesecake factory is where your entire family takes grandma for her birthday so everyone's satisfied with a ton of leftovers. plus loving cheesecake

how is this even a question op???

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
the food at rainforest cafe sucks massive rear end HOWEVER....the ambiance is truly 5 star

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Crusty Nutsack posted:

rainforest cafe is where you take 5 little kids so you can ignore them for 45 minutes. cheesecake factory is where your entire family takes grandma for her birthday so everyone's satisfied with a ton of leftovers. plus loving cheesecake

how is this even a question op???

I have not gone to rainforest cafe since I was a little kid and am relying on those memories.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Do Americans really go to chain restaurants for special occasions beyond children's birthday parties?

E: Also we have or had a place here called the Cheesecake Shop but all they sold were cheesecakes. Does the Cheesecake Factory sell things other than cheesecakes?

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 7, 2020

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

The Voice of Labor posted:

:hmmyes:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think there was only a TGIF and then a Ruby Tuesday's where I was when growing up, and I definitely preferred the former.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I have not gone to rainforest cafe since I was a little kid and am relying on those memories.

my memories of rainforest cafe include animatronic gorillas, a "rainstorm," and a giant fish tank arch you walked under to get to the dining area. they were all pretty cool but I have a feeling today's kids are not as easily impressed

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Do Americans really go to chain restaurants for special occasions beyond children's birthday parties?

E: Also we have or had a place here called the Cheesecake Shop but all they sold were cheesecakes. Does the Cheesecake Factory sell things other than cheesecakes?

1. Yes. Especially if they're lower-middle or working class. I wouldn't but my grandma from the Appalachian mountains absolutely would. It very much depends on what kind of American you are.

2. Do you know how when Gordon Ramsey first goes to a new restaurant he always complains about how many menu items they have and tells them to cut it down to a page? The Cheesecake factory has over 250 non-Cheesecake items. Their menus are double digit pages, its on expensive printed binders so they can re-use them and they sell ad-space to non-Cheesecake factory businesses help pay for their enormous fancy menus.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 7, 2020

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
the one time I went to the rainforest cafe was the one within walking distance from disneyland a few years ago, and they made the single best steak I've ever had in my life
I was not expecting it at all and I would not expect it again if I went back. I knew as soon as I took one bite, this is a good, good, good, good, good, good, good motherfucking steak.I completely shut out my family's dinner table chatter and just tried to be present for the unbelievably good steak, a grateful and aware presence for every bite like a buddhist monk

I may or may not agree that cheesecake factory is slightly tastier than applebees

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

1. Yes. Especially if they're lower-middle or working class. I wouldn't but my grandma from the Appalachian mountains absolutely would. It very much depends on what kind of American you are.

2. Do you know how when Gordon Ramsey first goes to a new restaurant he always complains about how many menu items they have and tells them to cut it down to a page? The Cheesecake factory has over 250 non-Cheesecake items. Their menus are double digit pages, its on expensive printed binders so they can re-use them and they sell ad-space to non-Cheesecake factory businesses help pay for their enormous fancy menus.

1: I see. How unfortunate for them.

2: I do not know. I find cooking shows tedious, dull, and had I the desire to hear a loud boor yell at service staff I'd visit this "Cheesecake Factory".

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I haven't been in years but I remember cheesecake factory's food being incredibly bland, especially for the price. Like 200 items and it all tasted the same. You sure get a fuckload of it though!

TGI Fridays and Chili's both had 2 for 1 beers with decent beer on tap so I could at least get my drink on.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

i need a mod to edit in Dick's Last Resort into the poll because a chain restaurant whose theme is the waiters are really mean and inappropriate to you its really nutso.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Millennials are rightly driving these places out of business but if I had to choose one I guess I would pick bonefish grill. It's ok.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

i need a mod to edit in Dick's Last Resort into the poll because a chain restaurant whose theme is the waiters are really mean and inappropriate to you its really nutso.

I wandered into the the Wiener's Cirle wandering around Chicago one night not knowing what I was getting in to. It was..an experience.

Whooping Crabs fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 7, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i've never seen a cheesecake factory that wasn't obscenely crowded. somewhat adequate food in large portions really isn't worth that hassle.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Where is the Golden Corral option? All you can eat steaks!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i've never seen a cheesecake factory that wasn't obscenely crowded.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Sometimes my girl wants to go shopping at the mall and she brings me with her because she just likes to go places with me. But I dont like shopping, so I tell her that Im gonna go "do my own thing" while she shops. "My own thing" is getting horrendously stoned with a vape pen and eating garbage at Cheesecake Factory while she buys clothes that she probably wont ever take the tag off of.

God bless America

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

All of those restaurants in the OP are garbage, this isn't even a "well you can make better food at home" post it's a "you can get better food by eating out of a loving trash can, those places are all that bad" post

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
The biscuits at Red Lobster are legit

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Zugzwang posted:

The biscuits at Red Lobster are legit

so true

this is the best copycat recipe I've found for them: https://www.thrillist.com/recipe/nation/cheddar-bay-biscuits-thrillist-recipes

so loving good

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i've never seen a cheesecake factory that wasn't obscenely crowded. somewhat adequate food in large portions really isn't worth that hassle.

have you been to one recently? :grin:

quote:

Having already failed to make rent payments on time in the spring, The Cheesecake Factory has been facing financial troubles since the start of the crisis.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Being in a rainforest cafe is definitely more embarrassing.

"VOLCANO!!!!!"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So does Cheescake Factory actually have good, you know, cheescakes?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Listen OP the Doughboys have eaten at all these lovely American chains and the Cheesecake Factory made the platinum plate club so there’s your answer buddy

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Mordja posted:

So does Cheescake Factory actually have good, you know, cheescakes?

It’s alright but seriously overpriced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Sometimes my girl wants to go shopping at the mall and she brings me with her because she just likes to go places with me. But I dont like shopping, so I tell her that Im gonna go "do my own thing" while she shops. "My own thing" is getting horrendously stoned with a vape pen and eating garbage at Cheesecake Factory while she buys clothes that she probably wont ever take the tag off of.

God bless America

Get a divorce